'The Voice' Season 2 on NBC HD - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'd definitely watch it if the format was fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

so live vote audience only .. ??

Two hour live show, contestants sing three songs, background on them, how they won and then overnight voting. Next night the champ is crowned... one hour live show. Rotate the show each year between sets (and networks) although I'd prefer a neutral playing field.
post #123 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Two hour live show, contestants sing three songs, background on them, how they won and then overnight voting. Next night the champ is crowned... one hour live show. Rotate the show each year between sets (and networks) although I'd prefer a neutral playing field.

I like it ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #124 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A "Super Final" will never happen. The only person who actually wants it is Simon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Cowell View Post

I thought it would be something different. They've [The Voice and American Idol] both bottled it for now, but I spoke to L.A. and we're both up for it. I don't know if it's ever going to happen or not. It kind of felt like the musical Super Bowl and I love that idea. But maybe we'll just have to compete in the Grammys or something going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post

He's so hell bent on competing with other shows. Adam continued, We're just kind of worrying about what we do cause we all know the more we worry about everybody else, the more the quality of what you're doing tends to suffer. So, we want to just do what we do.

Actually, a similar idea was tried once before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJsBigBlog View Post

One of the mistakes 19 Entertainment made early on with Idol Season 1 winner, Kelly Clarkson, was to have her compete on World Idol in 2003. She lost to Kurt Nilsen of Norway. That had to be embarrassing. There were no more World Idols after that. A few years ago, TPBT toyed with the idea of bringing back Idols to compete against each other again, but the really successful alums had no interest. OF COURSE.

post #125 of 465 Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

A "Super Final" will never happen. The only person who actually wants it is Simon.

Not that I disagree but Adam and some Blogger (yes I know many worship the site) have little or no influence as to what the suits do.
post #126 of 465 Old 02-24-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Posted this in the other thread. I find it weird they say the voice beats idol. They are not on the same night. We have no idea what the Voice ratings would be if it was on the same night Idol is and if Idol was not on the air. What competition does the voice have on Monday, The Bachelor? Not much on Monday anyway, I wonder how it would do on Tuesday/Wed. against other shows??

post #127 of 465 Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Posted this in the other thread. I find it weird they say the voice beats idol. They are not on the same night. We have no idea what the Voice ratings would be if it was on the same night Idol is and if Idol was not on the air. What competition does the voice have on Monday, The Bachelor? Not much on Monday anyway, I wonder how it would do on Tuesday/Wed. against other shows??

Voice will get major competition once DWTS comes back.
post #128 of 465 Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

You don't think it's two different demographics .. ?? In our household, we don't watch DWTS ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #129 of 465 Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

You don't think it's two different demographics .. ?? In our household, we don't watch DWTS ..

You can still compare the 18-49 demos. DWTS has one of the most dramatic differences in terms of its 18-49 ratings versus overall viewership. Last year it was getting in the mid 3s for 18-49, but in the 18-20 million range for total viewers. Compare that to The Voices numbers, which are currently around a 6 for 18-49, but 2-3 million less than DWTS in the overall numbers. The 18-49 ratings are by far the most important number in terms of how much revenue the show generates. In other words, while DWTS is healthy competition, it isn't the ratings giant (for 18-49) it used to be.
post #130 of 465 Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a guess, but I'd say a lot of DWTS' audience is watching The Voice.
post #131 of 465 Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

That is true, totally forgot that is on Monday's. Interesting to see how the ratings pan out when it comes back.

post #132 of 465 Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Dwts... Yuk!!!
post #133 of 465 Old 02-25-2012, 12:31 PM

Liked: 19
Like a lot of people I discovered this show after the Superbowl, what a great surprise. I've never been a fan of American Idol but I'm loving "The Voice".
post #134 of 465 Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

They've taken some really mediocre singers...and then tonight they pass on a guy who did a pretty damn good version of that Alanis song. I don't know what they were thinking.
post #135 of 465 Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

As the 12 selections are nearing the end for each coach, it seems they either act out of a small degree of desperation, wait too long to push the button, or become very selective ..

The Memphis Beale Street Bluesman should have been selected, IMO .. he was a great guitarist as well as a great vocalist .. every note was spot on ..

post #136 of 465 Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Rating down to a 5.4. Part of the blame goes to the rain delayed Daytona 500. I'm not convinced that ratings will hold up very well with this mediocre group of singers on display. I don't know that this show has much to offer after the blind auditions. There is also a certain appeal in "discovering" singers instead of recycling singers who have previously released music.
post #137 of 465 Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

As the 12 selections are nearing the end for each coach, it seems they either act out of a small degree of desperation, wait too long to push the button, or become very selective ..

The Memphis Beale Street Bluesman should have been selected, IMO .. he was a great guitarist as well as a great vocalist .. every note was spot on ..

Absolutely agree on the Blues singer. He might have had a "gravely" voice but he was perfectly in tune which is more than I can say for most of the singers this year. I keep wondering if they sound different in the live setting than they do over the airwaves. Most of them are either sharp or flat at times and can't hold a candle to many of last season's contestants.
post #138 of 465 Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Rating down to a 5.4. Part of the blame goes to the rain delayed Daytona 500. I'm not convinced that ratings will hold up very well with this mediocre group of singers on display. I don't know that this show has much to offer after the blind auditions. There is also a certain appeal in "discovering" singers instead of recycling singers who have previously released music.

