post #91 of 1025 Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Yes.. that's it Rupert. I couldn't recall his name. Broke his toe, but stayed anyway.

Yes, thank you, R11. I knew someone broke something in the past. Of course Rupert's little toe was nothing like a broken wrist.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1025 Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

And Stephanie dislocated her shoulder during the first competition in Heroes vs. Villains ...

But she popped right back in and it was fine. She said it happened all the time. That woman was superhuman.

post #93 of 1025 Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Summary of injuries. Probably incomplete tho.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #94 of 1025 Old 02-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chelsea and Kim. Oh me oh my, this is a season worth watching.

Hopefully Colton makes an early exit.
post #95 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
I personally have no problem that the men decided not to finish the challenge. Like others said, men are not good at balance and the women most likely would have caught up or even surpassed them at that point.

All I was saying is instead of Probst giving a half assed reason of needing 9 players from each side to finish he could have easily just said decide who from the team who hasn't crossed the beam yet will drop out and then continue.
post #96 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 609
If presented with the option to take the win or play out the challenge, it's take the win every time .. unfortunate there was an injury, however, if a contestant does not follow the instructions on jumping into the net ..

It's a game for a million $ ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #97 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

All I was saying is instead of Probst giving a half assed reason of needing 9 players from each side to finish he could have easily just said decide who from the team who hasn't crossed the beam yet will drop out and then continue.

I really wonder why they didn't just do that.

Is that Jeff's call on the spot or does he actually huddle up with some other producers to make the decision?
post #98 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

Is that Jeff's call on the spot or does he actually huddle up with some other producers to make the decision?

In multiple interviews, Probst has said that he alone makes the final decisions during any challenges, because the producers trust his judgment.

post #99 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

I really wonder why they didn't just do that.

But why would he do that? To give the women a second chance for some reason? As Jeff instructed before they began, the goal of that challenge was for all members of the teams to use their skills to negotiate the course and the first team to have everyone finish it before the members of the other team was the winner. If someone got themselves hurt attempting to negotiate the course that's just part of the challenge.

ron
post #100 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

... If someone got themselves hurt attempting to negotiate the course that's just part of the challenge.

ron

Yep. Not being able to finish due to injury is the same as not being able to finish because you are are too old and out of shape. You still caused your team to lose the challenge.

If Probst really wanted the challenge to continue, he should have offered a serious carrot for the men's team. For example, he could have made an offer that if both teams agreed, an extra immunity idol would be hidden for the men's team and the team challenge would continue with one less man. That might have been enough to get the men to continue.
post #101 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

If Probst really wanted the challenge to continue, he should have offered a serious carrot for the men's team.

Yes, and I think he was at a total loss as to what carrot he could pull out of his butt that would entice the men enough to fall off of the balance beam like drunk frat boys while the women laughed at them. Probst's question, which was really, "Do you want to win this challenge immediately, or possibly suffer a humiliating loss?" was one of the funniest things I've ever heard on the show.

The last time on-the-spot rule decisions were brought up with Probst was just last season when Sophie ordered Albert to help her with the card house building challenge. Probst said he alone made that decision on the spot, perhaps in his Twitter that I don't read.

post #102 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
When I first saw that 25 foot jump into the net obstacle, I had a bad feeling about it. Circus performers get a lot of individual coaching instruction and practice on how to fall into a net correctly. It is a very unnatural act to fall in a flat horizontal manner like that and stay relaxed. To expect a middle aged non-athlete to do it correctly on the first attempt, in a stressful competitive environment, is unrealistic.

I really expected more leg injuries, as we saw several people land too far on their feet. Thankfully their wasn't a neck injury from landing too far towards the head.
post #103 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

In multiple interviews, Probst has said that he alone makes the final decisions during any challenges, because the producers trust his judgment.

When he stopped everyone and she had to go to medical he clearly said, According to the rules..... so it seemed obvious a scenerio like this was already thought of and the rules set in advanced. He didn't make a snap decision and decide this, he was quoting the rules.

post #104 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 12:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

When he stopped everyone and she had to go to medical he clearly said, According to the rules..... so it seemed obvious a scenerio like this was already thought of and the rules set in advanced. He didn't make a snap decision and decide this, he was quoting the rules.

There's probably a lot of legal language that governs the competition part of the show (i.e. the challenges). To scowl's point, I didn't know that about Probst having the final call. I would figure that would involve the show's producers, at least 1 of whom I would have to assume is on site for each challenge.

My guess is that Probst probably realized Kourtney was a goner, so instead of leaving open the option that 2 people might leave after day 3 and thus screwing up the schedule of the game, this way even if Kourtney is okay, you know the girls will just vote her off anyway.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
post #105 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

When I first saw that 25 foot jump into the net obstacle, I had a bad feeling about it. Circus performers get a lot of individual coaching instruction and practice on how to fall into a net correctly. It is a very unnatural act to fall in a flat horizontal manner like that and stay relaxed. To expect a middle aged non-athlete to do it correctly on the first attempt, in a stressful competitive environment, is unrealistic.

I really expected more leg injuries, as we saw several people land too far on their feet. Thankfully their wasn't a neck injury from landing too far towards the head.

I think the platform (or maybe the railing around it ) was 25', and the landing net was maybe halfway down from that. Then they had a couple steps you could go down to make it even shorter. But I agree it did look like had potential for problems. The thing I kept thinking was that someone might bounce up and land on one of the log frames. If you bounced onto one of the frames with your head it probably wouldn't be good...

ron
post #106 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Apparently the poor girl just found out that she had a grapefruit sized tumor and had it removed as well .

