post #61 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

On The Voice last year the songs were selling so well that they were placing in the top 5 sales on iTunes for weeks at a time.

A few of them are appearing on the "Top 200 Singles" chart on iTunes already. The highest was at #27 when I looked, but the chart gets updated often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Wow 17.7 million viewers is huge. Somewhere out there Simon's wondering where he went wrong.
post #63 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMilner View Post

Tried to watch The Voice last night, but I still find these shows a major downer. It appears that America thinks talent involves elaborate orchestration and flashy production, like you're at a $100 rock concert.

Just bring out a singer with a solo piano, and see if they can impress me. Otherwise its seems this is nothing more than sound mixing and staging.

I also watched it for the first time Sunday. I didn't like the flashy production any more than I did with X-factor. The spinning chairs and big red buttons with associated sound effect is a silly game show gimmick.

And the judges. Who are these people again? Christina Aguilera's store-bought face spooks me and despite her success, she was a total space cadet. I'd like the Adam guy if I knew who he was. I think Cee-Lo had a hit song once before becoming a parody of himself. I assume that a guy named Blake with a Southern accent must be a Country-Western musician because that's how they talk.

The talent was great although they didn't have many performers.

I forgot to watch it last night but I'll try to remember next time.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #64 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 547
For the musically challenged, just a little reading material here to get you up to speed on the panel ..

As well, I'll need to watch the show a bit closer, as all I've seen that would qualify as flashy production was the Prince medley done by the panel ..

The whole idea of the blind audition is to pick a team based on the singing ability / emotional connection of the contestants, regardless of age, etc .. thus, the chairs face the rear .. which, (and I know it's hard to believe) is quite engaging .. and helps to turn "The Voice" into an actual competition, rather than a popularity / beauty contest ..

Of course, those that prefer the shallow, script driven shows populated by a panel that consists of an aging, has been Rock Star that is transforming himself into a comedian, or a self made Diva that was out of the public view for many years, or even a shallow, self important talent scout that used to actually judge ... well, "The Voice" may not be for you ..

Cee Lo Green ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cee_Lo_Green

Adam Levine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Levine

Christina Aguilera
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Aguilera

Blake Shelton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Shelton

Mentors for 2012 ... Kelly Clarkson, Alanis Morissette, Babyface, Ne-Yo,
Jewel, Lionel Richie, Robin Thicke, Miranda Lambert

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #65 of 465 Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

People like to mock the big chairs, but they're part of the appeal to a lot of us. I love the drama of who's going to turn, and if multiples turn I look forward to the lobbying and finally the decision by the artist.
post #66 of 465 Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Apparently some girl that's big on Youtube will be on tonight (Angie Johnson). I watched a video of her singing the National Anthem at a Seahawks game and she was really great. Looking forward to seeing her on the show. I think she's a sergeant in the military as well.

I was blown away by her and I couldn't believe only Cee-Lo turned around.

I know it's all personal preference and that's the kind of music and voice that gets me pumped, but come on! Only one turn?

Quote:

Based on the iTunes reaction it seems like Lindsey is the big hit so far. 400 more votes than anyone else and a perfect 5 out of 5 review average. I'm guessing it was mainly due to the song choice, but we'll see as the show goes on how well she continues to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Say Aah .. and her take on it was excellent .. although her voice reminded me so much of Dia Frampton ..

As soon as she started singing I said, "Oh great, another Dia that will bore the crap out of me every week. Guaranteed she'll somehow be the most popular on iTunes."

I guess that's the type of music people who watch this show prefer. To me it's way too slow and boring, but to each his own I guess.
post #67 of 465 Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I was blown away by her and I couldn't believe only Cee-Lo turned around.

As soon as she started singing I said, "Oh great, another Dia that will bore the crap out of me every week. Guaranteed she'll somehow be the most popular on iTunes."

I guess that's the type of music people who watch this show prefer. To me it's way too slow and boring, but to each his own I guess.

