'American Idol' Season 11 on FOX HD - Page 23 - AVS Forum
First ... 21  22  23 24  25  ... Last
HDTV Programming > 'American Idol' Season 11 on FOX HD
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 03:21 PM 05-09-2012
Where is Tom Waits when you need him .. ??

And calling "Proud Mary" despicable is despicable in and of itself .. John Fogerty would wax anyone on this season, hands down .. and at his age ..

skyehill's Avatar skyehill 03:35 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

As a singer, Pia was a hot chick.

She was good and maybe even consistently good, but she wasn't outstanding apart from maybe a performance or two. That's what I remember about her, anyway. Unless you meant Pia Zadora.

Pia can sing. Pia can't perform though, and that's why she left so soon. Week-in and week-out she showed up, nailed herself to one spot on the stage, and sang well. There's thousands of singers currently singing backup or in coffee houses that can do that.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 03:47 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Pia can sing. Pia can't perform though, and that's why she left so soon. Week-in and week-out she showed up, nailed herself to one spot on the stage, and sang well. There's thousands of singers currently singing backup or in coffee houses that can do that.

Lack of charisma has killed more performers than anything else .. and made mediocre performers super-stars .. and it's not really about moving around and what not .. it's that secret ingredient you just can't fake ..
Candlecat's Avatar Candlecat 05:22 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Lack of charisma has killed more performers than anything else .. and made mediocre performers super-stars .. and it's not really about moving around and what not .. it's that secret ingredient you just can't fake ..

I thought Phillip had that until last week. Wonder what happened. Hope he gets his mojo back even tho I don't think he's as good a singer as the others. He was fun to watch.
skyehill's Avatar skyehill 05:47 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlecat View Post

I thought Phillip had that until last week. Wonder what happened. Hope he gets his mojo back even tho I don't think he's as good a singer as the others. He was fun to watch.

On a couple of occasions he didn't appear in the Ford advertisement. I'm assuming that when Jimmy keeps saying Phillip is sick, he means it. I'm willing to cut him some slack for last week, but I still think it's a crime that he was the worst by far but didnt make the bottom 2.
allargon's Avatar allargon 08:34 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlecat View Post

I thought Phillip had that until last week. Wonder what happened. Hope he gets his mojo back even tho I don't think he's as good a singer as the others. He was fun to watch.

His second song was darned good tonight. Everyone's first song sucked. Everyone but Hollie delivered on their second songs. The group number and duets were horrible, too.

I was one of Hollie's biggest fans, but I'll join the chorus saying it's time for her to come back to Texas.

Jessica almost--almost had some soul with her last song. She should've gotten a bit more inspiration from Joshua. His rendition of "Man's World" is how you put some stank on a song.

I would even purchase Philip's rendition of "Volcano." It was nice to get some train wrecks plus some good singing tonight.

An Idol episode I actually enjoyed? Wow!
Candlecat's Avatar Candlecat 08:37 PM 05-09-2012
OK, Skye, you gotta admit that Phillip was awesome on Volcano tonight. Perfect song for his voice. That girl singer and cellist with him were perfect as well. I thought it the best of the night.
Joshua nailed It's a Man's World although he just isn't my cup of tea. I thought he was fantastic on that one. Not so much on You Lift Me Up.
Hollie was good on her first song but sadly didn't connect on her second song. You could see it in her face that she knew it wasn't there and I felt so bad for her.
Jessica did pretty well til she over sang I'm Telling You. Yipes. Re: her first song - Call me old fashioned but a 16 year old singing a smoky bar song hits me as just wrong.
I think either Jessica or Hollie is going home.
skyehill's Avatar skyehill 08:39 PM 05-09-2012
I'll be buying Phillip's rendition of Volcano off iTunes when it gets put up. It was that good. Probably the best performance of the season.

