Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #541 of 1612 Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I like the old show opening, more mysterious and looming and I don't really like long explanation openings. Thought this was kind of a nothing happens, reacquaint the audience episode. Ok but nothing great.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is it just me or were they making his mom seem very suspicious? She always had a look of her face like she wasn't who she seems.
But then she knew all about the trailer and even little tricks like getting the desks secret drawer to open, so I'm assuming she's telling the truth.....?
post #543 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Great episode!

Too litthe Bitsie though, she got paid to sleep.. oh well..

All this is going to lead that she forgets Nick completely or just the suspicious parts about the Wessen and that he's a Grimm... one of the two..

I think they are also going cliche and the antidote for her awakening is a kiss with the new potion, and she falls in love with whoever kisses her... Nick is kinda busy right now with the new monster..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #544 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I like the old show opening, more mysterious and looming and I don't really like long explanation openings. Thought this was kind of a nothing happens, reacquaint the audience episode. Ok but nothing great.

Nothing happens .. ?? I must be watching a different show ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #545 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Indeed so much happening that it wasn't enough for one episode, I can't wait for the next one!

post #546 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Indeed so much happening that it wasn't enough for one episode, I can't wait for the next one!

Yeah, I watched it last night, was getting really into it, not watching the time...and then it was over...a 2 parter...NOOOOO!!!!!mad.gif

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #547 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I meant with the main bad guy/threat. Started up with it, then a bunch of other stuff happens, then final act at the warehouse, then "continued". I love how a bad guy can just call up an FBI agent and get them to go anywhere.

post #548 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I think the new opening is for new viewers they hope they picked up because of all the ads during the Olympics.

smile.gif
-Will
post #549 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Love the new opening. Looks like this season is going to be more serious and kick-ass Grimm action. Hope the Mom sticks around a while, she adds continuity that the Aunt would have had she not kicked the bucket so soon. I love Monroe filling in the history but having his Mom add to it is so much more personal.
tomhunter8 likes this.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #550 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Love the new opening. Looks like this season is going to be more serious and kick-ass Grimm action. Hope the Mom sticks around a while, she adds continuity that the Aunt would have had she not kicked the bucket so soon. I love Monroe filling in the history but having his Mom add to it is so much more personal.

I liked the new opening as well .. I think it also says "We have plans for this show" ..
tomhunter8 likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #551 of 1612 Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Liked: 11
Post summary: Bad A** Mom Returns to Son's Life After Fighting Global Evil Conspiracy - Grimm, Chuck, Terminator - others?

I've seen a pattern over the last few years in at least Grimm, Chuck, and the Terminator movies - am I missing any? And maybe it's just my memory but I can't think of anything similar with Dad's coming back after fighting the global evil conspiracy / group / monsters / etc (or are Bad A** Mom's still enough of a novelty that they are more memorable?) Although in Chuck it was both the Dad and the Mom (however, the Mom was more Bad A**).

It popped in my head the other night watching the S2 premier and then noting the similarities and differences between the performances by Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (I still love her Abyss performance the best of anything she's done ... and yeah, I had to look up her name to spell it correctly), Linda Hamilton (Chuck), and .... oh wait, Linda Hamilton (Terminator movies). I forgot Linda did both Chuck and the T's.

I thought the editors or special effects people did something to "spookify" Mary A's eyes for Grimm, but looking at her IMDB profile pic that seems to be their natural color / look.

The S2 premier seems to be somewhat darker and more serious than S1 (at least compared to most of S1) - I don't mind (and it fits in with the overall story arc), but I hope they keep the humor and whimsy from Monroe and sometimes the other characters (that balance is what has kept me and the family watching every episode).

Cliff
post #552 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
So why did they spend so much time in the beginning to show us a boat from ten days ago floating in the water, then show us the boat one day ago and then a few hours ago??????????? What was the point of that?

Also, wouldn't the doctors be freaking out if Nick's wife had pitch black eyes like they showed????

post #553 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Well, that was interesting.
After an entire season of the showrunners emphatically declaring that Grimm was going to be episodic not serial, they start the second season with a segment that's the antithesis of episodic.
If it goes episodic I will quit watching. All the new monsters are already boring and passed silly about 2/3rds through the first season. It is only the story of the ruling families, coins, keys etc that keeps it interesting. Without the serial components it is poor imitation of Kolchak.
post #554 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 AM

Liked: 12
I gave up on this 1/2 into the first season.
I am surprised it made it to season 2
post #555 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

So why did they spend so much time in the beginning to show us a boat from ten days ago floating in the water, then show us the boat one day ago and then a few hours ago??????????? What was the point of that?
Also, wouldn't the doctors be freaking out if Nick's wife had pitch black eyes like they showed????

Boat scenes I can't venture a guess .. I'm pretty sure it's Nick's girlfriend .. I have suspected there is more to her than meets the eye (pun intended) .. perhaps she is actually a wesen .. somhow able to keep her identity hidden .. of some other as yet unrevealed creature ..

Uncle Willie

post #556 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK and was obvious that the boat scenes just told us how much time the beast was in it killing those people in the container..

post #557 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

Wow... So much time? I just checked and the total opening with the container ship was a massive 50 seconds! That included the standard written saying they always have at the beginning of the episodes overlayed on it at the beginning, and another good chunk showing the containers in the hold with ominous sounds of distress being heard from them. It showed that the container come all the way from somewhere across the Atlantic before making it's way around to the Pacific, into the Columbia River and up to Portland. The dark, rainy scenes also established a "grim" mood and atmosphere. It's the kind of thing many would cite as adding higher production values instead of simply showing dead bodies in a container at the port with someone telling someone else where it came from. It's amazing the lack of patience many viewers exhibit these days. You don't happen to have a prescription for Ritalin do you biggrin.gif

As far as Juliette's dark eyes go, you do realize Grimm is a fantasy show about monsters right? Did you ever wonder if the police in Sunnydale freaked out due to all the vampires, demons etc running around town creating havoc in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Perhaps you would be better served to limit your viewing to sports and documentaries on PBS so as to not exceed your threshold of suspending disbelief?

ron
post #558 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Yikes...I was going to ask about the boat scene...now I'm glad I didn't...
post #559 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
when the ship docked I half expected to see the name "Demeter" painted on it's bow.

