'Survivor: One World' Season 24 on CBS HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Colton didn't play the idol. Until Jeff asks if anyone has an idol and wants to play it, before the votes are read, I guess you can say whatever you want. In theory, I suppose someone could lie and say they had the idol even if they didn't.

I hope the guys split the votes at their next tribal and either make Colton play it or go home holding it in his pocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

You must have blinked, since Jeff definitely did ask if anybody wanted to play one before reading the votes, and Colton wisely passed on playing it.

ron

Huh? I don't recall being distracted during that part. But I guess I must have been.
post #183 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

I really wish that the guys would quit giving in to the woman everytime they come over begging for stuff.
As soon as the woman wavered on letting the men use the boat the men should have sent them on their way.
Come back when you speak to the others and have something to trade....

now that the women have won a reward challenge and an immunity challenge, i think the men will be much less inclined to give in to the begging.

it was pretty fascinating to see the men just sit back and do nothing while bill was trying to solve the tree puzzle while sabrina was getting all kinds of help solving her puzzle. i'm guessing the men thought they couldn't lose because they had such a big lead. or maybe none of the men were any good at puzzles.
post #184 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

it was pretty fascinating to see the men just sit back and do nothing while bill was trying to solve the tree puzzle while sabrina was getting all kinds of help solving her puzzle. i'm guessing the men thought they couldn't lose because they had such a big lead. or maybe none of the men were any good at puzzles.

the challenges were they can spy on the others answers are the worst-designed IMO. I know it is done intentionally probably to make things close and create drama but you could see in the background of Sabrina, the women (Monica, etc) just looking at Bill's tree and telling Sabrina where to put each piece based on that!

Also, these challenges are feeling a tad manufactured to level the playing field, but I guess they've done that to a degree the last few seasons. By that I mean, it doesn't really matter what you do in the first half of the challenge, it all comes down to a puzzle (the great equalizer) and then they compound it by making only one person can work on it. And Bill was the choice for that?

I liked how the memory puzzle went down, it was great. Troyzan's pulling the curtain after 1 second was hilarious as was Jeff's reaction, "What!?!" Then he and Kat really struggled, even though they had bumped it up to 8 items.

I was worried they were going to introduce a subjective challenge for the women like have this third-party native type decide which tribe builds a better bathroom area. Fortunately, they haven't had to resort to that nonsense but the challenges are doctored to a degree as they are.
post #185 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

Also, these challenges are feeling a tad manufactured to level the playing field, but I guess they've done that to a degree the last few seasons. By that I mean, it doesn't really matter what you do in the first half of the challenge, it all comes down to a puzzle (the great equalizer) and then they compound it by making only one person can work on it. And Bill was the choice for that?

I was thinking the same thing. Let's see, who do we want to solve a puzzle? Do we choose the surgeon, the attorney, or the stand-up comedian?

I will say that Bill was very good at directing the guys through the course. And why weren't the other guys helping him with the puzzle?
post #186 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Let's see, who do we want to solve a puzzle? Do we choose the surgeon, the attorney, or the stand-up comedian?

I will say that Bill was very good at directing the guys through the course. And why weren't the other guys helping him with the puzzle?

that's what i was wondering. overconfident? or maybe they didn't realize they could help. anyway you slice it, they blew it. i thought they would have the puzzle solved before the women even started on theirs.
post #187 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 PM

Liked: 11
Colton referring to Bill as "ghetto trash" was not only racist but strange with the context. Using that as a weapon, you'd think Bill really got to Colton; but Colton is so unhinged, so ignorant, that extreme -- let alone racist -- talk is his sort of thing. But for all we know, Colton's big fantasy may be to have not just one "ghetto trash Bill" but two "ghetto trash Bills." And if he becomes a little smarter with life, perhaps Colton might one day turn that fantasy into reality.
post #188 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Well, Jeff does give them "a moment to strategize." That doesn't mean they come up with the best strategy.
post #189 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Sounds like you ripped that line off from Colton . . .

What would Colton know about men?

