post #841 of 969 Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Idol final dipped another 30% but was still the most watched show on television since the Oscars and it got better ratings then ABC, CBS, and NBC combined. And the final had much better ratings then the final of the voice.

Odd ratings can drop so much and still get better ratings then all other stations combined. Its like viewership is down on television in general across all channels.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118054604

Probably because hell's kitchen isn't back on yet. Seriously, if they replaced idol with something else, I believe people would move on. I think the voice is a better show. The only night I find difficult to find good content right now are thurs. last night I tried so hard to watch So you think you can dance... I just couldn't do it. 20 mins in I had enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 969 Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Just read that Phillip got the most votes of any Idol winner in Idol history. Good for him. Now lets just see how good his first album is and if it was worth all the votes.

Do they still let the Idol winner release his first and then Jessica will release her first album soon after?

post #843 of 969 Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Both singles are out now (along with Aerosmith's). Last time I checked (last night) Phillip was #1 on Itunes.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #844 of 969 Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Both singles are out now (along with Aerosmith's). Last time I checked (last night) Phillip was #1 on Itunes.

Will probably end up downloading his single. Best song he sang on the show in my opinion.

post #845 of 969 Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Single still #1, his compilation of Idol songs is the #2 album, and he has 8 songs in the top 100.
post #846 of 969 Old 05-26-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Really embarrassing numbers. The number two finisher (Jessica Sanchez) is only guaranteed to receive $30,000. So a no-talent like J-Lo gets $20 million, while the true singers receive next to nothing. I'm sure AI isn't the only reality show to treat its contestants this way, but this is ridiculous.
post #847 of 969 Old 05-27-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I'm sure AI isn't the only reality show to treat its contestants this way, but this is ridiculous.

How many millions would it cost her to buy the airtime she received?
post #848 of 969 Old 05-27-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Idol final dipped another 30% but was still the most watched show on television since the Oscars and it got better ratings then ABC, CBS, and NBC combined. And the final had much better ratings then the final of the voice.

Odd ratings can drop so much and still get better ratings then all other stations combined. Its like viewership is down on television in general across all channels.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118054604

There are now many good reality singing shows on TV so it really isn't surprising that AI would drop in terms of viewership. It used to be the only one. I suspect if you added up all the singing shows you'd get back to the previous viewership. I really doubt they have anything to worry about. It would be nice if they addressed the judge issue and , if possible, the way voting takes place.

I wonder how the record deals will change in light of the declining sales of albums compared to singles?

Philip
post #849 of 969 Old 05-27-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

How many millions would it cost her to buy the airtime she received?

That's a very good point. To me that is one of the very good things of this singing contests. It's one more way for young talent to gain recognition. This gives them a great start and it's then up to them to make it or not.

I think they get paid more for the tour now which partially makes up the money and also, albums no longer sell well compared to singles so maybe they want to move away from that.

Philip
post #850 of 969 Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Single still #1, his compilation of Idol songs is the #2 album, and he has 8 songs in the top 100.

Very cool. I'm happy for him. Watched his Volcano on You Tube yesterday. Also looked at his initial audition. The guy is so talented.
post #851 of 969 Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I jsut read that Phillip Phillips broke the record for the most downloads in a single week. Good for him. Lets see if he can keep that mommentum up.

post #852 of 969 Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I jsut read that Phillip Phillips broke the record for the most downloads in a single week. Good for him. Lets see if he can keep that mommentum up.

Yeah, his single was huge. Still gets regular play rotation up here in Seattle (as well as on XM/Sirius). His compilation of songs from the season was also high on iTunes for a long time. Don't remember anyone else doing that.
post #853 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Tyler and J-Lo both fired, and no one cares. The only interesting part of all this was a blurb in THR that said she only made 12 million this last season, which is quite a bit less than that 20 million figure that was repeated over and over again.

