'American Idol' Season 11 on FOX HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 618
As I said in post #1 .. Tyler continues to be the buffoon .. and I believe much, if not all, of his commentary is scripted .. and used to help drive the circus that is AI ..

And, who cares how much money the panel makes .. ?? Obviously, as much as each ones agent can squeeze out of Fox ..

Seacrest, in particular, is building, or has built, an mini-empire from his microphone ..

J-Lo has revived a has been career big time ..

Tyler struggles to be the relevant rocker and attempts to revive a music career .. and in so many words, admitting to Rolling Stone that he wants his legacy to be the music .. good luck with that, Steve .. it's getting to be time for another face lift ..

And Randy .. well, he's Randy .. I'd like to see him sit in and thump some bass once and a while ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
We're in mid-season form now. Save some of the vitriol for later.
post #63 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

We're in mid-season form now. Save some of the vitriol for later.

When I actually offer some cruel and bitter criticism (i.e. vitriol) .. you'll know .. so far, none has come from me ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #64 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Big Bang Theory beat Idol last night. Does that mean people will stop writing those "it's still number 1" comments?
post #65 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Update: Fox had Nielsen do a rush job on the time zone adjusted final national ratings and American Idol was adjusted up to a 5.7 adults 18-49 rating, which was down 27% vs. the 7.8 rating for last season's Thursday premiere

Hilarious that Fox is so terrified about the ratings that they have Nielsen do the rush job to go from down 28% to down 27%.
post #66 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Does that mean people will stop writing those "it's still number 1" comments?

Perhaps, it will stop people from posting nonstop about their ratings.

Net - Show - 18-49 Rating - 18-49 Share - Viewers Live+SD (million)

8:00PM
FOX - American Idol - 5.6 - 15 - 17.738
CBS - The Big Bang Theory - 5.2 - 14 - 15.711

| 
|
|
|
post #67 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Where I'm from, 5.6 is more than 5.2.
post #68 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps, it will stop people from posting nonstop about their ratings dropping.

So, you don't think this is a story worth reporting?

1. It was down 27% from last season's Thursday premiere.
2. Worse, it was down 20% from Wednesday night. So, no comeback due to people forgetting to watch it on Wednesday night.
3. It was beaten, or at best tied by The Big Bang Theory. And the ratings are only going to get worse, probably much worse after the auditions and with The Voice debuting soon. The story will continue.
3. Remember last year, and all of those people give credit to Jennifer and Lopez and Steven Tyler for the alleged gains/non-drop in ratings? Remember Simon Who? What are those people saying now?
4. What about those people who thought that having three (actually four including America's Got Talent) singing shows on tv wouldn't affect the ratings much?
5. How much is the ratings fall due to last year's Nashville Star? I doubt that I'm the only one who was turned off by move which allowed country music to dominate the show.
6. How many people were turned off by the incompetent judging, including the Pia fiasco where J-Lo and Randy Jackson had the gall to blame the audience for what happened, even though they were the ones who used the save on that girl with weak voice whose name is long forgotten?
7. How much are Fox and/or Simon Fuller regretting the raises that were given to J-Lo and Steven Tyler for this season? Huge raises for a huge drop in the ratings?
post #69 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where I'm from, 5.6 is more than 5.2.

Uhh, look again. Ratings change every thirty minutes. Take a look at Idol's ratings for the first 30 minutes. At the very least The Big Bang Theory tied with 5.2. But the afternoon ratings adjustment could push The Big Bang Theory ahead. Regardless, you know as well as I do that Idol's ratings fall after the audition weeks. Things are only going to get worse for Idol.
post #70 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm going to have to keep posting about the ratings if people keep posting misleading comparisons like this.
post #71 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

So, you don't think this is a story worth reporting?

Nope. Just like all of the other garbage. You watch a show if you enjoy it. If not, just like the Forum there are plenty of other alternatives. If one wishes to harp (of which who doesn't at times) once is more than enough.

| 
|
|
|
post #72 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Update: Fox had Nielsen do a rush job on the time zone adjusted final national ratings and American Idol was adjusted up to a 5.7 adults 18-49 rating, which was down 27% vs. the 7.8 rating for last season's Thursday premiere...

Update 2: Idol updated half hours were a 5.2 and 6.3, so until we see BBT final adjustments, the 8pm hour is a tie.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-high/117069/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #73 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

To each their own, I guess. We have always found the trainwreck auditions to be the absolute worst parts of the show. I have never understood the appeal of watching an idiot act foolish merely for camera time.

Those are just a small part of the auditions. I like the rest because you get to see how difficult it is to sing well. There are many borderline contestants that have some talent that could blossom later on in the competition. You get to know a little about them before the true madness starts.

Also, the judges during the auditions actually judge the performances to some degree. Once AI chose its best last season, the judges (except for Randy) went into autopilot and rarely criticized even the worst performances. They sounded more like agents than judges. Lopez was in tears once because she had no choice but to say something bad. That's when I gave up last season.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #74 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Cursing is fine. I don't like the irritating bleeeeeeeeep. Annoying to my ears with receiver turned up. I think if cursing is allowed it should not be censored, and if prohibited it should just be edited out rather than making a freaking irritating display of it. And Tyler has turned AI into an obscene freak show, bleeeping his way through every episode. Simon with all his wrath did not do that once.....in nine years. It's a mark of limited talent as well to resort to it.

Don't you have your own thread dedicated to this that you can post this in? I don't think anyone else is ever bothered by this at all.

