"The Walking Dead" **SPOILERS ALLOWED (Thread for those who have read the books) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 11-25-2011, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
think seems like a "hey she grew way to fast to make sense so we have to kill her off" move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I am not mad since this is a spoiler thread, but I didn't want to know the plot of the next episode. I thought this was more of book to show comparison/contrast thread with the spoilers coming from the book. Oh well.

For me, it is about comparing/contrasting with spoilers coming from the book. I don't condone the posting of a spoiler from the TV show, but I'm not a mod here.
post #33 of 54 Old 11-25-2011, 05:39 PM

yea didnt expect to see that here...went looking around to confirm it..seems like there was a disgruntled amc employee because he spoiled episode 6 at the same time and it was verbatum what happened
post #34 of 54 Old 11-26-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry guys. Saw spoilers allowed in the thread title and figured it would be OK to post here.

post #35 of 54 Old 11-26-2011, 12:23 PM

wonder if the crew has time to edit that part out and reshoot an ending to the episode
post #36 of 54 Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enPtOne View Post

think seems like a "hey she grew way to fast to make sense so we have to kill her off" move.

Refer back to LOST & Walt.....had to get the kid off the island when they did to keep that timeline believable.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #37 of 54 Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well now that Sophia is the dead in the show, we get more evidence of how the show diverges from the path of the comic books (as Sophia is still alive up to the current issue of the Walking Dead).

Unlike Game of Thrones, we really are getting to the point of the show being "loosely based" on the books, even though Kirkman is an executive producer. Many of the characters are the same, and they do end up at same/similar places in the books (Herschel's Farm, for example), but that's it other than familar storylines that take different path on the show than the books (Lori's pregnancy).

Part of me likes that it is different (because I can't predict what will happen on the show), but the other part me hates it because there are people who only know the TV series and when they see strange/inconsistent things happen on the show, their interest in checking out the books wanes. You can see this in the criticism of the show in the main thread. If I was in the shoes of those people, I too would not have much interest in reading the books based on the TV show thus far, because I would think that Sophia's lost storyline was also dragged out in the books, etc, etc. That aspect bugs me.
post #38 of 54 Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM

I have never read the books but depicted something on print is alot easier than bringing it to life on the screen. I think they need a character like Shane to be kept around for good vs evil purposes. They need a character like Daryl to have him searching places by himself seem interesting. Most of the content from the books I feel wont even make it to the show including all of the amputations and human on human kills...so its kind of like how ideas are based on certain comics or movies..like transformers movies were based on the toy line and not the cartoon..
post #39 of 54 Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm certainly with you as to the gore. It can't be as gory as the comics, BUT

1.) You think no human on human kills? I highly doubt that since there has been talks that "The Governor" will be in the show. Also, they don't need Shane to be a bad guy, as shown in the books. The Governor and many others fill that quite nicely, and there can still be plenty of turmoil in the group without Shane, as shown in the books.

2.) I still am not sure why Game of Thrones can stick to its material, but Walking Dead can't. I realize most TV/movies based on books jettison a lot, but GOT didn't and was critically acclaimed. Again, I'm not saying the Walking Dead TV show must (or even needs to be) right on with the comic books 100%, I expected changes (like CDC, Daryl, etc), but I didn't expect it to be this different.

You go to the other thread and read people saying that the people that absolutely cannot die are Rick and Shane. I read that and think "Shane should have already been dead a while ago." It's definitely proof that the theme that anyone can die at any time is not in the TV show. Yes the TV show has had death(s) not seen in the comic books, but viewers are already getting the perception that certain people won't die no matter what. What's the point of a zombie/survival show if you know certain people will never die?

I guess I just don't see how Robert Kirkman can accept that, but maybe that's me (and maybe Kirkman is a sell out, after all, his overrated show is one of the top shows on cable)

And yes, I did say overrated. It's certainly good, but overrated doesn't mean it can't be good. I just get the sense that the show is overrated and overhyped simply because there is nothing else like it on TV (i.e., no zombie-survival show). That certainly explains the ratings, the ridiculous Golden Globe Nom for Best Drama for a 6 episode (good, but not awesome) Season 1, etc.
post #40 of 54 Old 11-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

I'm certainly with you as to the gore. It can't be as gory as the comics, BUT

1.) You think no human on human kills? I highly doubt that since there has been talks that "The Governor" will be in the show. Also, they don't need Shane to be a bad guy, as shown in the books. The Governor and many others fill that quite nicely, and there can still be plenty of turmoil in the group without Shane, as shown in the books.

2.) I still am not sure why Game of Thrones can stick to its material, but Walking Dead can't. I realize most TV/movies based on books jettison a lot, but GOT didn't and was critically acclaimed. Again, I'm not saying the Walking Dead TV show must (or even needs to be) right on with the comic books 100%, I expected changes (like CDC, Daryl, etc), but I didn't expect it to be this different.

You go to the other thread and read people saying that the people that absolutely cannot die are Rick and Shane. I read that and think "Shane should have already been dead a while ago." It's definitely proof that the theme that anyone can die at any time is not in the TV show. Yes the TV show has had death(s) not seen in the comic books, but viewers are already getting the perception that certain people won't die no matter what. What's the point of a zombie/survival show if you know certain people will never die?

