post #631 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I happened to catch the latest The Voice since it was repeated and my DVR grabbed it. To me the team captains weren't judges. At best they appeared to be life coaches giving false praise regardless of any actual facts... completely boring beyond reality.

They're a lot more likeable any other competition's "judges." That said, they still sugar coat their opinions way too much. At least they aren't phony like the AI trio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

They're a lot more likeable any other competition's "judges."

Likable and watchable are two completely different things. I loved to watch The Sopranos but I never liked any of them...

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #633 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I happened to catch the latest The Voice since it was repeated and my DVR grabbed it. To me the team captains weren't judges. At best they appeared to be life coaches giving false praise regardless of any actual facts... completely boring beyond reality.

Yeah, but you prefer the singing show where the judges feign disdain for one another's choice of clothing and staging. The one huge advantage The Voice has over the other shows is their panel. And if the reports are correct, the X Factor's panel is getting appreciably worse this season. Poor Simon.
post #634 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Yeah, but you prefer the singing show where the judges feign disdain for one another's choice of clothing and staging.

I see no reason to get worked up over any of the judges... I pay them very little attention and for every plus someone finds someone else will find a negative. Regarding the said show what I prefer is the mentors brought some diversity (whether they are to my liking or not) to the contestants which apparently has been copied to some extent by The Voice this year and their stage production. Which has influenced all of the shows this year.

I happen to prefer certain aspects of each show. However bashing one show in an attempt to make another look better is beyond silly and so easily dismissed.

| 
|
|
|
post #635 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see no reason to get worked up over any of the judges... I pay them very little attention and for every plus someone finds someone else will find a negative. Regarding the said show what I prefer is the mentors brought some diversity (whether they are to my liking or not) to the contestants which apparently has been copied to some extent by The Voice this year and their stage production. Which has influenced all of the shows this year.

I happen to prefer certain aspects of each show. However bashing one show in an attempt to make another look better is beyond silly and so easily dismissed.

X Factor is easy to bash. Its a loud, ugly, and quite often fake "talent" show. The damn show allowed contestants to lip-synch their damn save-me songs. It doesn't get worse than that. But what's worst of all is that Simon went from being an honest judge on Idol to a lying, fake piece of crap on his own show. Stereo Hogz, according to Simon, "are the greatest band in the world now. I'm not kidding, the greatest band in the world." He then voted to kick them off the next week. Ahhh integrity.
post #636 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

X Factor is easy to bash.

That's your negative. Here's a random plus...

So Melanie Amaro came into our lives Thursday night (Sept. 22) on "The X Factor" and it was incredible. She didn't need the crappy auditions to stand out amongst - she would've stood out up against the best any show like this has ever seen.

After she was done with Beyonce's "Listen," Nicole Scherzinger choked out, "This is why I do this, people like you inspire me" and Paula said, "You have a unique ability unlike anything we've heard. I don't think it's like anything I've ever heard in any audition I've ever been in."

Simon capped it off with, "When I was asked by people why I was bringing this show to America it was because I hoped we were going to find someone like you."

At some point one realizes things (these silly shows) are simply different. They aren't black or white just like people... even Simon.

| 
|
|
|
post #637 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

My problem with X Factor is that its biggest plus should have been Simon, but he turned out to be as big a joke as the production of his show. Why can't he be the same honest evaluator of talent that he was on Idol? I'm happy so many people called him on it. Maybe he'll change. I doubt it, though. He's a parody of himself now.
post #638 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why can't he be the same honest evaluator of talent that he was on Idol?

I never saw him as some wise man on Idol delivering sermons. Also, not for one moment do I believe what they say within a matter of a few seconds covers what they really feel about a contestant. It would be impossible to relay such in the given time. Much like a few random bullets points from pages of notes... what's why I give it no importance. Heck often comments have nothing to do with the actual performance.

