'The Voice' Season 2 on NBC HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 465 Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I spent part of the afternoon listening to the music produced by Javier, Dia, Beverly, and Xenia. They all released near the end of last year. My favorite is Xenia. She's got a really pleasant, distinctive voice, but not much range. Dia's is pretty good, but far too mellow for me. Beverly's is kinda lame, but I'm not a fan of the Melissa Etheridge sound. Javier's is just boring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 465 Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This show did GREAT for the judges. Adam (with Christina) had his biggest hit ever. CeeLo just got bigger, and Blake really became known outside the country community (many people had never even heard of him before).

The show constantly has judges in direct competition with their own contestants for available screen time. In the end, the contestants were totally overshadowed by the judges and visiting established artists, causing a huge distraction away from the contestants.

The record company that produced albums for the top acts put zero effort into making these artists into stars. Bland formula songs tossed out into the world with zero promotion. If they got paid a fee for this from "The Voice", the companies took that money and ran with it.
post #33 of 465 Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

A short preview of one audition from season 2. It looks like the cuts to family members during the song are still in, as are 500 camera angles and edits a minute. Thankfully the X-Factor audience screaming is nowhere to be found (in that clip).

post #34 of 465 Old 01-27-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

A short preview of one audition from season 2. It looks like the cuts to family members during the song are still in, as are 500 camera angles and edits a minute. Thankfully the X-Factor audience screaming is nowhere to be found (in that clip).

One very quick cut to the family won't bother me much, and all those cuts to the judges I love since it's all part of the performance. Agreed about the audience. It's all very tasteful. That one clip reminded me again why I prefer The Voice over Idol and X Factor. Love the panel and the interplay between them. Can't wait.
post #35 of 465 Old 01-29-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw this picture from the live coverage of the Etta James funeral and wondered what the big deal was. I assumed it was because she was letting her boobs hang out during a funeral. Classy. But apparently the big to-do was running down her legs.

post #36 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
A very promising opener last night. The first singer Jesse Campbell was so outstanding that Adam punched the button after the first few notes. There were two other excellent singers as well, one guy who was an operatic tenor and another had been a Mousekateer with Christina (who didn't realize it until they told her). Adam and Blake were absolutely hilarious and, hopefully, the judges are all getting the same pay this year. Aguilera looked like she had ballons stuffed in her bra. Push up bra or more "work"? So many questions, so few answers
post #37 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

A very promising opener last night. The first singer Jesse Campbell was so outstanding that Adam punched the button after the first few notes. There were two other excellent singers as well, one guy who was an operatic tenor and another had been a Mousekateer with Christina (who didn't realize it until they told her). Adam and Blake were absolutely hilarious and, hopefully, the judges are all getting the same pay this year. Aguilera looked like she had ballons stuffed in her bra. Push up bra or more "work"? So many questions, so few answers

So you missed the first singer too. I hate NBC. If you advertise the show to begin at 10:00, put the damn show on at 10:00. Instead they started it early and my dvr missed the first singer (who went to Blake). But yeah, the rest of the show was really fun. So much more enjoyable than watching Idol or X Factor.

Go here to watch the first artist that DVRs missed due to NBC's ineptitude.
post #38 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The first singer sang a country song, and it was hard to tell how good her voice actually was. Usually that means that she doesn't have a lot of range.

The second guy was good, and would have advanced on X Factor too.

The opera guy didn't impress me, though I've been spoiled by Jackie Evancho.
post #39 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

So you missed the first singer too. I hate NBC. If you advertise the show to begin at 10:00, put the damn show on at 10:00. Instead they started it early and my dvr missed the first singer (who went to Blake).

You must be west coast. Here, the show started immediately following the Super Bowl overrun. Which is fine. I set the DVR to get "The Voice" and the local news that followed just to be sure. This method has worked since the VCR days. HOWEVER.. sometime during "The Voice," the guide got a forced update with the overrun accounted for. Which means my recording of the local news started exactly when IT did.. 11:20. Recording of "The Voice" stopped promptly at 11. So, I missed the last 20 minutes of "The Voice."

