post #91 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I don't think anyone is saying The Voice is going to be canceled. But this season should definitely be its peak for ratings when you consider the Super Bowl boost. It will fall just as American Idol is falling. The X Factor is receiving a significant makeover so its ratings might improve this fall, though obviously ratings in the 5.0-6.0 range is as good as any of these singing shows can expect. Next year that range might go down to 4.0-5.0, and so on. Another three years of this and I expect most people will probably want to vomit at the thought of watching another singing show.

We'll see .. no one has a crystal ball .. or we'd all be in Vegas ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 465 Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The word is that Tony Vincent, a wonderful singer and actor, is going to audition on The Voice. He has been in Rent and American Idiot on Broadway and We Will Rock you in the the London and Las Vegas companies (we saw him in that one). I would be shocked if he didn't get scooped up by any of the judges. Just goes to show what the "career-making" drawing power of this show can be.
post #93 of 465 Old 02-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Here is an "unofficial" report that the 3rd season of "The Voice" is set to run this fall, and would directly compete against "X Factor USA".

Hmmm, sounds risky in a time of audience burnout already.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/vo...xclusive-35472
post #94 of 465 Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

Here is an "unofficial" report that the 3rd season of "The Voice" is set to run this fall, and would directly compete against "X Factor USA".

Hmmm, sounds risky in a time of audience burnout already.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/vo...xclusive-35472

If it came down to only choosing one, The Voice will clobber X Factor. I doubt they'll run on the same nights. The Voice's biggest issue this season that I can see is that they picked a night that Dancing With the Stars is on You're better off going up against Idol than DWTS.
post #95 of 465 Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This would be an incredibly foolish decision. Do they really think that the saturation point has not been reached on singing shows? By doing this, they are not only competing with the other shows, they are competing with themselves. The biggest reason for Idol's long term success is that it did not overreach by airing two seasons a year. The other point to consider-where are all the singers coming from? The talent pool is being sucked dry this year.
post #96 of 465 Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Wow, I thought last week was boring. This one took it to a new low. There wasn't a single person who got me excited and made me say they had a great voice.

I don't remember her name, but there was one girl who as soon as she took the stage I said, "Oh great, here comes another Dia or Xenia. I bet Blake turns his chair within 5 seconds." Lo and behold, she had that same boring voice and his chair was turned before she finished her first line. He even made mention that she reminded him of Xenia. Guaranteed that snoozefest will probably be #1 in iTunes this week.
post #97 of 465 Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Wow, I thought last week was boring. This one took it to a new low.

My DVR has been picking up the weekend repeats (first run airings are skipped over) and my original take hasn't changed. For me it comes across (exactly) as a bad SNL parody. The set, performers and talent come across as caricatures. The gimmick (blind auditions) sucked me in for a couple of weeks last season but that's that.
post #98 of 465 Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Not a lot of great singers last night, but the show itself still kicks the crap outa Idol and X Factor (I kinda feel wrong even mentioning X Factor in the same breath as the other two since it was so damned dreadful in all regards) in entertainment value. Has more to do with the judges than it does the talent at this point since Idol has some good talent on display this year too. The problem with Idol is that we often say the talent is great going into the live shows and then it all completely goes to **** once Nigel and his team ruin everything.
post #99 of 465 Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm enjoying the audition phase so far .. the talent (as with last season) will improve .. that's the whole idea of coaching .. hear something that has possibilities and work with it .. the whole concept of the show, IMO ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #100 of 465 Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

The word is that Tony Vincent, a wonderful singer and actor, is going to audition on The Voice. He has been in Rent and American Idiot on Broadway and We Will Rock you in the the London and Las Vegas companies (we saw him in that one). I would be shocked if he didn't get scooped up by any of the judges. Just goes to show what the "career-making" drawing power of this show can be.

I thought his choice of "We Are The Champions" was a bad song to showcase his voice. It was a good thing that Cee Lo picked him, because those other three looked like they were just waiting for the song to get over. I expect him to get pretty far along in the competition though.
post #101 of 465 Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

That dude should not be singing Queen. He doesn't have the talent for it. Shed's right, he got lucky that Ceelo fell for it.
post #102 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

That dude should not be singing Queen. He doesn't have the talent for it. Shed's right, he got lucky that Ceelo fell for it.

Apparently, Brian May felt differently ..

Uncle Willie

post #103 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought his choice of "We Are The Champions" was a bad song to showcase his voice. It was a good thing that Cee Lo picked him, because those other three looked like they were just waiting for the song to get over. I expect him to get pretty far along in the competition though.

I wanted him to be able to pull it off, I really did .. and he must have better chops than what was shown on Voice due to his association with the remnants of Queen .. I have yet to see anyone that can adequately cover Freddie Mercury and I always cringe even before someone tries .. the minute the opening bar started, I looked at my wife and said "Another attempt at "Champions" .. " and that's all it was, an attempt ..

Mercury sang over a 4 octave range .. and was quite possibly the best Rock vocalist that ever lived, IMO .. to try and match that is near impossible .. and if someone could, they would be rich and famous already .. not to mention the sheer emotion that Mercury put forth in a performance ..

Uncle Willie

post #104 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I wanted him to be able to pull it off, I really did .. and he must have better chops than what was shown on Voice due to his association with the remnants of Queen .. I have yet to see anyone that can adequately cover Freddie Mercury and I always cringe even before someone tries .. the minute the opening bar started, I looked at my wife and said "Another attempt at "Champions" .. " and that's all it was, an attempt ..

