Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #31 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
not a big fan of baseball, especially on TV. Really looking forward to watching tonight. With Fringe on hiatus I will be tuning in real-time.

Can't wait!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

So now the premiere of Grimm gets to go up against game 7 of the World Series. Good game, NBC.

Well, in my case it's actually allowing Grimm to be watched by me since I'll have a tuner free that isn't recording Fringe.
post #33 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

Well, in my case it's actually allowing Grimm to be watched by me since I'll have a tuner free that isn't recording Fringe.

Ditto
post #34 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
CBS is wisely switching to reruns tonight. NBC should do the same. (Dateline or something.)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...game-7/108828/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #35 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

CBS is wisely switching to reruns tonight. NBC should do the same. (Dateline or something.)

Except I believe it's reruns of the shows that normally run in the slots. They aren't swapping out a completely different show. Grimm hasn't aired yet to give them a re-run episode and has already been pushed back once.

At a certain point, they have to simply hope not only for the best, but that their fan base doesn't watch baseball.
post #36 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

People actually watch CBS, though.
post #37 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

People actually watch CBS, though.

Further, the actually have a reasonably successful lineup on Friday with shows that, like most CBS shows, repeat well.

Grimm is an unproven show that even the potential fan base might get tired of waiting for.

If I were NBC, I would have scheduled a re-air tomorrow night for those baseball fans that might not have DVR powers but are interested in the show - and promote the hell out of it.
post #38 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

If I were NBC, I would have scheduled a re-air tomorrow night for those baseball fans that might not have DVR powers but are interested in the show - and promote the hell out of it.

I have a similar idea, but I'd rerun it next Friday night just before the new episode. Friday night is a wastleland, might as well preempt something on next Friday and get everybody used to the Friday night play time rather than screwing around with the Saturday night schedule and risk confusing people about what day it's on.

[After looking at the schedule and realizing that they are running Chuck right before Grimm, I'd modify my proposal slightly to bump Dateline next Friday, rerun the Grimm premier in Grimm's regular slot and slide the new Grimm episode into Dateline's slot.]
post #39 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I have a similar idea, but I'd rerun it next Friday night just before the new episode. Friday night is a wastleland, might as well preempt something on next Friday and get everybody used to the Friday night play time rather than screwing around with the Saturday night schedule and risk confusing people about what day it's on.

[After looking at the schedule and realizing that they are running Chuck right before Grimm, I'd modify my proposal slightly to bump Dateline next Friday, rerun the Grimm premier in Grimm's regular slot and slide the new Grimm episode into Dateline's slot.]

That's a great idea! ABC did the same thing for Once Upon A Time. They are repeating the premier this Sunday @7pm right before the new show @8pm.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #40 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
NBC has a whole week of Halloween themed shows. Tonight is also the season premire of Chuck and they are probably counting on some chuck lead in to spill over to Grimm.

They were both already postponed, they aren't going to do it again.
post #41 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Tolerable, I suppose. Sort of a male Buffy the fairy-tale villain slayer. Probably won't last too long.

CW Hinkle
post #42 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I wanted to like it, but it was terrible.
post #43 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I was pleasantly surprised, I like it! It does have a very Buffy feel to, and there is nothing wrong with that.
post #44 of 1848 Old 10-28-2011, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"You should leave your fiance now...it's too dangerous for her. Now here, take this necklace those evil creatures will hunt you to the death to get a hold of..."

LOL...

All though the episode, I found myself adding my own dialog to the conversations:

"You're a Grimm"
"Yes, I know...my friends are always telling me to lighten up."

"She had a lot of knife wounds. What did she do for a living?"
"She was a librarian."
"Did she have to open a lot of boxes?"

"The little girl was on her way to her Grandfather's house. That's him with the beard."
"Do we know he's clean?"
"Well, he has sanitary claws..."

"I'll take this trail."
"Great, I'll take this other trail because a black guy alone never gets eaten by the monster."

"She must have been taken from here."
"Careful where you step. If you think regular geese poop a lot, mother goose is nothing compared to that."

"What do you see in this guy that we don't?"
"He has an old European vehicle with a primer covered rear quarter panel. That's always a sign of trouble...and he's some kind of wolf thing. Scratch the last part...that sounds crazy."

"You know where she is."
"Of course I don't know where she is. Did I not tell you about my regimen? I sniff the girls as they go by, then I mark my territory by peeing in the back yard...mainly because the toilet doesn't work....but mostly because I'm a wolf thing."

"Did you really smell him?"
"Dude, you have no idea. His butt is just asking to be sniffed."

"Nice pillows."
"I did the needlepoint myself...not that I tell everyone."
"Of course, because the sweater vest, Hummel figurines, the baking and the quaint cottage decor doesn't give you away at all..."

