AVS Forum banner
145K views 3K replies 142 participants last post by  Dmon4u 
#1 ·
I just saw the promo for this and I'm surprised that no one started this thread. This looks real good to me blending a procedural with fantasy. Wondering which between "Once upon a Time" and Grimm will win out???

Premier Friday, 10/28 @ 9pm

See less See more
Reactions: Young C
#3 ·

Quote:
Wondering which between "Once upon a Time" and Grimm will win out???

Is it necessary for only one to win? Why not both
or, knowing the television ratings situation, maybe neither.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/21051741

Is it necessary for only one to win? Why not both
or, knowing the television ratings situation, maybe neither.

Agreed! I am looking forward to filling my Sunday Nite 8pm time slot!

With the cast of well known actors participating in OUAT it looks quite good in fact.

#5 ·
#8 ·
I swear advertising people must be mentally defective. If they'd arrange their shows to NOT compete with others in the genre, they'd all get more viewers.

Television has been pulling this sort of nonsense for at least the last fifty years; possibly for the last sixty.

#9 ·
Thank the gods they have multiple recording DVRs. I LOVE Fringe & Supernatural and would not miss either one. I am looking forward to adding GRIMM to that group.

Reactions: Phrehdd
#10 ·

Twilight" films, "Teen Wolf" and the like, it was just a matter of time the classics made their resurgence onto the entertainment scene.

ABC entered the fray first with "Once Upon a Time" and now NBC is countering with "Grimm." The show offers a modern re-telling of the famed Grimm Brothers fairy tales wrapped around the world of a police detective played by David Giuntoli.

The series is headed by a couple guys who know quite a bit about things that go bump in the night - David Greenwalt and Jim Kouf, former bigwigs on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel."

Here's a little bit about what they have to say about their new show:

David Greenwalt on the structure of the show: "Grimm" has the power of the genre shows, but it's also got the power of the procedural shows and the idea of one complete episode every week so that you don't need a score card to watch the show...

David Greenwalt on why now for "Grimm": It's always a good time for fairy tales. It's a good time to be scared on a Friday night a little bit and have a bedtime story that gets under your skin a little bit...The genre has grown. And that's great because it's an opportunity to tell different kinds of stories and more kinds of stories. So for that I think it's a terrific time to be on the air with this.

Jim Kouf on where they'll get the inspirations for stories: Well we're taking little bits and pieces from a lot of fairy tales. So you may not actually recognize the fairy tale we're drawing from because some are not that well known...We'll (also) take a story from the headlines and give it a fairy tale-like twist.

David Greenwalt on how Nick (David Giuntoli) is able to explain his visions to others: We still have written that scene yet. This is the crux of the series. He is in a world where almost no one else knows about...But that is his problem because he would appear to be crazy and would be locked up. And may indeed be locked up at some point, you know, as we continue on in this series. But there's stuff - it's a very hard thing to convince someone of if they can't see what you're seeing.

The series debuts on NBC on Friday (Oct. 28) at 9 p.m. ET.

Follow Zap2it on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest news and buzz

Photo/Video credit: NBC

#11 ·
I find the premise of this to be a more mainstream version of Supernatural with a lot of other shows hacked on.

You have a cop who is from a line of "hunters" who fight evil monsters from fairy tales. Over on Supernatural you have two brothers who come from a line of "hunters" who fight evil monsters from both fairy tales and folklore.

Supernatural already cover fairy tales in episodes and for Grimm they've made the premise more dull already by making them cops. How about getting some other professions mixed up in the television landscape?

Quote:
"Grimm" has the power of the genre shows, but it's also got the power of the procedural shows and the idea of one complete episode every week so that you don't need a score card to watch the show...

Yeah because TV schedules are really lacking shows that don't need a scorecard and get wrapped up in one episode ...

I really expected a better defense than that from Greenwalt but using that as a selling point is really empty.

I actually thought this might be related to the movie. I would take a period fantasy about the Grimm brothers over yet another police procedural escapee from SyFy.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer /forum/post/21119329

It's not that it's on Friday, it's that it's on opposite two established shows, Fringe and Supernatural.

