'Saturday Night Live' 2011-2012 Season - On NBC HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 580 Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
the harry potter sketch was great. loved haders take on snape.

neflixis our nemesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 580 Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You haven't been following the music press have you? Her international fanbase has exactly the same fervor.

Like it or not you will be hearing about her all year for one reason or another.

Yeah, like we all have to live thru that useless Justin Bieber! A kid that has already wrote his "memoirs"!

Give me a break!!!

If it wasn't for all the media andreality hype, we would not have the orange people of Jersey Shore! (another waste of time and protoplasm!)

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
post #273 of 580 Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Looks like her SNL performance was par for the awful course. That other linked video was atrocious as well. She'll be dead on arrival.
post #274 of 580 Old 01-17-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I found myself watching her intently... to figure out if she had anything on under that tablecloth dress of hers.

CW Hinkle
post #275 of 580 Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You haven't been following the music press have you? Her international fanbase has exactly the same fervor.

Like it or not you will be hearing about her all year for one reason or another.

Well, we may be hearing about her, but we sure won't be hearing her unless she raises her voice above its current unintelligible mumble. But she makes up for it with that Gaga-like high-energy stage presence, eh?

I know Gaga. Gaga is a performer I respect. This chick is no Gaga.

She kind of reminds me of a bad AI auditioner - someone with no talent but a lot of "support" from her loved ones when what she really needs from 'em is some tough love. She shor is purdy, though, and apparently well-financed and that alone can take you pretty far these days. My guess is her career will be over before you can say "Duffy".
post #276 of 580 Old 01-17-2012, 12:32 PM

the backlash against her when the interwebs found out she wasn't who she was made out to be was bad enough already. throw in a stinker of a live performance on a big stage like that? she'll be lucky if she has even close to the same push going forward that she has enjoyed over the last few months..
post #277 of 580 Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Paul Brittain has left SNL immediately and "amicably" to pursue other interests.
post #278 of 580 Old 01-31-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Paul Brittain has left SNL immediately and "amicably" to pursue other interests.

Darn, who's going to do the Lord Wyndemere sketches now?

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #279 of 580 Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Hopefully no one, I have never been a fan of those.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #280 of 580 Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

STEVEN! Get the lord some sweets!
post #281 of 580 Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

STEVEN! Get the lord some sweets!

Somebody catch that little son of a b*%$h I wanna hear that secret!!! Oh my god this was my favorite skit, I wonder why he left? He seemed like he was just getting in the groove. His Ron Paul was awesome too. Oh and the "Sex" Ed guy!!! I am really upset about this! This is like that time that Norm MacDonald was fired because they told him he wasn't funny even though he was awesome!

Why couldn't it have been Taran Killam? I've never found him funny. He reminds me of Dane Cook for some reason. I think it's the muscles. He's a little too in shape to be funny. The only guy with muscles that is funny is Terry Crews.
post #282 of 580 Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
AICN.com has been reporting that Kristen Wiig, a cast member since 2005, and Jason Sudeikis, who joined in 2003, are expected to leave the show in May. Just rumor at this point, nothing official yet.
post #283 of 580 Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Somebody catch that little son of a b*%$h I wanna hear that secret!!! Oh my god this was my favorite skit, I wonder why he left? He seemed like he was just getting in the groove. His Ron Paul was awesome too. Oh and the "Sex" Ed guy!!! I am really upset about this! This is like that time that Norm MacDonald was fired because they told him he wasn't funny even though he was awesome!

Why couldn't it have been Taran Killam? I've never found him funny. He reminds me of Dane Cook for some reason. I think it's the muscles. He's a little too in shape to be funny. The only guy with muscles that is funny is Terry Crews.

I personally wouldnt mind seeing Jay Pharoah go. The guy is good at doing straight-up impressions of famous black people, but once you get him away from that, he's just dreadful. But yeah, I'll miss the little lord, if for no other reason than I love seeing Hader as the crazy footman.
post #284 of 580 Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I personally wouldnt mind seeing Jay Pharoah go. The guy is good at doing straight-up impressions of famous black people, but once you get him away from that, he's just dreadful. But yeah, I'll miss the little lord, if for no other reason than I love seeing Hader as the crazy footman.

Yeah I forgot about him. He even kind of made fun of himself it seemed like on "The Jay Pharoah Show" skit. He was interviewing a guest and pretty much had nothing to say and had no personality until he would bust out his Will Smith or Denzel impression, then it would go right back to awkward. I still like him better than the other new guy.
post #285 of 580 Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

AICN.com has been reporting that Kristen Wiig, a cast member since 2005, and Jason Sudeikis, who joined in 2003, are expected to leave the show in May. Just rumor at this point, nothing official yet.

About damn time, considering Wiig and Sudeikis (and Bill Hader, too) are already fairly successful in their film roles, which has always been a difficult transition for SNL alumni. Maybe they were just hedging their bets?

Sad is the SNL alum who left before their star was high enough to get consistent movie roles.

post #286 of 580 Old 02-01-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
[quote=squeakybirnbaum;21579817]Somebody catch that little son of a b*%$h I wanna hear that secret!!! Oh my god this was my favorite skit, I wonder why he left? He seemed like he was just getting in the groove. His Ron Paul was awesome too. Oh and the "Sex" Ed guy!!! I am really upset about this! This is like that time that Norm MacDonald was fired because they told him he wasn't funny even though he was awesome!

yeah, me too. i thought he was really coming into his own this season and had some great characters. way better than killiam

Quote:

i hope not. 2 of the most versatile performers on the cast. this will really leave snl depleted of good talent, and, imho, their worst years have been when they have to restock the cast. they usually have to go through a dozen or two of new improv comedians before they find the good ones.

neflixis our nemesis
post #287 of 580 Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kristen mostly does "variations on a theme". I won't cry if she leaves.

