post #811 of 969 Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalbaugh View Post

I liked Philips' last song except for the marching band part .... next thing you know they'll have a group of bagpipe players storming the stage ....

Three nothing wrong with bagpipers. Hell, it's one of the hardest instruments a person could ever want to play. I've seen some very clever uses of it in modern day music by bad haggis to name a few.

His last song was very good. Very worthy and I think it was enough to help him win. Jessica is just boring... So she can sing in a studio... She has no stage personality, didn't grow and thought she had the entire season bagged ever since they saved her. Will she be successful? Sure, she will be successful singing other people's songs. She is not an artist or a songwriter. Will her success make her mainstream? No... She will be forgotten just like half of the idols out there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Phillips last song was so freaking good I want to download the full version, just loved it, watched it 3 times. The other performances, not so much. Jessica sounds like everyone else out there today. Fantastic voice, but that is it. Phillip sounds way more original and someone I could see myself listening to for something different. I hope he wins.

I agree, good song. I'm not finding his voice worthy of being cranked up on my audio system however. He isn't a Jason Mraz type of vocal that's pleasant to hear on a good audio setup. He is definitely original though... But every song sounds th same... Modern day Bob Dylan IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 969 Old 05-23-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

Phillip isn't anything special on a technical level, but he plays the kind of music I listen to. If the producer's don't ruin him I'd certainly consider getting his album. Jessica has a great voice, there's no denying that, but she's completely uninteresting to me.

Exactly.

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peter

post #813 of 969 Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Boy that was an excruciating two hours. The only good moments were 'up where we belong', and when Phillips stopped singing and hugged has family. Otherwise: the has-beens were all sad, and the duets were sadder, the group sound of the top 12 was horrible (a couple of those guys are tone-deaf), and the girl circus performers were all the same--when did pop music become about everything but the music? Phillips may do OK, he'll certainly sell more records than Jessica, unless they turn her into another circus act.
post #814 of 969 Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

Boy that was an excruciating two hours. The only good moments were 'up where we belong', and when Phillips stopped singing and hugged has family. Otherwise: the has-beens were all sad, and the duets were sadder, the group sound of the top 12 was horrible (a couple of those guys are tone-deaf), and the girl circus performers were all the same--when did pop music become about everything but the music? Phillips may do OK, he'll certainly sell more records than Jessica, unless they turn her into another circus act.

I didn't mind listening to Reba. I enjoyed seeing Hollie's legs again. I'll miss them.

Jessica is a circus act--just like Jennifer Holliday.
post #815 of 969 Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
A lot of lip-sync in that last show!

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peter

post #816 of 969 Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
That image of Fantasia in her skintight outfit is going to give me nightmares for months. Make it go away! Happy for Phillip. Enjoyed him all season.
post #817 of 969 Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Really enjoyed both the performance show and the results one. Phillip did very well with all his songs and that 3rd song was great. Loved the marching band, catchy tune, etc... Jessica was great on her first two songs but got done in by that horrible 3rd song, though perhaps Phillip would have won anyway. Not unhappy with the winner, as i have sometimes been in the past, though I would have preferred a different result.

Far preferred this year to previous one's.

Philip
post #818 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Congrats Phillip, good luck in your new career, I believe you deserved to win, but we'll see how well you do with your first album.

I think he sounded amazing singing with Credence, that is how you start a show, very well done. The other performances, not so much, a lot was shaky. Jessica's re-singing of the Whitney song showed how great her voice is.

post #819 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The winner: Diana Degarmo's dress
Runner up: Aerosmith

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #820 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I really enjoy watching Phillp sing, but somehow I doubt hearing him sing will bring the same level of enjoyment. With him the visual is more than the auditory.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #821 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

The winner: Diana Degarmo's dress
Runner up: Aerosmith

I agree on both counts. Aerosmith was freakin' fabulous!
post #822 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Three nothing wrong with bagpipers. Hell, it's one of the hardest instruments a person could ever want to play. I've seen some very clever uses of it in modern day music by bad haggis to name a few..

I have nothing against bagpipes! .... I was making a reference to the time Lee Dewyze had a bagpipe player come down the steps while he was playing Hey Jude on AI ....
post #823 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Happy that Psquared won. It was interesting to watch him during that last song as the wave of emotions hit him and he could no longer hold it in. Quite a moment.

Aerosmith rocked it out! And no lip-syncing like JLo, Rihanna, et al.

Neil Diamond is awesome too, but his voice is going.

For the group numbers, I thought the guys were waaaaaay better than the girls.

Jessica impersonating Holiday right in front of her was painful to watch. Almost like a weird SNL skit where the real actor being impersonated walks on stage behind the impersonator. Jessica has a great voice but needs to grow up a bit and find her own way.