I swear advertising people must be mentally defective. If they'd arrange their shows to NOT compete with others in the genre, they'd all get more viewers.

Agreed. I've never understood this strategy of going head-to-head against you're main competition.

IMHO taking the opposite stategy is one of the things that helped DWTS get such good numbers. Nobody else wanted to go up against MNFB, but since Football fans weren't going to watch DWTS no matter when it was on, it didn't hurt them to go opposite MNFB, plus they picked up all the people who can't stand Football since all the other stations put their worst performers up against MNFB.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/21123360

To mcuh on Friday's now to tape, gonna have to watch something on-line. Most likely Fringe since Fox's on-line streaming on their web site is top notch with quality and limited commercials.

Today you need to be a rocket scientist to watch tv!

#15 ·
I don't have any hope of this lasting beyond the initial episode order.

It's a genre show, with its freshman year on Friday, opposite two of the most established genre shows.

I'll catch it when it comes to OnDemand, both my tuners are occupied during the current timeslot.

I'm also still miffed that this got the nod over 17th Precinct.

#17 ·
I would have taken 17th over this even if it was another cop show. At least it brought back memories of Cast a Deadly Spell. Which was a quirky and original movie at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if this got the nod because ABC have their own fairy tale show.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/21125037

I would have taken 17th over this even if it was another cop show. At least it brought back memories of Cast a Deadly Spell. Which was a quirky and original movie at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if this got the nod because ABC have their own fairy tale show.

Thanks VisionOne! I just checked out the 17th and would have loved to see this in production. What a stellar cast ... alumni from all my favorite shows! Anyone know WHY this show was not picked up?

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend /forum/post/21134510

Thanks VisionOne! I just checked out the 17th and would have loved to see this in production. What a stellar cast ... alumni from all my favorite shows! Anyone know WHY this show was not picked up?

...maybe because NBC couldn't pick a winner with two hands worth of fingers and a nose full of boogers?

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21134565

Damn, I missed the pilot!

Anyone know when it will be repeated???

According to the NBC web site:

GRIMM Series Premiere October 28th Fridays 9/8c

It hasn't been shown yet. Try checking your schedule for tomorrow.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by networktv /forum/post/21134610

...maybe because nbc couldn't pick a winner with two hands worth of fingers and a nose full of boogers?

+1!!!

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/21121203

I find the premise of this to be a more mainstream version of Supernatural with a lot of other shows hacked on.

You have a cop who is from a line of "hunters" who fight evil monsters from fairy tales. Over on Supernatural you have two brothers who come from a line of "hunters" who fight evil monsters from both fairy tales and folklore.

Supernatural already cover fairy tales in episodes and for Grimm they've made the premise more dull already by making them cops. How about getting some other professions mixed up in the television landscape?

Yeah because TV schedules are really lacking shows that don't need a scorecard and get wrapped up in one episode ...

I really expected a better defense than that from Greenwalt but using that as a selling point is really empty.

I actually thought this might be related to the movie. I would take a period fantasy about the Grimm brothers over yet another police procedural escapee from SyFy.

The funny thing about all of that is the creator of Supernatural said the first idea he brought to networks for Supernatural was basically what Grimm is now. Cops. After that got rejected, he changed it to a reporter. Everyone passed so he retooled it into what Supernatural is now. I obviously havent seen Grimm yet, but I love Supernatural, and I'm glad the idea of cops got rejected because the whole premise of the Winchester Family + the awesome car is so much more interesting to me.

Sounds like ABC has a mild hit on their hands with Once Upon a Time, because it managed to attract a large female audience. Somehow I doubt Grimm will do that. I just really have little faith in NBC doing anything right.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/21135167

...Sounds like ABC has a mild hit on their hands with Once Upon a Time, because it managed to attract a large female audience. Somehow I doubt Grimm will do that. I just really have little faith in NBC doing anything right.

While I would agree with you, the ratings for Once were very good, it was just the pilot episode. The real test will be the ratings for the next two episodes. I liked it, and I expect to like Grimm as well (I like Supernatural too) but a single data point hardly makes the show a hit.

I share your feelings about NBC, though I have no doubt that NBC would reply, "I find your lack of faith... disturbing!"