Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

I kept changing the channel and only watched pieces of it.

Do you go to all of the threads of all the TV shows that are too horrible for you to stay tuned to and complain or just this one? There's a ton of shows that I don't watch, but I also don't post in the threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I just started watching this weeks episode and holy crap Jonah Hill is getting big again.

Lose weight fast and it comes back again. I suspect his sort of humor works best delivered by an overweight guy. And he might have lost the weight for a specific role.

I think Stephan on weekend update was about the only funny part. It was a very funny bit though. They lost it on the midget roomba joke.

I'll just bet they come up with bits for Stefon on those cue cards that Hader has never seen, just to make him break. Possibly the same for Kristin.

And possibly Kristin in the past fought getting tickled to help with her marketability for motion pictures. Don't want to suggest you'd make them have to do unnecessary retakes.

CW Hinkle
Old 03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
wow, really unusual show. the opening just died. not funny at all. one of the first skits they did was d.o.a. but then things started getting going. paula deen was so funny my wife came out and yelled at me to stop laughing so loud.

seth is just killing it on weekend update. that material he's writing is as good or better than john stewart or colbert. as always, loved stephan.

jonah hill seemed nervous at first which probably made the opening scenes seem so flat, but once he got going, he was a great host.

he certainly can read cue cards better than zooey could.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip11 View Post

During SNL last night, KNBC had a news ticker superimposed over pretty much all of SNL's first hour (and even over some commercials).

The ticker appeared to be from Saturday morning's news ("Good morning, it's Saturday, March 10, 2012"), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume this was just a huge technical screw-up, rather than some awful way to promote their newscast. Either way, pretty embarrassing for one of the top NBC O&Os.

KSNV here in Las Vegas had a similar thing going on no scroll along the bottom but there was the time and temperature in the same place.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I re-watched the 6 Years Old skit and loved it even more. So many great lines.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The 6yr old skit was good and the weekend update was very funny, other than that this was the worst episode this season, imo. The opening with Rush was particularly brutal and that should have been good for a few easy laughs.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Do you go to all of the threads of all the TV shows that are too horrible for you to stay tuned to and complain or just this one? There's a ton of shows that I don't watch, but I also don't post in the threads.

I watch SNL every week. But as others have said this was a bad episode. The shows I don't watch are the ones I don't waste my time reading about.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought the episode was a bit uneven, but there were a few good segments. I actually enjoyed the opening video doc...."Is it just me or are his glasses getting smaller and his scarves getting bigger?", LOL!

The Digital short this week was pretty stupid but I couldn't stop laughing watching them repeatedly shoot tennis balls into Jonah's junk to resuscitate him

The Weekend Update segment was great as usual with the Paula Deen bit being the funniest. Andy Samberg's turn as Sarah Palin was so unexpectedly hilarious as well!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

The Digital short this week was pretty stupid but I couldn't stop laughing

That usually describes most Digital shorts.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

"Modern Family" star Sofia Vergara will test her live comedy skills on April 7, when she makes her debut as "Saturday Night Live" host.

Vergara was announced as the host during last week's Jonah Hill-hosted "SNL." British boy band One Direction will be the musical guest for the episode.

Vergara, who has been nominated for a pair of Emmys and a pair of Golden Globes for her role as Gloria on "Modern Family," also co-stars in the Bobby and Peter Farrelly-directed "Three Stooges" movie that hits theaters on April 13.

Butthead - "Her Golden Globes are award worthy Beavis, heh heh."
Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

wow, really unusual show. the opening just died. not funny at all. one of the first skits they did was d.o.a. but then things started getting going. paula deen was so funny my wife came out and yelled at me to stop laughing so loud.

seth is just killing it on weekend update. that material he's writing is as good or better than john stewart or colbert. as always, loved stephan.

Sums up my thoughts. Other than the could-have-been-much-much-funnier Limbaugh skit, the show was good.

I thought The Shins were 'eh', though.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

If an episode of SNL has 5 or more funny/memorable skits, it's a win for me. And it's why I've continued to tune in for decades.

This episode had at least 5, so it qualifies as a win:

- Weekend update jokes were great (Seth)
- Paula Deen bit was awesome (Kristin)
- Sarah Palin bit was great (Andy+Seth)
- Jonah's monologue/video was funny
- 6 years Old was great (Jonah)
- Stefon was Stefon (Bill)
- The Short was stupid as hell, but funny
- Monkey rape was funny
- Liza turning off a lamp was amusing
- The Coolio song was really good, but the final visual bit of it was hysterical
- J Pop had a couple funny moments
Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip11 View Post

During SNL last night, KNBC had a news ticker superimposed over pretty much all of SNL's first hour (and even over some commercials).

The ticker appeared to be from Saturday morning's news ("Good morning, it's Saturday, March 10, 2012"), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume this was just a huge technical screw-up, rather than some awful way to promote their newscast. Either way, pretty embarrassing for one of the top NBC O&Os.