I'll give it a couple more tries to see if it clicks with me, but I'm not sure if I'm into it. It seems to be trying to be dark humor, but the humor feels too forced to be funny and the dark seems to come mainly from the cheap spooky sounds and the scary faces the bad guys all have.

Of course, the big twist of

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
having the captain be a bad guy made me fell like, "well, duh, why have the one and only appearance of him earlier in the show not be simply a means to recognize him later when we go 'oooh, that's shady!'"
post #45 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

NetworkTV - I love this type of snarky banter - that's one of the reasons that made Buffy so cool.

SoFL had terrible storms last night and my Dish was down for almost two hours. I didn't get to see the show. It will be replayed on Tuesday @7pm on SyFy. From most of the posts it seemed to fare well.

post #46 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

NetworkTV - I love this type of snarky banter - that's one of the reasons that made Buffy so cool.

SoFL had terrible storms last night and my Dish was down for almost two hours. I didn't get to see the show. It will be replayed on Tuesday @7pm on SyFy. From most of the posts it seemed to fare well.

Don't misunderstand...the snarky comments were mine I added to the dialog. The real dialog wasn't nearly as much so...

I was basically pulling a "MST3K" on the show because those comments kept popping into my head as it progressed. For the most part, the last part of each piece of dialog wasn't in the show.
post #47 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Nielsen Overnights
Grimm' Debuts Big Against World Series, Chuck' Sets New Low
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - October 29th, 2011

How bad is the current economic recession? Viewers are flocking to fairy tales, one of the most popular entertainment genres during the Great Depression.

After the surprisingly strong launch on Sunday of ABC's Once Upon A Time which became the top-rated new drama series with a 4.0 Live+Same Day 18-49 rating the other fairytale-themed new series, NBC's Grimm, also exceeded expectations, premiering on Friday and against Game 7 of the World Series no less. The drama drew a 2.1/6 fast national rating among adults 18-49 last night (6.5 million total viewers), which is certain to go up in the finals. It was by far the highest-rated NBC drama premiere this season and the highest-rated Friday non-sports telecast on any network since Dec. 31, 2010 (ABC's New Year's Rockin' Eve). For NBC, it was the highest 18-49 rating in the Friday 9 PM slot in almost two years. And Grimm accomplished that with no help from its lead-in, the final season premiere of Chuck, which managed only a 1.0/3 in 18-49 and 3.4 million viewers, a series low. Dateline (1.3/4) at 10 PM was up 30% from its two-hour telecast last week.

NBC (1.5, 4.9 million) finished second for the night in 18-49 behind Fox's World Series, which dominated the night. ABC logged a 1.1/3, 4.5 million viewers with new Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and 20/20, tying in the demo CBS (1.1/3, 6.9 million) which switched to all reruns when the World Series went to a seventh game.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/rati...es-chuck-weak/
post #48 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Ah, Buffy, what have you done to me? I'm already watching Ringer because Sarah's in it, and now...sweet dreams are made of this? I almost turned it off at the first sight of the lead actor, as pretty as a mannekin and just as wooden. The setup seemed forced and as awkward as the acting, and I agree with Network tv that the dialog was MST3K worthy. I was thinking 1/2 way through that this was an hour I would never get back when something strange occurred to me-I was actually enjoying it. Maybe its the same fascination that watching a train wreck causes but I have to admit I was entertained.
I never thought Greenwalt got enough credit for what he brought to Buffy and Angel, what with Whedon getting all the love. And he did create probably the darkest show ever on network tv with the shortlived Profit, so maybe I'm making allowances for Grimm that it doesn't deserve in hope he knows where its going. The hints of a mythology being created by the end of the episode I found intriging, and I guess I'm thinking this might be his take on the whole slayer idea. Still, I can't see the show lasting long enough to really find out. There are just too many flaws for it to to have mainstream appeal..

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #49 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I was writing my post when dad put up his-didn't expect that.

post #50 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So, it looks like both NBC and CBS each made the right choices. People seemed to make the extra effort to check out Grimm, and CBS didn't burn a new episode when they didn't need to.

ABC, despite not being measurably far behind CBS is actually the loser of the night by burning new episodes with no real gain. By all rights, they should have taken second behind the series.
post #51 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Watched it. Was bored by it. Won't bother with it again simply because it has all the makings of a show that's going to get cancelled, and on top of that it's a pale copycat of a much better show (Supernatural) which has infinitely more appealing main characters (and car).
post #52 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Don't misunderstand...the snarky comments were mine I added to the dialog. The real dialog wasn't nearly as much so...