It looks like they decided to give all the money to Seacrest. He'll be the "face" of American Idol now. As part of their plan, I predict they'll spend very little money on the younger replacement judges-probably along the lines of the million dollar Demi Lavato deal.
post #854 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Tyler and J-Lo both fired, and no one cares. The only interesting part of all this was a blurb in THR that said she only made 12 million this last season, which is quite a bit less than that 20 million figure that was repeated over and over again.
It looks like they decided to give all the money to Seacrest. He'll be the "face" of American Idol now. As part of their plan, I predict they'll spend very little money on the younger replacement judges-probably along the lines of the million dollar Demi Lavato deal.

You think Randy will be in the seat next season .. ?? Tyler finally took my advice and went back to what he does well .. wink.gif .. now, if I see him on another Burger King commercial, I'm boycotting .. J-Lo .. I could care less .. all Idol ever was for her was a portal to ignite a stale career .. and I guess it worked, for now ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #855 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

J-Lo says : "I honestly feel like the time has come, that I have to get back to doing the other things that I do that I've put kind of on hold because I love 'Idol' so much," she explained. "I could just keep doing 'Idol' for the rest of my life, but that would be giving up a bunch of other things. I feel like we had an amazing run."

An amazing run .. ?? 2 Seasons .. ?? Really .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #856 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Rumor is Randy is gone as well, but may be back as a mentor next season. Another rumor is that Mariah is going to be one of the new judges.
post #857 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

J-Lo says : "I honestly feel like the time has come, that I have to get back to doing the other things that I do that I've put kind of on hold because I love 'Idol' so much," she explained. "I could just keep doing 'Idol' for the rest of my life, but that would be giving up a bunch of other things. I feel like we had an amazing run."
An amazing run .. ?? 2 Seasons .. ?? Really .. ??
Another Hollywood phony. J-Lo's career is the same as dead now. She would take that 12 million again in a second, but it was never offered. I guess she'll go back to her pitiful movie career and praying that a new hotshot producer will throw a song her way.
post #858 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Rumor is Randy is gone as well, but may be back as a mentor next season. Another rumor is that Mariah is going to be one of the new judges.
Are you gonna start the judge rumors again? Ugh. Nevermind that the producers of the show would be crazy to throw a lot of money at another big name when there is very little to assure a return on that money. The show peaked in the ratings a long time ago. The ratings are going to continue to fall. They might as well accept that and try to maximize their profit by lowering their expenses. Spending a lot of money on Seacrest PLUS big name judges just doesn't make any sense.
post #859 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you gonna start the judge rumors again? Ugh. Nevermind that the producers of the show would be crazy to throw a lot of money at another big name when there is very little to assure a return on that money. The show peaked in the ratings a long time ago. The ratings are going to continue to fall. They might as well accept that and try to maximize their profit by lowering their expenses. Spending a lot of money on Seacrest PLUS big name judges just doesn't make any sense.

Not my rumors. The site that rumored JLo and Steven were going to be gone (weeks ago) are the ones saying Randy is gone and Mariah is finalizing a contract. I think they have to have the 3 judges nailed down soon since auditions begin in August.
post #860 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Another Hollywood phony. J-Lo's career is the same as dead now. She would take that 12 million again in a second, but it was never offered. I guess she'll go back to her pitiful movie career and praying that a new hotshot producer will throw a song her way.

Well, I will give her credit for milking her Idol time thru commercials for Fiat / Clothing / Makeup, etc .. and, she threw out a few forgettable tunes that got some play .. and that Latino reality show I can't remember the name of .. all in all, I'd say her Idol time has been quite profitable ..

Uncle Willie

post #861 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Well, I will give her credit for milking her Idol time thru commercials for Fiat / Clothing / Makeup, etc .. and, she threw out a few forgettable tunes that got some play .. and that Latino reality show I can't remember the name of .. all in all, I'd say her Idol time has been quite profitable ..
For all that Idol did to rejuvinate JLo's then dying career, she should be paying Idol to be on the show.
post #862 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Not my rumors. The site that rumored JLo and Steven were going to be gone (weeks ago) are the ones saying Randy is gone and Mariah is finalizing a contract. I think they have to have the 3 judges nailed down soon since auditions begin in August.
Earlier this week Adam Lambert was in talks to be a judge. A few hours after that "story" broke, Lambert came out and said no one had contacted him, so that story was a complete fabrication.
post #863 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

For all that Idol did to rejuvinate JLo's then dying career, she should be paying Idol to be on the show.

