post #361 of 628 Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Rather than thinking that Durant had put out a hit on Lily with his wife, Hannah's, (reluctant?) agreement, I think that the idea was Hannah's from the get go. From what we saw of Hannah this season, I have a hard time thinking that she doesn't get what she wants most of the time. It's clear, to me at least, that Hannah was jealous of Lily, not only because of Lily's youth and beauty but also because she knows that Durant had been Lily's lover and she, Hannah, fancies Lily's current lover, Bohannan.

The scene where Hannah and Durant were alone in his car and he was writing the $1k check to Lily made it clear that it was Durant's idea. First they tried promising Lily the "proper introductions" that would snare her a good husband - at that time the highest aspiration of any well-born woman. Then, they tried the cash approach. (We didn't get to see the scene where Lily was actually offered the money; perhaps they filmed it but cut it for time or something.)

Then Durant tells Hannah that if this doesn't work they'll do it his way. Hannah replies that would be acceptable as long as it wasn't "messy". Proving, I suppose, that it's simply good form to offer to negotiate with those you intend to rid yourself of before you kill them. I would expect nothing less from the Durants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat 
You could be right about the Swede being "most sincerely dead." I need to go back and watch that scene again to decide definitively. I hope you are wrong, though, I would hate to see the Swede's charter disappear from the show.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to be an issue. I lost any illusions AMC was somehow "different" from other networks after they killed 'Rubicon' - a better show than this. Don't know how the ratings compared. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 628 Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to be an issue. I lost any illusions AMC was somehow "different" from other networks after they killed 'Rubicon' - a better show than this. Don't know how the ratings compared. Anyone?

I don't know the exact numbers .. I do know they have been dropping .. if I remember right, earlier on the thread someone mentioned Mount asking folks to watch so the show had a better chance of renewal ..

Myself, I'm not holding my breath .. I hope it comes back, but I think they did a pretty good wrap up job on this years finale ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #363 of 628 Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

The scene where Hannah and Durant were alone in his car and he was writing the $1k check to Lily made it clear that it was Durant's idea. First they tried promising Lily the "proper introductions" that would snare her a good husband - at that time the highest aspiration of any well-born woman. Then, they tried the cash approach. (We didn't get to see the scene where Lily was actually offered the money; perhaps they filmed it but cut it for time or something.)
Then Durant tells Hannah that if this doesn't work they'll do it his way. Hannah replies that would be acceptable as long as it wasn't "messy". Proving, I suppose, that it's simply good form to offer to negotiate with those you intend to rid yourself of before you kill them. I would expect nothing less from the Durants.

Hmmm... I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who likes (liked?) Hell on Wheels much better than Rubicon. I tried Rubicon for 3-4 episodes and couldn't get into it. On the other hand, I haven't missed any episodes of Hell on Wheels.
post #364 of 628 Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Hmmm... I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who likes (liked?) Hell on Wheels much better than Rubicon. I tried Rubicon for 3-4 episodes and couldn't get into it. On the other hand, I haven't missed any episodes of Hell on Wheels.

"Better" was maybe the wrong choice of words. They were very different shows and I liked them both for different reasons. 'Rubicon' grabbed me by the brain; this one by the ba!!s. wink.gif
post #365 of 628 Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just got to watch the 2-hour finale. Frankly, I think killing Lily Bell ruined this series. Not only was it bad writing, but not even original (we saw the same thing in Dexter, when they killed off Dexter's wife). Moreover, as far as I'm concerned, the producers have totally screwed themselves in home video sales. Who in the hell wants to re-watch a series with such a crappy outcome.

post #366 of 628 Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I just watched the finale last night and am also very disappointed in this show now. There's no one left worth a damn other than Cullen, and yeah he's good but I think they took a wrong turn here.

There was no point in making the show this dark.
post #367 of 628 Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, a friend of mine put forth something I didn't think of... He doesn't believe Lily is dead. And what makes this plausible is that what we see in the finale is the tale being told by Cullen, and not necessarily the actual events. Basically, a ruse to throw off the Durants, and keep Lily safe.

post #368 of 628 Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Okay, a friend of mine put forth something I didn't think of... He doesn't believe Lily is dead. And what makes this plausible is that what we see in the finale is the tale being told by Cullen, and not necessarily the actual events. Basically, a ruse to throw off the Durants, and keep Lily safe.

OK, I'm going to cling to that theory until it's proven otherwise. Thanks.
post #369 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

OK, I'm going to cling to that theory until it's proven otherwise. Thanks.
God, I hope that is true.
post #370 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

C'mon now... Bohannan laid her out on the church's table, white as a sheet, then buried her. In the immortal words of that famous future country doctor, "She's dead, Jim." Not to say they couldn't pull that rabbit out of the hat, but it would feel like an incredible cheat. This show has consistently been better than that.