| 
|
|
|
post #639 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I like part of all 3 shows. Regarding the "judges", on AI they are just that, and are not supposed to be mentors or cheerleaders, so I don't care for many of their comments. At least Simon was honest with them for the most part and offered some constructive criticism.
Although there was some good music at times on X Factor (which is what I hope for when I watch these shows), my problem with it is that Simon et al are supposed to be mentors, but go too far in the direction of bashing other mentor's contestants which ruins the feedback part of the shows.
The team mentors on The Voice seem to strike a better balance, but there are some other flaws in the show, such as the battle rounds. They end up pairing up some good singers which decreases the chance of them having the best ones continue on.
In the latter stages of the competitions, I think it's fairer to keep the best singers, not just the best in each team.
post #640 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never saw him as some wise man on Idol delivering sermons. Also, not for one moment do I believe what they say within a matter of a few seconds covers what they really feel about a contestant. It would be impossible to relay such in the given time. Much like a few random bullets points from pages of notes... what's why I give it no importance. Heck often comments have nothing to do with the actual performance.

You're fooling yourself, or deliberately lying, if you think Simon then and Simon now aren't completely opposite. He used to honestly respond to what he heard, and now he's declaring a bunch of lip-synchers are the best band in the world. He's ridiculous now, and a joke, whereas before people hated him, but at least they respected him. And as he goes, so goes his show. And right now his show is the absolute worst here, and it took a huge fall in the UK too.
post #641 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Even though I liked Kellie Pickler in Season 5 she was unable to sing a song in tune. She was beautiful but a terrible singer. For some odd reason she now seems to be able to hold a tune. Either she has had extensive training or there is some way to auto tune in real time. Bucky of that season wasn't to my liking.

I still think this year had really good singers.

I have never really looked at the Voice but I quite liked the X-Factor, especially the two finalists.

Philip
post #642 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Even though I liked Kellie Pickler in Season 5 she was unable to sing a song in tune. She was beautiful but a terrible singer. For some odd reason she now seems to be able to hold a tune. Either she has had extensive training or there is some way to auto tune in real time. Bucky of that season wasn't to my liking.

I still think this year had really good singers.

I have never really looked at the Voice but I quite liked the X-Factor, especially the two finalists.

Philip

Of the three most recent iterations of these shows, X Factor was far and away the worst in terms of talent. The final 2 were really good though, but getting through all the crap to get to them was rough (although it was funny when the little girls freaked out when booted). Idol has a few competent singers. The Voice has by far the better singers, but not always better performances. The most memorable performances have come from The Voice though (opinion). The format of The Voice prevents a real connection being made to most of the singers, which is something I don't think the producers care much about.
post #643 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, there is no shortage of singing shows which is great for unknown singers. Given that this is about American Idol, does anyone have a prediction as to who the final 3 will be? In other words, who is going to leave this week?

Philip
post #644 of 969 Old 05-06-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Final 3 - Phillip, Jessica, Joshua unless Joshua or Jessica fall completely on their ass this week.
post #645 of 969 Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think they want Joshua to win so bad that they'll be willing to play the "illegal botnet generated votes" card to make certain he makes it to the final.

I doubt they'll need to, since it seems like both Holly and Jessica both tend to get fewer votes than Joshua on a regular basis, but I don't doubt they'll do it if by some fluke it's needed.
post #646 of 969 Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I think they want Joshua to win so bad that they'll be willing to play the "illegal botnet generated votes" card to make certain he makes it to the final.

I doubt they'll need to, since it seems like both Holly and Jessica both tend to get fewer votes than Joshua on a regular basis, but I don't doubt they'll do it if by some fluke it's needed.

Are you forgetting about Phil? Something, who knows what, is keeping him alive. I have a sneaking feeling that he's going to win this thing. Yeah, I know it's the little girls that vote.

Bobby 

post #647 of 969 Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Are you forgetting about Phil? Something, who knows what, is keeping him alive. I have a sneaking feeling that he's going to win this thing. Yeah, I know it's the little girls that vote.

Yeah, if the last performance wasn't enough to stop him nothing will. As far as young girls go don't they buy most of the music? If so then it makes sense that they should choose the winner.

