post #721 of 969 Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

You have reached a new low. You can't take a rock and turn it into a diamond in a few years. The guidance, lessons from experienced vocal coaches and management is exactly what you would do with a talented person.

Don't know much about Autotune. Surely it can't make anyone sound good?

Philip

Maybe not a diamond, but she can be turned into a front for several hit songs. Pin-up girl Samantha Fox had three top ten hits in the U.S.-and this was before autotune. And there are plenty of examples of so-called singers who couldn't really sing, but were pretty enough to overcome that obstacle thanks to a lot of help. Jennifer Lopez and Paula Abdul are two examples. This is the state of pop music, and it's been this way a long time, and it became worse with autotune. It might help to have talent, but sometimes talent is far from the biggest factor in success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 969 Old 05-11-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake14mw View Post

I could see him being a male version of Jennifer Hudson, without an Oscar.

Or an African American Adam Lambert if you catch my drift. The gaydar is registering a 6 out of 10 on this dude.

100% Digital household since 2001
post #723 of 969 Old 05-11-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Just do a quick search on youtube for 'dog autotune'. It can make a husky sing in tune, so it should work with JLo too!

They've auto-tuned farts to the point of it sounding musical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

Or an African American Adam Lambert if you catch my drift. The gaydar is registering a 6 out of 10 on this dude.

This is offensive! He's clearly not gay, and the proof was last night when he said JLo speaking spanish was a turn-on. Clearly not gay...right? Anyone? No one? Yeah, not buying it either.
post #724 of 969 Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

At her age I think she should have plenty of chances. Now once you start rounding towards thirty it's a different story. Overall, I don't have a lot of use for older contestants if they have been shopped around for a decade or so. At least if they have had any success at all.

I never watch these shows for the singing (note I'll never say this or that person can sing (or not sing) ) rather the reality aspect. As such you want someone to be discovered, watch them mature, etc.

Where does Susan Boyle fit in your scenario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I had to fast forward through the David Cook song. Who writes all of these awfully cliched songs for the ex-contestants? Same with the "J-Lo" song. Both just bad bad bad. Good use of live auto-tune though, the only possible way she could ever carry a tune.

I was a solid fan of Cook while he was a contestant on AI, and was required to sing songs of genres I liked and appreciated. His Music Of The Night was remarkable, for instance. It was the rock stuff he preferred, when given an open opportunity to choose, which I did not like. His offerings since the show have left me cold, although the one this week was better. I note that he has announced a parting of the ways with his old label this week. Was he under the thumb of the AI producers and found a way out?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #725 of 969 Old 05-11-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

They've auto-tuned farts to the point of it sounding musical.

This is offensive! He's clearly not gay, and the proof was last night when he said JLo speaking spanish was a turn-on. Clearly not gay...right? Anyone? No one? Yeah, not buying it either.

and what does anyone's sexual preference have to do with one's ability to sing well..... Lambert has consistently filled stadiums all over the world while many of the rest fill nightclubs.....

Bobby 

post #726 of 969 Old 05-11-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

and what does anyone's sexual preference have to do with one's ability to sing well..... Lambert has consistently filled stadiums all over the world while many of the rest fill nightclubs.....

Just an observation. Too feminine. We'll see.

post #727 of 969 Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

I just wanted to chime in here. Jessica doesn't sing music a 16 year old should sing because if she were a typical 16 year-old singer she would be singing "Friday, Friday, Friday". She has prodigious vocal abilities, and she needs songs that reflect those abilities. What would you have her sing?

Bull, she sings old songs and wrecks them. She is nothing more then a professional karaoke singer in my book. She needs to sing the teeny bop junk that's currently hip.
post #728 of 969 Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Where does Susan Boyle fit in your scenario?

I was a solid fan of Cook while he was a contestant on AI, and was required to sing songs of genres I liked and appreciated. His Music Of The Night was remarkable, for instance. It was the rock stuff he preferred, when given an open opportunity to choose, which I did not like. His offerings since the show have left me cold, although the one this week was better. I note that he has announced a parting of the ways with his old label this week. Was he under the thumb of the AI producers and found a way out?

I liked David cook as well. I dont like his current music. Not sure what happened there. David archuletta is someone I only saw singing Disney songs.

Quote:

I liked David cook as well. I dont like his current music. Not sure what happened there. David archuletta is someone I only saw singing Disney songs.

Adam was really good, we liked him a lot. Seems like we keep getting some talent here out of San Diego regardless.
post #729 of 969 Old 05-11-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On Idol, being gay isnt an option. Adam was advised not to talk about his sexuality. And how many other contestants do you know of that discussed their homosexuality? Doing so is a death sentence.
post #730 of 969 Old 05-12-2012, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On Idol, being gay isnt an option. Adam was advised not to talk about his sexuality. And how many other contestants do you know of that discussed their homosexuality? Doing so is a death sentence.

Just like having a warrant Sorry didn't meen too ruffle your feathers there sir.

post #731 of 969 Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Bull, she sings old songs and wrecks them. She is nothing more then a professional karaoke singer in my book. She needs to sing the teeny bop junk that's currently hip.

agreed. she's (usually) a good technical singer but other than that she's about as interesting as a rock. her songs are also becoming increasingly obnoxious each week, filling in for skylar I suppose.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #732 of 969 Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They're allowed to talk about alter egos, as long as they aren't gay alter egos!

This is another aspect of the show that adds to the phoniness. Has an "openly" (at the time) homosexual singer ever made the top 10 of this ridiculous show? Not that I remember.
post #733 of 969 Old 05-12-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

They're allowed to talk about alter egos, as long as they aren't gay alter egos!

This is another aspect of the show that adds to the phoniness. Has an "openly" (at the time) homosexual singer ever made the top 10 of this ridiculous show? Not that I remember.

Not as presented by the producers of the show. They think it will scare off the viewers. They're probably right when it comes to a specific demographic.
post #734 of 969 Old 05-12-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

agreed. she's (usually) a good technical singer but other than that she's about as interesting as a rock. her songs are also becoming increasingly obnoxious each week, filling in for skylar I suppose.

Please, she isn't a good technical singer. She's a good duplicator, meaning she doesn't even have her own sound..she copies beyonce and the rest of them.

If I run across free tickets to a smokey old broken down bar lounge in vegas to see Jessica sanchez, I'll be sure to send them to you.
post #735 of 969 Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Please, she isn't a good technical singer. She's a good duplicator, meaning she doesn't even have her own sound..she copies beyonce and the rest of them.

If I run across free tickets to a smokey old broken down bar lounge in vegas to see Jessica sanchez, I'll be sure to send them to you.

Well, as usual you are just so positive in your musings. It's hard to take anything you say seriously. Unfortunately the anonymity of the Internet gives every dog and cat a forum to pontificate.

Philip
post #736 of 969 Old 05-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My wife & I used to like this show. But for the last 2 years it stinks. I miss Simon. Granted, Simon was a bit over-the-top but, beyond his insults, his critique usually hit the nail on the head. If the contestants could handle his critique they became contestants. While J-Lo & Steven offer lots of praise, they seldom offer needed advice. They are useless. Randy, as always, keeps it real but is usually battered by J-Lo when he offers the least bit of criticism.

The real singers are Jessica Sanchez & Joshua Ledet. Joshua is the better of the two & should win; but he wont. Phillip Phillips doesn't know how to "sing". It is a miss conception that he makes every song "his own". If he actually tried singing a song in it's original melody, the song would be unrecognizable. He will continue to slip in & out of tune, hit every sour note to songs no one has heard of & in the end he'll probably win the whole thing. Fitting for a show that isn't about singing.
post #737 of 969 Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Maybe not a diamond, but she can be turned into a front for several hit songs. Pin-up girl Samantha Fox had three top ten hits in the U.S.-and this was before autotune. And there are plenty of examples of so-called singers who couldn't really sing, but were pretty enough to overcome that obstacle thanks to a lot of help.

In the old days the producer would hire a talented anonymous singer to sing the track. The billed talent would listen to it and study how the good singer performed the song and would attempt to copy everything he or she could while singing along with the performed track. The final result was often multiple takes spliced together. After some practice even many mediocre singers could deliver a convincing performance which I guess is some form of talent.

Cher was notorious for using the technique of hiring singers for her to copy.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #738 of 969 Old 05-13-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Most learning in any field starts with learning the techniques of others. Imitation is integral to almost everything.

Of course here a person is only considered talented if they grew up in a cave and played Chopin without ever hearing a piano. Really, seems to be a hangout for a bunch of backseat drivers with a severe case of jealousy.

Philip
post #739 of 969 Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Most learning in any field starts with learning the techniques of others. Imitation is integral to almost everything.

Of course here a person is only considered talented if they grew up in a cave and played Chopin without ever hearing a piano. Really, seems to be a hangout for a bunch of backseat drivers with a severe case of jealousy.

Philip

So let's discount originality ..

I guess in your world, no one's entitled to an opinion, unless it agrees with yours ..

And, until you are on the show, we are all backseat drivers ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #740 of 969 Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

So let's discount originality ..

I guess in your world, no one's entitled to an opinion, unless it agrees with yours ..

And, until you are on the show, we are all backseat drivers ..

I don' thing originality should ever be discouraged and I agree I am just as much a backseat driver as anyone else here, just not as mean

Opinions are great but there has to be a bit a civility in them. I do admit to going over the top with CCR's Proud Mary ( CCR was a group I loved) but in my defence that had more to do with not wanting JS to sing it and being disgusted with playing it hundreds of time by request at various gigs in the past. It may be the only song I have ever hated.

By the way, I went back and looked at the rock girl singing the same song that Joshua did last week. She's extremely good and had an interesting take on it. I don't care for his style but Joshua seemed far better, although maybe not as marketable.

philip
post #741 of 969 Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight was more of the same. I get nauseated listening to Joshua sing. Jessica is a huge bore who takes no chances and doesn't have her own identity. Phillip is not an exceptional singer/performer, but he should win against those two.
post #742 of 969 Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. Phillip wins because the other two are bad, especially Jessica who was terrible tonight. Should be arrested for what she did to that first song.
post #743 of 969 Old 05-17-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Agreed. Phillip wins because the other two are bad, especially Jessica who was terrible tonight. Should be arrested for what she did to that first song.

Agree with the result but not your reasons. Joshua and Jessica are both great singers, but Phillip wins because history repeats itself. Remember the final three of Elliott Yamin, Katherine McPhee and Taylor Hicks?
post #744 of 969 Old 05-17-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Joshua and Jessica are both good singers but they sound the same week after week after week after week after week... Phillip is an average singer who sings songs I care nothing about. I can't see myself shelling out money for even one of their songs on iTunes, let alone buying a whole album/CD.

I've always enjoyed American Idol, but to me, this is the "Who Gives a Sh*t" final three.
post #745 of 969 Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Joshua has really grown on me, he really pulled back last night and I though he sounded great. I'm bored to death with Jessica. I liked Phillip last night as well.
post #746 of 969 Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Joshua has a big voice-I just don't like what he does with it. I can understand why some people might like him though. Jessica, on the other hand, has had way too many poor performances on the show to be called a great singer. The first song was AWFUL. And then she comes back in the last two songs with robotic performances-as other people have said, mimicking other performances.

Last night was just more proof that this season was very weak in terms of the quality of singers. And at the beginning of next season, I'm sure we will be told how they have wrangled up "the best talent ever" and some people will actually believe them.
post #747 of 969 Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Agree with the result but not your reasons. Joshua and Jessica are both great singers, but Phillip wins because history repeats itself. Remember the final three of Elliott Yamin, Katherine McPhee and Taylor Hicks?

I do. Taylor Hicks was a much better onstage performer than Yamin or McPhee. That was why he won. He was a very competent singer without a great voice. And due to his age and the fact that he looked like he was 40 years old, I doubt that he received many votes from the young girls-votes that Phillip is sure to receive.
post #748 of 969 Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm not sure if it is burnout from too many singing shows this season, but I was left feeling quite underwhelmed from last night's performances. I have never fast forwarded through so many performances before.

On another note, E! is reporting that JLo is leaving the show after this year.
post #749 of 969 Old 05-17-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

I'm not sure if it is burnout from too many singing shows this season, but I was left feeling quite underwelmed from last night's performances. I have never fast forwarded through so many performances before.

On another note, E! is reporting that JLo is leaving the show after this year.

Yeah, it was not a good night for music.
post #750 of 969 Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
New drinking game, shots for every time Steven Tyler says beautiful or over the top. Good luck.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page