'American Idol' Season 11 on FOX HD - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 969 Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Mariah, huh? We'll see. I'm sorry to see JLo go, I actually thought she was the only judge who brought something to the table. I agree with an earlier post that Harry Connick jr. might be a good pick to replace (completely useless) Steven Tyler, and maybe have Iovine and Randy trade places to add some bite to the panel...that could be interesting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 969 Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Definitely wouldnt mind seeing Jimmy swap with Randy. I don't find Mariah to be all that good looking compared to JLo. It's the huge fake knockers. Not a fan of the giant fakies. In the battle of the divas, I think Mariah is above Xtina, and then way down the line is Britney.
post #903 of 969 Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 605
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/24/how-much-is-mariahs-rumored-idol-payday/?hpt=hp_bn9

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #904 of 969 Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

... Maybe Mick Jagger for the 3rd seat .. ?? Continuing the aged Rocker that Loves Younger Women theme .. ??

If that's the primary criterion and if we want to make certain that there are lots of "creepy leers" for Kimmel to use on his show, then Lemmy form Motorhead would be the best choice by a huge margin over everyone else. biggrin.gif
post #905 of 969 Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

If that's the primary criterion and if we want to make certain that there are lots of "creepy leers" for Kimmel to use on his show, then Lemmy form Motorhead would be the best choice by a huge margin over everyone else. biggrin.gif

Now that would make for an interesting panel .. cool.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #906 of 969 Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Definitely wouldnt mind seeing Jimmy swap with Randy. I don't find Mariah to be all that good looking compared to JLo. It's the huge fake knockers. Not a fan of the giant fakies. In the battle of the divas, I think Mariah is above Xtina, and then way down the line is Britney.
Jimmy has already said he doesn't want to do it. He benefits a lot from the editing room-and he knows it. He is smart enough to know his strengths.
post #907 of 969 Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not up on the current pop music scene-why would Nicki Minaj warrant 8 million dollars (if true)? Keith Urban is rumored to be signing for between 3 and 4 million. Just when I thought it couldn't be any worse....
post #908 of 969 Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
With regard to the astronomical heights of tasteless offal served up by the Minaj's of the world, H. L. Mencken warned us, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." That she could command pay twice that of a real musician confirms the thought. One can always hope that she has hidden talents and sensibilities.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #909 of 969 Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If we can get back to some honest judging with truthful commentary, they could put Weird Al on the panel as far as I'm concerned ..

Uncle Willie

post #910 of 969 Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I'm not up on the current pop music scene-why would Nicki Minaj warrant 8 million dollars (if true)?

Being an old fart the mere fact I don't even know who she is proves she more valuable than someone I do know. I'm not their traget market nor almost anyone on AVS I'm thinking... :) Which leaves me finding the various rants here rather silly.

post #911 of 969 Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Being an old fart the mere fact I don't even know who she is proves she more valuable than someone I do know. I'm not their traget market nor almost anyone on AVS I'm thinking... smile.gif Which leaves me finding the various rants here rather silly.
I looked up her chart numbers. Nowhere near what Mariah, Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, etc. have done. In fact her chart success seemed really minor. She isn't even that young. Plus she's a rapper, not a singer. I'll ask again-what does she have to offer that made Idol offer her 8 million? Wacky outfits?
post #912 of 969 Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I looked up her chart numbers. Nowhere near what Mariah, Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, etc. have done. In fact her chart success seemed really minor. She isn't even that young. Plus she's a rapper, not a singer. I'll ask again-what does she have to offer that made Idol offer her 8 million? Wacky outfits?

She apparently has an exceptionally good agent .. as well as being somewhat trashy .. they need someone they can BLEEP commentary on since Steven is gone .. and after all, America needs a good role model ..

Uncle Willie

post #913 of 969 Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll ask again-what does she have to offer that made Idol offer her 8 million?

Katie Perry, Lady Gaga? That's beyond silly to even dream they would do the show. You are talking about legends at the peak of their careers. So comparing them to anyone else is just as silly. Mariah ship's has long sailed and (once again) she's someone old farts know...  Also, they aren't looking for someone who has sold a lot records, etc rather someone who can draw ratings. Once again since I don't even know her my guess is their target market can relate to her and or is interested... at least a segment they are going after. Eight million isn't all that much (rather little actually in the scheme of things and irrelevant to what others will take).

