Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73
'House of Lies' Season One Trailer
Monday, November 14, 2011 by Blair M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Site View Post

Beginning in January, Oscar nominated actor, Don Cheadle will make the leap to TV in Showtime's new series, "House of Lies."

Based upon Martin Kihn's book, "House of Lies: How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time;" the Showtime incarnation casts Cheadle as Marty Kaan, a ruthless and highly successful consultant willing to do anything to get his clients the results that they want.

Former "Veronica Mars" and "Heroes" star, Kristen Bell plays Jeannie Van Der Hooven, an up-and-coming Ivy league educated young woman at Marty's firm, with Ben Schwartz ("Parks and Recreation") as Marty's best friend, Clyde Oberholt and Josh Lawson as their associate, Doug Guggenheim.

The newly released "House of Lies" trailer from Showtime happily explains that Marty and his friends are using their consulting firm to "stick it to the 1 percent," as Cheadle shows off Marty's powers of pursuassion and Bell shows off Jeannie's butt to her colleagues.

*** for the video trailer, please see the below link ***

http://www.craveonline.com/tv/previe...on-one-trailer

Please see the official website for "House of Lies" below.
http://www.sho.com/site/houseoflies/home.sho

You can watch House of Lies on Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10PM ET/PT, only on Showtime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 228 Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One more month to go!

Looking forward to this.
post #3 of 228 Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does Kristen Bell have a no nudity clause for this show?
Young C likes this.
post #4 of 228 Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

Does Kristen Bell have a no nudity clause for this show?

The answer to that question could mean the difference between "interesting" and "must see", couldn't it?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #5 of 228 Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

The answer to that question could mean the difference between "interesting" and "must see", couldn't it?

It will for me.

Too much good stuff premiering to bother with this one, I think, much as I like Kristen. Got to try the new serialized dramas 'Alcatraz', 'Luck', 'Touch', & 'The River', as well as 'Smash' 'cause I've had the hots for Kathryn McPheever since that one season of 'Idol' I watched. 'House of Lies' as too many words in the title.
post #6 of 228 Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
'They're the 1 percent Sticking It to the 1 Percent' is a nice hook to pull people in. Looks more like a comedy format with some typical Showtime T&A. We'll see

Might work if they 'Stick' something topical between the butt shots

Edit: OK, after watching the 1st ep, this is T&A in overload. After the first frame, you'll understand.
Cheadle breaks the 4th wall constantly, so it has 'That Style' which might feel
like those NFL commercials he did a few years ago.
This will be a love it or hate it series. Enjoy the booty
post #7 of 228 Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Too much good stuff premiering to bother with this one, I think, much as I like Kristen. Got to try the new serialized dramas 'Alcatraz', 'Luck', 'Touch',

The first episode of 'Touch' airs Jan 25, but the rest of the series doesn't start until March. So you've got some time to squeeze in some other shows.
post #8 of 228 Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TV Review
Showtime drama House of Lies,' starring Don Cheadle, is mildly disturbing but totally watchable
By David Hinckley, New York Daily News - Jan. 6, 2012

Like many of Showtime's most cherished series, House of Lies can be annoying and entertaining at the same time.

Don Cheadle stars as Marty Kaan, whose last name is not the most subtle thing about the show. Marty heads a slick management consulting firm that fully grasps the bottomless corruption in corporate America and gets rich by figuring how to skim off its own share.

As long as you don't get distracted by minor concerns like morality, ethics, fairness or human compassion, Marty figures, there's enough free-floating cash to go around.

In the pantheon of dark Showtime satires, this one is a little more disturbing than Weeds and a little less disturbing than Dexter, if that helps.

The show's strongest asset, out of the box, looks to be Cheadle, who plays the Marty role with the right mix of fire and ice.

To prospective clients, he comes off as a can-do guy, unshaken by pressure and always attentive to the bigger picture.

At the same time, he plays them the way they play their customers, with cynical flattery.

In the first episode, for instance, he and his team are pitching a mortgage company called Metro Capital that lured millions of people into mortgages they couldn't afford and now is the target of national wrath.

Marty's solution is every bit as sleazy as Metro itself, and of course he becomes their white knight.

It's not the most subtle satire on corporate greed, but coming by coincidence right after the Occupy protests, it is at the very least timely.

It also suggests, on a quasi-serious note, that the problem isn't just a few Gordon Gekkos at the top, but the army of wanna-bes they attract.

In Marty's case, his posse includes Clyde (Ben Schwartz), Doug (Josh Lawson) and Jeannie (Kristen Bell). Jeannie gets a few sympathy points because she has to keep fighting off Marty's unsubtle advances, but none of the three shows much concern for anyone outside their portfolio.

House of Lies is not, however, only about corporate scammers who collect bonuses and disappear into tax shelters.

Marty has a personal life that's as tangled as Metro Capital's books. His ex-wife Monica (Dawn Olivieri) is alternately one of his toughest professional rivals, the pill-popping mother of their son, Roscoe (Donis Leonard Jr.), and his partner in angry vengeance sex.

Roscoe also emerges as a key character, because he's the apple that has fallen directly from the tree. Before he's a teenager, he's already Marty, working the angles and looking out for number one. He demands, for instance, that Marty apply some muscle to the school principal because Roscoe can't play Sandy in the school production of Grease.

Kids. Here, as in Weeds, Dexter and Shameless, they are our most precious resource.

'HOUSE OF LIES'
Sunday at 10 p.m. on Showtime

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1001403
post #9 of 228 Old 01-07-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

It will for me.