Yeah, the Johnson girl really came to attention on a phone video, with terrible audio on her take on "Rolling in the Deep" .. she's got a strong voice and looks good, so hopefully she'll go far .. the Veteran angle won't hurt either ..

The Dia Clone .. (and I kinda liked Dia, she's got an album out now that's not half bad for a freshman record) .. is what she is .. there is always a place for the angst ridden chick in the music biz ..

Last season, Beverly actually became quite a favorite in our household .. although we pretty well figured she would not win, man, that woman could belt it out ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #68 of 465 Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think that song is popular because she sounds like Dia. I think it's popular because she took a song and completely changed it and made it good. If she keep doing that, she'll be popular.
post #69 of 465 Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

People like to mock the big chairs, but they're part of the appeal to a lot of us. I love the drama of who's going to turn, and if multiples turn I look forward to the lobbying and finally the decision by the artist.

Yeah, but it seems like there should be a less goofy game show way of doing this. It reminds me of the buttons and game show desks the judges used on Paula Abdul's awful dance show.

Why should the chairs even turn when they hit the cartoonish button? It's not like they can turn them back around when they see the performer isn't attractive.

post #70 of 465 Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think that song is popular because she sounds like Dia. I think it's popular because she took a song and completely changed it and made it good. If she keep doing that, she'll be popular.

I agree 100% .. her interpretaion of the song was great .. it gave it an entirely different feel than the original .. but she did sound like Dia to me, anyway ..

post #71 of 465 Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Yeah, but it seems like there should be a less goofy game show way of doing this. It reminds me of the buttons and game show desks the judges used on Paula Abdul's awful dance show.

Why should the chairs even turn when they hit the cartoonish button? It's not like they can turn them back around when they see the performer isn't attractive.

It's all part of the fun. And obviously people love it, myself included. It's a judging mechanic that works quite well. There's really no mystery why the show is doing so well (quality, diverse mentors + great singing + cool gimmick = win).
post #72 of 465 Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I found this aspect appealing for a couple of shows. After that it became rather lame and repetitive. It gives the mentors too big of a role in the show and since I have little interest in any of them I no longer watch. Certainly not the same as America's Got Talent but for me it comes across the same. Tainted by a format I can't get past.
post #73 of 465 Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I found this aspect appealing for a couple of shows. After that it became rather lame and repetitive. It gives the mentors too big of a role in the show and since I have little interest in any of them I no longer watch. Certainly not the same as America's Got Talent but for me it comes across the same. Tainted by a format I can't get past.

You and I obviously differ quite a bit on these shows. You think X Factor is good, whereas I think it's a steaming pile. Thankfully we have choices.
post #74 of 465 Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The Voice beat American Idol's Wednesday rating 6.7 to 6.0. In typical Nigel sourgrapes fashion, he called The Voice a "fun show, but they lack the talent of our show". Yeahhh, Scotty McCreary just screams talent.
post #75 of 465 Old 02-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In typical Nigel sourgrapes fashion, he called The Voice a "fun show, but they lack the talent of our show".

I read that the theme for this season of Idol's "Las Vegas round" was changed from Michael Jackson songs to 1950's music (probably after that disastrous X-Factor Jackson show).

I'm guessing that The Voice will never have a "1950's music" theme week.
post #76 of 465 Old 02-09-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's all part of the fun. And obviously people love it, myself included. It's a judging mechanic that works quite well.

I find it very hard to take any judge seriously when they have to push a cartoon button to make their chair spin around. Why don't they have a prop more scientific and dignified, like a gong.

Quote:

There's really no mystery why the show is doing so well (quality, diverse mentors + great singing + cool gimmick = win).

I guess there's also no mystery why I forgot to watch it this week.

post #77 of 465 Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I find it very hard to take any judge seriously when they have to push a cartoon button to make their chair spin around. Why don't they have a prop more scientific and dignified, like a gong.

I guess there's also no mystery why I forgot to watch it this week.

They're doing quite well without you.
post #78 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
That was a pretty weak selection this week. None of them really stood out and made me say WOW.

