The Firm on NBC HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow! I can't believe how awful this show is. This was terrible, even by NBC standards.

The acting was horrible. It's like they only had time to film 1 take for every scene. Everyone acted overly melodramatic and emotional, like they were in a play, instead of a tv show. (And for the record, I don't blame the actors, except Juliette Lewis. I've seen a lot of them on other shows like Battlestar Galactica and Deadwood. I know they can do far better than this.)

I don't understand Tammy's character; the red head, played by Juliette Lewis. She kept making inappropriate, childish, and stupid, facial expressions and gestures throughout the episode. It seemed as if her character thought she was a pouty teenager, and not a 38 year old adult. Were we supposed to find her behavior funny or cute? I found her to be irritating.

The entire episode felt rushed. And I don't mean rushed in an action kind of way. I mean in the sense that the show just kept dumping information and expository dialog onto the audience. The show did nothing to make me care about any of the characters. I disliked and even hated a few of them. None of the conversations or character interactions felt real. They all felt like rushed actors reading from a script.

I found myself laughing out loud several times throughout the episode. None of my amusement was intended by the makers of this show. Every laugh was caused unintentionally by the show. Ridiculous plot points; stupid decisions by characters; fake witty artificial dialog; etc.

The show wanted me to feel tension and concern for the characters, but I just felt contempt or amusement.

I also hated the way they altered colors for the scenes in the present and the scenes for 10 years ago. The colors in the present are way too pumped up and bright. And 10 years ago looks too cold and dark.

The whole show has an amateurishness feel to it.

I generally give new shows at least 3 episodes before I bail on them. Not this one. I'm done.

I have no faith in NBC to turn this around. It's gotten so bad that whenever I hear the guy who does all the NBC promos, start talking about a show, my gut reaction is that it's probably crap. Every NBC promo, this announcer sounds all optimistic and excited about some new show. Lies. I give the show a try, and it ends up being the same old crappy NBC shows. NBC produces crap. Plain and simple. If NBC ever manages to turn around their network, they'll need to hire a new announcer to do promos for their shows, because I think that most people now associate his voice with NBC shows; and that's a bad thing.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
My wife and I enjoyed it and are looking forward to the next episode.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
This show is as bad as it gets. Top of his class at Harvard? Get real.
Not calling the police on the possible "hit" try is one of the stupidist moves ever made. No lawyer worth his salt ever, ever brings a non lawyer wife into the practice along with the other two morons who take up space. I could go on and on.

John Grisham should be ashamed. By the way, several of the plot ideas bear an eerie similarity to Grisham's latest book (THE LITIGATORS).

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #4 of 29 Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I must have been watching another show. Hey, it's TV, not a feature length movie. I just accept it for what it is, mindless entertainment. Didn't even notice the color changes.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #5 of 29 Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The color/contrast changes didn't bother me (not as much as the friggin' shakey cam). That's pretty standard when it comes to signaling time shifts. And I love Juliette Lewis, even here, because the rest of the cast is so bland (except the head bitch at the firm that you just want to slap ... I only pray there will be some major payoff with her ). I do agree about the conspiracy angle -- totally lame. I'll give it a couple more weeks, but all in all it reminds me why I seldom watch network TV.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-10-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I agree it wasn't that great. I will give it two more weeks, but I thought the plot was all over the place.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #7 of 29 Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I finally viewed my copy and thought it was so-so. The premise or execution was nothing to write home about and it won't replace The Good Wife anytime soon (if ever). I couldn't help but remember Swingtown every time his wife was on screen.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #8 of 29 Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If you watch the original movie, which sets up all these characters, you MIGHT cut the show a little more slack. Or, you might not, because none of the actors live up to their movie counterparts. These actors just don't inhabit the roles the way the movie actors did, you just don't believe any of them. So, you're just left with a gimmicky premise and a bunch of people you don't care about.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I tried. But I couldn't take it.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wasn't Mitch McDeere a tax attorney in the book? Now he is a criminal defense attorney after 10 years in the witness protection program? He is screwed regardless. His brother, and now his new boss are both skinjob Cylons!
post #11 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

Wasn't Mitch McDeere a tax attorney in the book? Now he is a criminal defense attorney after 10 years in the witness protection program? He is screwed regardless. His brother, and now his new boss are both skinjob Cylons!

