'The Voice' Season 2 on NBC HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The live shows will add a 1 hour results show on Tuesdays.

Quote:
NBC will commence live episodes of “The Voice” on Monday, April 2 (8-10 p.m. ET) and will expand the hit singing competition series to a second night with live elimination rounds beginning on Tuesday, April 3 (9-10 p.m. ET).

In addition, “The Voice’s” last live performance episode will be on Monday, May 7 (8-10 p.m. ET), with the season’s winner announced in the two-hour live finale on Tuesday, May 8 (8-10 p.m. ET).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

It works. That's why the numbers are up where they are. It's enjoyable to watch and listen to. Unlike "it, which shall go unmentioned".

The duet you pointed out was the highlight of the evening for me. The last two guys were exceptional. I wish the other duets were that good. But yeah, The Voice is a great concept that's being produced in a high quality way. Even when I dislike the performances, I'm still enjoying the spectacle, and a huge part of that is the people involved. On Idol and the show you dont want to mention, I fast forward through tons of the actual show. I don't do that at all on this one.

I'm still interested to see how they'll fare up against DWTS. I'm assuming if they lose any viewers to it, it will be the old people that they dont covet anyway.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

The duet you pointed out was the highlight of the evening for me. The last two guys were exceptional.

Yep.

Quote:
The Voice is a great concept that's being produced in a high quality way. Even when I dislike the performances, I'm still enjoying the spectacle, and a huge part of that is the people involved. On Idol and the show you dont want to mention, I fast forward through tons of the actual show. I don't do that at all on this one.

Me neither.

And... unlike the singing shows on FOX, the audio mixing on this NBC show is excellent. There actually is a center channel, the mics they are singing into work perfectly, and the overall audio quality is great. Somebody "out in the truck" knows his stuff. It certainly helps to not have a "Christians and the lions" thing going on out in the audience.

And let's also give due props to the house band. They make every cover sound like the original. Terrific.

Quote:
I'm still interested to see how they'll fare up against DWTS. I'm assuming if they lose any viewers to it, it will be the old people that they dont covet anyway.

I'm gearing up for my usual 2-week max seasonal viewing of DWTS. That's enough time for me to see all the celebrities dance twice, before the inevitable resistance to the rest of the show (including assorted fillers and Brooke Burke's backstage interviewing inanities) finally overwhelms me and I'm unconsciously forced to push "DELETE" on the series recording.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Your description of DWTS is all I needed to remind me of why my wife and I deleted it long ago.

I also agree about the house band. They sound great and there's none of that incessant audience screaming and yelling non-stop that Simon's show encourages.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:

Watch it, sonny .. I resemble that remark .. .. although I won't be tuning into DWTS

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I "can't wait" for the battle when the rapper on Christina's team decides to start rapping in the middle of some song and he gets through because it was original and fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Something tells me the rapper will not go far ..

I hope because he was one of those "also added" contestants that didn't get air time, you are correct.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

It works. That's why the numbers are up where they are. It's enjoyable to watch and listen to. Unlike "it, which shall go unmentioned".

The numbers are up in large part thanks to The Super Bowl. That introduced a lot of people to the show. If the concept of the show was so good then it wouldn't have fallen in the ratings during the first season like it did.

They're making a big mistake by airing another season of this in the fall.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Watch it, sonny .. I resemble that remark .. .. although I won't be tuning into DWTS

Sorry, Pops!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Significant drop in the ratings from last week to this week. And that is with the CBS shows still in repeats.

Quote:

NBC again won the night with adults 18-49 and total viewers led by The Voice, but its season low 5.1 adults 18-49 rating may have been whacked by Daylight Savings Time too, it was down 18% vs. a 6.2 rating last week. The half hour ratings for The Voice were: 4.5, 5.1, 5.3, 5.4.

The good news is that the ratings did rise throughout the night. Still, I suspect that the lackluster battle rounds have something to do with the fall.

Next week will probably see another drop in the ratings with new shows back on CBS and Dancing With the Stars coming back.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
The problem with the "Battle Rounds" is that if a judge makes an even match-up, then you feel bad for the eliminated contestant, but if it's a planned blowout, viewers get bored and the show appears "fixed".

Also, they have way too many contestants at this stage. Fourty eight singers means tons of deadwood that most of the audience can't even remember. Many of the contestants who did win their battle have little chance of actually winning the show.

When the show comes back in the fall, I would like to see 3 weeks of blind auditions, 3 of Battle, then the live shows. Give each team 8 or 9 members at the most.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

The problem with the "Battle Rounds" is that if a judge makes an even match-up, then you feel bad for the eliminated contestant, but if it's a planned blowout, viewers get bored and the show appears "fixed".