Mercury sang over a 4 octave range .. and was quite possibly the best Rock vocalist that ever lived, IMO .. to try and match that is near impossible .. and if someone could, they would be rich and famous already .. not to mention the sheer emotion that Mercury put forth in a performance ..

Totally agree!
post #105 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having seen Tony in "We Will Rock You" in Las Vegas, trust me when I tell you that he does have the chops to sing Queen (as does his wife who co-starred in that show). I do agree however that there was something not quite right about his effort on Monday and I'm with Shedrock on the song choice. My feeling is that Vincent tried to do too much with it but that fortunately CeLo was able to cut through the vocal gymnastics and hear the potential of the real voice.
post #106 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Having seen Tony in "We Will Rock You" in Las Vegas, trust me when I tell you that he does have the chops to sing Queen (as does his wife who co-starred in that show). I do agree however that there was something not quite right about his effort on Monday and I'm with Shedrock on the song choice. My feeling is that Vincent tried to do too much with it but that fortunately CeLo was able to cut through the vocal gymnastics and hear the potential of the real voice.

Mercury set the bar so high, out expectations on a cover singer are very tough to meet .. Tony was straining and falling way short on the higher register, the stress in his voice very evident .. wrong key for him ..

Uncle Willie

post #107 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Tony's replacement:

post #108 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mercury set the bar so high, out expectations on a cover singer are very tough to meet .. Tony was straining and falling way short on the higher register, the stress in his voice very evident .. wrong key for him ..

I don't disagree. Something just wasn't right about the whole thing. What I can say is the night that we saw Tony in the show (at Paris, Las Vegas) he was money on every song that he did so his performance on Monday was definitely disappointing. Some of my daughter's theater buds (actors and dancers) had seen him in American Idiot on Broadway and praised him to the skies. Most of the critics' reviews of his performance, and especially his vocals, were outstanding. Go figure.
post #109 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't disagree. Something just wasn't right about the whole thing. What I can say is the night that we saw Tony in the show (at Paris, Las Vegas) he was money on every song that he did so his performance on Monday was definitely disappointing. Some of my daughter's theater buds (actors and dancers) had seen him in American Idiot on Broadway and praised him to the skies. Most of the critics' reviews of his performance, and especially his vocals, were outstanding. Go figure.

Brian May would not have used him if he was sustandard .. his performance on Voice was obviously an off night .. singers do have them .. fortunately, CeeLo saw thru that .. looking forward to more from Tony ..

Uncle Willie

post #110 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

I thought Tony sang the song fine, but my issue was with the choice of music. He took a 35 year old song (that has been played to death at sporting events), and sang it "note for note" exactly how the original artist did. There was nothing new or interesting about the performance. It is part of making the jump to "solo artist" from "cast member". He needed fresh material that isn't on the script, and he didn't display that.
post #111 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, how long before contestants catch on to the fact that pretty much everyone that's taken a known song and drastically changed it got a bunch of the judges to almost immediately turn around?
post #112 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought Tony sang the song fine, but my issue was with the choice of music. He took a 35 year old song (that has been played to death at sporting events), and sang it "note for note" exactly how the original artist did. There was nothing new or interesting about the performance. It is part of making the jump to "solo artist" from "cast member". He needed fresh material that isn't on the script, and he didn't display that.

I don't want to sound like I'm slamming your post, but you really should listen to the original and then replay his clip on line to compare .. Tony's attempt was far from note to note ..

Uncle Willie

post #113 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't want to sound like I'm slamming your post, but you really should listen to the original and then replay his clip on line to compare .. Tony's attempt was far from note to note ..

No problem, I went back and watched it again...and still don't see anything original that wasn't in the Queen version. But we are talking about opinions of art here, no 2 people are going to see the exact same thing.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xow...uditions_music
post #114 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:

Yeah, how long before contestants catch on to the fact that pretty much everyone that's taken a known song and drastically changed it got a bunch of the judges to almost immediately turn around?

The same amount of time it took a "Bachelor" contestant to discover that the quickest way to a man's heart is to go skinny-dipping with him. Which, if memory serves, is approximately nine seasons.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #115 of 465 Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brian May would not have used him if he was sustandard .. his performance on Voice was obviously an off night .. singers do have them .. fortunately, CeeLo saw thru that .. looking forward to more from Tony ..

When I think back to the stage production of WWRY, the problem on Monday may have been that Tony was trying for the full blown theatrical presentation of the song and that just might not have worked in a TV studio along with his probably having an off-night. I'm sure that when he watched the playback he was his own harshest critic and, hopefully, we'll get to see and hear him at his best as the season goes on.
post #116 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.wetpaint.com/the-voice/ar...Voice+(excerpt))

Uncle Willie

post #117 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like fun...

He said he was disappointed with early negative reactions from people affiliated with The Voice and Idol about his suggestion to have a "super finals" competition, which he described as a "musical Super Bowl."

"We're still up for it," Cowell said.
post #118 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Sounds like fun...

He said he was disappointed with early negative reactions from people affiliated with The Voice and Idol about his suggestion to have a "super finals" competition, which he described as a "musical Super Bowl."

"We're still up for it," Cowell said.

I'm sure he's up for it if he's in charge and on the panel .. but it is an interesting idea ..

Uncle Willie

post #119 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm sure he's up for it if he's in charge and on the panel .. but it is an interesting idea ..

My guess is there wouldn't be a panel. Simply a winner take all showdown. Perhaps three rounds and the winner is announced the next evening. I'm in.
post #120 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

My guess is there wouldn't be a panel. Simply a winner take all showdown. Perhaps three rounds and the winner is announced the next evening. I'm in.

so live vote audience only .. ??

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page