Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Aren't the promos generally not even done by the show creators though? I wouldn't put any weight on what the network promos say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

How is it a lie?

If you only consider those supposedly under the curse and separate them from the one who created it, then Rumple knowing is still only one.

You can't count the kid, either, since he never was in fantasy world and not part of the curse.

I'm talking about the opening credits... up until this week... the opening credits would show several scenes with a narrator saying "only one knows"... and if they are now revealing that both the Queen and Rumplestiltskin know... that is two... not one... and it makes the opening narration a lie all along.

I don't mind if those characters know... but I don't like the intentional misdirection of lying during the opening narration to lead us to believe that they do not know.

I still like the show... I just wonder why they ever had that narration to begin with IF this was the plot/plan all along.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I don't mind if those characters know... but I don't like the intentional misdirection of lying during the opening narration to lead us to believe that they do not know.

Yeah but that's actually genius if you think about it. Rumple kept his secret from everyone. Including the narrator.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Now that we know that he knows and she knows, any thoughts to what his game is? I would think he would be in favor of reversing the curse to get his power back though the Queen holds an ace card (Belle) in the hole.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Yeah but that's actually genius if you think about it. Rumple kept his secret from everyone. Including the narrator.

I guess he said "please" to the narrator...

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 54
He most likely made a "deal" with the narrator!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Loved this episode. Mr. Gold is fast becoming the highlight of the entire show. His back story was excellent. Very interesting episode!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

But does anyone else know that he knows she knows he knows what she though he didn't know?

I thought I knew, but now I don't know if they know what we know ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkashner View Post

Good episode last night. I don't remember if it was Emma or Snow that picked up a candy bar in the store it was an Apollo bar from the Dharma initiative from Lost?

I'm sorry I only see POLLO from that ....

(remember Pollos Hermanos LOL)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I thought I knew, but now I don't know if they know what we know ..

I didn't know that he knew, or when he knew it, but now that I do know that he knows and that she knows that he knows we all know it. Ya know?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think it's a lie for the narrator to say only one knows. Let's say I have a secret and I say that no one knows it. Am I lying because I know what my secret is? If I share my secret with one person do I have to say that 2 people know my secret? I think not - only one other person knows my secret, ergo only one knows. No?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

When the narrator says the part about only one knowing, doesn't the screen show a shot of Gold and then change to a shot of the queen? Or maybe the other way around?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Quote:

I'm talking about the opening credits... up until this week... the opening credits would show several scenes with a narrator saying "only one knows"... and if they are now revealing that both the Queen and Rumplestiltskin know... that is two... not one... and it makes the opening narration a lie all along.

I still like the show... I just wonder why they ever had that narration to begin with IF this was the plot/plan all along.

You need to take the whole narration into account for it to make sense. I just watched the beginning of an ep On Demand to check and he says this:

Quote:

Once upon a time an evil queen banished every storybook character you've ever known to our world. Only one knows the truth and only one can break her spell.

It seems pretty clear that the "only one" who knows is referring to one person from all the story book characters which the queen banished, mentioned in the preceeding sentence. Same with the "only one" who can break her spell. That would automatically exlude Henry, who obviously knows, from the comment as well, since he isn't one of the storybook characters the queen banished.

ron
Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems pretty clear that the "only one" who knows is referring to one person from all the story book characters which the queen banished, mentioned in the preceeding sentence. Same with the "only one" who can break her spell. That would automatically exlude Henry, who obviously knows, from the comment as well, since he isn't one of the storybook characters the queen banished.

Yeah, but using that logic (which makes sense)... you have to exclude Emma as well... because while she was a Storybook character (i.e. she was born there)... she was not banished. She was sent through the magic tree before the curse took full effect... which is why Emma was not bound to the town like the other characters.

So... IF the "one" refers to storybook characters only... then Emma has to be excluded from that narration meaning as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 696
I'm kinda glad I just kick back in the recliner and take the show as it is .. I can't get into a "Lost" type mode with this one ..

At 110" it's pretty clean, as well ..

Rumpel / Gold is carrying the show, IMO, at this point .. without him, it would be not nearly as interesting ..

I don't really care for the Prince ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It always seemed obvious to me that "one who knows" = Henry and "one can break her spell" = Emma. I didn't think there'd be any other way to interpret it. The narrator is talking about the residents of Storybrooke. Now, clearly we now know this isn't the case, but you don't really want the narrator revealing secrets during the opening of the show.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:

The problem with both the Queen and Rumplestiltskin knowing... is that they made a huge point in the early episode credits of saying "only one knows"... so, what... they were lying about that?

See, when you lie to your audience there's no way for them to follow what is happening. It is an outright lie for them to have been saying "only one knows" all this time if we now see that at least 2 people have always known.

Quote:

Aren't the promos generally not even done by the show creators though? I wouldn't put any weight on what the network promos say.

ron

Quote:

Quote:

You need to take the whole narration into account for it to make sense. I just watched the beginning of an ep On Demand to check and he says this:

ron

This has been argued to death on several forums, including here. Yes, I believe that the opening narration is not controlled by the shows creators. During the run of other shows, this has been brought out. Second, I agree that the only possible explanation is that only one person CURSED, knows--Rumple. The Queen is not cursed, she performed the curse on everyone else. She cursed them all, but not herself.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 02-14-2012, 04:45 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, but using that logic (which makes sense)... you have to exclude Emma as well... because while she was a Storybook character (i.e. she was born there)... she was not banished. She was sent through the magic tree before the curse took full effect... which is why Emma was not bound to the town like the other characters.

