post #361 of 969 Old 03-23-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
From THR, Erika says-
Quote:
It was that and conflicting critiques from the judges, not her hair, that contributed to Van Pelt continually showing up in the bottom three, according to the singer.

STORY: 'American Idol' Recap

“First, I wasn’t doing enough, then I was doing too much. Then, not enough, then I was over-singing. I felt I could just never just sing and be myself,” she lamented.

In particular, that Van Pelt disagreed with judge Jennifer Lopez’s critique that she should have moved around more on “New York State of Mind.”

“For me, I certainly didn’t agree with the critique, mostly because I was singing ‘New York State of Mind.’ Anyone who’s seen Billy Joel sing this song has seen Billy Joel sit behind a piano the entire time and still sell it, and I thought I sang it to the best of my ability,” she told Idol Worship. “I was really, really connected to the lyrics. New York holds a special place in my mind. My cousin is a New York firefighter, and with the ties to 9/11... I was disappointed when she said that. I felt like she wanted almost a fake performance, so people thought I was singing harder than I actually was, which really didn’t seem correct to me.”

Lopez’s criticism became a sore point for Van Pelt -- which she described as a “hard pill to swallow.”

“She made several comments starting back at sing for your life that I wasn’t pushing enough,” the singer said. “I felt there were a lot of comments that contradicted week to week.”

Van Pelt also believes that she and roommate Elise Testone were at a disadvantage because they were the oldest finalists in the competitions, and the boys have an edge because teenage girls vote for the cute guys.

Additionally, Van Pelt believes the judges are suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome, because they used season 10’s save on Casey Abrams and as a result, had to lose Pia Toscano.

“I feel like they need to save it for an even crazier elimination,” she said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 969 Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 130
Yeah, they are going to save Yeejun......

Bobby 

post #363 of 969 Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Singing the songs of Fleetwood Mac would be a lot more interesting, but next week, with Stevie Nicks as a mentor, they are "singing the songs of their idols." In other words, they are being allowed to sing whatever they want.
post #364 of 969 Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

First, there is no way tonight's show was LIVE, right? There is no way they could keep changing around those stage setups and get everything right.

Second, we actually found singers who could make Madonna sound like a great singer. Ugh. Hollie was awful in that Madonna medly. And I noticed they protected Jessica Sanchez by not having her sing lead on any parts but the beginning of Like a Prayer.
post #365 of 969 Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It's funny how they comment on people's pitch issues but fail comment on the fact that Heejun's screwing up tons of words with his accent.

The collaborations were pretty bad and it was immediately obvious that the backing vocals were either coming from a recording or by a group of people behind the stage. Colton's choice of "inspiration" was as bland as his singing. God he's awful. Generic crap-rock voice. The little girl vote means he's destined for the finals, though. Stevie was kinda...wacky. In other words she was Stevie, I guess.
post #366 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Heejun continues to amaze me. Who's voting for this guy? He should have been gone ages ago. I didn't get DeAndre at all last night and Colton... who cares? I thought all of the girls were great, but Skylar's version of "Gunpowder and Lead" was just a bit over the top even for a country music fan like me.
post #367 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I guess the show was live. If so, good job by the production team. Having everything and everyone in place for each performance isn't easy, even if they were simple setups. This is a lot more than they used to do, and it also points up another WEAKNESS with this show. It used to be that the contestants were on their own to work up an audience. Now they are receiving a lot of help in that regard. Less attention on the actual singing/personality of the singer, more walking through doors. It's more manipulation by Nigel, and I expect we'll eventually hear singers complain about favoritism toward certain singers.

And then there are those trio performances, which is a big mistake. The only reason they are doing it is that they have that extra time to fill in the 2 hour time slot, and they can only fill it with so much boring fashion advice. The big problem is that people will vote on how a singer does in these performances. There is no way to separate them from the "official" performance when they are done the same night. I have a feeling that few people remember Holly's song, and a lot more remember Holly's off key rendition of Madonna that occurred later in the show, closer to voting time. Holly might be in trouble this week.
post #368 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Hollie's not going anywhere according to Dialidol. She received the most votes, slightly ahead of Phillip. Bottom 3 being Heejun, Deandre, and Jessica. Although Skylars vote count is similar to Jessica's.
post #369 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Hollie's not going anywhere according to Dialidol. She received the most votes, slightly ahead of Phillip. Bottom 3 being Heejun, Deandre, and Jessica. Although Skylars vote count is similar to Jessica's.

Are you sure you weren't on "vote for the worst" instead of dialidol?