We usually just FF through all the stories because frankly we couldn't care less, but what the hell was that with Perez Hilton backstage supporting the chick with the huge rack and blue hair? What did he have to do with her?
post #79 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Not the best set of talent, but I did think the kid with the bowtie has potential. But even on it's worst night, The Voice auditions are still light years ahead of X Factor and Idol. The question for me still is whether or not they've found a way to make the next round less sh*tty than last season Going to two nights a week would help with that, but the geniuses at NBC think Whitney and Chelsea deserve airtime. Is it any wonder they're in dead last?
post #80 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

That was a pretty weak selection this week. None of them really stood out and made me say WOW.

Agreed, The first audition show after the Superbowl had some excellent singers but I haven't heard much since that was as good. There was one really good singer last night, the gentleman with the dark glasses who had a couple of kids. Some of the singers just sound odd and you can see the coaches listening very closely to try to figure out what level their talent reaches while they fiddle with the buttons.
post #81 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Liked: 10
The last girl Jordis was from Rockstar INXS.
post #82 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAS View Post

I had completely forgotten about that show ..

post #83 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I had completely forgotten about that show ..

I recognized the name but couldn't put a finger on it...until I looked her up.
post #84 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

We usually just FF through all the stories because frankly we couldn't care less, but what the hell was that with Perez Hilton backstage supporting the chick with the huge rack and blue hair? What did he have to do with her?

He was a friend. She didn't make it.
post #85 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
do we really need to hear about every singers sob story?
totally gratuitous! let's evaluate them on talent not back stories.

how about the one that was sick for two years due to mold infestation and could not pursue her dream of singing, laughable!
post #86 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Last night's show was down 12% compared with the week before. Not a good sign considering the auditions are supposed to be the show's biggest attraction. Just based on that drop I would guess that The Voice will finish behind Idol this season, though it might be close if they can come up with more noteworthy singers than they did last year.
post #87 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAS View Post

That makes me not want to watch my DVR recording.

I would expect that we will see a lot more singer recycling if these 3 1/2 shows stay on the air.
post #88 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think the producers tend to drift towards talent that has maybe taken a shot on other shows or been in the fringe of the music biz trying to break in .. there just feels like there is a slant in that direction to me .. and that's fine .. they mix in some fresh folks as well ..

The talent pool is likely more finite than we'd like to think .. there are a lot of folks that think they can sing .. but there are only so many actual singers .. CeeLo himself has stated that in inteviews .. and admitted that he is not a singer ..

I like the backstories / familiy friends backstage aspect .. as one who has been in the music business myself for 35 years, I know it takes supportive folks behind you or you'll likely get no where .. real artists are tempermental folks with an ego that's easy to bruise and most don't take rejection well ..

post #89 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Last night's show was down 12% compared with the week before. Not a good sign considering the auditions are supposed to be the show's biggest attraction.

Ratings for the third episode of "The Voice" broadcast.

2011 - 4.6 adults 18-49 rating, 10.29 million viewers (Tuesday, May 10, 2011)

2012 - 6.0 adults 18-49 rating, 16.28 million viewers

This is on NBC, where a 2.5 rating is considered a solid show.
post #90 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

Ratings for the third episode of "The Voice" broadcast.

2011 - 4.6 adults 18-49 rating, 10.29 million viewers (Tuesday, May 10, 2011)

2012 - 5.9 adults 18-49 rating, 16.10 million viewers

This is on NBC, where a 2.5 rating is considered a solid show.

I don't think anyone is saying The Voice is going to be canceled. But this season should definitely be its peak for ratings when you consider the Super Bowl boost. It will fall just as American Idol is falling. The X Factor is receiving a significant makeover so its ratings might improve this fall, though obviously ratings in the 5.0-6.0 range is as good as any of these singing shows can expect. Next year that range might go down to 4.0-5.0, and so on. Another three years of this and I expect most people will probably want to vomit at the thought of watching another singing show.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page