'American Idol' Season 11 on FOX HD - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 969 Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I figured since Adam Lambert is now the new lead singer for Queen we would of seen him at least last night. I wonder why he wasn't there.

The queen tribute band sounded pretty good. Katy Perry sounded just awful and totally out of tune, that was pathetic.

Figured Elise would go home, being in the bottom 3 every single week, it was inevitable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 969 Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
That whole Katy Perry extravaganza was awful. The new Freddie Mercury clone was almost eerie in being a beefier version of the original down to the overbite, if not quite the voice, but who does? Elise leaving was no surprise, but for me, Phillips not being in the bottom 3 was. I really didn't think his performance would be popular, but obviously I'm not the demographic.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #573 of 969 Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

That whole Katy Perry extravaganza was awful. The new Freddie Mercury clone was almost eerie in being a beefier version of the original down to the overbite, if not quite the voice, but who does? Elise leaving was no surprise, but for me, Phillips not being in the bottom 3 was. I really didn't think his performance would be popular, but obviously I'm not the demographic.

Yeah, girls are deciding it all again. The bottom 3 was full of bad performances though, so I didnt have a problem with it. I would have preferred Hollie or Skylar leaving over Elise though since at least Elise is nice to look at, and even when she sings poorly it's palatable, whereas when Skylar destroys a song its almost unlistenable. Props to Jimmy for pointing out how completely stupid her 2nd song choice was.
post #574 of 969 Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Of all of the, "contestants make fun of each other" segments, was it just me or did the comments directed at Elise come off as more mean-spirited than playful as compared to the others? Seemed a little too aggressive, as in, this woman really is annoying to us with her stupid hand gestures and awkward giggling.

Being older I simply think she doesn't/didn't get treated with kid gloves as much as the others. Plus, she didn't quite fit into their group per se which is understandable.
post #575 of 969 Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Not surprised about Elise going home. Heck, I own the Axis:Bold As Love album. I've listened to the title track dozens of times and even I didn't recognize the song after Elise got through mangling it.

If Elise really wanted to do a song from the Axis album, either Little Wing or If 6 was 9 would be much better choices. Both of the have been covered by other bands so a lot more people have heard them compared to Bold as Love.

Plus Little Wing has lyrics which are easy to connect with even for people that are hearing it for the first time.

Or with If 6 was 9, she could have "let her freak flag", "cause she's got her own world to live through and she ain't gonna copy you". It's a perfect fit for her personality.
post #576 of 969 Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys are giving her too much credit. She was covering John Mayer covering Hendrix. Same exact arrangement that he uses. And for the judges to say people dont know the song is completely stupid since John Mayer fans know it, and there's a lot of them.

Elise's problem with that song is what she did to the vocals. It just sounded dreadful. Randy was right though. The song should be song bluesy by someone also playing guitar.

Mayer's version live:

Hendrix:

And here's the studio version of Elise. Holy s*** is it terrible.
post #577 of 969 Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

If Elise really wanted to do a song from the Axis album, either Little Wing or If 6 was 9 would be much better choices.

Obviously, it was a track she covered with her band and was comfortable with it... even had her band mate flown in. For me her biggest mistake was song choices. Being older she should have known better or caught on earlier... it's not like she could have won anyway but she could have lasted a while longer.
post #578 of 969 Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for posting the 3 arrangements, Skye. I enjoyed listening to all of them. Surprised myself by really liking the song when Elise did it on the show even tho I'd never heard it before. I would prefer she stay mellow throughout tho. LOVE her voice. I hope she cuts an album that suits her.
post #579 of 969 Old 04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlecat View Post

Thanks for posting the 3 arrangements, Skye. I enjoyed listening to all of them. Surprised myself by really liking the song when Elise did it on the show even tho I'd never heard it before. I would prefer she stay mellow throughout tho. LOVE her voice. I hope she cuts an album that suits her.

She has a beautiful, pleasant tone. A good producer could get a lot out of her.
post #580 of 969 Old 04-28-2012, 03:37 PM

She sure does. Has a great attitude too.
post #581 of 969 Old 04-28-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlecat View Post

She sure does. Has a great attitude too.

Felt like she was the only adult on the show this season.
post #582 of 969 Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Felt like she was the only adult on the show this season.

In a way she was. Much older than all the others. She managed to make herself unappealling to many people. She has a good but not great voice and her vocal interpretations were not that unique. I admit that the mid 70's to early 90's type rock doesn't appeal to me at all ( so Queen et al sound to me like noise, with a few melodic exceptions). Phillip Phillips is yet another that I find ok but not a particular musical type. Casey was far more musical if somewhat scary. To me he sounds the same in the sense of the dynamics of his rather weak voice. I personally find Jessica way above any of the others. Joshua has a very good natural talent but screams too much. Training will fix that. Hollie is interesting if only she stated in tune though the judges are totally biased when it comes to her and Joshua. They should really get rid of the judges and not the singers. A show that votes in someone like Taylor Hicks has something off. Putting a bee bopper over Melinda Doolittle years ago was absurd. I lost interest then, however Jessica and to a lessor extent Joshua has made the show interesting again. I quite like Skylar but she is not in the same league as those two, though I would rank her ahead of Phillip.

There is a lot of talent up there, except for the judges. If only they could find more like Jimmy. His analyses are usually very well thought out. The judges have nothing interesting to say at all. They seem to be obsessed with emotional connections. They should get their minds back to earth first.

Philip
post #583 of 969 Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
It really is amazing how bad all 3 of the judges are. Think how much money they are getting paid and then listen to their analysis. Baffling. You'd think they would be embarrassed every time they listen to Jimmy give insightful thoughts 500 times more coherent and on target then their "judging expertise".
post #584 of 969 Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

It really is amazing how bad all 3 of the judges are. Think how much money they are getting paid and then listen to their analysis. Baffling. You'd think they would be embarrassed every time they listen to Jimmy give insightful thoughts 500 times more coherent and on target then their "judging expertise".

Yes, I am surprised they aren't embarrassed. I usually skip through the ads when watching it from the pvr. I now feel like skipping through the judges' comments.

I don't know how they could replace all three at once but they have to do something. Both Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez seem to have a very strange knowledge of music. One wants to invent new terms for musical objects while the other one feels you have to be a dancer in touch with your inner soul in order to give a good performance. If I hear the "don't think" thing again I'll go crazy. They aren't singing jazz improvs. Sure they have to perform and reach the audience but it is getting annoying listening to this kindergarten psychology from JL and to God knows what from ST. As far as Randy goes, perhaps he is just burnt out.

They need at least one serious musician on there. Someone like Harry Connick Jr.

Philip
post #585 of 969 Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I remember when Harry Connick Jr was a mentor a few years ago and he was hilarious yet actually gave really good advice. Loved him. I was really hoping he would be a judge but they went a completely opposite and horrible direction.
post #586 of 969 Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Liked: 10
LoL - Joshua just sent my pup into a wild barking fit on his second song ( I liked it, just sayin...)
post #587 of 969 Old 05-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Holly took the night tonight. Wow, that girl can sing! - and has developed a real rapport with the audience.
Joshua is very good but loses me when he starts screaming.
Phillip is falling behind. I'm sad for him. Really like his quirkiness.
Who on earth let Jessica do Tina Turner?!?! Disaster! But her second song was gorgeous.
Skyler is good but I much prefer her doing country. Love her energy!
I miss Elise.
I think Jessica or Phillip will go home.
post #588 of 969 Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hollie - two solid performances and was the best in the trio song

Phillip - great first song, horrendous duet, and GOD AWFUL 2nd song.

Skylar - unremarkable first song in which she lost her breath running around. Screamed all the big notes in the 2nd song. The worst of the girls in the trio. Not every song needs a country twang. Just sing.

Jessica - butchered Tina Turner. Terrible. Complete crap in the trio, but still better than Skylar. Beautiful vocal on the 2nd song.

Joshua - bored by his first song, loved his 2nd song, was embarrassed for him and Phillip in that duet.

Phillip should go home for that 2nd song, but he won't. My guess is Hollie or Joshua going home, but Skylar, Jessica, or Phillip should be the one to go based solely on tonight.
post #589 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Quote:

Hollie - two solid performances and was the best in the trio song

Phillip - great first song, horrendous duet, and GOD AWFUL 2nd song.

Skylar - unremarkable first song in which she lost her breath running around. Screamed all the big notes in the 2nd song. The worst of the girls in the trio. Not every song needs a country twang. Just sing.

Jessica - butchered Tina Turner. Terrible. Complete crap in the trio, but still better than Skylar. Beautiful vocal on the 2nd song.

Joshua - bored by his first song, loved his 2nd song, was embarrassed for him and Phillip in that duet.

Phillip should go home for that 2nd song, but he won't. My guess is Hollie or Joshua going home, but Skylar, Jessica, or Phillip should be the one to go based solely on tonight.

I pretty much agree with your assessment except for Skylar. You obviously aren't a fan of country music and your "nagative" bias is interferring with your weekly reviews. I will agree, however, that Skylar was certainly not the best last night.

In my humble opinion, Phillip should definitely be the one to go home tonight, but I imagine the teenage girls will keep him on the show, proving once again that American Idol is not about who is the best singer, but who is the cutest boy.

Two weeks ago I wouldn't have given Hollie a chance in hell of winning, mainly because she didn't deserve it. However, I think she easily won the night last night with Joshua a close second. Unfortunately, I also agree with you that they are the two most likely for the chopping block.
post #590 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I found most of the sounds boring and not suited for the singer. Which just highlights what I have said all along, they continue to make these singers sing songs in a style that they would never ever do on their own. To force someone to sing 60's tunes when they will never ever do that again is just wrong and hurts the voting for that singer because they can't do it justice nor do we want to hear them singing in that style. They need to let these people sing whatever they want and let them show us what they think is their best.

post #591 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I pretty much agree with your assessment except for Skylar. You obviously aren't a fan of country music and your "nagative" bias is interferring with your weekly reviews. I will agree, however, that Skylar was certainly not the best last night.

I'm most definitely not a fan of country music. But that has nothing to do with my assessment of Skylar. She spends far too much time running around when she should be focused on her vocals. She has too much of a tendency to scream her big notes instead of sing them, which she did on her second song last night. And if you can sing, there's absolutely no need to add a stylized twang to every song. Sometimes a rock song is just a rock song. The heavy reliance on that affectation (or any for that matter) annoys me.

She or Hollie will probably go home tonight, but the person that most deserves to go home is Phillip. That 2nd song was one of the worst in the history of the show. And his duet with Joshua was a crime. I get the impression that the producers are doing their best to push for a female winner, which is why they had Ryan point out Phillip's girlfriend in the audience, as if to say "sorry ladies, he's taken." Unfortunately that doesnt deter little girls. They knew Kris Allen was married and they still voted for him.
post #592 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Which just highlights what I have said all along, they continue to make these singers sing songs in a style that they would never ever do on their own. To force someone to sing 60's tunes when they will never ever do that again is just wrong and hurts the voting for that singer because they can't do it justice nor do we want to hear them singing in that style. They need to let these people sing whatever they want and let them show us what they think is their best.

I completely agree in principal however in virtually every case if they were allowed to sing whatever they wanted they would have to shorten the season by 50% or more. Such as Phillip which pretty much does what he wants... sings the same song even if it isn't. Unless you are a big fan of his you get bored real quick... been there done that.
post #593 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm not surprised at the "kids" on the show not knowing some of the songs they sing or ever even hearing of them. However, I was a bit surprised when Jennifer said she had never heard "The Letter" by the Boxtops and was even more surprised when Steven said he wasn't familiar with "Bleeding Love" by Leonia Lewis. Heck, I'm close to his age and I've heard that song multiple times and now even have it on my iPod.
post #594 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I hearby pledge to end my criticism of Philip singing every song in exactly the same way. He proved last night why he does that. The two times he tried to sing songs "straight" last night pointed out that he's just not up to it. His performance in that duet was excruciating.

Of course, it's easy to pledge that when I think he's going home.

I thought the trio performance by the girls was really good. The only one that I would be surprised if they went home tonight would be Skylar. I think the country vote is too strong.
post #595 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

I can't believe how comfortable on stage Hollie seemed last night. I have always liked her voice, but she always seemed so awkward and nervous up there. She really got past the nervousness last night and performed very well.

I still don't like Joshua, but I thought he really brought it last night - his vocal style is very well suited to those older tunes.

Skylar is, well, Skylar. I think you know what you are getting from her by now. I personally like her vocals and wonderful stage presence, but I agree last night wasn't her best.

Jessica again sounds OK, but I still find her stage presence overly rehearsed and unnatural. Can't stand her vibrato either.

I like Phillip, but man, he was bad last night. I almost get the impression he is content getting this far and would be happy if he was sent home now. He may get his wish.

Bottom two are Phillip and Jessica.
post #596 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm most definitely not a fan of country music. But that has nothing to do with my assessment of Skylar. She spends far too much time running around when she should be focused on her vocals. She has too much of a tendency to scream her big notes instead of sing them, which she did on her second song last night. And if you can sing, there's absolutely no need to add a stylized twang to every song. Sometimes a rock song is just a rock song. The heavy reliance on that affectation (or any for that matter) annoys me.