I was basically pulling a "MST3K" on the show because those comments kept popping into my head as it progressed. For the most part, the last part of each piece of dialog wasn't in the show.

Too bad, it really added something special ...

post #53 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Nielsen Overnights
Grimm' Debuts Big Against World Series, Chuck' Sets New Low
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - October 29th, 2011

How bad is the current economic recession? Viewers are flocking to fairy tales, one of the most popular entertainment genres during the Great Depression.

After the surprisingly strong launch on Sunday of ABC's Once Upon A Time which became the top-rated new drama series with a 4.0 Live+Same Day 18-49 rating the other fairytale-themed new series, NBC's Grimm, also exceeded expectations, premiering on Friday and against Game 7 of the World Series no less. The drama drew a 2.1/6 fast national rating among adults 18-49 last night (6.5 million total viewers), which is certain to go up in the finals. It was by far the highest-rated NBC drama premiere this season and the highest-rated Friday non-sports telecast on any network since Dec. 31, 2010 (ABC's New Year's Rockin' Eve). For NBC, it was the highest 18-49 rating in the Friday 9 PM slot in almost two years. And Grimm accomplished that with no help from its lead-in, the final season premiere of Chuck, which managed only a 1.0/3 in 18-49 and 3.4 million viewers, a series low. Dateline (1.3/4) at 10 PM was up 30% from its two-hour telecast last week.

NBC (1.5, 4.9 million) finished second for the night in 18-49 behind Fox's World Series, which dominated the night. ABC logged a 1.1/3, 4.5 million viewers with new Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and 20/20, tying in the demo CBS (1.1/3, 6.9 million) which switched to all reruns when the World Series went to a seventh game.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/rati...es-chuck-weak/

YEAH! That's what I say!!

post #54 of 1848 Old 10-29-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 801
This show was ok. I'll keep it in my DVR queue.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #55 of 1848 Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Come on! Don't writers believe in metaphor? I hate this "monsters are real" crap. All these shows would be so much more interesting if we never know if the monsters are real.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #56 of 1848 Old 10-30-2011, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Come on! Don't writers believe in metaphor? I hate this "monsters are real" crap. All these shows would be so much more interesting if we never know if the monsters are real.

Hmm, season ending cliffhanger:
Grimm: Fairy Tales are real! The power to see the monsters as they really are passed to me from my aunt, and she says its my duty to fight them.

Fiance: But you don't have an aunt...

post #57 of 1848 Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wife and I liked it. Enough to keep it in the DVR queue. We both agreed though that the lead should have been a hot chick instead. This type of genre show needs it. Both lead characters are a bit boring for me but we'll see where it goes. Looks like the ratings are good enough it won't be canceled in a month at least.

Scott
post #58 of 1848 Old 10-30-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Wife and I liked it. Enough to keep it in the DVR queue. We both agreed though that the lead should have been a hot chick instead. This type of genre show needs it. Both lead characters are a bit boring for me but we'll see where it goes. Looks like the ratings are good enough it won't be canceled in a month at least.

This would actually be a good vehicle for Yancy Butler of the "Witchblade" TV series fame.

Harve Presnell could be her father who rolls into town to set her up with all the dope on her heritage.
post #59 of 1848 Old 10-30-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Wasn't thinking we were going to like this show when it popped up in our "Pilot" folder, in fact we weren't even going to watch it thinking it might be too scary but we gave it a shot....and was pleasantly surprised. Not too gruesome(really only the faces, no worse than CSI etc.) and seemed to have a pretty good storyline, Season Pass for now
Did anyone else see terrible macroblocking at about the 11 minute mark? Outside night scene with flashing emergency lights. For about 10 seconds all I could see was macroblocks, very distracting. I never really see this on my 1080i sub less CBS channel but have seen it a couple times on my 1 sub 1080i NBC channel Wondering if it's a local issue or NBC in general, oh watching OTA.
post #60 of 1848 Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Wasn't thinking we were going to like this show when it popped up in our "Pilot" folder, in fact we weren't even going to watch it thinking it might be too scary but we gave it a shot....and was pleasantly surprised. Not too gruesome(really only the faces, no worse than CSI etc.) and seemed to have a pretty good storyline, Season Pass for now
Did anyone else see terrible macroblocking at about the 11 minute mark? Outside night scene with flashing emergency lights. For about 10 seconds all I could see was macroblocks, very distracting. I never really see this on my 1080i sub less CBS channel but have seen it a couple times on my 1 sub 1080i NBC channel Wondering if it's a local issue or NBC in general, oh watching OTA.

Looked fine here...a little bit of artifacting right around the lights, but the whole image didn't disintegrate or anything.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Grimm Season One Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Grimm The Complete Second Season Blu Ray Ultraviolet Widescreen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page