"The Walking Dead" **SPOILERS ALLOWED (Thread for those who have read the books) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 11-12-2011, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Game of Thrones has a thread for those who read the books, so I figured "The Walking Dead" should have one too. If you are caught up on Walking Dead Graphic Novels, or at least to the point where the show is now (or somewhere in between), I'm sure there is plenty you want to discuss but really can't in the regular thread. So I'll get this started:

I realize the show has limitations and what not and may have differences from the way the book goes, but having said that, the fact that Shane meets Herschel and is still alive, to me, is beyond ridiculous. The show has taken too long to get to the pregnancy angle, but importantly, they are obviously too afraid to kill off a main character. This is especially bothersome because, in the Walking Dead in print, anyone can die at any time. This is a theme of the series. And sure enough, they do. In the show? Not so much, especially when it comes to the main characters we are getting invested in. That to me screams that the TV show is being more formulaic than the books.

In the show, it seems like the producers are too scared to kill off Shane. This is unlike, say, Game of Thrones, who killed off its main character, just as it happened in the book. Keeping Shane alive thus far reminded me of Heroes: Heroes was supposed to be a revolving cast of characters, but when the producers picked up on the fact that the viewers loved such characters as Hiro and Sylar, they didn't kill them off/ dump them. Rather than stick to your original storyline (in this case, a long running comic book series), Walking Dead seems to follow the usual TV pattern where main characters we are invested will never die.

Am I way off base in being critical of Shane still being alive in the Walking Dead? I didn't have a problem as much with the CDC storyline (Even though it is nowhere to be found in the graphic novels), especially because when they wrote that for the TV show, they didn't know if the show would last. The CDC angle was a way to close that arc out (so if it needed to be a series/mini-series, it kinda sorta works), and also leaves open future seasons.

Having Shane still alive, meeting Herschel, involved with Otis, etc, just feels like blasphemy.

Any other positive or negative critiques of the series from those who have either some or big time familiarity with the print series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Interesting. My friend has read the books.
Cool thread, I might mention this thread to him.
post #3 of 54 Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've read all the books & continue to read them monthly. I take each as it's own separate entity. I actually enjoy Shane's expanded character in the show. To me, for the second season, Jon Bernthal has done the best acting job so far in the cast. He's obviously a tortured soul, & his continued mental decline will lead to what I will predict will be the season ending shocker, Carl shooting him dead.
post #4 of 54 Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis View Post

I've read all the books & continue to read them monthly. I take each as it's own separate entity. I actually enjoy Shane's expanded character in the show. To me, for the second season, Jon Bernthal has done the best acting job so far in the cast. He's obviously a tortured soul, & his continued mental decline will lead to what I will predict will be the season ending shocker, Carl shooting him dead.

First off, I haven't read the comic, but I am curious about this thread. If I get spoiled, so be it. I agree about Shane. So far this season he has been the most interesting character, both in the way he's written as well as the outstanding acting .

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #5 of 54 Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am enjoying the portrayal of Shane too, it just seems like in the TV version they are getting too slow getting to the pregnancy.

In the TV show, take all this Sophia is missing stuff. I don't recall that from the books. (Just as I don't recall the guy handcuffed to the roof in the books either) If I am right that it isn't in the books, then the Sophia stuff on TV is just filler to keep going longer until we get to the pregnancy storyline.

I don't see why for the TV show they decided to add a bunch of filler (Sophia, Merle's brother) and not do the pregnancy angle before getting to Herschel. My take is, they are scared to kill off Shane.

Quote:

He's obviously a tortured soul, & his continued mental decline will lead to what I will predict will be the season ending shocker, Carl shooting him dead.

I hope you are right (would be really awesome too!), but I find it hard to believe. Like I said, in the books, one of the central themes is that anyone can die at any time. Regardless of the fact that the show is a different entity, you can't deny that you don't get that feeling from the TV show, and Shane still being alive is a good example of that.
post #6 of 54 Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone else think that the TV show doesn't follow the theme of the books that anyone can die at any time?

Any other positive or negative critiques of the series from those who have either some or big time familiarity with the print series? There are many, many differences that we can discuss here.
post #7 of 54 Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Anyone else think that the TV show doesn't follow the theme of the books that anyone can die at any time?