I concur (setting up DVR while typing this post)....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #10 of 228 Old 01-07-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I concur (setting up DVR while typing this post)....

Whilst doing the same, I noticed this is only a 30 minute show! Considering the supposedly high T&A factor, that means I can probably find a way to shoehorn it in.
post #11 of 228 Old 01-07-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Yeah, Cheadle, Bell, going to have to give this one a look.
post #12 of 228 Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The show is already on Showtime HD on demand same as Californication.The show is pretty good in my opinion.
post #13 of 228 Old 01-08-2012, 01:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Whilst doing the same, I noticed this is only a 30 minute show! Considering the supposedly high T&A factor, that means I can probably find a way to shoehorn it in.

Of course we WILL...

post #14 of 228 Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting idea.

I'm in.
post #15 of 228 Old 01-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It was much better than I thought it would be. AND it has Megalyn Echikunwoke as stripper.
Young C likes this.
post #16 of 228 Old 01-09-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Watched the early premiere on On Demand and loved it. I thought that a lot of it was laugh out loud funny. Cheadle breaking through the fourth wall was great and I loved his use of the hand printed cards to explain his tactics in the board room meeting. The scene in the restaurant, after the two women hooked up in the rest room, was hilarious. The show had a real break neck pace and, hopefully, the writers can keep that up. Definitely on my must watch list.
Young C likes this.
post #17 of 228 Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I thought it was good, not great. I love Cheadle and Bell, so I was really expecting a lot from them. Greg Germann seemed to be nearly replaying his old Ally McBeal character, except as investment banker instead of lawyer. As for the pre-show reviews that so heavily and consistently mentioned "explicit" and pushing the boundaries, I just didn't see it. Maybe I've become jaded by other shows, but the early reviews all seemed to believe this was real edge-of-the-envelope stuff, especially the opening scene - and I just didn't see it as that. I thought the opening was funny, but no more "explicit" or edgy than much of what several other prominent cable shows have already done.
Young C likes this.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #18 of 228 Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

As for the pre-show reviews that so heavily and consistently mentioned "explicit" and pushing the boundaries, I just didn't see it. Maybe I've become jaded by other shows, but the early reviews all seemed to believe this was real edge-of-the-envelope stuff, especially the opening scene - and I just didn't see it as that. I thought the opening was funny, but no more "explicit" or edgy than much of what several other prominent cable shows have already done.

So we had a network marketing tease?
Well, nothing sells like T&A....

post #19 of 228 Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

I thought the opening was funny, but no more "explicit" or edgy than much of what several other prominent cable shows have already done.

You're probably right. Definitely funny when his first instinct is to I.D. her basket first
Young C likes this.
post #20 of 228 Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I thought it was good, not great. I love Cheadle and Bell, so I was really expecting a lot from them. Greg Germann seemed to be nearly replaying his old Ally McBeal character, except as investment banker instead of lawyer.

I'll stick with it, but it's probably not good that I thought Germann was the best character.
Young C likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 228 Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I was a little underwhelmed with this, but I'll keep with it and see if they start to "settle in" and get somewhat better. There was a good bit of just reciting lines at each other. The premise is ok, but it will be interesting to see how they can do it week after week. And there wasn't enough quality T&A (yet) to make me ignore its shortcomings.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #22 of 228 Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I was a little underwhelmed with this, but I'll keep with it and see if they start to "settle in" and get somewhat better. There was a good bit of just reciting lines at each other. The premise is ok, but it will be interesting to see how they can do it week after week. And there wasn't enough quality T&A (yet) to make me ignore its shortcomings.

larry

+1

Other than a great opening scene, it was all meh.

I am just not interested in the characters at all.

Also, the talking to the camera shtick was a big turn-off.

This series is trying WAY too hard to be edgy and topical.
Unfortunately, it comes across as a slick gimmick to bring in viewers.

I'm bailing.

post #23 of 228 Old 01-12-2012, 01:46 AM
sa

Liked: 20
There was a funny little Boogie Nights reference. Cheadle's phone used a song from the film as his ringtone.
Young C likes this.
post #24 of 228 Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

There was a funny little Boogie Nights reference. Cheadle's phone used a song from the film as his ringtone.

I missed that! Boogie Nights is one of my all time favorites.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #25 of 228 Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I thought the pilot had promise. There was a biting slightly mean humor that while not laugh out loud funny was entertaining.
post #26 of 228 Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I love this show. Did it already start airing? I saw the 1st episode online.
post #27 of 228 Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I just watched to see Kristen "Bells" ... I guess she won't show them right? well we have other beautiful women showing it all.. Marty's ex, the stripper, etc..

I don't know if the stipper was a one episode star or she's a regular but I want to see a bit more.. LOL.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #28 of 228 Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Count me in as one not impressed. Even the occasional T&A probably isn't going to keep me on board unless it picks up in all other phases. I bagged 'Californication' after the first season because I found I hated all the characters and that one has some really great T&A (Eva Amurri - yum!), so I know I can do it.
post #29 of 228 Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My friend told me about this show. I had no clue what to expect other than seeing Cheadle's arse which isn't a good selling point imo... I was pleasantly entertained. It's my kind of humor and it's a show that's right up my friend's alley.
Young C likes this.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #30 of 228 Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I watched number 2 last night. Immediately following I canceled my timer. While the show has it's moments, for me, I am less than enthused about the whole premise and especially the fourth wall....

Bobby 

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page