Steve S.
post #560 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
For those of you who missed that literary reference, the Demeter was a Russian ship that when it came to port in England, had no crew members left alive, only a poor madman named Renfrew. Then they discovered several large wooden crates that needed to be delivered to an English estate leased by a Romanian count named Dracula.

I was waiting for the ship to be the SS Big Horn, which in fact it greatly resembled.

Instead, we have a Darth Maul clone with saberteeth.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #561 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Wow... So much time? I just checked and the total opening with the container ship was a massive 50 seconds! That included the standard written saying they always have at the beginning of the episodes overlayed on it at the beginning, and another good chunk showing the containers in the hold with ominous sounds of distress being heard from them. It showed that the container come all the way from somewhere across the Atlantic before making it's way around to the Pacific, into the Columbia River and up to Portland. The dark, rainy scenes also established a "grim" mood and atmosphere. It's the kind of thing many would cite as adding higher production values instead of simply showing dead bodies in a container at the port with someone telling someone else where it came from. It's amazing the lack of patience many viewers exhibit these days. You don't happen to have a prescription for Ritalin do you biggrin.gif
As far as Juliette's dark eyes go, you do realize Grimm is a fantasy show about monsters right? Did you ever wonder if the police in Sunnydale freaked out due to all the vampires, demons etc running around town creating havoc in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Perhaps you would be better served to limit your viewing to sports and documentaries on PBS so as to not exceed your threshold of suspending disbelief?
ron

Regardless if it was 50 seconds or 5 minutes, it still was pointless and could of been better served with something that made the point better, having something in there for almost a minute that served no real purpose and just took away from the show unncessarily. Trying to show us that it came a long way, really? People don't realize ships on the ocean take awhile to get somewhere?

As for his girlfriend, I did not watch buffy and what in the world does that have to do with this show? Are they in the same universe together, are they sequels? What happened in buffy has no relevence to this show, buffy was a different kind of show and how they portrayed their universe of supernaturals is completely different then the universe of Grimm which has tried to show you that only other creatures can see each other. So I have to limit my viewing because it did not make sense that her doctors ignore her pitch black eyes? What a stupid comment on your part. Even if this is a fantasy show, we still have be invested into the show and they still have to follow some rules or they could just all start flying in the air with no explanation but based on your comment we wouldn't care because it is a fantasy show so don't question anything.

This is one of the best shows on TV, but I still am not going to blindly watch it and ignore all mistakes they make. I will NOT drink your kool-aid!

post #562 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Boat scenes I can't venture a guess .. I'm pretty sure it's Nick's girlfriend .. I have suspected there is more to her than meets the eye (pun intended) .. perhaps she is actually a wesen .. somhow able to keep her identity hidden .. of some other as yet unrevealed creature ..

That probaby makes sense, or that since she was poisoned by something "supernatural" only another supe can see the effect on her, perhaps when the doctors look they are normal. I can buy that as it goes with what they have established in the show.

post #563 of 1612 Old 08-16-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I too was pleasantly surprised that they have seemed to raise the bar for this series. Not a big fan of "to be continued" shows but once in awhile is OK.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #564 of 1612 Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Quote:
This is one of the best shows on TV, but I still am not going to blindly watch it and ignore all mistakes they make. I will NOT drink your kool-aid!
If you think this show is good you owe yorself a look at Buffy. Greenwalt was a showrunner on that show too-check out the episode "Angel" from the 1st season of Buffy for a taste of how good it can be. Just know it gets even better than that.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #565 of 1612 Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

If you think this show is good you owe yorself a look at Buffy. Greenwalt was a showrunner on that show too-check out the episode "Angel" from the 1st season of Buffy for a taste of how good it can be. Just know it gets even better than that.

What station re-runs Buffy now? I don't know anything about Buffy except she hunted vampirs or something.

post #566 of 1612 Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

What station re-runs Buffy now? I don't know anything about Buffy except she hunted vampirs or something.

I'm not sure of any stations currently repeating Buffy at the moment, but I believe the entire series (and Angel) are available on Netflix Instant Streaming.

Rocky
post #567 of 1612 Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Buffy is available in its entirety via Amazon Prime (free) service.
post #568 of 1612 Old 08-17-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

I'm not sure of any stations currently repeating Buffy at the moment, but I believe the entire series (and Angel) are available on Netflix Instant Streaming.

Both Buffy and Angel are complete on Netflix. I see Buffy on some non-HD channels on occasions such as Chiller or Logo. Angel has been early morning on TNT for years in HD which I watched when I couldn't sleep.

post #569 of 1612 Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Finally watched last night and gotta say I loved it. About time! The new opening reminded me of Buffy, while the gore in the ship scenes seemed to be a warning that this season was going to be intense and much darker ...or should I say grim...This is what I expected from a show with Greenwalt's name on it. Welcome back David!

Agree that there is more going on with the mom than meets the eye.
tomhunter8 likes this.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #570 of 1612 Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I too loved the new opening. I really liked this show last season and it just keeps getting better.

edit: I know the special effects aren't very good, but for me the storylines overcome that flaw.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Grimm Season One Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Grimm The Complete Second Season Blu Ray Ultraviolet Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page