post #421 of 1605 Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Unless the Captain is very good at keeping his emotions in check, I'm not sure yet if he is even a Wesen. So far none of them have been able to hide what they are to Nick, but the Captain somehow has.

One thing's for sure: whenever the captain does reveal himself, we can count on Nick to be completely subtle about noticing it. Hopefully they aren't in motion when it happens, or Nick's liable to walk into a door. I hope he doesn't play poker.

On the bright side, this episode was leagues better than the others. I can only hope that the rest of the season follows the same path, because it would be really hard to return to the dull procedural filler after finally getting some meat and potatoes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1605 Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

On the bright side, this episode was leagues better than the others. I can only hope that the rest of the season follows the same path, because it would be really hard to return to the dull procedural filler after finally getting some meat and potatoes.

Agreed...we now have some good stuff to mine for upcoming episodes.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #423 of 1605 Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I agree that the last couple of show have been the best. Unfortunately, the ratings slide a bit for the last show for no apparent reason. Although their lead-in was a rerun last week, but it's not as if "Who do you think you are?" is a great lead-in Grimm anyway.
post #424 of 1605 Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

One thing's for sure: whenever the captain does reveal himself, we can count on Nick to be completely subtle about noticing it. Hopefully they aren't in motion when it happens, or Nick's liable to walk into a door. I hope he doesn't play poker.

Come on. Nick's learning. When the Varrick hit man revealed himself in the last ep Nick barely even batted an eye. Personally I would have liked to see a couple more mediocre ep's to weed out all the people who came out of the woodwork recently to bitch about how bad the show is. I'd gladly put up with a few more filler episodes if it means not having to listen to years of complaining from people who were never quite happy with the show anyway.

ron
post #425 of 1605 Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Come on. Nick's learning. When the Varrick hit man revealed himself in the last ep Nick barely even batted an eye.

One of us must have missed something. When I was watching it, it looked to me like Nick was shocked and had to turn his head to the side to avoid showing off his surprise, but he was still so obvious that the Varrick easily identified him as a Grimm, which was why he told off the captain for hiding Nick's abilities in their subsequent phone conversation. I got the impression that he didn't know about Nick until they met.
post #426 of 1605 Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

One of us must have missed something. When I was watching it, it looked to me like Nick was shocked and had to turn his head to the side to avoid showing off his surprise, but he was still so obvious that the Varrick easily identified him as a Grimm, which was why he told off the captain for hiding Nick's abilities in their subsequent phone conversation. I got the impression that he didn't know about Nick until they met.

We know that the Reapers know that Nick is in Portland and they want to make an example of him. The Capt. warned them off, but be prepared for a push back. However, the Varrek assassin was in the dark until he got there. The Capt. has been playing his own game wrt to the noble houses he's been in contact with. We've seen this with the coins and with the key. Obviously, there's quite a bit of shifting alliances going on. Also, I'd really like to get a better grasp as the the Reapers role. They seem to be a power group, but not like the Varrek. Are they aligned, independent or what? Hope we find out soon, since 4 of them are coming to Portland this week.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #427 of 1605 Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
As to when a Wesen know he is a Grimm, it's been shown that they don't know until they "transform" in front of him, the bad cat guy that had the bird lady captured had no idea he was a Grimm at first. My guess is once they transform their "vision" changes and they can see Nick as a Grimm.

Wife and I both really like this show. Also glad that Rosalee will be a regular next season. Next they just need to figure out something to do with Juliet.

Everything is clicking into place and you can see the Buffy influences more now. The Scoobe Gang is coming together!

Scott
post #428 of 1605 Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Come on. Nick's learning. When the Varrick hit man revealed himself in the last ep Nick barely even batted an eye. Personally I would have liked to see a couple more mediocre ep's to weed out all the people who came out of the woodwork recently to bitch about how bad the show is. I'd gladly put up with a few more filler episodes if it means not having to listen to years of complaining from people who were never quite happy with the show anyway.

ron

I wrote ONE negative post THREE WEEKS AGO Some did respond to it but its been quite some time since it has been mentioned. And you've projected from that one post "years of complaining?" Settle down, its not going to happen.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #429 of 1605 Old 04-26-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is not a Wesen ..

I'm waiting for Braunschweiger and Schwarzenegger ...

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #430 of 1605 Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any guesses out there as to what the Captain really is?

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #431 of 1605 Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Next they just need to figure out something to do with Juliet.

I would really like this to happen. I like the Juliet character and think she could be a strong ally to Nick. That would involve her in the show more than simply collateral damage victim.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #432 of 1605 Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tonite's episode was very good....good step-up for the show.