Any other positive or negative critiques of the series from those who have either some or big time familiarity with the print series? There are many, many differences that we can discuss here.

I have a feeling that the season will end with the death of Shane. Hopefully, as he has already outlived the comic book version. I have read the entire series up to now, and though it is different, they are using a lot of the plot points from the comic so far. I can't imagine if we'll see The Governor!
post #8 of 54 Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Without reading anything this is a TV forum, this thread should be moved to the offtopic forums or something, just my 2 cents.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #9 of 54 Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Without reading anything this is a TV forum, this thread should be moved to the offtopic forums or something, just my 2 cents.

We are discussing the show. It's no different than the two Game of Thrones threads, one for non-spoilers and one with spoilers were people who have read the books talk about the books and how it relates to the shows.

Did you object to second Game of Thrones thread that allowed spoilers and discussed the books and how they intersect with the TV show?
post #10 of 54 Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

I have a feeling that the season will end with the death of Shane. Hopefully, as he has already outlived the comic book version. I have read the entire series up to now, and though it is different, they are using a lot of the plot points from the comic so far. I can't imagine if we'll see The Governor!

Yeah but

Quote:

This last episode was a good example of how it seems like the show does not follow the theme of the books that anyone can die at any time. Daryl (who is not in the books) gets shot...but luckily the bullet just scrapes by him with minor injury. You might think, if anyone can die at any time, Daryl would have died...at the hands of Andrea. Now that would have been something, and consistent with the theme of The Walking Dead.

I'm just surprised no one else sees (or can even appreciate?) that the theme of the books is that anyone can die at any time, but that central theme is not apparent at all in the show.
post #11 of 54 Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
It has kind of lost the anyone can die at any moment edge of the books. I am ok with it just as long as long as at least one main character dies this season. I was hoping Shane and Andrea would go off on their own for a separate story line.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #12 of 54 Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 129
Maybe I'm giving the show runners too much credit, but I'm at least hoping we are being set up by nobody dying, After all, killing off a regular on a show isn't that rare anymore, so it doesn't have the shock value it once did. Plus, it sounds like those of you that have read the comic are expecting characters to die so it wouldn't be too much of a surprise. So maybe we are being lulled into a sense of false security so when deaths happen it will have more of an impact? On another subject, its interesting to me that Daryl wasn't part of the original story. How do those of you that have read the books feel about him? I have to admit his development has been my favorite part of the 2nd season. And according to the EW story about WD last year, The Governor is supposed to be showing up...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #13 of 54 Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I love Daryl and he is the last person I want to see go. In the show, Dale and Andrea are a helluva a lot more annoying than in the books. Andrea got a reprieve when she chewed Dale out. So, I guess I hope Dale goes first followed by Andrea then Lori.

I am not looking forward to the governor. Maybe the show can make it more believable.

post #14 of 54 Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Shane will be dead soon enough, they are just looking to build the tension with the preganacy angle. One of my favorite moments in the TPB was when Rick realized that even those that weren't killed by zombies will come back and he backtracks all the way to Shane's grave and kills him again, that really solidifies Rick as a charachter to me. It sucks because I don't think they can work that into the series.
post #15 of 54 Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM

Liked: 14
I think the show is just "Based On The Graphic Novel Series" not an exact adaptation. Just like the Transformers movies are "Based on the Hasbro Toy Line" and not the cartoon. Thus the producers can go into any direction they want with the characters. As far as the pregnancy angle goes....even though we are 12 episodes into the series it only is really like one week in real time. Try to watch them all straight through and it will seem shorter. We were yet to be told how long Rick was in the hospital for. It could only be a day or so...
post #16 of 54 Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

I really wish Hollywood would stop with this "Graphic Novel" business. Watchmen was not a graphic novel, neither is The Walking Dead. It is a comic book. If they are ashamed to say they are adapting a comic, then adapt something else!
post #17 of 54 Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 PM

its a marketing term...
post #18 of 54 Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I think they changed from the books simply based on fan reaction and fan favorites with each character.

post #19 of 54 Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

How do those of you that have read the books feel about him? I have to admit his development has been my favorite part of the 2nd season. And according to the EW story about WD last year, The Governor is supposed to be showing up...

I like the Daryl storyline. Like his character and how it is intertwined with the main story. To me, Daryl is a good example of how the TV show differs, but in a good way.