It would be great if Jessica got the boot, although we all know that they would use the save on her, with J-Lo threatening to walk off the show if Tyler and Jackson didn't agree. It might be the only really interesting moment this show will have for the rest of the season.
post #370 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Vote For the Worst is championing Heejun for obvious reasons. If he goes, I'm sure next up is Deandre.

Props to Hollie for once again tackling a huge artist instead of playing it safe like Colton. Lifehouse? Oooooo so hard. I agree though that Jessica wont be going anywhere, and I'm not sure how accurate Dialidol even is anymore now that they're using Internet voting. I assumed Colton would be at the top, but Dialidol has him ranked about 5th.
post #371 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 396
The Good:

Elise Testone: There are a lot of guys who come on the show and swear up and down they are rockers. Elise's performance put 90% to shame.

Jessica Sanchez: She did what the other ladies on the show could not. Tell a story at a slow place without reaching.

Heejun Han: I love the song, and I liked his toned. I don't really care if some of the words aren't exactly perfect.

The OK:

Joshua Ledet, Phillip Phillip, and DeAndre Brackensick I did not hate any of their performances, but I did not love a lot of the song choices

The Boring

Colton Dixon: Totally forgettable this week.

The Can't really tell a story with their voices

Skylar Laine seemed to be fall into the background of that song

Hollie Cavanagh did not have it last night to just sing the song straight through.
post #372 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The great: Phillip and Elise
The brave but not so great: Hollie
The awful: Deandre, Heejun, Colton
The so-bland-I-cant-remember-them: Jessica, Skylar, Joshua

The group numbers were just bad. So so bad. Is Fox really so devoid of half-hour shows that they feel they have to stretch an already thin show?

My best guess for bottom 3 - Heejun, Deandre and Skylar with Deandre going home.
post #373 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The group numbers were just bad. So so bad. Is Fox really so devoid of half-hour shows that they feel they have to stretch an already thin show?

This is a direct result of the fall in ratings. Fox is trying to squeeze as much revenue out of the show as it can, even if the quality suffers. That is another 30 minutes (soon to be 60 minutes) that it can run commercials, without the expense of another show.
post #374 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The great: Phillip and Elise
The brave but not so great: Hollie
The awful: Deandre, Heejun, Colton
The so-bland-I-cant-remember-them: Jessica, Skylar, Joshua

My best guess for bottom 3 - Heejun, Deandre and Skylar with Deandre going home.

My guess for the bottom three (though it's not necessarily who I would choose) is Heejun, Joshua, and Elise based solely on the demographics of the people who vote. It became apparent last season when Pia was voted out early that this was a "contest" voted on mainly by young girls.
post #375 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

My guess for the bottom three (though it's not necessarily who I would choose) is Heejun, Joshua, and Elise based solely on the demographics of the people who vote. It became apparent last season when Pia was voted out early that this was a "contest" voted on mainly by young girls.

Unfortunately, I too am afraid Elise will be in the bottom 3, even may have the lowest votes. She's my favorite, but I have a feeling she will exit prematurely. This early in the competition, I doubt the judges will use their save, especially since she's been in the bottom so many times.
post #376 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Heejun committed what I think is the cardinal sin of AI last night...listening to the judges. Stick with what brought you this far in the first place, little bit of music, a little bit of humor. Let some other poor contestant get suckered by the judges into leaving their comfort zone.

Better to have picked something else Hathaway covered, Where is the Love. Could have made it funny/ironic by singing it especially to the judges.

Notice I said covered. Would it have killed someone to give credit to Leon Russell?

Likewise with Without You. Badfinger. Harry Nilsson. "You need to remember your singing a song sung by a woman" is what they told Ledet.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #377 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Once again I agree with pretty much everything Jimmy said. I guess that's why he's lasted so long in the business. His advice to Hollie is something she better heed or she's gone soon. The little girls are definitely in control of the votes, which unfortunately means for Elise she needs to kick the crap out of every song she sings every single week. I hope she does it, because at this point Elise and Phillip are far and away my favorites. Jessica is technically sound, but she comes off as a pageant kid. Colton is weak. Joshua strikes me as a church singer, Skyler bores me to tears, Hollie is fearless but also emotionless a lot of the time and is still making the mistake Pia made of doing nothing but ballads, Deandre is on the show about 5 years too soon. He's clearly uncomfortable. I think more years of seasoning would help him.

80s week next week. Could be a trainwreck.

Good riddance to Heejun. They told you to stop acting like a fool during the songs, not to strip yourself of all personality off the stage. What a stupid decision he made to become stoic at all times on camera. Really dumb.
post #378 of 969 Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

80s week next week. Could be a trainwreck.