Jessica lacks soul, but fortunately for her Hollie was worse on the 2nd song. Hollie was infinitely better than her on the duet, but I doubt voters take the duets seriously. Joshua lost me completely on both songs. All he did was remind me of how great Juliet on The Voice sang Man's World.
pmcd's Avatar pmcd 11:32 PM 05-09-2012
Really good show. Didn't care for the duets and the first songs were alright, but Hollie was better there. The 2nd songs, except for Hollie, we're really good. Phillip gave a really good performance of Volcano. Jessica was just fantastic and, even though I can't stand 3 chord blues, Joshua was excellent. I was really impressed with Phillip although I still feel he has a very limited vocal ability. He was really good tonight. What a difference with last week. I hope Joshua, Jessica and Phillip make the final 3 but at this point things are hard to predict. I still feel that Jessica and, to a slightly lessor extent, Joshua are way above the other two but I have to admit they all did really well. Be interesting to see what happens.

Philip
filtor's Avatar filtor 01:40 AM 05-10-2012
The whole night stunk on ice ... what a bunch of dung. AI has achieved a 'new track record' for ET tonight for a two-hour show cut down to about 15mins thanks to DVR and the skip button.
pmcd's Avatar pmcd 02:01 AM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Where is Tom Waits when you need him .. ??

And calling "Proud Mary" despicable is despicable in and of itself .. John Fogerty would wax anyone on this season, hands down .. and at his age ..


Well there comes a time when trivial harmony finally gets to you. We aren't talking about George Benson, Lenny Breau and many others who dare to stray beyond 3-chord songs. "Proud Mary" had its time. Nice rhythm and feel to it. Musically uninteresting and something which hides rather than showcases a person's abilities. You couldn't pay me enough to listen to it, by any singer.

I get that pop music doesn't require musical virtuosity, but there are limits to how low it should be. Since pop music is very subjective you have to understand that some people don't care for the category of songs that Proud Mary falls into. Geez, if it had interesting lyrics that might redeem it but ...

Odd as there aren't too many songs that annoy me. That just happens to be one and my favourite singer on the show had to pick it....

philip
Venomous's Avatar Venomous 02:32 AM 05-10-2012
Yeah this is definitely my last season if they don't replace jlo. Steven Tyler has been getting on my nerves too. I feel AI is getting a bit cheesy with performances,mgroup singing and duets.

Last night sucked too. My wife did more skipping across the dvr then a rock skipping across water.

I bet Hollie gets sent home. Judges and producers have a funny way of skewingmth votes toward the end anyways. Remember in season 7 or 8 where that hot Irish chick was voted off? She clearly was the best singer and a major threat.. However, the hate train started on her too.
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 06:08 AM 05-10-2012
This is the first time I've said this all season, but I thought Phillip was great, especially on Volcano. And, Joshua blew me away with It's a Man's World. That was one of the best (or maybe THE best) performance ever on American Idol.

Sorry, Hollie, we'll miss you because I fear you'll be heading home tonight.
skyehill's Avatar skyehill 06:55 AM 05-10-2012
Last night:

Phillip - Good on the first song, great on the second song. Better than Joshua on the duet, which is surprising to me since he's terrible at high notes and all Adam Levine sings is high notes. They adjusted the song perfectly for his voice. Listening to Joshua on the iTunes pre-recorded version hurts my ears.

Hollie - She hung on longer than most people though she would, but it's time to go now. She bored me on Faithfully, and then bored me again on her second song. Judges praised her first boring performance and then nailed her on the other, as if there was a huge difference. She's the lamb they're constantly trying to sacrifice.

Joshua - Sang two songs I like and ruined them both with his need to add a litany of non-musical sounds. Just concentrate on singing the songs well. Jeez.

Jessica - first song was laughably unbelievable and fake. She's 16. Someone needs to be giving her better advice. She can't pull a mature song like that off. Her second song was like someone took Whitney and Jennifer Hudson, blended them up, and then strained all the soul out of what was left. She's like a little singing robot. By the numbers, no soul, a dash of Beyonce imitation here and there. Yawn.