I thought it was only 2 years. Didn't like the show, too hectic, jumping from scene to scene without the viewer having any idea of who the characters are or what they have to do with the plot. I just gave up.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
In complete honesty....watched the first 45 seconds and could not get past the cheese music.....deleted the series recording right then
post #13 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post

In complete honesty....watched the first 45 seconds and could not get past the cheese music.....deleted the series recording right then

me too.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night's episode was not much better. I may give this show another week or two, but it isn't looking promising. The sad part is the main story arc has some potential.

post #15 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I want to like this show...Something about Mitch, maybe it's the lisp, kind of annoying, His brother is better. The "Head Bit*h" is Tricia Helfer...What the He*l hap. to her??? Is it the make-up, or did she hit the wall in the last 3 months, HARD??? She is always the hottest lady on screen, big curve here. Still long and lean, though.
post #16 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

She's miscast, IMO. Too young and not enough gravitas to carry off the role. Nice legs, though

Agree about the brother. I'd rather see him in the lead. And I still like Juliette Lewis, but I think she's wasted a bit.
post #17 of 29 Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Watching it because I liked the movie but I'm about done with it. I've been trying out new 2012 shows and Alcatraz is the best so far. This show lost me with the "let's not tell the cops that a guy put a hit out on a kid" part.
post #18 of 29 Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
TV Notes
NBC Sends Firm' To Saturdays, Schedules New Drama Awake' In Thursday 10 PM Slot
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Feb. 3, 2012

After The Firm dropped to a new series low of a 0.8 rating among adults 18-49 last night that's got to be a historic low for NBC- the network is pulling the drama series from the Thursday 10 PM slot effective immediately. The acquired legal drama, a sequel to the John Grisham novel and 1993 movie, will continue its 22-episode run in the Saturday 9 PM slot starting next week.

Its place will be taken by NBC's midseason drama Awake, starring Jason Isaacs. The complex, reality-defying series about a detective who finds himself leading a double life will premiere March 1. In the interim, NBC will air Grimm reruns in the Thursday 10 PM hour.

Awake hails from creator/executive producer Kyle Killen and executive producer/showrunner Howard Gordon. 20th Century Fox TV is producing. It will be the third freshman drama NBC is launching in the Thursday 10 PM period this season following Prime Suspect and The Firm.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/nbc-...ay-10-pm-slot/

post #19 of 29 Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
NBC Sends Firm' To Saturdays, Schedules New Drama Awake' In Thursday 10 PM Slot
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Feb. 3, 2012

After The Firm dropped to a new series low of a 0.8 rating among adults 18-49 last night that's got to be a historic low for NBC- the network is pulling the drama series from the Thursday 10 PM slot effective immediately. The acquired legal drama, a sequel to the John Grisham novel and 1993 movie, will continue its 22-episode run in the Saturday 9 PM slot starting next week.

Its place will be taken by NBC's midseason drama Awake, starring Jason Isaacs. The complex, reality-defying series about a detective who finds himself leading a double life will premiere March 1. In the interim, NBC will air Grimm reruns in the Thursday 10 PM hour.

Awake hails from creator/executive producer Kyle Killen and executive producer/showrunner Howard Gordon. 20th Century Fox TV is producing. It will be the third freshman drama NBC is launching in the Thursday 10 PM period this season following Prime Suspect and The Firm.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/nbc-...ay-10-pm-slot/

wow, talk about banished...
post #20 of 29 Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
We're actually liking the Firm, doesn't matter to me what night it's on......Tivo will find it
post #21 of 29 Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
0.8? I guess I should miss this show.
post #22 of 29 Old 02-03-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

This is tough. I don't like it and kicked it to the curb, but knowing they only have a season might make it more interesting.

post #23 of 29 Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Will it even last the 22 episodes?
post #24 of 29 Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

SATURDAY ENCORES OF "FASHION STAR," "BETTY WHITE'S OFF THEIR ROCKERS" AND USA'S "FAIRLY LEGAL" WILL BUMP "THE FIRM" OFF NBC SATURDAY NIGHTS FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS: http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2012/...20120312nbc01/

post #25 of 29 Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess it wasn't to tough for me, because I haven't even given it a second thought.

post #26 of 29 Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow thats pathetic, it even gets bumped Saturday on night
I've got it on Season Pass so as long as it's not a repeat I'll get it
It's not a favorite but it's a decent show IMO
post #27 of 29 Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Just to make sure it's understood: "The Firm" will come back in a few weeks back to NBC Saturdays. The network has paid for all 22 episodes so it might as well air them even if it stretches the show's run into the summer. They're just pre-empting it to let NBC's new Spring shows (and one from sister network USA) have a little extra sampling.

post #28 of 29 Old 03-13-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks dad1153, I did get that out of your post. I just thought it was sad that even on a poor TV night like Saturday the Firm can't hold it's own I won't cancel my Season Pass just yet then.
post #29 of 29 Old 07-01-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It looks like the final two episodes will be shown in reverse order.

Stupidity, or another cruel NBC joke on the audience?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page