I guess I just don't see how Robert Kirkman can accept that, but maybe that's me (and maybe Kirkman is a sell out, after all, his overrated show is one of the top shows on cable)

And yes, I did say overrated. It's certainly good, but overrated doesn't mean it can't be good. I just get the sense that the show is overrated and overhyped simply because there is nothing else like it on TV (i.e., no zombie-survival show). That certainly explains the ratings, the ridiculous Golden Globe Nom for Best Drama for a 6 episode (good, but not awesome) Season 1, etc.

they are doing a good job acting for nobodies..so many he is considering keeping their performances rather than just writing them out or essentially firing them. Its alot easier when its a paper and pencil then when you are dealing with actors..
post #41 of 54 Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

So far, the things Game of Thrones has really deviated from in relation to the books have been some early battles - we saw the aftermath, not the battles themselves (surely due to budgetary reasons), a few character moments and a few things revealed @ the end of the "Ice & Fire" season that were actually @ the beginning of the 2nd book. But I imagine George RR Martin is a stickler for the show's producers/writers to try & stick to the source material as much as possible.

As to TWD, I was always under the impression that the show would simply be based on the comics and not be a literal page-to-screen translation. If anything, it does give Kirkman an "alt-verse" zombie apocalypse to play around in.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #42 of 54 Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Hmm...does the old thread warning mean all the book readers have given up on the series? Anyways, I had a wild notion this week watching and wanted some input from those who know the comic. Knowing there have been changes, the biggest probably being Shane still being alive, I just wondered...could he be evolving into the governor? From what I know of the character Shane seems to fit, and if thats the plan it would explain his still being alive...Possible?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #43 of 54 Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For some reason I think Shane will be biting the bullet this season...
post #44 of 54 Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Hmm...does the old thread warning mean all the book readers have given up on the series? Anyways, I had a wild notion this week watching and wanted some input from those who know the comic. Knowing there have been changes, the biggest probably being Shane still being alive, I just wondered...could he be evolving into the governor? From what I know of the character Shane seems to fit, and if thats the plan it would explain his still being alive...Possible?

They just hired someone to play the Governor in Season 3.

As to this season, last night's ep pretty much (IMHO) seals for me the relevation that what the Doctor told Rick was that everyone is infected (or, saying same thing, no matter how you die, you will turn into a zombie). They kept showing those two officers that weren't bit and they said "must have been scratched."

But then Rick looked at it again, puzzled. I think he was thinking about what the doctor told him. I am also hoping this will tie into Shane as when Shane gets killed, they need to put a bullet into his head to make sure he won't come back as a zombie.

I think they said only 3 more eps left this season, and we've been promised to find out what the doc said this season so I guess we'll know soon enough.
post #45 of 54 Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 10
I'm asking a stupid question I'm sure LOL but in the comic book is it true thar Rick and Andrea get together ? If so will that happen on the series so we can get rid of Lori ? I do not hate Lori as much as I did but still not crazy about her with Rick and think Rick deserves better and contrary to not liking how Andrea handled the Beth situation I still think her and Rick have much better chemistry !!
post #46 of 54 Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose123 View Post

I'm asking a stupid question I'm sure LOL but in the comic book is it true thar Rick and Andrea get together ? If so will that happen on the series so we can get rid of Lori ? I do not hate Lori as much as I did but still not crazy about her with Rick and think Rick deserves better and contrary to not liking how Andrea handled the Beth situation I still think her and Rick have much better chemistry !!

Right now in the book there is something between Rick and Andrea, but that does not mean it will happen it will happen in the TV show.

Given the pacing of the show vs. comic books, I don't think the TV show will ever get to the point where the comic book is currently at, so I don't think we'll get to Rick/Andrea.

Also, going back to the my central point of this thread, I think the producers/Kirkman are scared to kill off major characters in this show. Shane is a good example of this (Although he may die this season), but I think Lori won't ever die in the TV series either. Just my 2 cents.

The funny thing about Andrea and her love thing is that in the comics, she is with Dale. For a LONG time. In the TV show, they have created a big rift between Dale and Andrea and still have yet to close that. Seems like the TV show will definitely keep Glen/Maggie, but not Dale/Andrea.
post #47 of 54 Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

They just hired someone to play the Governor in Season 3.

Yeah, another Brit Actually, David Morressy is an interesting choice. Liked him a lot in State of Play and Doctor Who...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #48 of 54 Old 03-18-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After all the big changes this season between the book and TV show, the season finale was VERY refreshing in the sense that we got Michonne and saw the prison in the last shot.
post #49 of 54 Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yeah, I like her character.

Being on a farm, has anyone thought about taking combine harvester and reducing the walkers to mulch?

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #50 of 54 Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, going back to the my central point of this thread, I think the producers/Kirkman are scared to kill off major characters in this show. Shane is a good example of this (Although he may die this season), but I think Lori won't ever die in the TV series either. Just my 2 cents.

Still of this mindset, pappy?

From what I had gathered via interviews/articles/etc, the only character on the show that is safe from dying/turning/being eaten is Rick (unless Andrew Lincoln decides to bail - unlikely). I read an interview w/ Sarah Wayne Calles (Lori) where she stated that she knows it is not a matter of IF but rather of WHEN her character meets her final fate.

post #51 of 54 Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Still of this mindset, pappy?

From what I had gathered via interviews/articles/etc, the only character on the show that is safe from dying/turning/being eaten is Rick (unless Andrew Lincoln decides to bail - unlikely). I read an interview w/ Sarah Wayne Calles (Lori) where she stated that she knows it is not a matter of IF but rather of WHEN her character meets her final fate.

Well, those of us who have read the books know what Lori's final fate is, and if THAT ever makes it to the show...
post #52 of 54 Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
God I hope so, in the comics I felt bad when she died, but with the show I can't wait for her to die.
post #53 of 54 Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Agreed! The most annoying character on TV. I would have loved to see her jump out of the truck and turn. T Dog could have finished her off and kept on going to the coast.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #54 of 54 Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Agreed! The most annoying character on TV. I would have loved to see her jump out of the truck and turn. T Dog could have finished her off and kept on going to the coast.

...and then arrive at a zombie-filled amusement park after hiding out @ Bill Murray's house....wait, wrong zombie story.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page