I expect several singers will resort to singing remake versions, since they're cowards and/or unoriginal.
post #379 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure glad I was wrong about Elise and it was great that she was safe right away.
post #380 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Sure glad I was wrong about Elise and it was great that she was safe right away.

Yes, me too. Now if we can get rid of DeAndre next I'll be happy.
post #381 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I read the Wed. idol was up from last week and actually beat the ratings of all other competition on that night combined.

post #382 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I read the Wed. idol was up from last week and actually beat the ratings of all other competition on that night combined.

Technically that is correct. 5.1 last week to a 5.3 this week (after a .3 afternoon upward adjustment). But I could hardly call that "competition." The other networks didn't really compete, except for Survivor in the first hour. Not one other show with a rating over 2 except for Survivor, thanks to a bevy of repeats and weak "comedies." Also, keep in mind that Idol was still down over 30% compared to last year's March 30 performance show that garnered a 7.6 against better competition.
post #383 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Up about 2 percent from the prior week, but down about 30 percent from the prior year. Destroyed the season finales of Whitney and Chelsea and repeats on ABC and CBS.
post #384 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I will give them credit this year for no longer looking like the Merv Griffin show. They have really upped the production value. I wonder who got their attention...
post #385 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I will give them credit this year for no longer looking like the Merv Griffin show. They have really upped the production value. I wonder who got their attention...

I don't think many people use stage production as a fault against X Factor. Some people hate all the dancers, smoke, explosions etc, but I enjoy that part of it. Where X Factor fails miserably is in encouraging people to start yelling at the top of their lungs from the start of the show all the way until the end, and then the sound people dont compensate for this by upping the audio on the singers/judges. There's also relatively no ugliness between judges on Idol, whereas on X Factor its disgustingly ugly to the point where it takes away from the people performing. The Voice could use more stage production, imo.
post #386 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There's also relatively no ugliness between judges on Idol, whereas on X Factor its disgustingly ugly to the point where it takes away from the people performing.

On Idol there are three beyond bland commenters (at best). Perhaps a line or two per season that isn't repeated endlessly or without cliche. On that other show it isn't much better (perhaps with Paula gone it might be ). However I see no ugliness rather people somewhat willing to support their team. I guess I would call it passion... and find it much in the vein of what Jimmy does for Idol. He just doesn't have to play for one team.
post #387 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On Idol there are three beyond bland commenters (at best). Perhaps a line or two per season that isn't repeated endlessly or without cliche. On that other show it isn't much better (perhaps with Paula gone it might be ). However I see no ugliness rather people somewhat willing to support their team. I guess I would call it passion... and find it much in the vein of what Jimmy does for Idol. He just doesn't have to play for one team.

You can't compare Jimmy to the idiocy of the mentors on X Factor. X Factor mentors yap incessantly about what the other mentors song choice was or the production, or the clothing. Yawn. Talk about the performance. I would never disagree with you over the judging on Idol though. It's atrocious. At least Steven finally showed some cajones last week when he got pissed at Heejun. Jimmy's judging is so far beyond what's seen from the Idol/X Factor judges though. It's a shame they only show it after voting for that week is over. He's also hip to the fact that little girls are deciding who wins and loses Idol.
post #388 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can't compare Jimmy to the idiocy of the mentors on X Factor. X Factor mentors yap incessantly about what the other mentors song choice was or the production, or the clothing.

Of late Jimmy has yapped about song choices, clothing, and production for several contestants. Such as...

Too endless to pick one song
Hollie dressed all wrong
Joshua standing still

Better stated he said... It's the entire package and keeps harping on such.
post #389 of 969 Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of late Jimmy has yapped about song choices, clothing, and production for several contestants. Such as...

Too endless to pick one song
Hollie dressed all wrong
Joshua standing still

Better stated he said... It's the entire package and keeps harping on such.

Yeah, he judges everything about the singer. He doesnt judge Hillfiger. When he thinks a judge got it wrong, he's not an ahole about it like they do it on X Factor. Jimmy's feedback is actually useful, whereas the judges on X Facor are useless. It's not like I'm alone in that opinion. It's one of many reasons X Factor was reviewed so poorly and why it fell so far below expectations. If Simon wants to succeed in growing his lackluster show he'll need to tone down the ugliness and noise.
post #390 of 969 Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 201
So did Idol win Thursday night in the ratings or did Big Bang beat it? I was confused by the article that starts with Fox wins Thursday night with Idol.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page