The point (last time I'll bother repeating it) is trying to analyze, criticize or whatnot from the mind of an old fart, completely beyond their target market is silly. If it made sense (to us) it wouldn't make sense at all in actuality.

post #914 of 969 Old 08-25-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If Idol gets Nicki Minaj in addition to Mariah Carey, my days of watching that show will definitely be numbered. I'll stick with The Voice and X Factor whose new judges should be better than the leftovers Idol is considering.
post #915 of 969 Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

She fits the young demographic they're aiming for. She'll be a source of unintentional comedy, nothing more. The only group of judges that are actually watchable anymore are on The Voice, and ever they (Christina) became hard to take at the end of last season.
post #916 of 969 Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Katie Perry, Lady Gaga? That's beyond silly to even dream they would do the show. You are talking about legends at the peak of their careers. So comparing them to anyone else is just as silly. Mariah ship's has long sailed and (once again) she's someone old farts know...  Also, they aren't looking for someone who has sold a lot records, etc rather someone who can draw ratings. Once again since I don't even know her my guess is their target market can relate to her and or is interested... at least a segment they are going after. Eight million isn't all that much (rather little actually in the scheme of things and irrelevant to what others will take).

The point (last time I'll bother repeating it) is trying to analyze, criticize or whatnot from the mind of an old fart, completely beyond their target market is silly. If it made sense (to us) it wouldn't make sense at all in actuality.

Perry served as a judge during auditions. She openly campaigned for job at the time. Or maybe that was just a dream I had.

Again, if they are going after a young demographic, then why not hire someone younger than Nikki Minaj, who turns 30 this year, which is ancient in the pop music world. If they wanted her for the clown factor, it would make more sense. Her bio says she was fired from 15 jobs. Maybe this will be another.

These are the same people (Nigel, Simon Fuller, etc.) who hired Tyler and J-Lo. It's obvious they are grasping at straws to find something to halt the massive decline in the ratings. I still say that they should be treating this show as a cash cow-accept the lower ratings, and spend as little on the show as possible. As we've seen recently on other shows, ultimately who the judges are will not matter if people are tired of the concept and/or the talent has dried up.
post #917 of 969 Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

If Idol gets Nicki Minaj in addition to Mariah Carey, my days of watching that show will definitely be numbered. I'll stick with The Voice and X Factor whose new judges should be better than the leftovers Idol is considering.

That's probably what they are hoping... lose the old farts and gain some of those valuable viewers. :) 

post #918 of 969 Old 08-26-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These are the same people (Nigel, Simon Fuller, etc.) who hired Tyler and J-Lo.

• What is the job description/position?
  • How many candidates do you think the committee had on their original list?
  • On what criteria will they offer the position to someone?

Without knowing all of the above questioning the process makes a lot of sense. Second guessing it not so much. :) Thinking one knows more makes even less sense. 

post #919 of 969 Old 08-26-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

• What is the job description/position?
  • How many candidates do you think the committee had on their original list?
  • On what criteria will they offer the position to someone?

Without knowing all of the above questioning the process makes a lot of sense. Second guessing it not so much. smile.gif Thinking one knows more makes even less sense. 
My criticisms are based on the hiring blunders that have occurred on Idol in the last several years. The picks for the additions/replacements of the original 3 judges have been largely abysmal.
1. Kara Diaguardi-No one liked her.
2. Ellen DeGeneres-You've got to be kidding.
3. J-Lo-More concerned with promoting herself and being nice than helping contestants. Initial curiosity about new look panel brought in viewers, but a big chunk of audience chose not to come back for J-Lo/Tyler, year 2.
4. Steven Tyler-Nice enough guy, but added very little to the show, and probably grossed out younger viewers.
5. Mariah Carey-How do mentally unstable people handle live tv? I think we're going to find out on both X Factor and Idol.
post #920 of 969 Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My criticisms are based on the hiring blunders that have occurred on Idol in the last several years.

For some unknown reason you always pretend there is some alternative universe where other directions have proven to work out dramatically better... I tend to think based on the history of TV it's beyond belief the show is still where it's at (ratings wise). 

Back to my job opening... you work the list and at some point you hire the best candidate... that's available. :)

Katy Perry is the latest name to be linked to the hit singing competition show, but recent reports reveal that the singer has turned down the judging gig despite being presented with a record-setting $20 million offer.

According to TMZ, the "Wide Awake" singer isn't looking to budge anytime soon and has made it clear to producers that she's not playing hardball - she simply doesn't know if "Idol" is the right career move for her.

"She was being hotly pursued," a source told Us Weekly of the eye-popping figure. "They really wanted her."

post #921 of 969 Old 08-26-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Nicki is funny. She might surprise you.