Also, they have way too many contestants at this stage. Fourty eight singers means tons of deadwood that most of the audience can't even remember. Many of the contestants who did win their battle have little chance of actually winning the show.

Excellent points.

Quote:

When the show comes back in the fall, I would like to see 3 weeks of blind auditions, 3 of Battle, then the live shows. Give each team 8 or 9 members at the most.

The Mark Burnett produced shows that I have seen typically don't make major changes in the format. I doubt much will be changed, unless they are forced to produce fewer episodes due to fewer available weeks in the fall.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Liked: 10
Never watched the show last year. Heard good things about it decided to give it a watch. Really glad I did through the blind auditions. Fun show. Battle rounds? Worst TV I have ever seen. Don't like a contestant on your team? Put them up against a stronger singer and give them a song so far out of their style or genre. Lop-sided blind-sided choices. Not so sure this shouldn't be audience judged, but surely shouldn't be judged by the team coach. Unfair.

Kevin Battenfield
Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I watched very little of lasts nights show. But I have to say, the rendition of Nirvana's song was HORRENDOUS. I thought both of them sounded terrible on that song.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Not much has changed from last season. Audition rounds are great. Battle Rounds are complete sh*t. But oddly enough still far more watchable than Idol/X Factor. I think that's mainly due to liking the mentors/judges more than on the other shows. The duets last night were mostly just bad. The live shows can't get here fast enough. At least on this show all the people I wanted to win got picked by their judge, whereas last week I think I only got 1 I wanted.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 91
by this point last year I had a few favorites I was rooting for, this year? Meh. No one catches my ear as an outstanding performer.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This show was good to start. Loved the blind auditions. Great idea. But I dumped out and canceled my season pass after that LONG and boring battle round. I'm out!

100% Digital household since 2001
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It would very difficult to match two contestants in a Battle Round that were each as perfect a match as possible .. any competion that requires elimination is going to have a stronger / weaker person .. as well, since the idea of the show is to find a unique voice, much of that is personal preference ..

Battle Rounds to me are like a single-elimination tournament, where the mentor chooses who goes forward based on the qualities they feel will best advance the contestant to the finals ..

And, no one should attempt to sing Kurt Cobain .. IMO ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

When they showed Lex in another of those horrendous Kia product placement segments, I was sure she was going to win just like RaeLynn last week. Guess they fooled me.

All of the battles except for one were awful to me, but Geoff vs Sera doing "Chain of Fools" was spectacular.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I wanted to like the Foster the People duet, but even that was crap. You can't take two people that sing completely different stylistically and have them sing together on a song that wasn't meant to be a duet and expect quality results. It's like Burnett heard the complaints about battle rounds last season and decided everyone else was wrong and he was right. Guess what, Mark. We're still right. Battle Rounds suck.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

There might be a brutal drop in ratings to one or more shows from last night. Considering the really weak cast, I'm going to predict Dancing With the Stars will be way down. The Voice would be doing really good to not fall more than 5% from last week.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

This was a pretty decent week, IMO. Especially the TRUE duet like I mentioned earlier. Now that worked like I wish all battles would.

There was one truly head scratching moment though. The battle between Erin and the Shields Brothers. What in God's name was Cee Lo thinking when he picked Erin? Now, I was in no way a fan of the brothers as I thought their audition sucked and they didn't even deserve to be there, but they were so much better than Little Miss Can't Pronunce A Word If My Life Depended Upon It. Seriously, half of her song didn't even sound like it was English. Hell, most of it didn't even sound human! That was absolutely atrocious, but once again Cee Lo thinks and chooses with his little head instead of his big one. Awful!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This was a pretty decent week, IMO. Especially the TRUE duet like I mentioned earlier. Now that worked like I wish all battles would.

There was one truly head scratching moment though. The battle between Erin an the Shields Brothers. What in God's name was Cee Lo thinking when he picked Erin? Now, I was in no way a fan of the brothers as I thought their audition sucked and they didn't even deserve to be there, but they were so much better than Little Miss Can't Pronunce A Word If My Life Depended Upon It. Seriously, half of her song didn't even sound like it was English. Hell, most of it didn't even sound human! That was absolutely atrocious, but once again Cee Lo thinks and chooses with his little head instead of his big one. Awful!

I have to agree .. in fact, the brothers blew her away musically .. the "Waynes World" stigma hurt the brothers, IMO .. but they gave the song a great rock twist .. and the harmonies were spot on ..

After CeeLo made the selection, I looked at my wife and said "Erin would perform nude if they would let her .. just to garner a spot " .. she is so glaringly full of herself it's not even funny ..

Although I will say she was rocking that outfit ..