All-in-all, a pretty decent season.
post #824 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Really enjoyed both the performance show and the results one. Phillip did very well with all his songs and that 3rd song was great. Loved the marching band, catchy tune, etc... Jessica was great on her first two songs but got done in by that horrible 3rd song, though perhaps Phillip would have won anyway. Not unhappy with the winner, as i have sometimes been in the past, though I would have preferred a different result.

Far preferred this year to previous one's.

Philip

And I far preferred Katherine McPhee's performance of "I Have Nothing" over Jessica Sanchez' robot performance. It is surprising that Sanchez didn't receive more criticism for standing like a statue during that song (and not to mention her non-performances of the other two songs). People are also ignoring that Sanchez did have 3 other songs that she could have picked for that last song. Maybe they were all equally bad, but they couldn't have been much worse.

Nevermind that Sanchez had absolutely no chance to win, unless Phillips was unable to perform. The last five seasons have been won by white guys. The voting is being dominated by one voting segment. 132 million votes-from 14.85 million viewers. And I would bet that only a small percentage of that 14.85 million bothered to vote even once.
post #825 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
All new low. A payola/plugola wedding proposal. Very nice UNTIL that!!!! Aerosmith rocked!! Not much reaction from the crowd shots during their performance. Ahh a real rock and roll show. The kids just don't get it

100% Digital household since 2001
post #826 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Young boy in the audience: Mama, what dem der men on da stage holdin' in der hands?

Mother: Those are instruments. People used to be able to play them and sing at the same time. It was a wondrous age.
post #827 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I think I'm done with AI... This finale was just horrible... Jlo.. Has done nothing but used AI to keep her alive and try to pave herself a road to be a Gloria Estefan wanna be... She isn't Gloria Estefan, but boy is she trying hard not to be forgotten. At least Gloria never lip synced and performed because she loved it.

What was the purpose of the marriage proposal and who the hell thought that was going to be a good idea? Absolutely horrible and cheesy.

Jessica sounded horrible and again, was predictible. She needs to stop being an impersonator and find her own sound and way. The has been idols were terrible. I was digging Neil, but boy, it appeared he had not rehearsed enough. Seemed like he was out of breath during his performance. He allowed the guys to murder to many songs before coming out on stage.

Chaka looked good, sounded alright too. Seemed like she wanted to get off stage quick though.

Philips did well with credence, definitely my favorite performance of the show.
Im glad Philip won... I've been rooting for him since the beginning. He will probably do very well in the music business as a bluegrass performer type. I'm sure jimmy will make every attempt to whore him out and make his record company millions before giving Philip table scraps. That's what they are doing with Scotty who never saw the blind train coming.

Well, enjoy season 11 guys, I will not be tuning in. Hopefully the 10/11 year olds will continue to enjoy A show that isn't actually judged correctly. I've had enough jlo and Steven Tyler to last a lifetime.
post #828 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Yeah, but aren't you going to miss all those choreographed little swaybots in the front, waving their hands constantly and screaming at every chord change or pause in a song? Didn't think so...neither will I.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #829 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Yeah, but aren't you going to miss all those choreographed little swaybots in the front, waving their hands constantly and screaming at every chord change or pause in a song? Didn't think so...neither will I.

Lol no, i think im just done. My wife stopped watching half way through, which forced me to keep my comments to myself. I just wanted to see the season all the way through.

I've done well and picked the winners 60% of the time by the top 25. I did take a beating on season 7 with Carly Smithson. She would of won had AI not pulled their scandalist activities. I'll still bet anyone she wasn't voted off by America, but rather behind the scenes. She was dominating early on and AI couldn't handle the fact she had a minor contract years before for a fricken Xmas albumn that sold 376 copies and was about 11 years old.
post #830 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I can't stand the swaybots. The clappers aren't much better.
post #831 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

I can't stand the swaybots. The clappers aren't much better.

It's almost like they get paid to do it...
post #832 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Not trying to be controversial, but....is it a coincidence or what? In the past six seasons there has been only ONE female/minority winner? Seems just a bit off if you ask me.

100% Digital household since 2001
post #833 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

Not trying to be controversial, but....is it a coincidence or what? In the past six seasons there has been only ONE female/minority winner? Seems just a bit off if you ask me.

No controversy. They merely changed how votes are cast and made voting unlimited so that they can claim "record" number of votes while at the same time losing viewers. What you're seeing is who soccer moms and their little daughters want to win. This was the first year in a long time that the person I thought deserved to win actually won it.
post #834 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

You'll have to watch one of those other singing shows if you want to see a female/minority winner. Kinda absurd, isn't it, that in the 3 seasons of those other shows that have aired all 3 were minorities, and one female. But Idol is on a 5 year run of white guys winning.

