CBS This Morning on CBS in HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Well I guess it's time to retire one of the most underutilized threads on AVS, The Early Show thread.
This thread will probably be just as dead as the prior but for those few that watch it, now we have a thread.
Like the title says it will debut on 1/9/12 and be produced in 1080i HD. If it looks anything like the retired The Early Show it will be reference quality for HD
Now if I could only get Tivo(Tribune Media Service) to provide listings I'd actually know who the guests will be
Sorry I can't remember who was going to be on the pilot but I remember it was someone I'd like to see, so I've set it up to record.
Tribune use to give listings for The Early Show but stopped shortly after they went HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Charlie Rose, Gayle King, Erica Hill.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #3 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 284
What, Gayle King isn't enough guest for you? And, yeah, I'm being sarcastic. I'll watch just to stare at Erica Hill. But the choice of GK just baffles me. Maybe they hope that - just by hiring her - Oprah will drop by a lot.

But, now that you mention it, I didn't get a guest list. IF they're having guests. Supposed to be more newsy. By virtue of working for Cobalt Blue, I get every release under the sun, but nothing on this. Maybe it's a "surprise."

I'm checking.

Just watched the trio interviewed on today's "Early Show." Sounds like they plan to do longer interviews in a world of shorter attention spans.

Obviously, I wish success and would even if I didn't get a paycheck with an eyeball on it. I'm a newsaholic and I cringe at some of the useless segments the other two do. Honestly, I don't need souffle tips at 7 in the morning. Nor book authors who have never been up before noon in their lives.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I can't stand Erica Hill. I find her very annoying. Give me a 2 hour show with Rebecca Jarvis and Betty Nguyen.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Per CBS.com (where I had a heck of a time finding anything out about this new show)

"The new program's state-of-the-art, high-definition studio will feature cutting-edge digital technologies, and is on the ground floor of the CBS Broadcast Center."

Sounds interesting from a HD standpoint

While I saw a commercial last night announcing who the guests would be on the pilot, nothing about in on CBS.com
I wonder if Charlie Rose will continue his PBS daily show? While I like him on The Charlie Rose Show, I'm not thinking he's the best choice to attract a popular demographic(younger viewers)....time will tell.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Too much to expect, I guess, but if CBS could allow just a fraction of the discussions on the Charlie Rose interview shows it would make this startup stand out. Can't see them, though, interviewing at length, as Rose did (twice), the woman theoretical physicist from Harvard about the Higgs boson/CERN collider, multiple universes, etc. -- John
post #7 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"CBS This Morning" debuts Monday
January 7, 2012 5:53 AM
CBS is trying to give you a better morning with the all-new "CBS This Morning." Rebecca Jarvis speaks with Charlie Rose, Erica Hill, and Gayle King, the co-hosts of the program, about what viewers can expect.
Video: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...g=mg;earlyshow
post #8 of 17 Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'm wondering what the new 2013 CBS morning show will be like. Maybe it will be sooner in the fall of this year. As noted I wonder how this fare with the key demo. Charlie will bring substance, but I wonder how that would translate to a morning show. I doubt Gale will get her good friend on regularly. As incompetent as I thought Zucker was at running NBCU, he did well on Today. He would be great to get this show out of third place, but I don't think it's likely he would accept such a position. As for state of the art HD technology, my guess is more of the same. While technical quality is appreciated by viewers such as those in these forums, it hasn't been shown to improve ratings.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yada yada, yada yada............ How many times does CBS think it can rearrange the deck chairs on the Titantic? It's become very difficult to take ANY television newscast seriously.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll take a look if for only a couple of reasons. CBS does know how to do very nice HD PQ. I understand they've been tearing up the Broadcast Center for some time now, so it should be interesting to see the fruits of their labor.

The other item that may be worth tuning in is seeing what Charlie Rose looks like in the morning. Letterman was busting his chops the other day mentioning how Rose has a reputation of being something of a night owl, and Rose may roll in still lit up from the night before. Obviously Dave was having some fun, but Rose looks pretty hang-dog and bleary in the best of times, so I guess we'll see how reporting to work at 4:00am agrees with him. Frankly, I can get behind a guy that looks worse than I do in the morning and still appears on national television.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 89
they should have kept Harry Smith...
post #12 of 17 Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Gayle King is precisely why I won't be watching.

I like the idea of longer segments. Too often the segment just starts getting good and the host says "We're out of time...". This happens on all shows. My request is if you are going to cover a story, cover it. Don't try to squeeze something that should take 15-20 minutes into 5 minutes. You might as well just read me the headlines from the newspaper.

+1000 on the idea of Rebecca Jarvis and Betty Nguyen being on for two hours.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
post #13 of 17 Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Per CBS.com (where I had a heck of a time finding anything out about this new show)

"The new program's state-of-the-art, high-definition studio will feature cutting-edge digital technologies . . .

Ah, I see. So they're going to be using the CSI set...

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #14 of 17 Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Total quick and unscrutinized review:

PQ looked great, the set is nice enough, well lit, "warehouse-y". Kinda cool that they have the control room monitor feeds up on some plasmas on the set.

Rose didn't appear drunk. Gayle King may well have the highest testosterone count in the room. Erica Hill was born to do AM TV, (that's really not a compliment)

The big, round glass 'CBS Eye' table... sorry, I predict it will serve as a poker table in Les Moonves's home game room before the end of 2012. The problem is, it's so large when the hosts sit across from the guests or interviewee in a 'third of a pie' configuration, the guest is forced to move their eyes and face quite a distance to address them. Really makes 'em look shifty as well as seeming like they can't focus their attention on who's talking (actually, they can't) Maybe Charlie like the big round table thing, but it's staged completely different than his PBS program.

Nice try Tiffany Network, but you better amortize the construction costs in a hurry because that's the only way your not going to take a bath on this deal.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CBS has a morning news show?!

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
post #16 of 17 Old 01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The set looked nice but the format of the show is terrible. They should have kept the old show format and used the new studio. Probably gonna watch The Today Show from now on.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I remember the last time CBS revamped the show, the new hosts were on Craig Ferguson's show. I'm pretty sure they didn't do that this time around. I give it no more than 6 months before it's revamped again.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page