'Survivor: One World' Season 24 on CBS HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1025 Old 01-23-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
After skimming over the player pics and what not .. for some odd reason "Big Brother Survivor" popped into my head ,,

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1025 Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

After skimming over the player pics and what not .. for some odd reason "Big Brother Survivor" popped into my head ,,

I don't watch BB but I guess your referring to the dbags and mactors that this cast seems to be comprised of. Lots of people that think they have social skills and charisma. Thats the impression I got from watching the intro videos. OTOH lots eye candy.
post #33 of 1025 Old 01-27-2012, 11:32 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbology View Post

I don't watch BB but I guess your referring to the dbags and mactors that this cast seems to be comprised of. Lots of people that think they have social skills and charisma. Thats the impression I got from watching the intro videos. OTOH lots eye candy.

So, from little sub-two minute intro videos you've already determined that they're dbags then?

ron
post #34 of 1025 Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Watched a One World preview that was on the TV Guide channel (didn't even know they actually put stuff on there except for ads...) last night, and Probst explained that there would be two idols hidden with one being for each tribe. He said that there would be no clues given at all, since people now are finding them on their own. He also clarified that if a player finds their team's idol they can keep it or do anything else with it that they want, but if they find the other team's idol they have to give it to a member of that team before the next tribal council. It was an hour long show that was a mix of cast interviews and Jeff's thoughts on them, and random pieces like how props are made. They explained how the show will start this season and showed some clips from the beginning of that. looks like it's being repeated (on comcast at least - as "Survivor: One World Preview") tonight and a few other times before the opener. The PQ of course was terrible... .

ron
post #35 of 1025 Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 AM

Liked: 10
Wow, this is the season of the hot babes!
post #36 of 1025 Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The numerous Pharma Reps on this show has convinced me that "Pharma Reps" is actually a cover story for a really high-end call girl ring that specializes in servicing physicians.

Drugs and sex with just one call, what a deal.
post #37 of 1025 Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Maybe they can work Russell's brother into the story somewhere along the line and let him show his rage at his son's blowing it.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #38 of 1025 Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

So, from little sub-two minute intro videos you've already determined that they're dbags then?

ron

Yes that is my snap judgment of at least 4 or 5 of the male contestants. On further review after the TVG preview the ruling on the field stands. I am optimistic that this season will be entertaining since it is Hantz free and no R.I. We will see how it plays out. What are your impressions of the cast?
post #39 of 1025 Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Maybe they can work Russell's brother into the story somewhere along the line and let him show his rage at his son's blowing it.

Don't give them any ideas ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #40 of 1025 Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes that is my snap judgment of at least 4 or 5 of the male contestants. On further review after the TVG preview the ruling on the field stands. I am optimistic that this season will be entertaining since it is Hantz free and no R.I. We will see how it plays out. What are your impressions of the cast?

Hot women in skimpy bathing suits / no Hantz in sight / RI gone ..

What's not to like .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #41 of 1025 Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pretty hard to say just from the little clips. When watching them it always seems the players think it will be easier than what it turns out to be like. Many of them are full of bravado and cocky until they actually get out there and the reality hits them. Just from the tapes though there was one guy who seems like he may come off a bit d-baggy . And the gay guy sounds like he has the potential to be pretty abrasive with a high annoyance factor, (since he pretty much said so himself in one of the clips). On the womens side nothing really stood out except that a number of them seem like they just might be pretty tough. I think the guys better not be thinking it's just going to be a calk walk.

ron
post #42 of 1025 Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I think the guys better not be thinking it's just going to be a cake walk.

Both of the previous the boys vs. girls seasons have started out with challenges that men suck at, mainly balancing and endurance. Since challenges have gotten less physical over the years, we can expect a lot of memorization and coconut throwing challenges that the guys will have no advantage at.

Watching the challenges in the early seasons is almost scary. So much swimming. So much climbing. So many possibilities of serious injury.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #43 of 1025 Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yet so much more interesting .. lawsuit / medical treatment cost avoidance .. oh, well ..

Uncle Willie

post #44 of 1025 Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Both of the previous the boys vs. girls seasons have started out with challenges that men suck at, mainly balancing and endurance. Since challenges have gotten less physical over the years, we can expect a lot of memorization and coconut throwing challenges that the guys will have no advantage at.

Watching the challenges in the early seasons is almost scary. So much swimming. So much climbing. So many possibilities of serious injury.

I've always been surprised there haven't been more contestants getting injured even outside the challenges. Everytime I watch someone hacking away at a round coconut with a machete I half expect to see finger stubs go flying

Found this extended (high quality, ad free) video segment preview of the tribes grabbing the supplies from the truck at the beginning of the show.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/14/su...peak-premiere/

ron
post #45 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Bwe can expect a lot of memorization and coconut throwing challenges that the guys will have no advantage at.

Don't forget puzzles! Seems like 80% o fthe challenges are some type of race to get puzzle pieces, followed by assembling the puzzle. I assume they do this so we don't haev on eperson (Colby/Tom/Ozzy) who physically dominates all the challenges. But I, for one, don't care if one person dominates the challenges. I think that's pretty fun and the name of the show is Survivor after all.
post #46 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yet so much more interesting .. lawsuit / medical treatment cost avoidance .. oh, well ..