From here on out, I have to question the intelligence of any minority and/or female who goes on AI with the intent of winning. The odds are very much stacked against them. Not to mention that they would receive a $5 million contract for winning X Factor, which is a much bigger prize than the other shows.
post #835 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

And doubly impressive considering it being a Seger song that I could easily go without ever hearing the Seger version again (way overplayed on radio, piped-in store & doctors office music, etc.). Haven't heard any of the country artist cover renditions you referred to. I don't listen to any country, apart from the occasional "alternative" country or a little classic artist country stuff.

I had actually never heard Bob Seger sing his own song. I did go and listen to it and really didn't like his singing. In fact in that sense Phillip did sound better.

See if you can catch Martina McBride or even Kenny Rogers singing the song. Quite nice although it's in a studio so that's not a fair comparison. There are a few others that sing it as it's such a nice song.

In any case, it's all a bit in the past now as Phillip won. I am quite ok with that. He gave a really nice performance in the last show (before the results' show). Really quite liked AI this year, as well as the X-factor. It's great that young singers have this outlet to make themselves known. There are a lot of very talented kids out there. I grew up with 50's and 60's music and more or less stopped listening from the mid 70's through the mid 90's. Styles come and go but each type has talented musicians. Seems to still be the case which is good for everyone.

Philip
post #836 of 969 Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't aware a person should win solely because they are a minority/female

Who cares what gender or race a person is? Why should it matter? It's about who's best and who represents the best portrait of what an American idol is... In the producers minds...

Unfortunately for the show, if you have paid close attention to the last 3 seasons indepth, you will see they are looking for the most $marketable$ person. Who can they pitch hard and create a cash cow for the record company (lately its been interscope records). I bet you fuller gets some pretty good kick backs from it too. The whole thing is becoming dirty and sleepy just like the record business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

No controversy. They merely changed how votes are cast and made voting unlimited so that they can claim "record" number of votes while at the same time losing viewers. What you're seeing is who soccer moms and their little daughters want to win. This was the first year in a long time that the person I thought deserved to win actually won it.

Exactly... Teeny boppers and their parents... They even have a mass text spam app specially for idol so they can vote like rabbits. Phillip did deserve to win. Seems each year prior it's been the least deserving wins... Its all about the money.
post #837 of 969 Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Unfortunately for the show, if you have paid close attention to the last 3 seasons indepth, you will see they are looking for the most $marketable$ person. Who can they pitch hard and create a cash cow for the record company (lately its been interscope records). I bet you fuller gets some pretty good kick backs from it too. The whole thing is becoming dirty and sleepy just like the record business.

Becoming? Where have you been, Venom. It's been that way from the beginning. They just haven't gotten the marketable person to win in the last few seasons. Adam Lambert has outsold Kris Allen by a country mile. Lee Dewho?

Quote:

Exactly... Teeny boppers and their parents... They even have a mass text spam app specially for idol so they can vote like rabbits. Phillip did deserve to win. Seems each year prior it's been the least deserving wins... Its all about the money.

Research the frauen. It's not teeny boppers that control Idol.
post #838 of 969 Old 05-25-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Idol final dipped another 30% but was still the most watched show on television since the Oscars and it got better ratings then ABC, CBS, and NBC combined. And the final had much better ratings then the final of the voice.

Odd ratings can drop so much and still get better ratings then all other stations combined. Its like viewership is down on television in general across all channels.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118054604

post #839 of 969 Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10
We've been through a lot American Idol Season 11 on FOX HD thread. We've conquered/watched the group round in Hollywood and provided amazing insight on who should be kicked off each every week ....It's been an amazing journey with all of you
post #840 of 969 Old 05-25-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Becoming? Where have you been, Venom. It's been that way from the beginning. They just haven't gotten the marketable person to win in the last few seasons. Adam Lambert has outsold Kris Allen by a country mile. Lee Dewho?

Research the frauen. It's not teeny boppers that control Idol.

Adam should of won... But since there is no way to challenge the voting credibility, we will never know the true inner workings of idol. At some point idol producers have control of who's going to win... Allen and DeWize both sucked.. Even Cook sucks... Idol has only had a few successful people make it big and they were all females.

So you believe more wives control voting outcome then teeny boppers? I think it could be split down the middle. A young girl gets a crush on a male contestant or vice versa with a girl and then get their mom hung up on them. Just look t when the idols return home and you see their fans lol.

Imagine being mid 20 and your fan base are 11 yr olds.. You probably begin to crouch in your seat when you see it first hand, and **** yourself. None of us wish to attract young children as our primary fan base.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page