Jessica got destroyed by Hollie on the duet, but neither were great.

Here's Juliet singing Man's World on The Voice a couple weeks ago. In my opinion, she completely blows Joshua out of the water.




Venomous's Avatar Venomous 11:31 AM 05-10-2012
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who finds Jessica fake. A singing robot is a great analogy. People wanted a replacement for someone who can take songs written by actual artists, then sing them (aka, whitney houston) , Jessica is that person. Down here we see tons of signs "vote for Jessica", it's sickening.

I've been rooting for Phillip all along... I hope he wins it. We will see tonight.
rsambuca's Avatar rsambuca 11:51 AM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who finds Jessica fake. A singing robot is a great analogy. People wanted a replacement for someone who can take songs written by actual artists, then sing them (aka, whitney houston) , Jessica is that person. Down here we see tons of signs "vote for Jessica", it's sickening.

I've been rooting for Phillip all along... I hope he wins it. We will see tonight.

Whoa, Venomous, let's bring it down a notch here! I am not a Jessica fan either, but just because some people like her it is far from 'sickening'. What did she do, kick your puppy?

I think Jessica's biggest problem is that she is obviously a very good mimic, in addition to having a decent voice. She probably doesn't realize she does it, but everything she does is an impersonation of Beyonce/Whitney/Mariah/whomever. Jessica has been doing it so long I don't think she really knows who SHE is anymore. I think it would be an excellent exercise for her to sing some original tunes so that she can try and just be herself for a change. It would go a long way to making her a decent artist, because she does have a good voice.
spid's Avatar spid 11:57 AM 05-10-2012
Jessica is only sixteen, and has not sang a song from this decade in probably three weeks. There is something wrong with that equation.

I thought they all finished strong, but all them were a bit off with their first solo songs. I rewound Joshua's Man World's three times. There was a lot more control in his vocals and his style choices than when I originally thought.
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 12:10 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

She probably doesn't realize she does it, but everything she does is an impersonation of Beyonce/Whitney/Mariah/whomever. Jessica has been doing it so long I don't think she really knows who SHE is anymore.

I think Jimmy's comment about Phillip was right on. Up to a certain point you are influenced by other artists more than by yourself. Hopefully, at some point you mature enough to become an artist rather than a singer. As such expecting these kids to meet or exceed the performance level of superstars is beyond silly. I can't fault them for not having the life experiences to live a song. Heck even Elise (at her ripe old age of upper twenties) had a difficult time.
rsambuca's Avatar rsambuca 01:00 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I think Jimmy's comment about Phillip was right on. Up to a certain point you are influenced by other artists more than by yourself. Hopefully, at some point you mature enough to become an artist rather than a singer. As such expecting these kids to meet or exceed the performance level of superstars is beyond silly. I can't fault them for not having the life experiences to live a song. Heck even Elise (at her ripe old age of upper twenties) had a difficult time.

I certainly don't expect any of them to meet or exceed any of these established superstars, so I don't know where you got that from. Holly is also very young, but when she performs (even the bad performances) they come across as an expression of Holly. Yes, she was guilty of over thinking things - walk here, look at this camera, look at that camera, etc - but all of her performances came across as genuine expressions of herself. None of Jessica's performances come across as genuine in any way. Same as Pia. As you said, influence by others is fine, impersonation isn't.
Jarod M's Avatar Jarod M 01:11 PM 05-10-2012
No one is mentioning that "alter ego" that Jessica brought up one week. It really reeked of desperation on her part to try to show some hint of personality that she doesn't really have.
Mac The Knife's Avatar Mac The Knife 01:26 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Ah [Leonard Cohen] a true poet at heart. It pains me to say, coming from Montreal, that I have never cared for him.

Philip

Yes great choice for a master class on writing lyrics, but a terrible choice for a master class on vocals.


rsambuca's Avatar rsambuca 01:32 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

No one is mentioning that "alter ego" that Jessica brought up one week. It really reeked of desperation on her part to try to show some hint of personality that she doesn't really have.