Palau had the scariest challenges. Every time I saw a challenge involving someone diving down twenty feet to untie something, I always expected a corpse to float back up. Even scarier, Koror's boat capsized sending their reward into the drink then they spent lots of time diving to the bottom over and over looking for it. The season had some strong swimmers like Stephenie and Ian, but what was Ibrehem doing there when he admitted he had never learned how to swim?

post #47 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
i remember a challenge on survivor outback(pretty sure it was outback) where they had to jump off of a cliff into the water some 30-40 feet below. there was an older man who was terrified because he couldn't swim. i remember being pretty worried for him but he made the jump.

i found the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YaqO...f=results_main

watching that reminds of the crush i had on amber..........
post #48 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In "Outback" .. a guy passed out over the campfire and severely charred his hands and was airlifted out .. no challenge involved ...

In "Micronesia" .. the challenge was a free for all tag game that left a guy with an infected hole in his knee that caused him to leave the game ..

My point .. ?? It does not take a challenge to cause injury, nor does it take a dangerous challenge to sustain an injury ..

Uncle Willie

post #49 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice find, grubadub. That was a pretty fun-looking challenge.

I also like the old school "Okagor leading" instead of todays challenges where they shoot them from such an angle that you can only see one team and they can make it look close regardless of how far apart the teams actually are.
post #50 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Yay, MY show is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #51 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 170
TV Notes
For 'Survivor,' surviving and then some
CBS reality series opens its 24th season
By Louisa Ada Seltzer, Media Life Magazine - Feb. 15, 2012

"Survivor" has proven an apt name for CBS's long-running reality series.

Tonight at 8 p.m. the show begins its mind-boggling 24th season
, which takes place in Samoa. The twist is that the 18 castaways will be divided into male and female tribes, turning this season into a battle of the sexes.

Past gimmicks have included dividing the teams by race and by age, but no matter what the twist, "Survivor" remains surprisingly reliable in the ratings.

Last fall's "Survivor: South Pacific" averaged a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen, up slightly from last spring's "Survivor: Redemption Island," which averaged a 3.1.

For a show to see improvement this far into its run is rare, and it speaks to the deep passion "Survivor" viewers have for the show.

Though CBS has introduced a lot of twists over the years, whether the show rises or falls depends mainly on the appeal of the cast, and this year's group includes the wife of a former NFL player, a stand-up comedian and a photographer who has adopted 12 monkeys.

"Survivor" also has its first little person in the cast, 27-year-old Leif Manson, a phlebotomist from San Diego, Calif., who suffers from dwarfism.

What it does not have this year, in contrast to most recent seasons, is a contestant returning from a previous season. That may help with ratings, as some fans had expressed frustration when losers from previous seasons were allowed to return in what sometimes seemed an endless loop to try once again to win.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...-then-some.asp

post #52 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

i remember a challenge on survivor outback(pretty sure it was outback) where they had to jump off of a cliff into the water some 30-40 feet below. there was an older man who was terrified because he couldn't swim. i remember being pretty worried for him but he made the jump.

i found the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YaqO...f=results_main

watching that reminds of the crush i had on amber..........

Looking at the rock cliffs and the river just makes me think how much of a shame it is that it took them so long to go HD.

ron
post #53 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:

I always figured they were trying to level the playing field to give the women a better chance at challenges so we get plate balancing and water spitting. CBS has also gotten cheap and done back to back locations where the surf conditions don't allow swimming challenges. Looking forward to this edition it looks like it has promise.
post #54 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

He could swim a little but was scared of heights. I loved his logic: if the jump doesn't kill anyone before him, had no excuse not jump! How could you not feel happy for him after facing his lifelong fear of heights on national television?

Nowadays we have a nerd who's scared to take his shirt off in front of other people. Not quite the same.

Quote:

Looking at the rock cliffs and the river just makes me think how much of a shame it is that it took them so long to go HD.

The first season and Outback season look like they were recorded on composite video. There is color moire, shaky frame edges and other analog artifacts along with the shadows fading into a murky red-brown color. Later SD seasons (Africa through All-Stars) used much better equipment. Vanuatu suddenly looked nearly digital perfect. It was full of deep saturated greens and blues and blazing yellows and reds that never looked right in previous seasons.

post #55 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just once I would like them to do a survivor in Siberia or Antartica. The last one who can survive the cold in a swim suit wins.
post #56 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I'd like them to do a Survivor in which they fight to the death. Survivor: The Hunger Games.

Wow, almost forgot to double check my DVR for this tonight. Close call.
post #57 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Survivor Las Vegas, no one comes out alive.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #58 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

How much does a wrist surgery cost?
post #59 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 PM

I thought that was a pretty lackluster first episode. I don't see anyone I like though I already dislike Alicia, Matt, Colton and Sabrina. So far I see few interesting characters compared to the first episode of last season with Cochran, Brandon, Papa Bear and returning players Coach and Ozzy.
post #60 of 1025 Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The moral of this episode was: Follow Jeff's instructions or you're going to get hurt.

He probably should have just stopped it when the first one jumped and didn't land on their back w/ arms across chest.

Also instead of letting the guys bail out, should have let them drop one guy to even it up and continue the challenge.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page