post #91 of 1758 Old 11-01-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

So most of you guys didn't notice this?...........

I have seen that sort of distortion on SNL during musical acts with fog and backlight, especially if the camera is moving. Probably the compression algorithm just can't handle these sort of shots.

The question was in regards to whether it was a local issue or a national issue because some posters said they didn't notice it during the broadcast.

We all know it's a compression artifact caused by the flashing emergency lights, what we're trying to determine is if it was due to crappy transcoding by our local broadcaster or if the artifact was in the national feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1758 Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mac--

So most of you guys didn't notice this?

Yes, I didn't see how it could be missed it was so in your face....very in synch with the cruiser flashes. I wrote it off as another example of Comcast since I get lighter versions even on The News Hour. Maybe it was both...in the source and then magnified by Comcast....
post #93 of 1758 Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Finally got to see the show and it exceeded my expectations! I loved this show. Just the right blend of horror/snickers.

Did not experience any PQ issues here in Florida.

Cannot wait to see the second episode.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #94 of 1758 Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I like it better than Once Upon a Time, which is not a town peopled with fairy-tale characters so much as peopled with Disney fairy-tale characters.

Neither would make one forget Deadwood or Reilly, Ace of Spies, but this one is agreeably Buffy-ish and watchable, though over at the other thread people seem to prefer it to Grimm.

CW Hinkle
post #95 of 1758 Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Werewolf peeing on fence - check
Wearwolf driving with his head out the window - check

Yeah, ok. This is some corny a$$ $hit. I still liked it though. At times it seems like a darker version of Once Upon a Time. Other times it is much lighter. I'll keep watching to see where this goes.

Both the good and bad wolfs driving old VWs made in Wolfsburg, Germany!

As an enthusiast of virtually all kinds old vehicles they had me with the Aunt's Airstream (looked like it might have been the Bambi model), even though it did seem to be twice as wide inside as it was outside.

We really enjoyed the pilot which did what a pilot should do--established ground rules and characters with minimal awkward exposition bogging down the story and it left us wanting more.

Steve S.
post #96 of 1758 Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:

I like it better than Once Upon a Time, which is not a town peopled with fairy-tale characters so much as peopled with Disney fairy-tale characters.

Neither would make one forget Deadwood or Reilly, Ace of Spies, but this one is agreeably Buffy-ish and watchable, though over at the other thread people seem to prefer it to Grimm.

First, I agree that neither Grimm nor Once Upon a Time is ever likely to be considered in the same breath as Deadwood. Although I have preferred Once Upon a Time to Grimm, so far, I think Grimm shows promise. Grimm's weird wolfman guy with the old VW bug is a hoot and I'm glad to see that he's going to be a continuing character.
post #97 of 1758 Old 11-03-2011, 02:48 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I have liked both ep's of OUAT but I also thought Grimm was pretty decent for just the pilot myself. Very much a Buffy type vibe and a much different feel from OUAT to me even though both have the fantasy elements. Grimm seems to take itself far less seriously and I think it could become quite fun if it continues to expand along the Buffy lines.

ron
post #98 of 1758 Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

... they had me with the Aunt's Airstream (looked like it might have been the Bambi model), even though it did seem to be twice as wide inside as it was outside...

you think? The inside of that gorgeous Airstream looked to be at least 12' wide and I had to laugh at all the goo gaas inside. I mean table lamps and all the other stuff that would go flying the first corner you made
I don't see dropping OUAT or Grimm anytime soon
post #99 of 1758 Old 11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:

As an enthusiast of virtually all kinds old vehicles they had me with the Aunt's Airstream (looked like it might have been the Bambi model), even though it did seem to be twice as wide inside as it was outside.

Must be the Tardis model.
post #100 of 1758 Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't get me started on all the issues with the trailer...

When he first went in the trailer with the flashlight, I was thinking, "WTF, just turn on the damn lights already, the old lady obviously wasn't living out there with out any lights."

And then the next time he's in the trailer, he's sitting at the desk with the desklight turned on.
post #101 of 1758 Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I certainly preferred OUAT to Grimm, but I liked them both. There is a place for both in my DVR. They are so different, that although the superficial similarity suggests comparison, the two treatments are so different, comparisons are rather meaningless.

I thought the play on worrd with the "Grimm Reaper" was clever.

We'll see how it does in real episodes. I never consider the pilot to be a "real" episode.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #102 of 1758 Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I like this show. I think someone earlier made a reference to Buffy, and I was thinking the same thing. Reluctant hero who will eventually embrace his power. I think if the role was played by an actress (say, Charisma Carpenter, I always want to get her into the conversation), the parallel would be more obvious.

I was able to catch the premiere as a rerun on Syfy. Are they going to be carrying the episodes? I would prefer that to VOD.
post #103 of 1758 Old 11-04-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

I like this show. I think someone earlier made a reference to Buffy, and I was thinking the same thing. Reluctant hero who will eventually embrace his power. I think if the role was played by an actress (say, Charisma Carpenter, I always want to get her into the conversation), the parallel would be more obvious.

I was able to catch the premiere as a rerun on Syfy. Are they going to be carrying the episodes? I would prefer that to VOD.

Looks like it. It is on the schedule for 7pm Tuesdays.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #104 of 1758 Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Looks like it. It is on the schedule for 7pm Tuesdays.

That's great. I already record Fringe and Supernatural during that time slot. I could have sworn that something else was on, but the FIOS guide is sometimes a little off.
post #105 of 1758 Old 11-05-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Really good second episode. I like the way they are weaving the Grimm stories into something relate-able in today's world. The story of the three bears and Goldilocks was well done indeed. Liked the twist that the momma bear was defending their family traditions and the father was more world-tuned.

This is a much more grisly (pun definitively intended) series than OUAT. I like the way it is progressing. Don't think the girlfriend is needed as she really does not add anything to the story line, at this point in time. Maybe she will in the future but now she does nothing. Was hoping they would continue the history and back info on the Aunt, I wonder where the trailer was being taken...

post #106 of 1758 Old 11-05-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'll admit to watching this solely because of Greenwalt.Given that, something strange has happened in both episodes. I have a moment early on where I almost stop watching, only to be fully absorbed by the end. Don't understand it...
"Okay, thats going a little too far." Made me chuckle.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #107 of 1758 Old 11-05-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 737
I enjoyed this episode. I cracked up when Eddie (the good wolf) ripped the attackers arm off.

I guess I'm not up on my Grimm creatures. Every time they said Jagerbar I thought they were gonna do shots of Jäger.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #108 of 1758 Old 11-05-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 680
I'm in for the count .. and those German names for the creatures are a hoot .. Blutbad or the plural Blutbaden ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #109 of 1758 Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Liked: 10
Love the character Monroe. Great in the second episode.
post #110 of 1758 Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 129
So far, I like the show. Most of the supporting cast members are strong...the good BlutBad, the Aunt, and the partner. The main character is too bland. I hope he and the writers find some personality for him.

As for the girlfriend, the aunt warned him to break it off. I'm sure there will be an episode where the baddies put her in peril for the Grimm to realize he needs heed his aunt's advice. Of course, she is a vet, so she'll probably have to save good BlutBad from some injury.
post #111 of 1758 Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'm going out on a limb and saying there is more to the girlfiend than we (or the hero) know so far..

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #112 of 1758 Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Excellent episode and his werewolf side kick makes the show for me!

post #113 of 1758 Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

yep .. the comic side kick does it for me as well ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #114 of 1758 Old 11-08-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

yep .. the comic side kick does it for me as well ..

Me three, Monroe is a hoot. In fact, his comic turns have been the only thing that keeps me watching the show. I continue to be underwhelmed by the actors playing the detectives but Monroe more than overcomes their weakness. Monroe's total annihilation of the would be assassins in the basement was great fun.
post #115 of 1758 Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Pretty good 2nd episode. Pretty bloody also, with the weird dream of the aunt stabbing the knife through the hand, torn off arm, bear boy cutting his arm, mamma bear on the spike.
My wife is suspecting somethings up with the girlfriend also.

The Airstream cracked me up the first time he went in and it was so big. I'm assuming there is something "spacial" about that trailer.
post #116 of 1758 Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

The Airstream cracked me up the first time he went in and it was so big. I'm assuming there is something "spacial" about that trailer.

It's the fairy tale edition, where you actually have more than enough space than you'll ever need in a travel trailer - including a full bathtub and walk-in closet. The parlor and library are just to the right of the door. There are three bedrooms upstairs...all with beds that are "just right".

I'm not sure you can get that much room in a 40' Winnebago with slide-outs...
post #117 of 1758 Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Like previously posted - it's the "Tardis" Airstream!

post #118 of 1758 Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Solid third episode! I like the way they are slowly introducing the Grimm ability to see ghouls and not over-using this becoming tired.

Great to see Nana Visitor again albeit too short IMO. Finally had some use for the girlfriend ...

I like the way they are developing the Captain and how he fits in the Grimmworld. Oh and one more thing .... good boy Monroe!

post #119 of 1758 Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 PM

Liked: 10
This show is getting better every week!! Love the blonde.
post #120 of 1758 Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Lots of blocking again. Not as bad as the first episode, but still fairly noticeable. Their flashlight fetish seems to be the worse offender. Every time they point a flashlight straight at the camera, it causes a bunch of blocking.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Grimm Season One Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Grimm The Complete Second Season Blu Ray Ultraviolet Widescreen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page