Uncle Willie

Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, my prediction for next week, whoever is shown driving the Kia in that awful product placement crap will be eliminated.

The person shown driving in weeks 1 and 3 both advanced, but the person driving in week 2 was eliminated. If the pattern holds true, then whoever is in it next will be gone.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

The Voice has been quieted-Down another 13% this week. Although it was facing a lot of competition this week, it is pretty clear that the astronomical drop over the last two weeks is largely the result of people hating the battle rounds format.

Dancing with the Stars dropped 34% from it's spring season premiere last year-a drop in line with what is going on with American Idol.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

The Voice has been quieted-Down another 13% this week. Although it was facing a lot of competition this week, it is pretty clear that the astronomical drop over the last two weeks is largely the result of people hating the battle rounds format.

Dancing with the Stars dropped 34% from it's spring season premiere last year-a drop in line with what is going on with American Idol.

Personally, I could care less what the ratings are on any show .. I don't watch it for the ratings .. I watch a show because I like it ..

I like the Battle Round format .. it's a real was to actually compare .. I guess that places me in the minority as well ...

Uncle Willie

Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally, I could care less what the ratings are on any show .. I don't watch it for the ratings .. I watch a show because I like it ..

I like the Battle Round format .. it's a real was to actually compare .. I guess that places me in the minority as well ...

You should care if you want the show to continue in its current format. While Mark Burnett shows generally don't make major changes, I could definitely see something drastic being done in this case. At the very least they might reduce the number of battle round weeks. Also, it was the huge ratings during the blind auditions that helped NBC make the decision to bring the show back in the fall.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

You should care if you want the show to continue in its current format. While Mark Burnett shows generally don't make major changes, I could definitely see something drastic being done in this case. At the very least they might reduce the number of battle round weeks. Also, it was the huge ratings during the blind auditions that helped NBC make the decision to bring the show back in the fall.

Why .. ?? I have no sway over the fate of a TV show .. I'll enjoy it while it lasts, I won't worry about what may of may not be, and if it changes or gets cancelled, I'll adapt or move on ..

Uncle Willie

Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The Voice crushed all the competition in the demographic advertisers covet most. Huge win for NBC and the show.

From EW.com:
The big winner last night was The Voice (11.8 million, 4.5 — and, yes, as always, we’re going off the adult demo here because that’s what advertisers and networks, whether we like it or not, base their decisions on; obviously among viewers of a certain age, Dancing was more popular). The Voice has held up strong overall during its battle rounds so far and easily crushed Dancing, though last night’s episode slipped 13 percent. Smash (6.7 million, 2.3) was down 4 percent.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Voice crushed all the competition in the demographic advertisers covet most. Huge win for NBC and the show.

From EW.com:
The big winner last night was The Voice (11.8 million, 4.5 and, yes, as always, we're going off the adult demo here because that's what advertisers and networks, whether we like it or not, base their decisions on; obviously among viewers of a certain age, Dancing was more popular). The Voice has held up strong overall during its battle rounds so far and easily crushed Dancing, though last night's episode slipped 13 percent. Smash (6.7 million, 2.3) was down 4 percent.

"The Voice has held up strong overall during its battle rounds so far"
You be the judge-
Battle Rounds, Week 1-6.1
Battle Rounds, Week 2-5.2
Battle Rounds, Week 3-4.5
Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

There was one truly head scratching moment though. The battle between Erin and the Shields Brothers. What in God's name was Cee Lo thinking when he picked Erin? Now, I was in no way a fan of the brothers as I thought their audition sucked and they didn't even deserve to be there, but they were so much better than Little Miss Can't Pronunce A Word If My Life Depended Upon It. Seriously, half of her song didn't even sound like it was English. Hell, most of it didn't even sound human! That was absolutely atrocious, but once again Cee Lo thinks and chooses with his little head instead of his big one. Awful!

Quote:

I have to agree .. in fact, the brothers blew her away musically .. the "Waynes World" stigma hurt the brothers, IMO .. but they gave the song a great rock twist .. and the harmonies were spot on ..

After CeeLo made the selection, I looked at my wife and said "Erin would perform nude if they would let her .. just to garner a spot " .. she is so glaringly full of herself it's not even funny ..

Although I will say she was rocking that outfit ..

I'm in agreement with that, at one point my wife turned to me and said "SHE'S RUINING THE SONG!", Cee-Lo made that choice purely with his ****. Erin was terrible and pandered to Cee-Lo in every possible way. I did find it refreshing that Nee-yo (sp?) didn't put up with her doey-eyed pouty-lipped crap. I was so annoyed that Cee-Lo made that choice I almost stopped watching and contemplated canceling my season pass on it.