This must have been the funniest episode of Survivor I've ever seen. So many silly moments. The Bill/Kat space cadet challenge (apparently Bill thought he could just lose and they'd move to the next person). Matt's "join the roosters" speech and poor mathematical skills. Colton constantly grooming his cuticles. Bill apparently scoring weed off of someone in the crew before the TC. Tarzan raising his "teacher?" hand to ask Probst what the other two votes were. Matt clasping Jonas' shoulder before the vote and Jonas looking at it like he had been touched by a leper.

But Troyzan said a classic! "It's not Survivor if you're not lying!" I like that guy.

Now that the male misfits have a solid 5-3 majority, will they realize they can blindside Colton? Was Colton's reference to James a foreshadow of what's to come? Of course not. Nowadays Survivor contestants don't do anything but hastily organize an alliance on the first day based on race, age, body shape, and accent then stick with that alliance no matter what until five minutes before they get voted off. Probst even called this a "blindside" because he hasn't seen a real one in years.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #190 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... it all comes down to a puzzle (the great equalizer) and then they compound it by making only one person can work on it. ....

Well, like a couple of us mentioned a while ago, they needed to come up with a competition that depended entirely on Sabrina. If you let any of the other women in on it they might mess it up.

Oh and once again reward challenge didn't do anything to put pressure on alliances. Sigh...

I guess the producers are perfectly happy with letting 5 people gang up two minutes into the show and not putting any pressure on them to mix it up.
post #191 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

the challenges were they can spy on the others answers are the worst-designed IMO. I know it is done intentionally probably to make things close and create drama but you could see in the background of Sabrina, the women (Monica, etc) just looking at Bill's tree and telling Sabrina where to put each piece based on that!

During the memorization challenge, didn't a guy set up his objects, run to his mat, saw what the woman was doing, then got off his mat to rearrange two objects and jump back to his mat? I really didn't get the "rules" of that challenge. Probst probably made them up as it went along.

post #192 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

During the memorization challenge, didn't a guy set up his objects, run to his mat, saw what the woman was doing, then got off his mat to rearrange two objects and jump back to his mat? I really didn't get the "rules" of that challenge. Probst probably made them up as it went along.

Hmmm, IIRC, she beat him to back to the mat so it didn't matter.

But it does raise the following issue:

Could the men have just taken a step back to see the women's table, copied it, beat them in the footrace to the mat and have won the challenge?

It seems like the rules allowed that.
post #193 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What would Colton know about men?

This must have been the funniest episode of Survivor I've ever seen. So many silly moments. The Bill/Kat space cadet challenge (apparently Bill thought he could just lose and they'd move to the next person). Matt's "join the roosters" speech and poor mathematical skills. Colton constantly grooming his cuticles. Bill apparently scoring weed off of someone in the crew before the TC. Tarzan raising his "teacher?" hand to ask Probst what the other two votes were. Matt clasping Jonas' shoulder before the vote and Jonas looking at it like he had been touched by a leper.

But Troyzan said a classic! "It's not Survivor if you're not lying!" I like that guy.

Now that the male misfits have a solid 5-3 majority, will they realize they can blindside Colton? Was Colton's reference to James a foreshadow of what's to come? Of course not. Nowadays Survivor contestants don't do anything but hastily organize an alliance on the first day based on race, age, body shape, and accent then stick with that alliance no matter what until five minutes before they get voted off. Probst even called this a "blindside" because he hasn't seen a real one in years.

yeah that look jonas gave matt was priceless. i'm glad the cameras caught that.

as for the misfits blindsiding colton - i would think they would wait at least one more tribal to make sure their numbers are solid and get colton more comfortable. but with tarzan, who knows? i don't think he knows what the word discretion means.
post #194 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Probst even called this a "blindside" because he hasn't seen a real one in years.

Yep, say what you will about Russell (i know you were not a fan) but his seasons were amazing. He was the master at blind-siding and admittedly had to do it quite a bit b/c his reckless nature made him a target. But wow, were the tribal councils and the time leading up to it so much fun.

It was often unpredicatable - you never knew who was safe each week, including Russell.

Generally, the art of Survivor hasn't changed all that much from the beginning. Remember the Rudy/Richard/Sue/Kelly alliance stuck together from the beginning despite not really liking each other. It was nice when we had a few seasons when bedlam happened (Russell's first two).
post #195 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Oh and once again reward challenge didn't do anything to put pressure on alliances. Sigh...

I guess the producers are perfectly happy with letting 5 people gang up two minutes into the show and not putting any pressure on them to mix it up.

Good point, they seem to do this in individual awards to help break up alliance, like choose 2 others to go with you. Or break tiles of other tribe memebers.

It would be harder to do in team competitions, what exactly could they do? I'm not sure
post #196 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

Well, like a couple of us mentioned a while ago, they needed to come up with a competition that depended entirely on Sabrina. If you let any of the other women in on it they might mess it up.

Quote:

Good point, they seem to do this in individual awards to help break up alliance, like choose 2 others to go with you. Or break tiles of other tribe memebers.

It would be harder to do in team competitions, what exactly could they do? I'm not sure

From where I was sitting I was thinking it was Sabrina that was going to lose the challenge for the women due to her less than great direction of the blindfoldees. And she did get help from all the others in the puzzle as well. As far as the producers breaking up alliances goes, I think djb is probably right, in that until things get whittled down and into the individual stage, there isn't much they can really do. They are definitely concerned about the start to finish alliances though as evidenced by Jeff's reply to one of the EW questions after the second episode:

Quote:

We’ve seen, like on last season, how important making a day one alliance can be. Yet as Chelsea and Sabrina openly admitted last night, it also locks you into an alliance of people that may not be the best to further you and your tribe in the game. What’s your take? Let’s say you were in their shoes: Would you have stayed true to the alliance and kept Kat, or switched course and broken up the alliance?

It’s a really tough choice because if you switch someone out you risk losing your power in the game because the others might seize the opportunity, and if you stay with a wild card like Alicia in your alliance you risk her blowing it with her big mouth. In this case I think the women are probably taking it day by day and assessing the damage. Our big job in upcoming seasons is to make it more difficult to get a strong alliance of five right off the bat and keep it.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/23/je...vor-one-world/

ron
post #197 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Another answer from Jeff in today's EW Q&A about how they do things in the challenges regarding cheating off the other tribe/contestant, (or helping someone else out) brought up earlier:

Quote:

In the immunity challenge, the women were way behind when they got to the tree puzzle, but then had the advantage even with the teams using different colors of being able to copy off what Bill had already completed. We could clearly see Christina and the other women staring and even at one point moving over to get a better look at what he had already finished. Is there ever any discussion on challenges like this to have a partition of some sort set up between the two tribes, or is this just part of the game that savvy people can us to their advantage?

When it comes to tribal challenges sometimes we put up partitions and other times we don't. There is no hard fast rule. In this season we like the men vs women rivalry and we like the overlap of interaction so we let it go. The bottom line is the men had the lead and they blew it. That's how I see it anyway. To be clear, with individual challenges we always strive to keep it fair and to prevent two or more people from ganging up on one person by working together to knock them out.

Also this at the end makes me wonder...

Quote:

The women have finally broken through. Tease us up for next week, sir.

One of the most UNEXPECTED tribals ever. In fact, I dare say a first.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/01/je...vor-one-world/

ron
post #198 of 1025 Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yep, say what you will about Russell (i know you were not a fan) but his seasons were amazing. He was the master at blind-siding and admittedly had to do it quite a bit b/c his reckless nature made him a target.

I can't remember a single blind-side he started. He was excellent at keeping his finger on the general mood of the tribe to find the weakest target and always took credit for engineering everything the times that person got booted. If you didn't pay attention, you would have believed this but the blind-sides would have happened without his help. Remember he was only a target once on Samoa, he was never a target on Heroes vs. Villains, and got booted off of Redemption Island because he didn't do anything but shoot his mouth off (which he later claimed was his plan).

Shambo was the perfect example. Russell heard a couple complaining about her and saying that a lot of people are sick of her. Even though he never expressed anything negative about her before, he was suddenly in the cameras saying, "That Shambo, she goin' home tonight!" Yeah, the tribe already decided that, Russell.

post #199 of 1025 Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Individual reward doesn't generally happen until after the merge since whole tribes are competing prior to the merge. I'm not sure what you would like to see them do here.
Alliances with solid voting majorities almost always form because it makes sense strategically but this particular Survivor is allowing contestants to mix it up if they choose and form relationships with the other team prior to the merge.
The men's alliance isn't all that solid and the women did form a 5 person alliance on day 1 but regretted it so I wouldn't assume they are that solid either.
There can always be a tribe switch up to create more chaos although I would rather see this play out as is till the merge.
post #200 of 1025 Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Liked: 11
I don't count on established alliances to hold.

Naming two for each gender: on the female side I most like Chelsea and Sabrina; on the male side, I most like Jay and Troy (the one who said, "You're not playing Survivor if you're not lying").
post #201 of 1025 Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

"Impromizing"?
post #202 of 1025 Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

"Impromizing"?

Beyond my regular cluelessness, I can't figure out what you might be getting at here?....

ron
post #203 of 1025 Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Beyond my regular cluelessness, I can't figure out what you might be getting at here?....

ron

Watch the clip. Christina says she is "impromizing" with her ingredients and cooking methods. Sorry, I was questioning her - not you.
post #204 of 1025 Old 03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Watch the clip. Christina says she is "impromizing" with her ingredients and cooking methods. Sorry, I was questioning her - not you.

Ah, didn't even watch the vid clip before. What is it she says at the end about the angel fish? That's what you put in people's ...?
post #205 of 1025 Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't remember a single blind-side he started.

there were quite a few. the most obvious being the blind-side of Boston Rob (a great player) when Rob split up the votes. Russell should've been as good as gone.

in the times he had the numbers, I think Russell got bored easily or perhaps was paranoid or maybe just liked confrontation or, b/c he would switch up the vote often.
post #206 of 1025 Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From where I was sitting I was thinking it was Sabrina that was going to lose the challenge for the women due to her less than great direction of the blindfoldees. And she did get help from all the others in the puzzle as well. As far as the producers breaking up alliances goes, I think djb is probably right, in that until things get whittled down and into the individual stage, there isn't much they can really do. They are definitely concerned about the start to finish alliances though as evidenced by Jeff's reply to one of the EW questions after the second episode:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/23/je...vor-one-world/

ron

I like Jeff's quote about how they are going to make it difficult in upcoming seasons to get alliance from start. It does make it wonder if he tipped his hand (again) and that a core alliance from this season makes it all the way.
post #207 of 1025 Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think they could do a lot of things:

They could make rewards that can't be equally shared among a five person alliance and thus create resentment among those that get stiffed. For example: Two really nice blankets. Three crappy hoodies. And a tarp that can only cover a single sleeping space. Two foam pads. Let's see 'em fight over who gets what out of that mess.

They could have challenges that require them to pick pairs, so that the lower tiered members of the alliance see who the actual alphas in the alliance are.

And I don't see why individual rewards have to be limited to the last half of the season. With games of this format where most contestants get nothing. Individual rewards can be big incentives for people that think they won't finish first or second. Big Brother does this all the time throughout their season with the food competitions where they divide into teams but also have individual prizes that screw over the team. Let's see just how loyal all those alliance members are when an individual reward is on the line.
post #208 of 1025 Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
As soon as I saw Bill in the first episode, I was almost certain I've seen him before.

Check out this commercial and tell me if you think the salesman is him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU5iBWG2tI4
post #209 of 1025 Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

As soon as I saw Bill in the first episode, I was almost certain I've seen him before.

Check out this commercial and tell me if you think the salesman is him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU5iBWG2tI4

Sure looks like him. I think Bill found some wacky weed or magic mushrooms before this tribal council!

Who would have thought that Colton would be running the show on the Men's tribe. I think the Average Joes are going to keep him in until they get rid of the "Roosters."
post #210 of 1025 Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Would someone please explain that to me? I simply don't get it.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page