So... IF the "one" refers to storybook characters only... then Emma has to be excluded from that narration meaning as well.

Well, I still question whether the pre-show promo piece is even done by the show runners anyway. There have been a number of instances of producers explaining to fans that they have little/no control over that kind of material and it's accuracy. I wouldn't put any stock in anything that's not actually in the show myself.

ron
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post

it always seemed obvious to me that "one who knows" = henry and "one can break her spell" = emma. I didn't think there'd be any other way to interpret it. The narrator is talking about the residents of storybrooke. Now, clearly we now know this isn't the case, but you don't really want the narrator revealing secrets during the opening of the show.

+1.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

This has been argued to death on several forums, including here. Yes, I believe that the opening narration is not controlled by the shows creators. During the run of other shows, this has been brought out. Second, I agree that the only possible explanation is that only one person CURSED, knows--Rumple. The Queen is not cursed, she performed the curse on everyone else. She cursed them all, but not herself.

She seems to be affected by the curse herself, though... I mean, she can't leave town either, right? And if she still has the ability to cast spells she sure hasn't been making use of it against (oh, say) Emma...

Quote:

Well, I still question whether the pre-show promo piece is even done by the show runners anyway. There have been a number of instances of producers explaining to fans that they have little/no control over that kind of material and it's accuracy. I wouldn't put any stock in anything that's not actually in the show myself.

I won't argue against you on this point, because you may very well be right. I have heard of this before. But it does make you wonder... Playing teaser promos that reveal bits of the show during the week is one thing... but the actual promo tied to the opening credits every week kind of like the "previously on ..." for other shows... that seems pretty weak to tack something on that is completely counter to what is actually happening on the show.

In any event... I still like the show, some episodes more than others... but I like it in general and find much of the cast to be likeable and worth following this thing to see how it all plays out.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

It always seemed obvious to me that "one who knows" = Henry and "one can break her spell" = Emma. I didn't think there'd be any other way to interpret it. The narrator is talking about the residents of Storybrooke. Now, clearly we now know this isn't the case, but you don't really want the narrator revealing secrets during the opening of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post

+1.

+2

Maybe I'm just simple but that's how I viewed it from the start but will admit I didn't put nearly as much thought into as some have.

I tend to use mgkdragn's philosophy of watching this. And @ 110", it does look good.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Liked: 16
This may have been hit upon by someone previously but shouldn't Rumplestiltskin lose a bit of his power when the Queen guesses his name? In the fairy tales he loses a bet for a firstborn child. In this case he seems to have lost nothing.

On a side note, I feel kinda bad for Belle's father. He got beat-down pretty harshly by Rumple considering he's currently unaware of his transgressions toward Belle in fairytale world. Rumple went Tony Soprano on him.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

...On a side note, I feel kinda bad for Belle's father. He got beat-down pretty harshly by Rumple considering he's currently unaware of his transgressions toward Belle in fairytale world. Rumple went Tony Soprano on him.

I totally agree, but that scene was intended to show Rumple's depth of feeling, that has been denying, about Belle. He assumed that her dad had arranged a "cure" for her association with him that was so cruel that she killed herself rather than subject herself to more of it. The fact that Gold remembered that he had caused the death of Belle was what Regina wanted. He confirmed it without a doubt when he told her his name. In this version of the fairy tale, it's that dagger that holds the power to control him, not his name, which he had even before he got the power.

The real tragedy of that scene, and Gold's completely losing it, is, that Belle is not dead. The Evil Queen (TM) lied to Rumple in fairy-tale-world. He believes her to be dead, but EQ (Regina) is holding her as leverage to control Rumple's power. I guess she doesn't know about the dagger.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 02-16-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

This may have been hit upon by someone previously but shouldn't Rumplestiltskin lose a bit of his power when the Queen guesses his name? In the fairy tales he loses a bet for a firstborn child. In this case he seems to have lost nothing.

You're forgetting that the writers change something significant in every story - a sort of "Fractured Fairy Tale" sort of thing.

Cinderella's Fairy God Mother got blown to bits, there was an 8th dwarf, etc. These are neither the original tales nor the Disney version - sort of a hybrid of both with yet another outcome.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah... in this version (based on the flashbacks) it seems everyone knows Rumplestiltskin is his name... so apparently no power there.

And the Queen knew too... she just wanted to see if Mr Gold knew. That was the point of her questioning him.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Speaking of lies and the opening narration, did anyone here watch Battlestar Galactica? 3 seasons of "...and they have a plan". :/

Anyway, watching on 110" screen here as well. Common screen size in these parts, it seems.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 122
The evil queen wishes all the pricesses end up like this..

http://www.thomasczarnecki.com/from-...t-to-down.html

We are still missing the little mermaid and Alice story... or refresh my memory..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM

Liked: 14
Did anyone notice that the opening intro was different this week?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post

Did anyone notice that the opening intro was different this week?

Yep... they changed what they were saying about how many people know the truth... I don't know why they didn't use this narration to begin with OR just not have any voiceover at all.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Maybe someone from the network is reading this thread?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Yep... they changed what they were saying about how many people know the truth... I don't know why they didn't use this narration to begin with OR just not have any voiceover at all.

Well remember how it was discussed who know the truth (I always pulled for Rumple) . Then it was Queen who knew, now its Rumple. As others come to grips if they are not killed I expect the narration to change.