post #601 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfman View Post
Last night's was so-so in my opinion,BUT It looks like things are fixing to ramp up in several areas.Those boys don't know how much they messed up whoppin on Cullen like that
You thought it was so-so? Really? Wow, I thought it was excellent with a lot happening. From the opening lines with the reporter saying that Cullen is back in Cheyenne and we are all at his mercy to the ending scene with the beating. Just excellent episode. Loved seeing Cullen just working the railroad as an every day man, to saving them from the explosion, a lot going on.
John dhein likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So, So season. Finding myself checking the DVR to see how much time is left in the episode.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #603 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
You thought it was so-so? Really? Wow, I thought it was excellent with a lot happening. From the opening lines with the reporter saying that Cullen is back in Cheyenne and we are all at his mercy to the ending scene with the beating. Just excellent episode. Loved seeing Cullen just working the railroad as an every day man, to saving them from the explosion, a lot going on.
I agree wholeheartedly! This was an excellent, well-written episode.

I could write a book on this one, but here are a few of my observations.

How could you not feel sorry for Eva? She sees Cullen come back into town and all of her pent-up feelings for her own "lost" man suddenly arise again. She has been trying so hard to turn her life around, persevere onward after losing her baby and (apparently) Elam, and then while trying to just survive, felt the need to resort to her old "tricks" again.

I also couldn't help but feel a bit of sadness when Ruth first saw Cullen with Naomi and the baby. Ruth had helped Cullen when Lily Bell was killed by The Swede, she took in Ezra who was brought to HOW by Cullen after Ezra's parents had been murdered by The Swede, and all the while, poor Ruth was obviously falling in love with him. I also think Cullen was starting to have feelings for Ruth about the time he was kidnapped by the Mormons. Then, seeing see him come back with a wife and a child had to be a bitter disappointment. At least we know that Ezra is talking again.

Then there's Louise, the newspaper lady. Didn't she have a brief tryst with Cullen a season or two ago?

Finally, as soon as Cullen lit that cigar I knew things weren't going to turn out well. Stay tuned folks... it's only going to get better and better.
post #604 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 452
I have liked this season's Hell on Wheels a lot too. The Territorial Governor and his slimy henchmen are deliciously hatable. I loved it when Cullen humiliated the two that were trying to intimidate him because of his Mormon wife. I assume it was these two who attacked Cullen at the end of the episode. Don't know what will happen next except that it won't be good for those thugs. Where is Elam when we need him?
post #605 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I thought this episode was great, too.

I don't think Grant would have sent those carpetbaggers if he knew Cullen was still around.

Also, that bearded black guy sure looked a lot like Common.
post #606 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
I thought this episode was great, too.

I don't think Grant would have sent those carpetbaggers if he knew Cullen was still around.

Also, that bearded black guy sure looked a lot like Common.
I did a double-take myself.
post #607 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
Then there's Louise, the newspaper lady. Didn't she have a brief tryst with Cullen a season or two ago?
I seem to recall that she prefers the company of women over men and that is one of the reasons she's out in the wild, wild west. I also seem to recall that she had a very brief thing with Eva, or tried, something went on but I can't remember the details.
post #608 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I seem to recall that she prefers the company of women over men and that is one of the reasons she's out in the wild, wild west. I also seem to recall that she had a very brief thing with Eva, or tried, something went on but I can't remember the details.
Yes, she certainly seems to like the ladies, but I still seem to remember a one-night she had with Cullen quite a while back. Maybe that was just my wishful thinking.
post #609 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yes, she certainly seems to like the ladies, but I still seem to remember a one-night she had with Cullen quite a while back. Maybe that was just my wishful thinking.
I checked the character bio at the AMC site but it's really short on details. Maybe someone with a better memory here will recall the details for us!
post #610 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I checked the character bio at the AMC site but it's really short on details. Maybe someone with a better memory here will recall the details for us!
Hope so.
post #611 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 79
New to this thread, have to say the look of this show, the way it's lit is magnificent. And excellent use of sound.
post #612 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Howdy, and Welcome !
gwsat likes this.
post #613 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
New to this thread, have to say the look of this show, the way it's lit is magnificent. And excellent use of sound.
Yes, I've remarked earlier in the thread that this show has many instances of the finest HD image quality I've seen in quite awhile, some of the scenes were almost Blu-ray-like in quality.