The WAR is on...

post #433 of 1605 Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Kinda upset that they didn't invite Rosalie to dinner. Aren't they a couple?

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #434 of 1605 Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Kinda upset that they didn't invite Rosalie to dinner. Aren't they a couple?

I don't think they are "officially."

post #435 of 1605 Old 04-28-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Tonite's episode was very good....good step-up for the show.

The WAR is on...

Good episode. Only caveat, how did Nick know **whom** to send the heads to in the box?

I still can't beleive that Nick and his other half never addressed that she turned down his proposal.

Some sloppy writting in both instances.
post #436 of 1605 Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

Good episode. Only caveat, how did Nick know **whom** to send the heads to in the box?

Searched the corpses and found the address for Reaper HQ in Mannheim, I guess. I can see it now, Nick's going to get grass roots support from all the right thinking Wesen...they'll elect him Sheriff and then he'll come in conflict with the Captain...or maybe there will be a political accomodation. Something's got to happen along that front somehow, because he's definitely going to need some help from above.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #437 of 1605 Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I can see it now, Nick's going to get grass roots support from all the right thinking Wesen...they'll elect him Sheriff and then he'll come in conflict with the Captain...or maybe there will be a political accomodation.

Hmmmm, you may be on to something...

post #438 of 1605 Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

It's slowly sinking by the fact the simple fact the writers continually make him a wuss every week. He's supposed to be a Grimm!

Now that would be my point also - I keep expecting him to eventually become some big strong dude that just doesn't take no mess - but yet they keep portraying him as this "nice guy" - that gets pushed around way to much by the very beings that are supposed to be soooo afraid of him. Also - have they ever actually shown what everyone sees when they look at him and see a Grimm?
post #439 of 1605 Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

Now that would be my point also - I keep expecting him to eventually become some big strong dude that just doesn't take no mess - but yet they keep portraying him as this "nice guy" - that gets pushed around way to much by the very beings that are supposed to be soooo afraid of him. Also - have they ever actually shown what everyone sees when they look at him and see a Grimm?

Well, seemingly, with a little practice with hanging melons in the forest, Nick's now become an expert with a war club. I'd say that he kicked a little reaper ass this week...so I'm guessing that heightened reflexes come with the Grimm gene.

post #440 of 1605 Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I am under the impression that Grimm's are supposed to have enhanced strength, speed, and agility. Wasn't there some hint at that in the cage fighting episode or just prior to that?
Nick's issue is that his Grimm abilities are still being developed. It wasn't until his aunt was nearly dead that any of them were passed on.
post #441 of 1605 Old 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

I am under the impression that Grimm's are supposed to have enhanced strength, speed, and agility. Wasn't there some hint at that in the cage fighting episode or just prior to that?
Nick's issue is that his Grimm abilities are still being developed. It wasn't until his aunt was nearly dead that any of them were passed on.

Maybe so...Nick certainly got knocked around and was slower than the beast of the week for most of this season, but he has been holding his own recently...more than his own in the last ep.

post #442 of 1605 Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

Also - have they ever actually shown what everyone sees when they look at him and see a Grimm?

The fact that the camera still takes the time to look at him being wide-eyed with surprise every time he sees something with his powers makes me believe that his reaction is still the only thing giving him away.
post #443 of 1605 Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The fact that the camera still takes the time to look at him being wide-eyed with surprise every time he sees something with his powers makes me believe that his reaction is still the only thing giving him away.

This is one of those interesting dilemmas that happens in film-making which isn't a problem in a book. In a book the narration would be in Nick's head and the reader would know what Nick saw via the narration.

But how does the audience know what Nick saw in a film?

Doing a reaction shot of Nick works in general, but it's obviously starting to get rather silly in this show. Would it be enough to just show the morphing and let the audience assume that Nick saw it? Perhaps a POV shot of the morphing from over Nick's shoulder would be a better way do this rather than the close-ups that they currently use?

Perhaps there's some other better way to do it without Nick making bug-eyes every time?
post #444 of 1605 Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And would a poker face not actually be better as to not tip off the Wesen .. ?? Does he want them to know he's a Grimm .. ??

At any rate, the words out around town anyway

"You know that cop, Nick what's his name .. ?? .. he's a Grimm, pass it on" ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #445 of 1605 Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Would it be enough to just show the morphing and let the audience assume that Nick saw it?

I'd say so, considering Nick is generally the only person in each scene who has the ability to see it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

And would a poker face not actually be better as to not tip off the Wesen .. ?? Does he want them to know he's a Grimm ..

That's my point.