That pretty well sums it up .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

post #864 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Earlier this week Adam Lambert was in talks to be a judge. A few hours after that "story" broke, Lambert came out and said no one had contacted him, so that story was a complete fabrication.

Not a big deal. Whatever provides them off-season press is good for the show.
post #865 of 969 Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If 2 of the 3 judges have left the show, who are the judges for the summer auditions?
post #866 of 969 Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Shania Twain was a fill-in last year for one or two auditions.
post #867 of 969 Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

If 2 of the 3 judges have left the show, who are the judges for the summer auditions?
I don't have inside information on the show, but this is the way that I understand it works-the initial auditions are done in front of several groups of show representatives. That is how they are able to whittle down the sometimes thousands of applicants down to a number that will be seen by the "real" judges AT A LATER DATE. It is all a fraud how AI presents it in the actual show edit. It's not like thousands of people are waiting outside while Randy and whoever are judging on the inside. This is why auditions can be going on now and yet they don't have the 3 judges yet.
post #868 of 969 Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Shania Twain was a fill-in last year for one or two auditions.
She was actually around during one of the Simon seasons too. Evidently she doesn't want to do it full time, because I can't imagine she hasn't been asked by AI or X-Factor. It's not like she needs the money or the promotion, as Tyler and J-LO most certainly did.
post #869 of 969 Old 07-14-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

She was actually around during one of the Simon seasons too. Evidently she doesn't want to do it full time, because I can't imagine she hasn't been asked by AI or X-Factor. It's not like she needs the money or the promotion, as Tyler and J-LO most certainly did.

I myself don't think Steven needed the money or the promotion .. based on interviews he's done both before and after he joined AI, I think he was uncertain in his commitment from the get go .. as he was in the negotiation phase, there was a lot going on with Aerosmith and quite a bit of backstory that tied in directly with his ultimate choice .. those issues have been ironed out since .. in fact, I believe Steven has known for some time he would call it quits and do what he does best .. after all, he's not got that many good years left .. a torn ACL in his knee, a broken blood vessel in his throat, a false brain tumor diagnosis, hepatitis C, his toes twisted up, broke his shoulder.. .. the real tell was when Joe Perry and Steven started being seen together more and more ..

Personally, I am glad to see him move on .. he's almost my age now, and I can tell you from personal experience that when you get to that point, you take a long, hard look at things .. and hope you make it to 70 .. wink.gif

If AI is to survive in any way, shape or form, it needs to be completely refreshed .. I don't know who they will hire to judge, and frankly, I don't really care anymore .. like Steven, I'm probably going to move on as well .. the only thing that kept me in the last few seasons was seeing how he did .. and he was dismal ..

Uncle Willie

post #870 of 969 Old 07-14-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I myself don't think Steven needed the money or the promotion .. based on interviews he's done both before and after he joined AI, I think he was uncertain in his commitment from the get go .. as he was in the negotiation phase, there was a lot going on with Aerosmith and quite a bit of backstory that tied in directly with his ultimate choice .. those issues have been ironed out since .. in fact, I believe Steven has known for some time he would call it quits and do what he does best .. after all, he's not got that many good years left .. a torn ACL in his knee, a broken blood vessel in his throat, a false brain tumor diagnosis, hepatitis C, his toes twisted up, broke his shoulder.. .. the real tell was when Joe Perry and Steven started being seen together more and more ..
Personally, I am glad to see him move on .. he's almost my age now, and I can tell you from personal experience that when you get to that point, you take a long, hard look at things .. and hope you make it to 70 .. wink.gif
If AI is to survive in any way, shape or form, it needs to be completely refreshed .. I don't know who they will hire to judge, and frankly, I don't really care anymore .. like Steven, I'm probably going to move on as well .. the only thing that kept me in the last few seasons was seeing how he did .. and he was dismal ..
Steven was broke. He admitted in interviews-I think that the Howard Stern interview was one of them. Now, who knows what a rock star's definition of broke is. He very well could have had ten million in the bank and still considered that near poverty level. But his main reason for doing the show was because he felt he needed the money.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page