- I don't think that a 10% drop against a special sporting event that drew 13.67 million viewers and a 4.5 (18-49) is bad at all. DWTS will not draw those numbers when it begins it's season.

- I'm very much looking forward to the Battle Rounds because they are all about coaching. What advice each coach will give, and how the performers apply that knowledge is interesting to me. Also, it really adds 8 new celebrities to the show.

- I have never heard of ANY of the contestants this season. The fact that one released 3 albums that nobody bought, or another was on the WARP TOUR in 2008, has no effect on me.

It's pretty obvious that you have a bias against this show, because almost everything you post is negative.
post #139 of 465 Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Absolutely agree on the Blues singer. He might have had a "gravely" voice but he was perfectly in tune which is more than I can say for most of the singers this year. I keep wondering if they sound different in the live setting than they do over the airwaves. Most of them are either sharp or flat at times and can't hold a candle to many of last season's contestants.

I thought his voice was perfect for the song .. I just could not believe he was not selected .. he would have been great on Blakes team .. Country would not be around if not for Southern Blues ..

As far as DWTS goes, after accidentally hearing who was on this season, I don't know how much competition Voice will get ratings wise from that grounp ..

post #140 of 465 Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think you and some others are missing the point of the show ..

To bring in a good number of singers that have tried and perhaps have a track record .. and then coach and work with them to improve a talent that each of the panel members feel is there and needs development ..

This is one of the reasons that the coaches at times encourage another coach to select .. because they feel the singer would be a good fit with that particular mentor .. as well as why Carson delivers invitations ..

And the battle rounds are much, much more interesting than the selection rounds .. we get to witness the talent develop (or not) .. and the coaches work with the talent ..

These are all some of the reasons I myself find the show compelling ..

post #141 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah the Battle Rounds were fun, but were dragged out too long last season. Hopefully they alter the timing of it this season. Either way it's much better than on X Factor where the "mentor" shows up for a few seconds of camera-time to pretend they're mentoring their singers, and then spend all of the live shows judging the other mentors instead of the contestants. I'm looking forward to seeing Kelly Clarkson help Blake's team.
post #142 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

They've taken some really mediocre singers...and then tonight they pass on a guy who did a pretty damn good version of that Alanis song. I don't know what they were thinking.

I have to say that I am not blown away by the selection this season like I was last season. I don't know if it's because we've seen this already, but no one person really excited me like they did last season. If I had to pick one, it would be that army chick who sang Pat Benatar, but seeing as how true rockers don't seem to be a favorite of this show (look at what constantly tops the iTunes charts from this show), she'll probably be gone quick.

As for that guy that sang Alanis, I wasn't as impressed as you were. It was okay, but it didn't blow me away. What I didn't like was his attitude when no one turned around. Total diva-esque. Hey dude, there's a reason why you are trying out for this show. It's because you haven't been good enough in the past to make it so stop acting like you are the greatest performer out there and giving them attitude about not choosing you.
post #143 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM

Liked: 12
would have helped him not choosing a "girls" song as well.. the judges were shocked he was a guy...
post #144 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I have to say that I am not blown away by the selection this season like I was last season. I don't know if it's because we've seen this already, but no one person really excited me like they did last season. If I had to pick one, it would be that army chick who sang Pat Benatar, but seeing as how true rockers don't seem to be a favorite of this show (look at what constantly tops the iTunes charts from this show), she'll probably be gone quick.

As for that guy that sang Alanis, I wasn't as impressed as you were. It was okay, but it didn't blow me away. What I didn't like was his attitude when no one turned around. Total diva-esque. Hey dude, there's a reason why you are trying out for this show. It's because you haven't been good enough in the past to make it so stop acting like you are the greatest performer out there and giving them attitude about not choosing you.

I'd agree on all counts other than the Army chick .. for straight singing, the Opera guy was great .. I don't know Opera from crap, however, his voice moved me .. of course, the chance of him willing is slim to none and slim just left town ..

post #145 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I'd agree on all counts other than the Army chick .. for straight singing, the Opera guy was great .. I don't know Opera from crap, however, his voice moved me .. of course, the chance of him willing is slim to none and slim just left town ..

Oh, don't get me wrong. Without a doubt the opera guy clearly has the best voice, hands down.

I was just saying I prefer the army chick because A) that's my type of music and B) she's HOT.
post #146 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

The Memphis Bluesman was one of my favorites. I kept hoping one of the coaches would turn around.
post #147 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

For attitude and annoyance factor, I would give him an F. For pure singing on that song, he gets an A. But the mentors were going on just the singing.
post #148 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy7 View Post

The Memphis Bluesman was one of my favorites. I kept hoping one of the coaches would turn around.

Would have loved to see him in the battle round. That dude was the real deal.
post #149 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy7 View Post

I think if it had been earlier in the selection process, he would be in ..

post #150 of 465 Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you and some others are missing the point of the show ..

To bring in a good number of singers that have tried and perhaps have a track record .. and then coach and work with them to improve a talent that each of the panel members feel is there and needs development ..

This is one of the reasons that the coaches at times encourage another coach to select .. because they feel the singer would be a good fit with that particular mentor .. as well as why Carson delivers invitations ..

I can't wait for Jessica Sanchez to be on the show in a few years. She'll probably need all that help after she fails post-American Idol, post America's Got Talent.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page