And this from the same network that airs the horrifically cruddy looking 'The Walking Dead', there's so much grain in the image on that series I'm concerned it might even scratch the screen on my display.
post #614 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

IIRC, the reason she is in Cheyenne is because she had a fling with her boss' daughter back in NY (or wherever she's from) and got caught, or something to that effect. Of course that was severely looked down upon back then, so she had to leave town.

Yeah, there was also the thing with Eva, but I can't remember if anything was actually shown happening, or if it was just implied. She definitely favors the ladies.

Edit:
Background information
Louise Ellison, a strong-willed reporter for The New-York Tribune, is dispatched to Hell on Wheels by editor Horace Greeley to cover the building of the transcontinental railroad. Her career came to a halt when it was discovered she had romantic feelings for Ida Greeley, her editor's daughter.

Struggling to come to terms with her "excommunication" from New York, she learns that "right" and "wrong" are concepts too simple to apply to the world of Hell on Wheels -- the Sodom and Gomorrah of the Nebraska plains.
Keenan and John dhein like this.

Last edited by zeus33; 08-18-2014 at 03:19 PM.
post #615 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
IIRC, the reason she is in Cheyenne is because she had a fling with her boss' daughter back in NY (or wherever she's from) and got caught, or something to that effect. Of course that was severely looked down upon back then, so she had to leave town.

Yeah, there was also the thing with Eva, but I can't remember if anything was actually shown happening, or if it was just implied. She definitely favors the ladies.

Edit:
Background information
Louise Ellison, a strong-willed reporter for The New-York Tribune, is dispatched to Hell on Wheels by editor Horace Greeley to cover the building of the transcontinental railroad. Her career came to a halt when it was discovered she had romantic feelings for Ida Greeley, her editor's daughter.

Struggling to come to terms with her "excommunication" from New York, she learns that "right" and "wrong" are concepts too simple to apply to the world of Hell on Wheels -- the Sodom and Gomorrah of the Nebraska plains.
Thanks!

BTW, where did you find that info?
post #616 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Thanks!

BTW, where did you find that info?

http://hellonwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Louise_Ellison
post #617 of 624 Old 08-18-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Thank you.
post #618 of 624 Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
She and Cullen were drinking together when there was some kind of party going on in the bar, and then Cullen whisked her out on to the dance floor and after they danced he kissed her but that was as far as it went. She did wake up in bed with eva one morning but it looked like nothing happened. And to back up Zeus I remember Durant telling her that he knew all about Horace Greeley sending her west because she tried to seduce Greeley's daughter.
post #619 of 624 Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
She and Cullen were drinking together when there was some kind of party going on in the bar, and then Cullen whisked her out on to the dance floor and after they danced he kissed her but that was as far as it went. She did wake up in bed with eva one morning but it looked like nothing happened. And to back up Zeus I remember Durant telling her that he knew all about Horace Greeley sending her west because she tried to seduce Greeley's daughter.
Thanks to your comment and the above posts, I do remember now. Thanks to all.
post #620 of 624 Old 08-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have to admit I admire the set design of Cheyenne. It looks as muddy and dirty and disgusting just I'd expect a town like that to be.
acebreathe and WilliamR like this.
post #621 of 624 Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
I have to admit I admire the set design of Cheyenne. It looks as muddy and dirty and disgusting just I'd expect a town like that to be.
At the HOW website there's a video where Anson Mount goes through the town with the set designer and they discuss how and why they did certain things, pretty interesting.
post #622 of 624 Old 08-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 79
In past years episodes, there were scenes of Eva inside her tent that were sharp, rich in color yet very natural with an earthtone appearance. Sometimes i would just freeze the image, it was so good.

On a professionally calibrated Kuro, likely the most beautiful image i've ever scene.
acebreathe likes this.
post #623 of 624 Old 08-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
In past years episodes, there were scenes of Eva inside her tent that were sharp, rich in color yet very natural with an earthtone appearance. Sometimes i would just freeze the image, it was so good.

On a professionally calibrated Kuro, likely the most beautiful image i've ever scene.
Agree with you and some of the other posters about how great this show looks, something that does not get mentioned enough.
post #624 of 624 Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes, absolutely gorgeous HD images. I've played back several scenes while watching to just to take in the high quality imagery. I will likely buy the complete series Blu-ray if/when it is released.
acebreathe likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Hell On Wheels The Complete First Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Hell by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page