'Prohibition' on PBS HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-04-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have found the first two parts very interesting. Seems fair and balanced and gives a lot of insight into why the amendment came to be and the problems after the amendment. It was, dare I say it, "educational".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It's flippin' compelling (IMO)...

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #3 of 18 Old 10-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Unwatchable for me. I've tried several times, maybe I am burned out on the Ken Burns style. I enjoyed the Civil War and the first baseball series, so he is 2 for 6 for me, Thats a decent average.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #4 of 18 Old 10-04-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
One can do only so much having several photographs and a couple of film reels. The info was interesting, I watched it.

I suppose it translates 100% into current fight with narcotics, providing eh... opportunity to many people.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I like documentaries...so this is Great TV. After watching all of Boardwalk Empire's Season 1, this is a great companion.

If there is a Boardwalk Empire Blu-ray this would be the ultimate extra/bonus feature.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
On my DVR... will hopefully get to it and see if they cover some of the parts that I am most interested in...

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #7 of 18 Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

I suppose it translates 100% into current fight with narcotics, providing eh... opportunity to many people.

Well yes ... that's the easy, "on-the-surface" conclusion. Clearly, there are more "lessons" and warnings to take away from the program.

Anyhow, liked it ... but I'm glad it's over so I can get back to my normal, non-live, commercial-skipping, scofflaw TV viewing ways.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I watched it Tuesday Night. I got all the info I need about Prohibition so I probably won't be watching much more of it.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #9 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
It's great to see this in HD on a 100" screen; you don't realize how much detail was in those old photos!

I wish they would release all his other docs on blu-ray...
post #10 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

One can do only so much having several photographs and a couple of film reels. The info was interesting, I watched it.

I don't think it relates at all. The widespread use of alchohol does not translate to the widespread use of illegal drugs. Sure a lot of people use them but nowhere near as much as alchohol. I think you could make a better argument for outlawing cigarettes several years ago before the health hazards came out and I think you would have seen the same outcome. That said, I have not yet watched the last part (on dvr). Did they specifically relate this to today's debate on drugs or did you just "derive" that from the program because I sure didn't get that out of it?
post #11 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

I don't think it relates at all. The widespread use of alchohol does not translate to the widespread use of illegal drugs. Sure a lot of people use them but nowhere near as much as alchohol. I think you could make a better argument for outlawing cigarettes several years ago before the health hazards came out and I think you would have seen the same outcome. That said, I have not yet watched the last part (on dvr). Did they specifically relate this to today's debate on drugs or did you just "derive" that from the program because I sure didn't get that out of it?

It is very easy to make the connection. Morality cannot be legislated. Prohibition of alcohol proved this beyond all doubt. The 'war on drugs' has been a complete failure. It seems we never learn from history, no matter how recent.

Art
post #12 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

It is very easy to make the connection. Morality cannot be legislated. Prohibition of alcohol proved this beyond all doubt. The 'war on drugs' has been a complete failure. It seems we never learn from history, no matter how recent.

Art

I see that connection and that the war on drugs is a failure, but I really don't think that was the point of "Prohibition". In other words, I don't think it was a "politically" motivated show. While drug use is rampant in the US, it pales in comparision to illegal drinking during prohibition. The only thing I heard was people quoting "you can't legislate morality" but of course you could say that about prostitution, even murder and we certainly do legislate against murder. It is immoral to kill and it is illegal to kill except in certain circumtances. It is immoral to steal but it is against the law. The show pointed out that the age of consent was 10 until some of the temperance people got it raised to 16. How is that not legislating morality. I could go on. In a way, it is sheer percentages. If 50% of the US populaton smoked pot fairly openly, they would make it legal. How could they not, it would be impossible to enforce.

That said, I agree with your points just that I don't think the show was trying to make an argument for legalizing drugs any more than it was for legalizing prostitution. Now a thinking person can certainly make that argument but then it leads to PBS is just an outlet for liberals (or libertarians on this issue) and I don't think that "Prohibition" was trying to do that.

Bottom line is I don't think the show was making that connection unless it happened in Part 3 which I have not watched. The viewer certainly may want to make that connection (or they may want to point out differences) but that is the VIEWER, not the show itself.

P.S. One of the most interesting aspects of the show was that it was the progressives who were pushing for drinking to be illegal because it was destroying the family. They also pushed for the age of consent to be raised, child labor laws and several other issues that in retrospect seem to be great steps forward.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I wonder why they started running the Burns series all in one week? They used to do one episode a week. And then they may not repeat it again either. Kinda weird.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I wonder why too. I missed the second part, but fortunately it's being replayed this weekend at 2 am or something like that. I have it set to record. I was hesitant about recording the "series" because I thought PBS might be using this as a back drop for their beg-a-thon, which annoys me to no end. I'll watch parts 2 & 3 over the weekend. All in all, this is a good history lesson.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #15 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

I see that connection and that the war on drugs is a failure, but I really don't think that was the point of "Prohibition". In other words, I don't think it was a "politically" motivated show.

I agree with everything you wrote. It didn't explicitly mention the war on drugs, etc., but it's easy to see the parallels between the two. The hypocrisy, and mistrust of authority. I certainly don't believe everything under the sun should be legal, but it should focus on personal responsibility instead of banning things that some people abuse.

I enjoyed the Chicago connection, as I've been to some of Capone's old haunts in the past.

Art
post #16 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The one thing that stood out for me so far was that the 16th amendment (income tax) was strongly supported by the Prohibitionists because the revenue collected by the excise taxes on alcohol would need to come from somewhere else if alcohol was banned.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I enjoyed the Chicago connection, as I've been to some of Capone's old haunts in the past.

Art

Cool
post #18 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

The one thing that stood out for me so far was that the 16th amendment (income tax) was strongly supported by the Prohibitionists because the revenue collected by the excise taxes on alcohol would need to come from somewhere else if alcohol was banned.

Now we have both
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page