"Hell on Wheels" on AMC HD - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 783 Old 08-19-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 122
A movie? The show doesn't have enough of a following for that.

The season is building up to a Bohanon/Swede showdown and one of them has to go before the show ends.
JoeTiVo and John dhein like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 783 Old Today, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
We may get the Swede Bohannon showdown sooner than I thought if the 2016 previews are any indication. Interesting season finale with a lot to cover whenever this does come back. I really hope it's before next summer.
post #783 of 783 Old Today, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looking forward to the 2016 season. However, one thing about this series has always annoyed me. I am a railroad buff, and the props they use for Hell on Wheels are laughable. This is a museum-quality restoration of an original Central Pacific (i.e. Building West from the Great Plains) 4-4-0 wood-burning steam locomotive (Schenectady Locomotive Works):

This is the 4-4-0 replica they use on the show, built entirely of wood, styrofoam, plywood, and airbrushed with faux finishes to look used and abused:

Note the distinctive bell-shaped stack, which is a spark arrester that prevents burning wood coals from being expelled by the powered draft of the boiler firebox.

The Union Pacific (building East through the Sierras) used coal-burning locomotives (Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works):

The Central Pacific "Jupiter" and the Union Pacific "119" were in fact used at the "Golden Spike" ceremony when the railroads united.

I mean, I understand why they do this: even these smaller locomotives weigh in at 20+ tons. You cannot lay some wooden ties on undisturbed sod and lay fake rails on the wood and then roll a real train over them. (Look at the track in the second photo.) The weight of the train would sink the ties into the earth and the train would likely derail. But you can push the lightweight train replica back and forth, then relocate your props, while not even killing the grass.

That's my main beef. The other has always been that this is a modern and PC version of the Old West, inhabited by contemporary characters. Contrast what you see on HOW to a more authentic series like HBO's Deadwood, which had higher production values, and strived for both historical accuracy and period-correct dialogue and behaviors.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Hell On Wheels The Complete First Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Hell by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page