Next time, I'm going to have to program it for channel and length of time, just like the old VCR days. No more clicking on the guide.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #40 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The Voice did as well as NBC could have hoped last night ratingswise.

Quote:

The season 2 premiere of "The Voice" (16.3 rating in adults 18-49 and 37.611 million viewers overall) scored the highest rating for an entertainment telecast on any net in six years since the post-Super Bowl telecast of "Grey’s Anatomy" on February 5, 2006 (16.5).

post #41 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

A very promising opener last night.

I watched most of the show to see if it was new and improved (for me). I guess I wasn't impressed as I added the Season Pass TiVo informed me based on its priority it would be skipped. Apparently, I have two other shows higher rated during its time slot... oh well.
post #42 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

The Voice did as well as NBC could have hoped last night ratingswise.

Wow, those are some nice numbers. I hope for their sake tonight's episode is at least as good as last season. It's definitely a lot of fun, and is helped by the fact that I enjoy the personality of all 4 of the judges.
post #43 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hate NBC. If you advertise the show to begin at 10:00, put the damn show on at 10:00

Every promo I saw for the show had it listed as "after the Super Bowl". The actual start time could not have been predetermined. The channel guide programmer had to put some random start time in there, but really it could have been off by an hour or more either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

HOWEVER.. sometime during "The Voice," the guide got a forced update with the overrun accounted for. Which means my recording of the local news started exactly when IT did.. 11:20. Recording of "The Voice" stopped promptly at 11. So, I missed the last 20 minutes of "The Voice."

This is totally preventable and unacceptable. Idiots should not be turning off dvr's by updating them with wrong information during the broadcast.
post #44 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

Every promo I saw for the show had it listed as "after the Super Bowl". The actual start time could not have been predetermined. The channel guide programmer had to put some random start time in there, but really it could have been off by an hour or more either way.

NBC scheduled the post-game to last until 10. Not hard to fill that with interviews, recaps etc. DVRs said The Voice would begin at 10 and offered to add time since it followed a sporting event. I added time. Unfortunately adding time didnt take into account that NBC would air it earlier than what they listed. It's fine though since NBC puts up The Voice on their website and Hulu, something I think Fox stupidly doesnt do with Idol and possibly X Factor.
post #45 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

So you missed the first singer too. I hate NBC. If you advertise the show to begin at 10:00, put the damn show on at 10:00.

You mean 10:30. It was curious that the game seemed to end exactly on schedule for NBC, and yet they opted to end the post-game show about 12 minutes early.

My guess is they intended the game to run after 10:00, and never planned for more than a 15 minute post-game show. But Belichick also refused the interview, so maybe it was partly the Patriots' fault.
post #46 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 655
We were at a Super Bowl party last night, I was in no condition to watch anything when we got home .. .. in fact, I was so blitzed by half time, I kept thinking "How can CeeLo be in the halftime show and still get to the Voice in time .. if that tells you anything ..

not checked the DVR yet, but it sounds like I may be missing some of it .. good thing it's available to stream .. SQ may suffer, though ..

The Post-Game show in our area was supposed to be a half hour ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #47 of 465 Old 02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently some girl that's big on Youtube will be on tonight (Angie Johnson). I watched a video of her singing the National Anthem at a Seahawks game and she was really great. Looking forward to seeing her on the show. I think she's a sergeant in the military as well.
post #48 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Watched #1 and #2 auditions last night .. and my confidence that Voice is the best singing competion currently on TV was reinforced ..

The panel continues to impress with a lose, ad lib style that in no way is scripted, at least IMO .. the small bits of family and backstory add to the draw ..

Talent this year is looking very, very good ..

