"Hell on Wheels" on AMC HD - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 673 Old 09-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There were two other graves where Cullen buried Elam. Have we seen who is buried there? Lilly? Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 673 Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
And me, I thought it was the best episode of the series.
Tough crowd. I thought it was outstanding, too. And last week's episode was needed to set it up.

Elam/Common got one hell of a nice sendoff.

Last edited by Bluto17; 09-15-2014 at 09:19 AM.
post #663 of 673 Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post
Tough crowd. I thought it was outstanding, too. And last week's episode was needed to set it up.
I thought it was a very good episode too, wasn't a big fan of last week's, but agree that it set this one up just right. If they had to bring Elam back for a couple of shows, this was as good as any, only thing that seemed out of kilter was the time lines, seemed like only a short time took place with Elam while a lot of time seemed to have passed at Hell On Wheels, it probably coincided, but it seemed like the timeline was out of kilter to me.
post #664 of 673 Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by apk8 View Post
There were two other graves where Cullen buried Elam. Have we seen who is buried there? Lilly? Anyone else?
I doubt if one of them was Lily's. Wasn't she killed long before they got anywhere Cheyenne?
post #665 of 673 Old 09-15-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 104
When the pallbearers transferred the coffin to Cullen's wagon I expected to see them to continue walking to the cemetery, which as we saw shortly, was close to the town. It was like the group suddenly decided their obligation was over. It didn't read real to my mind.
post #666 of 673 Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I liked this week's episode too. Somehow, the show continues to entertain me while avoiding (albeit narrowly sometimes) jumping the shark. As many of us were predicting earlier, the governor's two thugs who viciously beat Bohannan died equally violently, albeit at the hands of different assailants. The one who went toes up in this week's episode learned the lethal lesson that crossing Doc Durant is a bad idea. Why do I think the governor is going to learn the same lesson before long, although maybe not with the loss of his life?

I think I understand why Bohannan stabbed Elam in the belly. They were in a fight to the death so Bohannan finally had to make up his mind to lethally wound Elam or die himself. I assume he shot Elam after that as an act of mercy both because the knife wound was almost certainly a death sentence but also to put the psychotic Elam out of his mental and physical misery. That was a deliciously ambiguous sequence, which I thought was well done.
post #667 of 673 Old 09-15-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I liked this week's episode too. Somehow, the show continues to entertain me while avoiding (albeit narrowly sometimes) jumping the shark. As many of us were predicting earlier, the governor's two thugs who viciously beat Bohannan died equally violently, albeit at the hands of different assailants. The one who went toes up in this week's episode learned the lethal lesson that crossing Doc Durant is a bad idea. Why do I think the governor is going to learn the same lesson before long, although maybe not with the loss of his life?

I think I understand why Bohannan stabbed Elam in the belly. They were in a fight to the death so Bohannan finally had to make up his mind to lethally wound Elam or die himself. I assume he shot Elam after that as an act of mercy both because the knife wound was almost certainly a death sentence but also to put the psychotic Elam out of his mental and physical misery. That was a deliciously ambiguous sequence, which I thought was well done.
My interpretation of the stabbing was one last chance, I don't think it was intended as a mortal wound, but one last chance to snap him out of his current state, after he stabbed him, Bohannon looked him in the eye(s) and realized it didn't have any effect and decided to just end it there, because he didn't see any chance of Elam ever coming out of it.
post #668 of 673 Old 09-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
Considering Elam's devastating injuries and subsequent mental problems, I think the episode played out in the "best" way possible. Try as he might, Cullen couldn't bring Elam back to sanity, so it came down to kill or be killed. Sure, he could have let someone else do the deed, but Cullen wanted to try to help his friend until the last possible moment. In the final scene, his grief was genuine and I like to think it was not only for Elam, but also for Lily, his first wife and child, and for all the bad things he's ever been associated with.
My impression too that his grief was for everyone that he lost and all the frustration associated with the rail road. Yes it was awkward but I think that had more to do with how Anson Mount played it.
post #669 of 673 Old 09-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
My impression too that his grief was for everyone that he lost and all the frustration associated with the rail road. Yes it was awkward but I think that had more to do with how Anson Mount played it.
I agree, this was his long bottled up grief going back to his first wife and child all the way to Elam. He never had the time or wherewithal to address this. His new bride and child have made him start to want to change his killing ways at the same time forcing him to face his past.
post #670 of 673 Old 09-16-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post
I don't understand the whole point of bringing Elam back from the dead only to kill him another way. Seemed like a waste of an episode and a half to me. Perhaps it will play out into something later on, but if not, it was a waste of time. The show was much better this season without Elam anyway.
Agreed, makes the last ep even more of a waste. But anyway it's a good thing and now maybe they'll come up with a way to kill off the Swede then we can get back down to business.
post #671 of 673 Old 09-16-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
My interpretation of the stabbing was one last chance, I don't think it was intended as a mortal wound, but one last chance to snap him out of his current state, after he stabbed him, Bohannon looked him in the eye(s) and realized it didn't have any effect and decided to just end it there, because he didn't see any chance of Elam ever coming out of it.
I agree that Bohannan didn't necessarily intend to inflict a mortal wound but after he saw where he had stabbed Elam he realized that the wound would almost certainly be fatal. That's when I think Bohannan decided to shoot Elam and, finally, put him out of his misery. Clearly, Bohannan wanted to save Elam before Elam's aggressiveness proved that it would be impossible.
acebreathe likes this.
post #672 of 673 Old 09-16-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I would agree - perhaps he was trying to convince him he doesn't have "bear magic"?
post #673 of 673 Old Today, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
It appears Cullen is a bit perturbed with the way Palmer is bringing Law and Order and I think the Undertakers will be pretty busy
BoilerJim likes this.

Jerry
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Hell On Wheels The Complete First Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Hell by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page