"Once Upon a Time" on ABC HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1260 Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Still would have been better if we just flashed back and forth to the stories in the book, not knowing whether or not they were real, showing how the kid was dealing with his depression and isolation. I don't like the fact that in the first episode the fairy-tales are real. That's too easy an explanation. If I wanted that I'd go watch Inkheart.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 153
This was much better then I thought it would be, I am definitely in for this season.

post #33 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I hate to say it but I liked it. Shows real promise, decent acting and I can watch this with the kiddies.
post #34 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM

Liked: 13
Another Lost easter egg was the scene opening on her eye when she wakes in the jail cell.....i thought that one was VERY obvious. Maybe I am getting rusty on my LOST, but what was the significance of 108? Why can't I place that #????

Overall I thought this was good and has promise. For those who are complaining that the fairy tales are real, who is to say that the fairy tales aren't only in the kids imagination? I doubt we can say with any certainty which way they will go with the overall story. They definitely want us to THINK they are real right out of the gate so I will hold off on buying it hook line and sinker at this point.
post #35 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM

Liked: 19
Desmond, or whoever was in the hatch at the time, had to press the button every 108 minutes to prevent the bomb from exploding. Also, 108 is the sum of Hurley's "lucky numbers" (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42).

Another Lost connection was that the time on the clock before Emma arrived in Storybrooke was 8:15 -- the Lost flight that crashed was Oceanic 815.

The Once Upon A Time Wikipedia page lists five "Lost connections" in the pilot:

1 - the 108 address number
2 - the clock time of 8:15
3 - the close-up of Emma's eye
4 - a Geronimo Jackson bumper sticker
5 - a "smoke monster" engulfing the Enchanted Forest to represent the Evil Queen's curse taking effect

I may have to watch the pilot again OnDemand to find the bumper sticker!
post #36 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Didn't know or hear anything about this show until I saw a commercial for it on Sunday afternoon that said "From the writers of LOST." the wife and I ( both were huge LOST fans) watched it and thought it was pretty good. I'll definitely watch at least a few more and see if it holds up.
post #37 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

This was much better then I thought it would be, I am definitely in for this season.

+1

I was expecting something a lot less engaging, and was expecting to not like it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I too am in for the season. (Or as long as it lasts.) I'm happy about the ratings for the pilot, but it's next weeks numbers that will be significant.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #38 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I liked it -- it's different, which is a lot right on its own. I am so tired of all the crime dramas.

I also liked the woman-centeredness of it (three major female characters), and it passed the Bechdel test in the first episode, which is pretty rare as well.
post #39 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Watched it last night and it was definitely better than I expected.

I would second that the Lost writers are better with fantasy than sci-fi. It is also very amusing that a lot of the same themes from Lost is applicable here.

For all we know, all of the fairy characters are in the "Sideway" world ruled by the "Queen" where everyone lost the memory from the world they just came from just like Lost. Especially now that we know prince charming is alive in the Storyville. Is he supposed to be Jack?

P.S. I thought the queen in mayor's power suit looked smoking hot...
post #40 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So if you are a Evil queen in one world, your a politician in this one?

No need to say Evil politician :P
post #41 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

I also liked the woman-centeredness of it (three major female characters), and it passed the Bechdel test in the first episode, which is pretty rare as well.

You have made me aware what I am far from well informed about "Women's Issues." Before I did a Google search after reading your post, I could not have told you the difference between a Bechdel test and a Rorschach test.
post #42 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

You have made me aware what I am far from well informed about "Women's Issues." Before I did a Google search after reading your post, I could not have told you the difference between a Bechdel test and a Rorschach test.

The Bechdel test is one of those things that surprised me, even as a woman and consumer of (plenty of) mass entertainment. It seems so very simple, yet it's amazing how many episodes of a show like Grey's Anatomy can't manage to pass.
post #43 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Liked: 11
The pilot was (surprisingly) good, to me.

I noticed (and liked) the similarities to the movie Don Juan DeMarco (not sure if any of the writers purposely did that, but definitely a similar theme). Just this aspect is enough to keep me interested in seeing what they do with it, let alone the scheming between the good and evil characters.

Most (all?) of us can use a bit of magic and fantasy in our life.