However, Jason is outstanding. He's probably the best one on the cast right now. I'd miss him.
post #288 of 580 Old 02-02-2012, 01:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

I am really upset about this! This is like that time that Norm MacDonald was fired because they told him he wasn't funny even though he was awesome!

One of my favorite SNL bits ever was "Bob Dole on The Real World".
post #289 of 580 Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

One of my favorite SNL bits ever was "Bob Dole on The Real World".

I've never seen that but I tried to find it on Youtube and evidently it's practically impossible to find. Here's the top comment on an 8 second clip of it on Youtube.

"Everyone, everywhere who loved Norm's Bob Dole has been searching tirelessly for years on the internet for this whole skit. I think the only feasable way to get this skit on the internet is to build a time machine, go back to the original broadcast, videotape it, then get back to the future and put it on the damned internet. Its like pulling teeth to get the classic SNL moments available for viewing."
post #290 of 580 Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Other than his Bob Dole impression, Norm had no regular characters and was not a versatile performer. Even when he was in sketches he was pretty much doing his "As a matter of fact..." standup routine. That's why he was moved to Weekend Update where this might work.

He tried to make Weekend Update more like a newscast parody like Chevy Chase had and less like a standup routine like Dennis Miller had. This was risky and unfortunately he didn't have good enough material to pull it off and told far too many jokes that got no reaction from the audience. Since he was strictly sticking to the newscast ("fake news") parody format, he couldn't improvise or play off the muted reaction and was left staring into the camera. When this happened to Dennis Miller he would laugh at himself and make up a followup joke since that's what you do in standup.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #291 of 580 Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Other than his Bob Dole impression, Norm had no regular characters and was not a versatile performer.

I think his Burt Reynolds was pretty solid. With Norm though, it was about Weekend Update, and he's still one of the best they've had. It's widely known that he got canned for his constant ripping of OJ Simpson.
post #292 of 580 Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Since he was strictly sticking to the newscast ("fake news") parody format, he couldn't improvise or play off the muted reaction and was left staring into the camera.

That was my favorite part!
post #293 of 580 Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I think his Burt Reynolds was pretty solid. With Norm though, it was about Weekend Update, and he's still one of the best they've had. It's widely known that he got canned for his constant ripping of OJ Simpson.

And you believe that? Nearly every show that season had an OJ sketch and no one else got fired. The jabs at OJ continued after Collin Quinn replaced him.

The book "Live From New York: An Uncensored History Of Saturday Night Live" made it clear that he got fired because of the sounds of crickets a certain NBC executive heard after too many jokes fell flat. When MacDonald appeared on Letterman, he admitted that he couldn't do much else on the show since they wouldn't demote him back to writing.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #294 of 580 Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And you believe that? Nearly every show that season had an OJ sketch and no one else got fired. The jabs at OJ continued after Collin Quinn replaced him.

The book "Live From New York: An Uncensored History Of Saturday Night Live" made it clear that he got fired because of the sounds of crickets a certain NBC executive heard after too many jokes fell flat. When MacDonald appeared on Letterman, he admitted that he couldn't do much else on the show since they wouldn't demote him back to writing.

Of course I believe it. The other jokes about OJ weren't incredibly mean like his were. And those weren't crickets. Those were huge laughs. The crickets arrived after the idiots running SNL put the horrendously ill-equipped Colin Quinn on Weekend Update. Blech.
post #295 of 580 Old 02-03-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Why is it that Jimmy Fallon can put together a segment "The Wives of Late Night" with mostly amateur players that's as good as most of SNL ?

Kevin
post #296 of 580 Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the "crickets" scowl thinks he heard are due to the delivery of Norm's style (Norm MacDonald, by the way, IS a stand-up comedian). Its part of his charm. When he tells a joke, he will stare into the camera or at the audience listening to their reaction. Sometimes, even the stare can be funny in and of itself.

MacDonald was a very popular castmember on Saturday Night Live, and it was disappointing when he was fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

Why is it that Jimmy Fallon can put together a segment "The Wives of Late Night" with mostly amateur players that's as good as most of SNL ?

Because Late Night with Jimmy Fallon is not Saturday Night Live.

35 years ago, the "Not Ready for Prime-Time Players" that we all know and love were nobodies. They made SNL into what it is today. Now that SNL is an institution, people expect great things from it, and there is more of a microscope on it. Microscopes tend to magnify problems as much as successes.

No one expects great things from Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, so they can get away with more, and that ends up being funnier more often than not.

If Jimmy Fallon were still a writer on SNL, chances are some of his Late Night sketches would never make it past the printed page.

post #297 of 580 Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Checking in. Great opening skit about the Moon
post #298 of 580 Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Awful audio mix on the first musical performance.
post #299 of 580 Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 PM

This season has been pretty bad for the music mixes. The only time I've been pumped abut them was during Lana del Rey when she was so crap I didn't want to hear her....
post #300 of 580 Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally a good opening bit. Loved Newt on the Moon.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page