"Hell on Wheels" on AMC HD - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 734 Old 11-23-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 55
It's amazing how the Swede keeps getting away with murder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 734 Old 11-24-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 73
have to have the final showdown somewhere in the final season between Bohannon and the Swede. Maybe the Swede finds his family first?
post #723 of 734 Old 11-28-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Finally had a chance to catch up with the last three episodes.

The Dead Rabbits? I guess somebody just watched Gangs of New York and said, "Hey, let's throw that in the show!"

Did anybody count how many montages the second-to-last episode had? I lost track around 50.

Ruth allowing herself to be executed was a stupid plot contrivance to generate drama. There's absolutely no reason at all she would have been charged with murder for what she did.

The finale was pretty much a mess in terms of narrative. Let's just have everyone leave town at the same time so that they can conveniently meet up again somewhere else next season!
acebreathe likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #724 of 734 Old 11-28-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Ruth allowing herself to be executed was a stupid plot contrivance to generate drama. There's absolutely no reason at all she would have been charged with murder for what she did.
I agree that Ruth's decision to be hanged, rather than accepting a reprieve, was ridiculous. I thought Campbell's decision to charge her with murder worked, though. Campbell is a rigid man with a mean streak and bad judgment, so I thought his charging Ruth with murder was consistent with what we know of the man.
acebreathe likes this.
post #725 of 734 Old 11-29-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree that Ruth's decision to be hanged, rather than accepting a reprieve, was ridiculous. I thought Campbell's decision to charge her with murder worked, though. Campbell is a rigid man with a mean streak and bad judgment, so I thought his charging Ruth with murder was consistent with what we know of the man.
Ruth's decision was ridiculous, but as I stated before, she had been exposed to so much psychological pain in her life that she just decided to end it. If Cullen hadn't been married, I think she would have definitely accepted the pardon. They obviously cared deeply for each other, but Cullen's sense of responsibility to his family precluded the love he had for Ruth and she knew it. I will definitely miss her as I have missed Lily Bell.
post #726 of 734 Old 11-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
[QUOTE=BoilerJim I will definitely miss her as I have missed Lily Bell.[/QUOTE]
If you indeed miss a television character than the Writer, Director, Showrunner and Actor has done their job.
apk8 likes this.
post #727 of 734 Old 11-29-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
If you indeed miss a television character than the Writer, Director, Showrunner and Actor has done their job.
Walter White

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #728 of 734 Old 12-26-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I really like Mount. When it comes to playing good looking but weird southerners he is in a class with Matthew McConaughey.
Finally had the time to binge watch over the last 2 days and I've got 2.5 episodes left to finish out the season .. stayed away from the thread, naturally ..

What I like about the character Bohannon is the Code he lives by .. lines like "Don't say I did not try and work this out ahead of time" .. "We can settle this like gentlemen, it does not have to end bad" .. almost impart a Super Hero type feel, somewhat like Reese in "Person of Interest" in a way .. and many other protagonists for that matter .. and no matter how often he gets the crap kicked out of him, he rises to overcome ..

Myself, I think it's a great show, it's nice to have a Western, although it may not quite be "Deadwood", it's still a good addition to the TV landscape and I hope, when it ends, something similar comes along ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #729 of 734 Old 12-26-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Done ... I have to say the single buffalo scene by the side of the track was great, and that old Dylan song, I Shall Be Released was a fitting ending song ...
UTV2TiVo and andwhatnot like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #730 of 734 Old 01-12-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Just finished up the season as well -- too much stuff backlogged in front of it. First in, first out.

Really enjoyed the season. I like how they're going to have Cullen work for Durant's rival, an interesting twist for the final season but one which takes Bohannon away from the Central Pacific and "Hell on Wheels". Perhaps the east-bound railroad has a similar camp following, only composed mainly of Chinese (and now, Mormons)...? But I suppose it makes sense, in a way. Cullen has lost everyone he cared about who was previously associated with the railroad. But he and Durant will always have Cheyenne.

One of the things I like best about this show is how it takes you places you don't expect. Never anticipated the return of Elam, nor his demise at Cullen's hand. Lessor shows would have shown him snapping out of it at the last minute, or Ruth having a last minute change of heart about her fate. I enjoyed both of the episodes devoted to Elam, and liked how they cryptically foretold his fate when Eva mentioned at the beginning of the season how she felt "his spirit leave" (not that he had died). Nice work.

Love how the Swede has managed to survive, and how he and Cullen will be on a fitting collision course next season. Interesting how they paint Brigham Young as an ambitious and ruthless businessman, with the strategic morality required of a CEO running such a vast and growing empire based largely on cult of personality.

Loved how the production department builds these period machines as well. The steam shovel was a marvel, and even the old printing press looked authentic (probably borrowed it from a museum or something). The season began with the sinking of a locomotive into a semi-frozen lake. Didn't look like CGI. Might have been a model. Whatever, it was convincing. As is the portrayal of the brutal reality of the old west. Glad we get another season, but like others, don't see why they need to split it up over two years. Maybe AMC's original production department is having a tough time coming up with new series ideas.

Last edited by archiguy; 01-12-2015 at 12:06 PM.
post #731 of 734 Old 01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Just finished up the season as well -- too much stuff backlogged in front of it. First in, first out.

Really enjoyed the season. I like how they're going to have Cullen work for Durant's rival, an interesting twist for the final season but one which takes Bohannon away from the Central Pacific and "Hell on Wheels". Perhaps the east-bound railroad has a similar camp following, only composed mainly of Chinese (and now, Mormons)...? But I suppose it makes sense, in a way. Cullen has lost everyone he cared about who was previously associated with the railroad. But he and Durant will always have Cheyenne.

One of the things I like best about this show is how it takes you places you don't expect. Never anticipated the return of Elam, nor his demise at Cullen's hand. Lessor shows would have shown him snapping out of it at the last minute, or Ruth having a last minute change of heart about her fate. I enjoyed both of the episodes devoted to Elam, and liked out they cryptically foretold his fate when Eva mentioned at the beginning of the season how she felt "his spirit leave" (not that he had died). Nice work.

Love how the Swede has managed to survive, and how he and Cullen will be on a fitting collision course next season. interesting how they proclaim Brigham Young as an ambitious businessman, with the strategic morality required of a CEO running such a vast and growing empire based largely on cult of personality.

Loved how the production department builds these period machines as well. The steam shovel was a marvel, and even the old printing press looked authentic (probably borrowed it from a museum or something). The season began with the sinking of a locomotive into a semi-frozen lake. Didn't look like CGI. Might have been a model. Whatever, it was convincing. As is the portrayal of the brutal reality of the old west. Glad we get another season, but like others, don't see why they need to split it up over two years. Maybe AMC's original production department is having a tough time coming up with new series ideas.
Very well summarized. Though I watched these episodes the night they aired, it was nice being reminded of what makes this show so great, even if I don't always like the outcomes (Elam and Ruth).
post #732 of 734 Old 01-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Hell on Wheels should receive an award for best cinematography.
Keenan likes this.
post #733 of 734 Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Arch, great summation ..

Uncle Willie

post #734 of 734 Old 01-14-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The season began with the sinking of a locomotive into a semi-frozen lake. Didn't look like CGI. Might have been a model. Whatever, it was convincing.
Oh, that very much looked like CGI to me.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Hell On Wheels The Complete First Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Hell by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page