Looking forward to the season ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #49 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, there's no comparison between the audition phases of Idol, X Factor and this. The Voice kills them both. I love the drama of will they or won't they turn, the interplay between mentors while they fight for contestants, and the singing for the most part has been really great. My concern for The Voice is based solely off last season, and that's the battle round phase. It was horribly drawn out last season and needed a major overhaul. I'm interested to see if they listened. My only complaint is that the show goes by too fast and I'm left wanting more. I've never said that about X Factor or Idol.
post #50 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 AM

Liked: 10
Tried to watch The Voice last night, but I still find these shows a major downer. It appears that America thinks talent involves elaborate orchestration and flashy production, like you're at a $100 rock concert.

Just bring out a singer with a solo piano, and see if they can impress me. Otherwise its seems this is nothing more than sound mixing and staging.

Maybe that's what America think makes talent.
post #51 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMilner View Post

Tried to watch The Voice last night, but I still find these shows a major downer. It appears that America thinks talent involves elaborate orchestration and flashy production, like you're at a $100 rock concert.

Just bring out a singer with a solo piano, and see if they can impress me. Otherwise its seems this is nothing more than sound mixing and staging.

Maybe that's what America think makes talent.

It's what America (and the rest of the world) gets when they buy a CD. The sound mix on The Voice is great. When someone has pitch problems, it's evident. When someone is good, it's evident. The band sounds great as well.
post #52 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

As a guy that's been in the music business for 35 years as a guitarist / singer / soundman / etc .. I can tell you from first hand experience, Voice as about as real as it gets .. so, different strokes / different folks ..

And I saw no flashy production on the contestants .. what I did see was pretty stripped down .. almost to just an acoustic guitar at times ..

Uncle Willie

post #53 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Based on the iTunes reaction it seems like Lindsey is the big hit so far. 400 more votes than anyone else and a perfect 5 out of 5 review average. I'm guessing it was mainly due to the song choice, but we'll see as the show goes on how well she continues to sell.
post #54 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on the iTunes reaction it seems like Lindsey is the big hit so far. 400 more votes than anyone else and a perfect 5 out of 5 review average. I'm guessing it was mainly due to the song choice, but we'll see as the show goes on how well she continues to sell.

400 more votes? I'm new to this show and don't know how the voting works, but 400 seems like a pretty slim margin to me. What is the voting pool?
post #55 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Say Aah .. and her take on it was excellent .. although her voice reminded me so much of Dia Frampton ..

Uncle Willie

post #56 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

400 more votes? I'm new to this show and don't know how the voting works, but 400 seems like a pretty slim margin to me. What is the voting pool?

No one's actually voting on singers yet. It's just the number of people that bought and reviewed the song on itunes. On a typical week of Idol, you might see 150-250 for a good song. On The Voice last year the songs were selling so well that they were placing in the top 5 sales on iTunes for weeks at a time.

On a sidenote, I thought i recognized the black guy (meth addict, HIV). He was Danny Gokey's friend that got cut near the end of Hollywood week on Idol.
post #57 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

It's what America (and the rest of the world) gets when they buy a CD. The sound mix on The Voice is great. When someone has pitch problems, it's evident. When someone is good, it's evident. The band sounds great as well.

Yeah, your right guys. I guess I sounded kinda snarky.

But the masses seem to like this stuff. Different strokes...

I just dream of bringing a singer in, asking them to spend 5 minutes prepping on a song (sight-reading in effect) and impressing us with their talent and chops. More like an audtion for a show or a choir.

Probably would bore the crap out of most people.
post #58 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No one's actually voting on singers yet. It's just the number of people that bought and reviewed the song on itunes. On a typical week of Idol, you might see 150-250 for a good song. On The Voice last year the songs were selling so well that they were placing in the top 5 sales on iTunes for weeks at a time.

On a sidenote, I thought i recognized the black guy (meth addict, HIV). He was Danny Gokey's friend that got cut near the end of Hollywood week on Idol.

Oh, I see now, said the blind man. Thanks for the insight. That makes more sense to me now.
I don't remember the meth addict. I must tune out a lot of the back stories.
post #59 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Oh, I see now, said the blind man. Thanks for the insight. That make more sense to me now.
I don't remember the meth addict. I must tune out a lot of the back stories.