As abhorent as that BBChez thing was, I don't really blame Jessica for that as much as I blame Nigel and the producers. That whole diva/alter-ego is one of those things that is fun for a young 16 year-old girl. Parents, family, and friends think it is hilarious because they know Jessica. To anyone else, it is eye-rollingly bad. Nigel should have known better than to air that.
Jarod M's Avatar Jarod M 01:43 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

As abhorent as that BBChez thing was, I don't really blame Jessica for that as much as I blame Nigel and the producers. That whole diva/alter-ego is one of those things that is fun for a young 16 year-old girl. Parents, family, and friends think it is hilarious because they know Jessica. To anyone else, it is eye-rollingly bad. Nigel should have known better than to air that.

Do you have some inside info on this? Doesn't Jessica have her own "handlers" who are advising her, rather than just Nigel? Considering that she has been groomed for years for such an appearance (it started a long time ago if the America's Got Talent bid was any indication), I find it difficult to believe that this wasn't a calculated decision by Jessica's inner circle.
rsambuca's Avatar rsambuca 01:50 PM 05-10-2012
Obviously no insider info from up here in Canada! But Nigel and the producers can air it or not, their choice.
curtis0620's Avatar curtis0620 02:03 PM 05-10-2012
Bottom 2 have to be Jessica and Hollie
Gmichael2's Avatar Gmichael2 02:26 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis0620 View Post

Bottom 2 have to be Jessica and Hollie

But I don't like either guy in the least. I'd have them on the bottom.
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928 02:51 PM 05-10-2012
Actually it's Holly and Phil....
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 03:06 PM 05-10-2012
"Hollie" not "Holly."
Venomous's Avatar Venomous 03:22 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Whoa, Venomous, let's bring it down a notch here! I am not a Jessica fan either, but just because some people like her it is far from 'sickening'. What did she do, kick your puppy?

I think Jessica's biggest problem is that she is obviously a very good mimic, in addition to having a decent voice. She probably doesn't realize she does it, but everything she does is an impersonation of Beyonce/Whitney/Mariah/whomever. Jessica has been doing it so long I don't think she really knows who SHE is anymore. I think it would be an excellent exercise for her to sing some original tunes so that she can try and just be herself for a change. It would go a long way to making her a decent artist, because she does have a good voice.

America's got talent didnt like her and I don't either. She has the typical karaoke performance with the most annoying falsetto I've heard in a long time. She was being paraded around and her head blown up too high by everyone as being the winner of season 11 by the time the top 10 rolled around. She has no personality either. Look at how fake she is to the other contestants. I think it was a wasted save.

She doesn't sing music a 16 yr old should be singing. But in the end, if she is the winner, she will be nothing more than a Whitney Houston who can't write her own songs and music. We want an artist, not a puppet.

I Even saw jimmy frothing at the mouth a few weeks ago. They look at these contestants as $$ signs. Who's the one making all of the money in all of this... The record company... They tell the judges who is the most marketable contestant and thats who the judges push each week. Jimmy lost a bit of his soul when it went to interscope.
Maltby's Avatar Maltby 06:27 PM 05-10-2012
-I would pay money not to hear You Lift Me Up ever again. For some reason it reminds me of a bad imitation of Danny Boy.

-I agree with Randy that Jessica and Joshua could sing the phone book. Problem is that they can take a song and make it sound just like their version of the phone book.

-Sorry to see Hollie go. It never pays to take the catagories seriously. Pick a song you can sing the hell out of and tell them it inspired you cuz you can sing it really well.

-My Idol dream performance: contestant sings "Send In The Clowns" and as they sing the line "Quick, send in the clowns" walks over to the judges, gestures to them and then finishes the song, "Don't bother, they're here. "

-Thanks to Jessica for getting me look up Etta James. I would have never known that she thought Minnesota Fats was her father.
First ... 21  22  23 24  25  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop