post #91 of 134 Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

Mostly as a 'stand alone', last night's 'Peaches' episode was pretty good. The balance of mystery vs the 'shock/scare' scenes was more tempered and therefore delivered the goods. Excellent 'twist' ending and very emotional. With seemingly improved writing and delivery The River is hitting a good stride...just in time to run smack into cancellation.

Few questions on last night's episode... How did the ghost captain get Kurt over to the Exodus without anyone noticing? If it was that easy to kidnap and transport living people, let alone a trained & sober soldier, from another boat why even bother with the subterfuge of helping them and partying with them? And if the other ghosts could leave the Exodus to kidnap people, why couldn't Lena's dad leave?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 134 Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Few questions on last night's episode... ... And if the other ghosts could leave the Exodus to kidnap people, why couldn't Lena's dad leave?

I guess he was "Locked" in that lower room, while the 'bad ghosts' weren't....

It bothers me that all this crap happens to these people, & they wake up like nothing's changed, let's go deeper into the jungle, on with the mission... Not a single person on the ship is scared to death & wants out of there ....
post #93 of 134 Old 03-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Ditto! I agree with each point made.

It was good to see some raw emotion from *Peaches* (she did an excellent job of acting, IMHO) and now there can be some closure for her.

I thought that actress was hilarious when they first got on board the boat and she was pretending to be scared with the night vision effect. Hopefully she will find more work.
post #94 of 134 Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I blew beer thru my nose when she was giving the Mayday call and said Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Not sure but I don't remember from my Navy days anything significant about WTF. But that was long, long before texting.

Anyway I thought it was the best episode to date.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #95 of 134 Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Anyway I thought it was the best episode to date.

I don't get it. I just watched the "Peaches" episode and thought it was absolutely awful. The acting was awful. The suspense wasn't there. The premise was stupid. The ending was so bad I was laughing all the way through it.

To each his own, I guess.
post #96 of 134 Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

It's all relative. I didn't say it was good, just the best to date.

post #97 of 134 Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone else think the sound of this show is absolutely horrible?

The music is too freaking LOUD! It's at least twice as loud as the vocals. I can barely hear and understand anything anyone says in this show because they play LOUD music over the vocals (which are low and muffled to begin with); even when nothing big or important is going on LOUD music is being played over people talking... The only person I can understand is the non English speaking girl because they actually tell you what she says...
You shouldn't have to keep rewinding and muting to find out what is being said.
post #98 of 134 Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomjester View Post

The music is too freaking LOUD! It's at least twice as loud as the vocals. I can barely hear and understand anything anyone says in this show because they play LOUD music over the vocals (which are low and muffled to begin with); ...

sounds fine to me ... perhaps your affiliate is doing something nasty to the 5.1 mix a/o perhaps time to recheck your AVR setup???
post #99 of 134 Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomjester View Post

Does anyone else think the sound of this show is absolutely horrible?

It's not just the sound that's horrible
post #100 of 134 Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcr6419 View Post

It's not just the sound that's horrible

Now that's just funny, I don't care who you are. (Apologies to Larry the Cable Guy)

post #101 of 134 Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I enjoyed last night's episode. It was a nice *diversion* seeing Bruce Greenwood (who is, IMO, a very accomplished actor) occupy the majority of the running time. He was persuasive in his role...and I thought his eventual breakdown (due to lack of food and being abandoned by his camera-girl) was entertaining. BTW, did you all notice who that camera-girl was...none other than one of the stars of the Paranormal Activity movies.

I also thought the ending was satisfying. The *plot* seems to be *thickening*.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #102 of 134 Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Wonder which one of the natives was working the camera when they dragged him off?

post #103 of 134 Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Wonder which one of the natives was working the camera when they dragged him off?

I was wondering the same thing. Quite accomplished, those natives are!
post #104 of 134 Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

I was wondering the same thing. Quite accomplished, those natives are!

I believe we can assume the natives that took him had been following him AND observing him and his camera crew all the while, so they could have easily figured out how to "point and shoot." Perhaps they thought it best to keep the camera focused on him AND on themselves too, so they could be part of the show once it was broadcast on cable and satellite. This was, in their thinking, their big moment...their few moments of fame!

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #105 of 134 Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I believe we can assume the natives that took him had been following him AND observing him and his camera crew all the while, so they could have easily figured out how to "point and shoot." Perhaps they thought it best to keep the camera focused on him AND on themselves too, so they could be part of the show once it was broadcast on cable and satellite. This was, in their thinking, their big moment...their few moments of fame!

I would have laughed for sure if one of the natives took the camera and quickly turned it around on themselves and smiled like some people do occasionally for humor.
post #106 of 134 Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I think it all just demonstrates the absurdity of trying to present this whole narrative as being a compilation of videos stitched together from tapes recovered in the jungle and shot be the principals. How many different angles of the Dr. were there while he was in the throes of starvation? And he has a shot of himself falling out of the mango tree?? C'mon! I'm sure you also noticed how carefully the natives intentionally did NOT show their faces while they were carrying him (and his camera) to the settlement. I think the whole story could have been more effectively told from traditional 3rd party POV. It wouldn't have resulted in so many contorted efforts by the producers to maintain the "realism" of whatever this style is called.