I wonder if there will be a bit more "gray" introduced to the "good versus evil" characters, per recent fairy tale incarnations, or if the writers will stay with standard fairy tale character conventions and concentrate on the plot and suspense elements.

Cliff
post #44 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post

i liked it -- it's different, which is a lot right on its own. I am so tired of all the crime dramas.

I also liked the woman-centeredness of it (three major female characters), and it passed the bechdel test in the first episode, which is pretty rare as well.

+1

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #45 of 1260 Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The character development will make or break this series. I very much liked what I saw in the pilot. This is on my DVR list at this point. We'll see how it holds up over the next month or so.
post #46 of 1260 Old 10-26-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The pilot re-airs this week before the normal slot. Given the positive reviews here I have added it to my queue.
post #47 of 1260 Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I enjoyed it a lot.

While a do agree it might have been better to leave it more ambiguous about the kid's sanity (thus making the introduction of the shrink more useful), I don't think it's a deal killer.

I do wonder how long they can stay in limbo and still have a series, but I can definitely see a little blending into both worlds going on as things progress. I'll worry about that part if it becomes an issue.
post #48 of 1260 Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

The character development will make or break this series. I very much liked what I saw in the pilot. This is on my DVR list at this point. We'll see how it holds up over the next month or so.

I totally agree! I am looking forward to the ah-ha moments when they do the reveal of each characters fairy-tale secret identity.

I love the props they added - the psychologist's Jimminey Cricket's umbrella! And all the easter-egg cudos to LOST!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #49 of 1260 Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have a ipad and the abc app you can watch it there also.

Bobby Ray
post #50 of 1260 Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This just in .....

If you missed the premier, ABC is re-airing it on Sunday @ 7pm just before the new eps @ 8pm.

post #51 of 1260 Old 10-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

I liked this, so much so that I watched it twice. Had no idea what to expect, was never a huge Lost fan. But I'm definitely in on this one for the season. My thoughts pretty much echo what's been said in this thread but another thing I'll add is that I loved the music, not surprised to see Mark Isham is behind it.
post #52 of 1260 Old 10-29-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 82
My family liked it so I've setup a Season Pass, we'll see how it progresses. Nice to have another family friendly program, especially since NOF(No Ordinary Family) was cancelled last year
Did anyone else notice the blue dress on the flying princess fairy she may have been small in size but......not everything was small
Like the lead actress but not as much the princess, just something about her I don't care for but overall a + for the show. This episode really reminded my of Shrek, especially Shrek 1 which is a good thing because I really liked Shrek.
post #53 of 1260 Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I quite enjoyed the pilot. Paying homage to the classic fairy tale creatures was a nice touch too. Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin should be entertaining.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #54 of 1260 Old 10-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Did anyone else notice the blue dress on the flying princess fairy she may have been small in size but......not everything was small

I thought that was a nice addition.
post #55 of 1260 Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Another good episode tonight. The storyline is progressing nicely.
post #56 of 1260 Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Agreed, so far they're holding up their end of the bargain quite well. Lot's of little surprises and the rivalry between Emma and the Queen was well done.
post #57 of 1260 Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
I liked the second episode of Once Upon a Time, too. I love the Queen/Mayor's delicious nastiness and the weird power Rumplestiltskin/Gold manages to exert on her in both the fairy tale and Storybrooke universes. I also continue to be impressed with Jennifer Morrison as the intrepid Emma Swan. My biggest disappointment so far has been the Magic Mirror/Sidney character, which is a role that seems to me to waste the marvelously talented Giancarlo Esposito.
post #58 of 1260 Old 10-31-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I missed the shows debut, and caught the last half of the pilot last yesterday, and then watched the second episode. The show was OK. It could have been a little smarter, but I can see it as a family friendly show.
post #59 of 1260 Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I enjoyed both episodes. So far I like where this show is going. A family friendly show as others have pointed out. (The actresses are hot too)
post #60 of 1260 Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 AM

After the first two episodes I'm still liking it, so that's a good thing. I have a major crush on snow white, she is so cute.
The evil queen is pretty hot also. Emma Swan....meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

.....My biggest disappointment so far has been the Magic Mirror/Sidney character, which is a role that seems to me to waste the marvelously talented Giancarlo Esposito.

I didn't know he was going to be in this show so I was surprised when I saw him. Maybe at the end of the series he can take a box cutter to the queen.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page