Philip
post #648 of 969 Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Philip

Back then it was a lot more difficult for country singers on the show. As for Kellie Pickler, she was a VERY raw talent at the beginning of the show. Just watch the following 9 minute 51 second edit of all of her AI performances. Not that great in the first few songs. But she really took off beginning with "Walkin' After Midnight." And who would have thought that she could pull off "Bohemian Rhapsody?" I would certainly rather hear her sing it than hear another soulless effort from Jessica Sanchez. That being said, at the time Season 5 originally aired I didn't think Pickler was all that great either. That is because her competition was so good.
post #649 of 969 Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of the three most recent iterations of these shows, X Factor was far and away the worst in terms of talent. The final 2 were really good though, but getting through all the crap to get to them was rough (although it was funny when the little girls freaked out when booted). Idol has a few competent singers. The Voice has by far the better singers, but not always better performances. The most memorable performances have come from The Voice though (opinion). The format of The Voice prevents a real connection being made to most of the singers, which is something I don't think the producers care much about.

Rachel Crow gave the best singing performance on the show-only 14 years old, singing for her life when she was in the bottom 2. That was NOT lip synching. Jessica Sanchez was absolutely awful doing her "save me" song, so bad that J-Lo ran up on stage to stop her.
post #650 of 969 Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rachel Crow gave the best singing performance on the show-only 14 years old, singing for her life when she was in the bottom 2. That was NOT lip synching. Jessica Sanchez was absolutely awful doing her "save me" song, so bad that J-Lo ran up on stage to stop her.

Jessica's the most unremarkable "best singer in America" I've heard in a long time. Rachel was good for a 14 year old. I wouldnt compare her best performance to the best Idol/Voice performances. She's a cute kid, but she's not a great singer. Yet.
post #651 of 969 Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm no Jessica fan, but I was rather intrigued that she picked a Deborah Cox song to be sing for her life.

Jessica and Hollie both have the same problem--no soul. I really hate saying that about a wannabee R&B singer and an English girl.

By natural law both have to have soul!
post #652 of 969 Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Sorry to say the show has jumped the shark for my wife and I....loyal viewers from season 1 until "Queen" week this season.

I told my wife a couple weeks ago I wouldn't be watching next season and I figured she (being a more devoted fan of AI than me) would want to see this season through.

This weekend going through our DVR recorded list she said "delete all the AI's - I don't care who wins any more". I guess it was a good run, but for the reasons others have already stated (bad judging (except for Jim I.), bad song selections, etc) it's over.
post #653 of 969 Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

If I had to pick one singer from this bunch it would be Hollie, based on her recent performances.
post #654 of 969 Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Back then it was a lot more difficult for country singers on the show. As for Kellie Pickler, she was a VERY raw talent at the beginning of the show. Just watch the following 9 minute 51 second edit of all of her AI performances. Not that great in the first few songs. But she really took off beginning with "Walkin' After Midnight." And who would have thought that she could pull off "Bohemian Rhapsody?" I would certainly rather hear her sing it than hear another soulless effort from Jessica Sanchez. That being said, at the time Season 5 originally aired I didn't think Pickler was all that great either. That is because her competition was so good.

This lacking of soul, feeling, etc ... about Jessica is just something being subtly pushed by the judges and people who don't care for her type of melodic singing in tune, etc ... I guess it is subjective, but I am a very big country fan. Kellie Pickler is certainly not what she was when she first came on AI. I listened to every one of her performances that year. She just couldn't hold a tune. That is, her pitch was all over the map. She sounds good now though.

Anyway, I do understand that many people find that Jessica sings without emotion. I don't. Then again I am not a big blues or rock type. I don't particularly care for over the top runs along the Joshua or Adam Lambert or that rock guy they had singing from last year with his band. I simply dislike non-melodic music. Always have. It's kind of like people who liked the Beatles who didn't like the Rolling Stones (not to say they didn't have great songs). Of the remaining 4 only 3 can sing as far as I can tell. Haven't heard many original Phillip songs so I don't know if he is a good songwriter. All I know is he has very limited vocal capabilities and yet he will probably win. I guess that should be comforting to Bob Dylan type poets. No vocal ability required. Perhaps they can have Leonard Cohen give a master vocal class.

They don't have many songs to choose from but if I were Jessica I would pick the two hardest well known vocal pieces available and go for broke ( even if both are ballad like). The California Dreaming theme may make that hard to do.

I would like to see Joshua and the two girls as the top three and a Jessica vs Joshua finale, but I don't think it will happen.