The hope I'm clinging to is for a renewal. But that finale sure felt like the end of the line. frown.gif
post #371 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

C'mon now... Bohannan laid her out on the church's table, white as a sheet, then buried her. In the immortal words of that famous future country doctor, "She's dead, Jim." Not to say they couldn't pull that rabbit out of the hat, but it would feel like an incredible cheat. This show has consistently been better than that.
The hope I'm clinging to is for a renewal. But that finale sure felt like the end of the line. frown.gif

He didn't bury her, laid her at the church walked to bridge and placed the red flag. I didn't like the ending. Either she is dead and that really changes the series or they are pulling the wool over our eyes.
post #372 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

frown.gif

Again, if this is just the 'telling' of the story per Bohannan, then it is completely plausible.

post #373 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Again, if this is just the 'telling' of the story per Bohannan, then it is completely plausible.

I don't quite know what you mean here .. ??

To assume Lily is alive in an attempt to save her from the Durants would mean the Swede was in on it .. and since no one witnessed the choking besides the Swede, what point would there be in actually even doing the choking .. ??

She's dead, Jim ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #374 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I don't quite know what you mean here .. ??
To assume Lily is alive in an attempt to save her from the Durants would mean the Swede was in on it .. and since no one witnessed the choking besides the Swede, what point would there be in actually even doing the choking .. ??
She's dead, Jim ..

If it is Bohannan's 'story', then the part about the Swede could be a fabrication as well.

post #375 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If it is Bohannan's 'story', then the part about the Swede could be a fabrication as well.

You're saying the whole thing is a dream .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #376 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:

Maybe they'll pull a "Fight Club" on us and
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
and it will turn out there never was a Swede. The Swede was Bohannan's way of expressing his bad side...

wink.gif
post #377 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're saying the whole thing is a dream .. ??

???... No. It is simply what Bohannan's 'told' the investigating soldiers. IF, Bohannan's story is a fabrication, then we would have to wait until the next season (if there is one), to discover his motives.

post #378 of 628 Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
That would be a horrible out of killing off both lily and the swede. I actually think that would be worse then just moving on with both characters dead.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

post #379 of 628 Old 10-29-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 386
post #380 of 628 Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

post #381 of 628 Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111

Good News: the show continues... Bad News: the show continues with who?
post #382 of 628 Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, a pleasant surprise, for a change. Still would have liked to have seen 'The Killing' and, especially, 'Rubicon' renewed but I'll take what I can get from AMC.

As to the prospects for next season, why don't we just wait and see what the producers come up with? I hate that Lily and The Swede got offed, but new villains and allies are undoubtedly in the offing. smile.gif
post #383 of 628 Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Wow is right, I did not expect to see this show renewed, certainly glad it was though.
post #384 of 628 Old 10-29-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Read the good news, and included is the info that the creators of the show (Gayton brothers) will not return; the show runner (John Shiban) will return. I think this could be very good news creatively for the show going forward. Shiban has a good pedigree and is both a good SR and really good writer, so this could hopefully allow the show to pick up steam (pun intended) in S3.
post #385 of 628 Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I'm torn on whether I will renew my season pass to this show - I think Anson Mount has been outstanding and he's all that's left now (for the most part), so it's going to be a reboot of some sort. I'll probably renew just because of him.
post #386 of 628 Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 AM

I'll think we'll know long in advance if those actors are still on the show.
post #387 of 628 Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazing things happen through the magic of television. I'd bet my next paycheck that Cullen and the Swede will be back and would almost give you even odds on Lily, especially if Dominique McElligott doesn't have another gig to keep her from "reincarnating" on this show. Hell, if an entire season of Dallas can be a dream, a little thing like someone getting strangled is nothing. Just change Bobby Ewing to Lily Bell and go from there despite the Coroner of Oz's proclamation.
post #388 of 628 Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I'm torn on whether I will renew my season pass to this show - I think Anson Mount has been outstanding and he's all that's left now (for the most part), so it's going to be a reboot of some sort. I'll probably renew just because of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Amazing things happen through the magic of television. I'd bet my next paycheck that Cullen and the Swede will be back and would almost give you even odds on Lily, especially if Dominique McElligott doesn't have another gig to keep her from "reincarnating" on this show. Hell, if an entire season of Dallas can be a dream, a little thing like someone getting strangled is nothing. Just change Bobby Ewing to Lily Bell and go from there despite the Coroner of Oz's proclamation.

I plan to leave my Hell on Wheels season pass in place for Season 3, at least for the early shows. I can't wait to see whether the Swede survived and the beauteous Lily survives, the Coroner of Oz's conclusion notwithstanding. I am also counting on seeing a lot more of the wonderful Virginia Madsen's Hannah Durant. Finally, Anson Mount has given such powerhouse performances as Cullen Bohannan, I think the show might still be made to work, despite the absence of the Swede and Lilly Bell.
post #389 of 628 Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I tend to believe that as well .. although I am very glad it's coming back, I hope the Swede and Lily stay dead .. the writers have been pretty liberal with the whole theme of resurection in both prior seasons .. as well, with the flagging ratings, I'm thinking AMC still sees potential and will do a reboot with some new protagonist ..

Uncle Willie

post #390 of 628 Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

I tend to believe that as well .. although I am very glad it's coming back, I hope the Swede and Lily stay dead .. the writers have been pretty liberal with the whole theme of resurection in both prior seasons .. as well, with the flagging ratings, I'm thinking AMC still sees potential and will do a reboot with some new protagonist ..

Oh yeah...Mr. O'Toole shot dead, in the face......survived.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Hell On Wheels The Complete First Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Hell by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page