She or Hollie will probably go home tonight, but the person that most deserves to go home is Phillip. That 2nd song was one of the worst in the history of the show. And his duet with Joshua was a crime. I get the impression that the producers are doing their best to push for a female winner, which is why they had Ryan point out Phillip's girlfriend in the audience, as if to say "sorry ladies, he's taken." Unfortunately that doesnt deter little girls. They knew Kris Allen was married and they still voted for him.

Here is an assessment from another American Idol 2012 blog:

"Based on tonight's performances alone, Phillip deserves to go home and Joshua deserves to win. While Hollie is making an effort to get back in this thing, there is no way she will be singing in the finale. Jessica and Skylar both had one solid performance and one ok one. I would imagine they will both make it through the week, but who knows in this crazy competition. Personally I am rooting for Skylar to take the crown. Not sure how realistic this is, but I would love to see her get a hometown visit!"
post #597 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Here is an assessment from another American Idol 2012 blog:

"Based on tonight's performances alone, Phillip deserves to go home and Joshua deserves to win. While Hollie is making an effort to get back in this thing, there is no way she will be singing in the finale. Jessica and Skylar both had one solid performance and one ok one. I would imagine they will both make it through the week, but who knows in this crazy competition. Personally I am rooting for Skylar to take the crown. Not sure how realistic this is, but I would love to see her get a hometown visit!"

Another assessment is their tracks on iTunes. Skylar has by far the fewest ratings on her tracks from last night (single digits when I checked), and the lowest overall rating. Obviously the opinion on her will differ based on your love of her style, which I despise since it sounds so forced and fake, but others find that pleasing. Phillip's second song last night sounded terrible live. On iTunes it actually sounds quite good. Skylar sounded pretty bad and screechy last night, but somehow she once again manages to sound worse in the studio.
post #598 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought Hollie did really well on both songs. Joshua was boring on both and in particular that Bee Gees 2nd song was really not deserving of a standing ovation. In fact it was terrible. Philip was worse and ruined "She's not There" showing that he can't sing. Skylar was ok but she doesn't have a nice tone to her shouting in my opinion and I love country music. Jessica's 2nd song put her miles above any of the other contestants even of the judges are doing everything they can to put her down. Overall they did not do a great job on the songs and chose poorly.

The notion of Jessica being overly prepared is just plain crazy. I know the judges keep trying to imply that but none of these singers are jazz artists. If Jessica doesn't win this, then there's something wrong with the show. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't though. Crazier things have happened with Blake beating out Melinda Doolittle years ago. Pretty talented bunch of singers left though. Still fell the rankings should be

Jessica>> Joshua>Skylar>Hollie>Philip

The judges should stop throwing around this mark of a real artist bit.

The most deserving to go home are the judges. Pathetic group. I don't know what is wrong with them. Wasn't impressed with Jimmy's sidekick. Then again I didn't care for the Sopranos.

Philip
post #599 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

IMHO, its PP that should have done Joe Cocker for his first song.
Joshua butchered (in a bad way) the BeeGees song.
I was favoring Jessica but have now moved on to Hollie. She just keeps getting better.
Steven Tyler should go home for not knowing Leona Lewis' Bleeding Love.
post #600 of 969 Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

...The notion of Jessica being overly prepared is just plain crazy. I know the judges keep trying to imply that but none of these singers are jazz artists. If Jessica doesn't win this, then there's something wrong with the show. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't though. Crazier things have happened with Blake beating out Melinda Doolittle years ago. Pretty talented bunch of singers left though. Still fell the rankings should be

Jessica>> Joshua>Skylar>Hollie>Philip...

Jessica will not win this thing. American Idol is a TV reality competition based on singing. ie. TV reality competition first, singing second. It has never really been otherwise, so I don't know why some of you have such a problem with that after all these years - it is what it is.

What Pia found out, and Jessica will soon discover as well, is that viewers want you to be honest with them. The voters want to see you spill your guts out, both while performing and also in the Lythgoe contrived video shorts. Pia was a good singer, but did everything she could to hide her emotions from the cameras. Pageant judges want that, TV viewers don't. Elise suffered from that as well - she was just much too guarded and thus came across as a little cold.

Jessica is similar in that she comes across as disingenuous on camera because she is too image conscious. Also, the whole diva alter-ego thing is a big turnoff and something she hasn't earned yet. Good singer, though.

Joshua, Skylar, Hollie, and Phillip come across as much more honest and thus I think one of them will eventually win this thing.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page