Quote:

I hope he doesn't play poker.

post #446 of 1605 Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

And would a poker face not actually be better as to not tip off the Wesen .. ?? Does he want them to know he's a Grimm .. ??

I don't think it's his reaction to them that tips them off. I think when they morph their vision changes and they are able to see Nick for what he really is, a Grimm. Because every time he meets a Wesen they never know he's a Grimm until they morph. They just haven't shown us that yet on screen.

Scott
post #447 of 1605 Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, my current theory with Juliette is she is some sort of "sleeper agent" that doesn't know who she really is until she is activated. She may be a reaper or part of that other group from a couple episodes back (the guy that kept killing people in his way and threatened the photo shop guys kids). This would explain why she is really good with a gun.

Expect her to "wake up" in the finale is my current guess.

Scott
post #448 of 1605 Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think it's his reaction to them that tips them off. I think when they morph their vision changes and they are able to see Nick for what he really is, a Grimm. Because every time he meets a Wesen they never know he's a Grimm until they morph. They just haven't shown us that yet on screen.

Interesting theory .. Nick does not seem to know they are a Wesen until they morph .. and the Wesen do not know he's a Grimm until they morph ..

Uncle Willie

post #449 of 1605 Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

Yea, he is just now "embracing" his Grimm'ness. We see him entering in his first journal entry about creatures recently and figuring he needs to train a bit more which we just saw this episode.

From the wiki (which I will use spoiler tags on just in case) which explains some of the Grimms "powers" including good natural combat skills:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

While not generally thought of as a Wesen species, Grimms share a bloodline trait separating them from normal humans. Grimms are essentially humans capable of seeing creatures' true Wesen nature. Most Wesen consider Grimms to be mythical boogeymen, as only one member of a specific family can see them at any given time. A member of the next generation receives the gift as the last approaches their deathbed or is murdered. It is a long-standing tradition that Grimms document and hunt Wesen who attack the general population. Grimms seem to possess in-born fighting abilities and are good at profiling people. They traditionally kill Wesen by decapitating them, and keep journals recording their encounters with Wesen for future Grimms to learn from. Although the protagonist Nick Burkhardt has been informed that Grimms only hunt "the bad ones" of the supernatural world, many of the creatures he encounters are instinctively afraid of him even if he has no reason to attack them. A regular Blutbad character (Monroe) once stated that Nick is not like other Grimms, suggesting that Grimms have acquired an excessively negative reputation over the years. Grimms can withstand the power of the Coins of Zakynthos, which makes ordinary humans and Wesen become overconfident, power-hungry and obsessive. They have been guardians of the Coins for many generations. It has been suggested that if a Wesen ingests the blood of a Grimm, it will strip them of their powers and abilities, essentially turning the Wesen into an ordinary human.

Scott
post #450 of 1605 Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea, he is just now "embracing" his Grimm'ness. We see him entering in his first journal entry about creatures recently and figuring he needs to train a bit more which we just saw this episode.

From the wiki (which I will use spoiler tags on just in case) which explains some of the Grimms "powers" including good natural combat skills:

Spoiler  

While not generally thought of as a Wesen species, Grimms share a bloodline trait separating them from normal humans. Grimms are essentially humans capable of seeing creatures' true Wesen nature. Most Wesen consider Grimms to be mythical boogeymen, as only one member of a specific family can see them at any given time. A member of the next generation receives the gift as the last approaches their deathbed or is murdered. It is a long-standing tradition that Grimms document and hunt Wesen who attack the general population. Grimms seem to possess in-born fighting abilities and are good at profiling people. They traditionally kill Wesen by decapitating them, and keep journals recording their encounters with Wesen for future Grimms to learn from. Although the protagonist Nick Burkhardt has been informed that Grimms only hunt "the bad ones" of the supernatural world, many of the creatures he encounters are instinctively afraid of him even if he has no reason to attack them. A regular Blutbad character (Monroe) once stated that Nick is not like other Grimms, suggesting that Grimms have acquired an excessively negative reputation over the years. Grimms can withstand the power of the Coins of Zakynthos, which makes ordinary humans and Wesen become overconfident, power-hungry and obsessive. They have been guardians of the Coins for many generations. It has been suggested that if a Wesen ingests the blood of a Grimm, it will strip them of their powers and abilities, essentially turning the Wesen into an ordinary human.

That pretty much sums up what we've seen so far. It's nice that it's explicit about of couple of details we've been wondering about. It's really not spoiler material, I don't think.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Grimm Season One Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Grimm The Complete Second Season Blu Ray Ultraviolet Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page