I don't know what to make of Hollie as she now seems different than all her previous performances. She seems very capable though.

Philip
post #655 of 969 Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jessica's the most unremarkable "best singer in America" I've heard in a long time. Rachel was good for a 14 year old. I wouldnt compare her best performance to the best Idol/Voice performances. She's a cute kid, but she's not a great singer. Yet.

Rachel sang a totally inappropriate Etta James song (very well though) but was otherwise unappealing to me. Jessica is a truly talented singer at the level of Celine Dion in her teens. In fact I prefer Jessica to Celine, even though I really like Celine Dion.

Philip
post #656 of 969 Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rachel sang a totally inappropriate Etta James song (very well though) but was otherwise unappealing to me. Jessica is a truly talented singer at the level of Celine Dion in her teens. In fact I prefer Jessica to Celine, even though I really like Celine Dion.

Philip

And where do you rank Pia on that scale?

Jessica has performed some of the songs very poorly. Are you just ignoring those performances? The great singers are consistently good, even on songs that don't match their voice the best.
post #657 of 969 Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 181
As a singer, Pia was a hot chick.

She was good and maybe even consistently good, but she wasn't outstanding apart from maybe a performance or two. That's what I remember about her, anyway. Unless you meant Pia Zadora.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #658 of 969 Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

This lacking of soul, feeling, etc ... about Jessica is just something being subtly pushed by the judges and people who don't care for her type of melodic singing in tune, etc ... I guess it is subjective, but I am a very big country fan. Kellie Pickler is certainly not what she was when she first came on AI. I listened to every one of her performances that year. She just couldn't hold a tune. That is, her pitch was all over the map. She sounds good now though.

Anyway, I do understand that many people find that Jessica sings without emotion. I don't. Then again I am not a big blues or rock type. I don't particularly care for over the top runs along the Joshua or Adam Lambert or that rock guy they had singing from last year with his band. I simply dislike non-melodic music. Always have. It's kind of like people who liked the Beatles who didn't like the Rolling Stones (not to say they didn't have great songs). Of the remaining 4 only 3 can sing as far as I can tell. Haven't heard many original Phillip songs so I don't know if he is a good songwriter. All I know is he has very limited vocal capabilities and yet he will probably win. I guess that should be comforting to Bob Dylan type poets. No vocal ability required. Perhaps they can have Leonard Cohen give a master vocal class.

They don't have many songs to choose from but if I were Jessica I would pick the two hardest well known vocal pieces available and go for broke ( even if both are ballad like). The California Dreaming theme may make that hard to do.

I would like to see Joshua and the two girls as the top three and a Jessica vs Joshua finale, but I don't think it will happen.

I don't know what to make of Hollie as she now seems different than all her previous performances. She seems very capable though.

Philip

For what it's worth (and off the subject), I absolutely am a huge Leonard Cohen fan.
post #659 of 969 Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And where do you rank Pia on that scale?

Jessica has performed some of the songs very poorly. Are you just ignoring those performances? The great singers are consistently good, even on songs that don't match their voice the best.

Pia was excellent. I really liked her. Unfortunately she was voted off really early and couldn't be saved as they had already saved Casey who seemed to me to be a really talented person far above Phillip. For the life of me I couldn't understand that. I have to say I do prefer Jessica over Pia but it is a bit harder to compare as Pia is older.

Jessica has indeed performed song choices that I didn't like. Proud Mary, for example, is one of those despicable pieces that actually hides a person's ability to sing. Most of these few chord songs are things she should stay away from. Proud Mary was a low point. I have also noticed that she wasn't great in group pieces. No one is perfect but to me she is far better than anyone up there.

Great singers can have a bad night. Michael Buble on AI a few years ago, when he filled in for Tony Bennet , sounded drunk.

Everyone has different tastes. It is pop music and so there are elements that are hard to classify. The remaining 4 are very talented and 3 of them can actually sing well. I guess I just have to accept that AI is not a singing competition. As I have said, the real people who should go are the judges except for Jimmy.

Philip
post #660 of 969 Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

For what it's worth (and off the subject), I absolutely am a huge Leonard Cohen fan.

Ah a true poet at heart. It pains me to say, coming from Montreal, that I have never cared for him.

Philip
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page