I attempted to watch my recording last night and saw that blatant BS plastered across the bottom of my screen too . Deleted the show immediately. They can stick that insulting crap up their asses right where it belongs...

ron
Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
At least KNBC's ticker is kind of sedate (if you want to call it that) My affiliate (WOOD) loves to run tickers regardless of importance (think cat in a tree, old lady locks keys in her car) with a solid blue larger than lower-third background, different color edge on top of the background, white or yellow font with contrasting drop shadow and a solid four-color logo, often animated. If it's weather related, they run two tickers and a map well.

Optical puke.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does anyone know what caused affiliates to display their ticker all across the country? I thought Fox was the only network that had some remote control over their affiliates.

At first I thought it was supposed to be part of the Rush sketch but it was actual local news.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

no ticker watching off of nbc bay area local via dish, but did have the them time displayed where it is shown on the pics posted on this thread. i figured it was a national issue as when they went to local commercials and programming bumps, it was gone.

forgot about the ape being sexually abused. loved that skit. was that fred armison playing the ape? loved the way he talked and how jonah lost it at the end.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no ticker watching off of nbc bay area local via dish, but did have the them time displayed where it is shown on the pics posted on this thread. i figured it was a national issue as when they went to local commercials and programming bumps, it was gone.

forgot about the ape being sexually abused. loved that skit. was that fred armison playing the ape? loved the way he talked and how jonah lost it at the end.

My wife and I both guessed it was Fred by the way he moved.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Only four members of Saturday Night Live's thirteen-person cast are female, and two of those Kristen Wiig and Abby Elliott may not be much longer for the series, as each has been booking extracurricular projects (though Elliot just fell out of the Fox pilot she'd booked a starring role in). With that in mind, Deadline reports that Lorne Michaels has been auditioning new women for the sketch show, and Big Gay Sketch Show veteran Kate McKinnon will join the cast for the next new episode. Other comediennes who've been in the mix include Jessica Joy, Lauren Lapkus, and Elaine Carroll, and yes, the latter is from your favorite web series Very Mary-Kate, and yes again, Michaels still seems unable to find a single funny black woman. Maya Rudolph guest appearances only go so far, guys.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/satur...w-actress.html
Old 03-31-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

- It looks like Andy Samberg to me.

http://tvline.com/2012/03/11/jonah-h...t-worst-skits/
Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

It was definitely Fred.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Huffpo reporting that this is the final season for Wiig, Sudeikis, and Andy Samberg. That's a huge loss of talent at one time if true.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

great show!!! one of the best of the season, and this has been a very good season for snl. they have a superlative cast of comedians and writers currently. enjoy it while it lasts as there may be some significant departures at the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Huffpo reporting that this is the final season for Wiig, Sudeikis, and Andy Samberg. That's a huge loss of talent at one time if true.

that's what i've been afraid of. wiig was a no brainer after her bridesmaids success. sudekis has had several movie roles so he should transition fine.
samberg is somewhat surprising given that his skills are best applied to a show like snl.

i mean he's not going to get a sitcom that is an extended version of his digital shorts.

and whose going to do romney if sudekis leaves?

neflixis our nemesis
Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and whose going to do romney if sudekis leaves?

A mop handle with a wig glued on it?

I'm sure SNL will have Sudekis guest-star some political bits if whoever the new people are can't handle a Romney impression. Frankly Jason doesn't really do an impression. He doesnt really try to look or sound like him. He just acts boring and out of touch, and that's the bit. That's pretty much Jason's method of imitating anyone. He's more funny just doing his own characters. I'll miss him from the show. He's one of the best screamers that the show has ever had. Up there with Will Ferrell.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

A mop handle with a wig glued on it?

I'm sure SNL will have Sudekis guest-star some political bits if whoever the new people are can't handle a Romney impression. Frankly Jason doesn't really do an impression. He doesnt really try to look or sound like him. He just acts boring and out of touch, and that's the bit.

And lets face it I don't think a mop handle with a wig glued to it with the personality of a robot is going to win the election. (I meant that to be funny and sarcastic not a political observation)

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

samberg is somewhat surprising given that his skills are best applied to a show like snl.

i mean he's not going to get a sitcom that is an extended version of his digital shorts.

Samberg has been in a few movies himself, and he has Lonely Island to fall back on. Jorma Taccone has been fairly successful as a director, also. All three write.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 04-07-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Checking in.

Great episode so far.

:beer:
Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I can see how they're focusing on the leaving characters.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Only watched the beginning so far, but the Romney cold open was great and Sofia's outfit for the monologue was HNNNNNG!
Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Anyone else have a glitch with the video frame shifting to the right at the end of the Manuel Ortiz Show bit when the show name graphic was displayed?
WNBC-DT FiOS.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Best bit tonight... Pantene commercial with Sophia and new kid Kate McKinnon (playing Penelope Cruz).

Kate's impression was hilarious, struggling to read long scientific words and destroying them with her Spanish interpretation (like Norm Crosby's double-talk malapropisms gibberish). In the meantime, Sophia got the easy words, like "hair".

I was very impressed with Kate's comedic talents. They've now got quite a large stable of female very funny's, and with Wiig's departure maybe they'll actually finally put somebody else in sketches. No doubt Wiig is supremely talented and funny, but every sketch???

Also noticed that Paul Brittain is gone too right now, along with the impending departure of Sudeikis, Wiig, and Samberg.