As to The Governor, I am hoping he shows up (And so does his town), but that it is done right and not toned down. Sadly, I think it will be severely toned down and we won't see the Governor in all of his glory.
post #20 of 54 Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

Shane will be dead soon enough, they are just looking to build the tension with the preganacy angle. One of my favorite moments in the TPB was when Rick realized that even those that weren't killed by zombies will come back and he backtracks all the way to Shane's grave and kills him again, that really solidifies Rick as a charachter to me. It sucks because I don't think they can work that into the series.

In the TV show, now that we have seen how shocked Rick was to learn that his wife is preggers, that means to me the doc at the CDC did not say his wife was preggers. Rather, I think doc at CDC told Rick that "Everyone is infected," and, thus, Rick knows that if someone like Shane dies (or anyone), not necessarily from Zombies, that they will come back as Zombies.

Just my thought. I did read somewhere that it WILL be confirmed on the show, this season, what was told to Rick by the doc at the CDC.
post #21 of 54 Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I am not looking forward to the governor. Maybe the show can make it more believable.

Why didn't you think he was believable? To me, the notion that in such a world, there is a community with a ruthless, evil, sadistic dictator seems very believable to me. The Governor, in print, reminds me of Gael Garcia Bernal's character in "Blindness," King of Ward 3. (I did not read the book, as the movie did nothing to get me interested in reading it).
post #22 of 54 Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In the TV show, now that we have seen how shocked Rick was to learn that his wife is preggers, that means to me the doc at the CDC did not say his wife was preggers. Rather, I think doc at CDC told Rick that "Everyone is infected," and, thus, Rick knows that if someone like Shane dies (or anyone), not necessarily from Zombies, that they will come back as Zombies.

Just my thought. I did read somewhere that it WILL be confirmed on the show, this season, what was told to Rick by the doc at the CDC.

I agree that that is what he was told. We'll see how it plays out. I'm getting annoyed by the people who want this to be a typical zombie flic, they need to realize that this show isn't about the zombies but about the people sho have to survive the horror of a zombie apocolypse.
post #23 of 54 Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree that that is what he was told. We'll see how it plays out. I'm getting annoyed by the people who want this to be a typical zombie flic, they need to realize that this show isn't about the zombies but about the people sho have to survive the horror of a zombie apocolypse.

Right. We will see that kind of zombie action occasionally but that's not the point of the show
post #24 of 54 Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:

I just posted that prediction on the non spoiler thread as well. It would completely explain why all of the cars in the traffic jam were empty except for that one old guy who was buckled in...
post #25 of 54 Old 11-24-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess we know where she's been all this time.

post #26 of 54 Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

kinda figured that
post #27 of 54 Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why didn't you think he was believable? To me, the notion that in such a world, there is a community with a ruthless, evil, sadistic dictator seems very believable to me. The Governor, in print, reminds me of Gael Garcia Bernal's character in "Blindness," King of Ward 3. (I did not read the book, as the movie did nothing to get me interested in reading it).

Well to start with, the fact that every person that isn't part of the original community is killed in the gladiator games. I just don't believe that you would have a large group of people that would go along with that. OF course it is a zombie apocalypse, so it may actually happen. Also, his character was way over the top to me.

I guess what really draws me into the show is the small ragtag group looking for Earth (wait wrong show). Seriously, I do like the small group interaction. When you expand the size to much then I like it less and I see the huge hole in the large group plot. That hole is the lack of ex-military or current military personnel. I had this argument in the Falling Skies thread, but the fact is there are probably going to be a lot more military trained people that survive something like this than civilians. To me, just keep it small and it is more believable.

I am still very curious what prison they are going to use as a location shoot.

I am not mad since this is a spoiler thread, but I didn't want to know the plot of the next episode. I thought this was more of book to show comparison/contrast thread with the spoilers coming from the book. Oh well.

post #28 of 54 Old 11-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I am not mad since this is a spoiler thread, but I didn't want to know the plot of the next episode. I thought this was more of book to show comparison/contrast thread with the spoilers coming from the book. Oh well.

So did I...
post #29 of 54 Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
So, is that the barn she is coming out of?

post #30 of 54 Old 11-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

whered you get that?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page