Did you also observe how the good doctor's beard didn't grow much during his ordeal and how in different closeups of his face in the same time moment showed stubble of varying lengths? Maybe starvation does that to you.

All that said, I think the show turned an important corner for me last night. As much as I dislike the movie within the movie tactic of getting us from here to there, I am more enthused about what might come next than I had been since the beginning. I am thinking sticking with the show is going to pay off. At least until it gets canceled.
post #107 of 134 Old 03-07-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

And when do they hook up the solar powered battery charger since he seems to be on the move most of the time?

This show is just wrong on so many levels.

post #108 of 134 Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

This show is just wrong on so many levels.

I finally got a chance to view the episodes and near the start of the 2nd episode (2nd hour of the premiere) they showed them putting a tape into the deck. Major mistake. The deck is a Sony DSR-20, of which I have two. It is a 720x480i 4:3 deck. It is not HD. Hell, the DVCAM label on the upper-right of the deck even indicates that it is 4:3 and not HD.

It would have been so easy for them to use an HDCAM deck. Funny thing is, the deck is more right for the time period than the rest of the gear that is there, i.e., all of the monitors, etc., are HD.

Worse is that the storyline says that they have no clue as to the order of the tapes. Bullsh!t! All DVCAM tapes are timecoded.and have a separate date stamp. Even if he never set the date in the camera, it would still be sequential from tape to tape.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #109 of 134 Old 03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

sounds fine to me

Definitely nothing wrong with the audio. Been through the 6 episodes now and had no issue hearing the actors.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #110 of 134 Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Chasing after Emmet at the encampment was stupid. Why? He wasn't going to be there. Where was his backpack full of tapes found? Yep, at the falls, meaning that he made it there. Illogical.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #111 of 134 Old 03-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
zombies and now they find him

looks like its the end next week

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #112 of 134 Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

A merciful ending.

post #113 of 134 Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
DS finds this show funny; e.g., regular gasping is not so scary. I almost didn't watch, because they went back to that awful camera waving.

Merciful ending? I am hoping for an over the top cliffhanger. With a real cliff.
post #114 of 134 Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Dialed in the River last night and got....Resident Evil 5..6?!?! With only one episode left can't imagine this bio research/zombie episode is more than than just a over-done detour. I would HOPE it comes back to play a role in the finale or at least was thought to be able to impact the plot of a second season (which won't happen anyway.) Otherwise is looks like a cheap trick that really didn't work. Never felt the connection between the security guy and his lover-turned-zombie either. And a cocooned Emmitt??? Bizarre. Hopefully the finale will end up with some of the wonder and mystery the River can (not nearly often enough with these writers) provide.

Derek
post #115 of 134 Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

In order to potentially have another 8, or so, episodes, there is no way that they are going to be able to make it home. We'll just have to wait until Tuesday to find out how they pull that off.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #116 of 134 Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I hope that Tuesday's episode is really worth it! I'm not too sure after watching the zombie episode.
post #117 of 134 Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 355
So ends The River.

It had some good moments but the execution was stupid and the finale was such horribly cliched bull I had to FF through the end to avoid listening to another exorcism being solved by the power of love.

It was hard to get involved in the story when every episode I was wondering most of the time where all the cameras were coming from and why they had such silly placement.

Every episode a new camera appeared on the ship just to catch the action at the correct point. Even if it was mounted half way up a handrail or pointing up someone's nostril. The most hilarious example was a few weeks back when they had a camera in Kurt's room whose sole purpose was to shoot a two inch wide vertical view of the floor between the slats in a vent just for that one moment when somebody may stand there and the jungle scene with the zombies in which Bunny left Emmet but not before climbing a tree to mount two cameras.

And to cap it all, the moment when the cameras would be useful to ID a shooter every one of those hundred or so cameras all went offline simultaneously. No battery backup for those.

post #118 of 134 Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

We'll just have to wait until Tuesday to find out how they pull that off.

Well now we know how they are being kept there. If there is a season 2, what will they be doing.

On a separate issue, a thought came to mind about all of the tapes they would had to have brought along. The mini tapes are only good for 40 min. The large tapes (which the camcorders can't use), are only good for 3 hours. Ignoring the fact that they are 480i 4:3, though the recordings could be anamorphic widescreen. But, what we are being shown is HD.

All of the ship's camera have to be recorded on something. More than likely a RAID server. Still, that won't last forever either.

Oh well.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #119 of 134 Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

And to cap it all, the moment when the cameras would be useful to ID a shooter every one of those hundred or so cameras all went offline simultaneously. No battery backup for those.

Um, it is very possible that the recording server went down as well. Battery backup or not, if the server is down, the operating cameras mean nothing.

Yes, there were a lot of things wrong with how the cameras were used.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #120 of 134 Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

All of the ship's camera have to be recorded on something. More than likely a RAID server. Still, that won't last forever either.

Oh well.

And based on what we've seen every camera has to be recording 24/7 to catch every single relevant moment. The show doesn't miss anything at all. It might have made more sense if there were actual holes in the story where the cameras failed to capture an important moment from some angles.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page