Quote:

Reality News Online: I understand that you are currently having some medical problems that are bigger than your wrist. Do you want to talk about that?

Kourtney: I had emergency surgery this week - they found a tumor in my abdomen and had to remove a few things. It was a pretty traumatic experience. My dad's in Afghanistan and my mom doesn't live in Austin. I was in the hospital pretty much alone. And I'm deathly afraid of having my blood drawn.

I went through all these tests and I had these sneaking suspicions something wasn't right and sure enough they found a grapefruit-sized tumor on my ovary. I was hoping it wasn't terminal or something crazy like that, but it was not benign [meaning it was cancerous]. I'm waiting back on some test results but my surgeon is really optimistic.

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi...329.art&page=1

ron
post #107 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Apparently the poor girl just found out that she had a grapefruit sized tumor and had it removed as well .

ron

Bad news, certainly .. she did seem like a nice person in the short time she was on ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #108 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I think the platform (or maybe the railing around it ) was 25', and the landing net was maybe halfway down from that.

Yeah, I just went with the number they stated, but they probably exaggerated to make it seem more "extreme". Certainly some of the people who landed on their feet didn't fall 4 times their body length before hitting the net.
post #109 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Liked: 15
I'm liking the season so far. The two tribes freaked out,scrambled and created tension right off the bat.
Colton seems to be playing OTT to get camera time and he succeeded. He may also be trying to position himself to get into different alliances should the opportunity arise( tribal swap pre merge ) but I can't imagine this guy winning the big prize. My wife and I had to re watch the challenge because he was swishing as he jumped off. Hilarious.
It will interesting to see if some of the folks who were open to compromise like Jonas and Christina can last till the merge considering the overall animosity between the tribes.
post #110 of 1025 Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Bad news, certainly .. she did seem like a nice person in the short time she was on ..

Could have been fate was on her side. If it turns out to be cancerous, not finding it 'til after the game's over or later would reduce her survival chances.

I agree that she seemed really nice, not superficial like some on this show seem to be.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #111 of 1025 Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

ron

Yikes! That bio entry just keeps getting more prophetic and ironic.

For those who missed it the first time, here's part of Kourtney's bio:

Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: I NEED the money and want the experience. Traveling, meeting new people, opening new doors, getting the hell out of the Austin bubble for a little while I severely need a drastic change in my life, preferably one that won't kill me. I think I'm going to walk away from this permanently changedbut for the better.

post #112 of 1025 Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Yikes! That bio entry just keeps getting more prophetic and ironic.

For those who missed it the first time, here's part of Kourtney's bio:

Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: I NEED the money and want the experience. Traveling, meeting new people, opening new doors, getting the hell out of the Austin bubble for a little while I severely need a drastic change in my life, preferably one that won't kill me. I think I'm going to walk away from this permanently changedbut for the better.

post #113 of 1025 Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Probst wanted it to seem like he was quoting from a rule book so he wouldn't have a bunch of adrenalin-fueled beefcakes arguing like infants with him over his snap decision.

Just like Probst didn't tell Sophie that it had been his decision during the challenge that Albert couldn't help her, even though he confirmed that's exactly what happened after the episode aired.

post #114 of 1025 Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Probst wanted it to seem like he was quoting from a rule book so he wouldn't have a bunch of adrenalin-fueled beefcakes arguing like infants with him over his snap decision.

Just like Probst didn't tell Sophie that it had been his decision during the challenge that Albert couldn't help her, even though he confirmed that's exactly what happened after the episode aired.

I think it was much more simple than that. Jeff was just talking about the specific instructions for that particular challenge that he gave to the teams just prior to the start, which ended with "Once you get all your members to the mat you can raise your flag. The first team to raise their flag wins immunity." Since Kourtney wasn't able to make it to the mat her team couldn't finish the challenge. No interpretation necessary. In his explanation he said, "Technically this challenge requires nine people to start, and nine people to finish, so by the rules this challenge is over.", before he made the executive decision to offer the men the option to give the women a do over as a good will gesture.

ron
post #115 of 1025 Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 367
The intriguing thing about this kind of format is it accelerates some of the late game strategies. You have to worry about flippers right now instead of the 5th or 6th tribal council. Do you really need to keep your strongest players if you can get a good team that spans both tribes early?
post #116 of 1025 Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Monica must be doing a lot with her life right now. When they show someones name, they show what they are doing for a job, schooling etc. With her its just, Ex NFL wife.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #117 of 1025 Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Kat is all Gass and no Class . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #118 of 1025 Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Although I'd like to think otherwise, the odds of anyone over 45 making it past the first few tribals is pretty slim .. last night, for all the bru ha ha, I pretty much knew who would be going ..

These days, Rudy would not have made it too far ..

Uncle Willie

post #119 of 1025 Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's not so much age as it is social game and fitting in. Although being older in a cast of predominantly young folks definitely increases the chances that you would be on the social outs.

BTW, is Victoria's Secrets a sponsor this season? They seem to have gone away form bikinis for a lot of the girls' team.

The confessionals about Colton were interesting, describing his as notw being untouchable since he has an idol. I miss the days of the idol making you a target with split votes and intentionally flushing the idol.
post #120 of 1025 Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

It's not so much age as it is social game and fitting in. Although being older in a cast of predominantly young folks definitely increases the chances that you would be on the social outs.

It seems to me that being older in and of itself is the kiss of death in many cases ..

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page