I'm glad American Idol is back. X Factor was so horrible that I've learned to appreciate this show.
post #75 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I suppose for those who have no interest in the entertainment businesses the ratings have little value other than an indication of possible cancellation. However as AI became to be known as a black hole for ratings, its eventual and not unexpected decline is significant to many. DWTS, while never matching AI's ratings in the key demographic, still began to beat it in total viewers a couple seasons ago, which is even more significant considering it airs two seasons a year and has completed more than AI. Though both shows are in decline, so is broadcast network television in general. What is surprising is how well the live competition genre has held up for so long, especially as more shows were added, though some were notable spectacular failures (such as "The One" on ABC).

post #76 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

For those that care, from tvbythenumbers:
Quote:

In what feels like the Bush/Gore Florida primary of TV ratings days, American Idol and The Big Bang Theory were each adjusted up a tenth of an adults 18-49 ratings point versus Thursday's preliminary ratings. And we know that the American Idol 8pm half hour rating was a 5.2 (the second half hour was a 6.3), and so unless there are some hanging chads out there, The Big Bang Theory topped the 18-49 ratings in the 8pm half hour. Whew.

post #77 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hanging chads anyone .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #78 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

NBC should put The Voice up against American Idol instead of against Dancing With the Stars.

But after watching the show Smash, it looks like NBC might have a good one-two punch with Voice followed by Smash (Monday or Tuesdays, I think).
post #79 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Don't you have your own thread dedicated to this that you can post this in? I don't think anyone else is ever bothered by this at all.

I'm glad American Idol is back. X Factor was so horrible that I've learned to appreciate this show.

Wrong. Right here in this thread forum member "Joeforsale" responded: "I completely agree with you. They should just make it silent instead of that annoying "bleep". And excessive cursing shows a limited vocabulary to express one's self."
post #80 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

They're just words. How offensive they are is directly proportional to how much you let them bother you.
post #81 of 969 Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I stated early I misunderstood because the language is not offensive to OP, it's the beep. Either let them cuss or just leave it silent.
post #82 of 969 Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Vote for the worse now has the final top 24 posted.

post #83 of 969 Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this is the earliest in any Idol season that I'm starting to feel like its unwatchable. These audition shows are horrendous. I think I'll try again whenever they get to hollywood.
post #84 of 969 Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Post game coverage ran nearly until 11pm ET so the special telecast of American Idol didn't begin until 10:57p on the east coast but still scored a 7.9 adults 18-49 rating and 19.8 million viewers in time zone adjusted numbers from Fox.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...p-well/117257/

post #85 of 969 Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, those are pretty huge numbers for an episode of a show that got delayed.
post #86 of 969 Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't think it's been that bad. It's seems like they've focused more on talented auditions than the freak shows they've thrown at us in the past. Those are less fun without Simon glaring in disbelief anyway. Maybe they're saving them for later auditions.

My only complaint is that they're not just letting some mediocre ones get through, but they're acting very impressed by them. At least Simon would admit that he just likes the person, "and I think Americker will like you."

I know once real competition starts, the "judges" will turn back into promoters and I'll find something else to watch.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #87 of 969 Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Could have been the lead in from the game. I watch AI for the first time in a couple of years last night. I was hoping that it would help me to sleep after such an exciting game. I was right.

My Maelstrom-18" EGG build.
post #88 of 969 Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It depends upon your perspective. The last half hour of the game did a 21.0 and 55 million viewers. Then the post game show did 13.3 and 34 million viewers. Then Idol was down to 7.9 19.8 million viewers. Good or bad? I don't know. I don't know what kind of a ratings hold the network expects in a situation like that. I would expect though that the ratings were probably bad on the East Coast due to the late start, and great on the West Coast. It'll be interesting to compare the numbers for The Voice after the Super Bowl.
post #89 of 969 Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Special Sunday 'American Idol' Gets a Tuesday Encore

Written By Robert Seidman
January 23rd, 2012

Because Sunday's special telecast of American Idol did not start until almost 11:00p, Fox will air an encore of it on Tuesday to ensure those who missed it because their DVRs only recorded a few minutes of it get another chance. The repeat telecast will replace the originally scheduled Glee repeat.

via Fox:

LISTINGS RECAP
Tuesday, January 24 - BY TIME ZONE

Eastern Time Zone:
8:00pm American Idol (R) (OTO) (AUDITIONS #3: SAN DIEGO)
*9:00pm-cc NEWS SPECIAL: STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS + REPUBLICAN RESPONSE (O) (OTO) (LIVE) (approx. 90 min)

Central Time Zone:
7:00pm American Idol (R) (OTO) (AUDITIONS #3: SAN DIEGO)
*8:00pm-cc NEWS SPECIAL: STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS + REPUBLICAN RESPONSE (O) (OTO) (LIVE) (approx. 90 min)

Mountain Time Zone:
*7:00pm-cc NEWS SPECIAL: STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS + REPUBLICAN RESPONSE (O) (OTO) (LIVE) (approx. 90 min)
*approx. 8:30pm American Idol (R) (OTO) (AUDITIONS #3: SAN DIEGO)

Pacific Time Zone:
*6:00pm-cc NEWS SPECIAL: STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS + REPUBLICAN RESPONSE (O) (OTO) (LIVE) (approx. 90 min)
*approx. 7:30pm LOCAL PROGRAMMING
8:00pm American Idol (R) (OTO) (AUDITIONS #3: SAN DIEGO)
*9:00p LOCAL PROGRAMMING

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...encore/117329/

post #90 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

The rerun led on Tuesday with a 3.3 rating and had 9.51 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...nch-up/117553/

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page