Kaboom.
post #922 of 969 Old 08-26-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Nicki is funny. She might surprise you.

What would surprise me is if anyone had proof that she has ever sung a note on-key in her life.
post #923 of 969 Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Who needs singing ability when you've got auto-tune?
post #924 of 969 Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

What would surprise me is if anyone had proof that she has ever sung a note on-key in her life.

Didn't matter for J-Lo. She was able to advise and critique without any discernible musical talent. I think Minaj is a notch or few higher on the talent scale, at least. Progress!

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #925 of 969 Old 08-27-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

That's probably what they are hoping... lose the old farts and gain some of those valuable viewers. smile.gif 
So I guess the 7,000+ songs I have on my 3 iPods don't make me valuable as a member of the music-buying public because I fall outside of the chosen demographic??!!
post #926 of 969 Old 08-27-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I guess the 7,000+ songs I have on my 3 iPods don't make me valuable as a member of the music-buying public because I fall outside of the chosen demographic??!!

Exactly. They want ratings (the right demographics)... if they happen to sell records so be it.

post #927 of 969 Old 08-27-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For some unknown reason you always pretend there is some alternative universe where other directions have proven to work out dramatically better... I tend to think based on the history of TV it's beyond belief the show is still where it's at (ratings wise). 

Back to my job opening... you work the list and at some point you hire the best candidate... that's available. smile.gif

There haven't been many other directions that worked better simply because there have been so few singing/talent shows on American tv until recently. The Voice has succeeded based on two factors-the blind auditions, and the judges. Those judges aren't perfect, but they are a heckuva lot better than what Idol has been hiring. And now Idol appears to be filling out its judging panel with an eye towards what X Factor and The Voice have done. X Factor hired Britney, The Voice has Christina-Idol hires Mariah Carey. The Voice has Blake Shelton-Idol hires Keith Urban.

Nowadays, a LOT of people in music are available for 8 million dollars...or a lot less, if the reported salaries of Keith Urban (4 million) and Demi Lovato (1 million) are any indication. I'd like to see the list of people who have turned down multi-million offers from these shows.
post #928 of 969 Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Who ever is chosen to be a "judge" (and I use that term lightly) allows the producers the ability to trumpet "We've got so and so, please tune in" .. and many will initially .. if we (and I'm 65) are out of the chosen demographic, then why was Tyler hired in the first place .. ?? Why.. ?? Because Steven is known to pop off with whatever pops into his head .. and they really, really tried to milk that .. remember the drop my pants and jump into the pool scene .. ??

J-Lo's ploy on carreer re-boot seemed to work, whether you like her or not .. she got some airplay with some sub par dance music, made a commercial for anyone that would pay her, developed a clothing line, made a film or two and hit the road with a massive show .. as well as developed a talent show with her ex (it was so forgetable, I have no idea the name of it .. ) ... does anyone not believe Mariah is hoping for the same .. ?? There are likely some that would do the show for free if they thought they had a shot at J-Lo's success ..

Nicki Minaj ... ?? From what I understand, her age is not even definitive .. she's either 27 or 29 .. she's endorsed a few brands already and like J-Lo, probably sees this gig as a real money maker .. the paycheck on Idol is small change if you can leverage the seat into endorsements, etc ..

As well, Minaj will be the CeeLo of AI .. the producers watched CeeLo Green in action on the Voice and who is the closest female equivalent .. ?? Minaj .. and, if she begins bringing a cool cat or dog to the show .. well, I rest my case ..

She's got some booty, she's not a bad performer, she's willing to be vocal and controversial .. If I were hiring for AI, she'd be a top pick ..

As far as an artist goes, I'd put her way ahead of J-Lo ..

Uncle Willie

post #929 of 969 Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The thing about Nicki is that she's an entertainer only. She doesn't sing. Idol purports itself to be a singing competition. But yeah, basically what it's come down to now is an attempt to hire a big name. The Voice has the highest quality judging panel, but that's not hard to do when you look at the competition. It really feels like we're nearing the end of these shows, which is too bad because I still enjoy them when they're done well.
post #930 of 969 Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The thing about Nicki is that she's an entertainer only. She doesn't sing. Idol purports itself to be a singing competition. But yeah, basically what it's come down to now is an attempt to hire a big name. The Voice has the highest quality judging panel, but that's not hard to do when you look at the competition. It really feels like we're nearing the end of these shows, which is too bad because I still enjoy them when they're done well.

My take is she's primarilly a rapper .. although what I have heard of her singing something I still think beats J-Lo ..

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page