Yeah, he stood out to me because I thought I'd seen him before but couldnt place him. He's the tattooed guy that sang 7 Nation Army.

Lindsey is now 600+ more "votes" on iTunes than anyone else. The woman that sang Chaka is lowest, which tells you how this show goes.
post #60 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
'Voice' draws NBC's best rating since 2007
Timeslot debut averages a 6.6 in 18-49s, the night's top show
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Feb. 8, 2012

NBC's midseason prospects are looking a lot rosier this morning.

The network's decision to air "The Voice" behind the Super Bowl paid off handsomely with the show growing 29 percent over last year's season debut in its regular Monday 8 to 10 p.m. timeslot last night.

"Voice" averaged a 6.6 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen overnights, NBC's best average in that timeslot for non-sports programming since Feb. 16, 2004, and the network's top non-sports, non-special on any night in four and a half years, since September 2007.

"Voice" peaked with a 7.7 in its final half hour and grew from a 5.3 in its first half hour. It also became the first program this season to beat CBS's "Two and a Half Men" in its timeslot. "Men" averaged a season-low 4.2.

CBS's comedies all dropped between 7 and 11 percent from their most recent outings, too.

But "Voice" seemed to hurt Fox's lineup the most. "House" was off 17 percent from its most recent episode, and the new drama "Alcatraz" dropped 21 percent to a series-low 2.2.

"Voice's" big numbers boosted much-hyped lead-out "Smash" to a strong debut as well. The show averaged a 3.8 rating at 10 p.m.

It marked the highest rating for any drama this season in the 10 p.m. slot, and was the third-highest-rated drama bow this season, behind ABC's "Once Upon a Time" and Fox's "Touch."

It also marked NBC's best rating in the hour since an election special in November 2008.

One possible concern for NBC is that "Smash" declined 19 percent from its first to its second half hour, from a 4.2 to a 3.4. A second-half dropoff is never a good sign for a new show.

NBC was first for the night among 18-49s with a 5.7 average overnight rating and a 14 share, becoming the first network to beat CBS when it aired originals on a Monday this season.

CBS was second at 3.5/9, ABC third at 2.4/6, Fox fourth at 2.3/6, Univision fifth at 1.6/4, CW sixth at 0.6/1 and Telemundo seventh at 0.5/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won't be available for several weeks. Forty-three percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

At 8 p.m. NBC led with a 5.7 for the first hour of "Voice," followed by CBS with a 4.1 for "How I Met Your Mother" (4.0) and "2 Broke Girls" (4.3). ABC was third with a 2.5 for "The Bachelor," Fox fourth with a 2.4 for "House," Univision fifth with a 1.7 for "Una Familia con Suerte" and CW and Telemundo tied for sixth at 0.6, CW for "Gossip Girl" and Telemundo for "Una Maid en Manhattan."

NBC extended its lead at 9 p.m. with a 7.5 for more "Voice," while CBS remained second with a 3.8 for "Men" (4.2) and "Mike & Molly" (3.4). ABC was third with a 2.7 for another hour of "Bachelor," Fox fourth with a 2.2 for "Alcatraz," Univision fifth with a 1.5 for "El Talisman," CW sixth with a 0.6 for "Hart of Dixie" and Telemundo seventh with a 0.5 for "Flor Salvaje."

At 10 p.m. NBC was first with a 3.8 for "Smash," with CBS second with a 2.7 for "Hawaii Five-0." ABC was third with a 2.0 for "Castle," Univision fourth with a 1.6 for "La Que No Podia Amar" and Telemundo fifth with a 0.4 for "Relaciones Peligrosas."

NBC also led the night among households with a 9.1 average overnight rating and a 14 share. CBS was second at 6.7/10, ABC third at 5.5/8, Fox fourth at 4.2/6, Univision fifth at 2.0/3, CW sixth at 1.0/2 and Telemundo seventh at 0.7/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...since-2007.asp
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page