post #91 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I think this is the earliest in any Idol season that I'm starting to feel like its unwatchable. These audition shows are horrendous. I think I'll try again whenever they get to hollywood.

I thought that they were a lot better than usual. Last year they would waste 15 minutes on some moron that was terrible. The 2nd show this year they didn't show ONE horrible person. I loved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

I thought that they were a lot better than usual. Last year they would waste 15 minutes on some moron that was terrible. The 2nd show this year they didn't show ONE horrible person. I loved it.

The problem I'm having is that I find the positive auditions unwatchable too. I'm just tired of the entire audition phase of Idol, and I think it goes on for at least another two weeks
post #93 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:

The problem I'm having is that I find the positive auditions unwatchable too. I'm just tired of the entire audition phase of Idol, and I think it goes on for at least another two weeks

Sounds like the problem isn't with the show, skyehill.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #94 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Sounds like the problem isn't with the show, skyehill.

But it is. They've done nothing to change the formula for auditions in 11 seasons. The increasingly lower viewer numbers indicate that I'm not the only one sick of that format.
post #95 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 683
I'm not a huge fan of the audition phase as well .. no matter the talent level .. it just seems like a way to extend the season ..

One of the few things I actually did like about "X Factor" .. (I can't believe I just said like and "X-Factor" in the same sentence) .. was the audition phase .. a huge, empty stage in an actual venue ..

AI always seems so motel room cheap during the audition phase .. and I guess that's what they are going for ..

At any rate, I'm waiting for the actual competion before I watch ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #96 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I have been back and forth on the auditions, and whether only good voices should be shown. Then, I replay James Lewis' audition of "Go Down Moses" and I remember why I tune in every week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBnp...feature=fvwrel
post #97 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The bit with the comedian contestant using a British accent was a 100% un funny and lame way to end this episode.
It all seemed so fake and staged.
You mean to tell me they guy was able to hide the confetti type tube on the back of his pants with no one knowing?
Fake! Fake! Fake!
post #98 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I have been back and forth on the auditions, and whether only good voices should be shown. Then, I replay James Lewis' audition of "Go Down Moses" and I remember why I tune in every week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBnp...feature=fvwrel

Let my pipppel goooooo!
post #99 of 969 Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Ok WTF is up with Jlo always looking to her left like she is checking out how she looks on camera or something, it is SO annoying.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #100 of 969 Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

The bit with the comedian contestant using a British accent was a 100% un funny and lame way to end this episode.
It all seemed so fake and staged.
You mean to tell me they guy was able to hide the confetti type tube on the back of his pants with no one knowing?
Fake! Fake! Fake!

I thought he was absolutely hilarous, his explanation of why he has the accent was awesome, had me rolling.

He didn't hide the tube from anyone but the judges, everyone else probably knew and approved, they used it to surprise the judges.

post #101 of 969 Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I have to agree with you...too many seasons of the same type of stuff over and over. Then we get to see them all take the 2 mile hike to see if they're in the finals - with the last two sitting on each other's lap vying for that final one spot. The audition phase is just getting old.
post #102 of 969 Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If Idol sustained any bump at all from the post-football slot on Sunday night, it was minimal. While it did go from a 5.7/18M viewers on Thursday night to a 6.4/19.5M viewers last night (Wednesday), that 6.4 number is still down a whopping 30% from the year ago number for that time slot, when it was a 2 hour episode. Keep in mind that its biggest competition last night, if you want to call it that, was a repeat of Criminal Minds. Tonight The Big Bang Theory provides competition, and we'll see whether the 100th episode of TBBT was the only reason it was able to beat Idol last week.
post #103 of 969 Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But it is. They've done nothing to change the formula for auditions in 11 seasons. The increasingly lower viewer numbers indicate that I'm not the only one sick of that format.

You're jumping to the conclusion that the format is flawed and changing it somehow will make viewers like you happy again. A lot of people don't care for the new judges. A lot of people feel the talent level has dropped too low. A lot of people have found better ways to spend their time.

post #104 of 969 Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Gonad Eating Girl: "Turkeys have them too but they're inside..."
Steven Tyler: "Gobble, gobble"
post #105 of 969 Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

I have to agree with you...too many seasons of the same type of stuff over and over.

I agree. Just like The Bachelor/Bachelorette (my wife makes me watch ) along with virtually any reality show after a few seasons all contestants are repeats. They are identical to someone from x seasons ago. The Voice tried blind auditions, The X Factor $5 million dollars and a more diverse line-up. Both worked to some extent. I still think an extremely small percentage actually tune in to listen to the singing... it's more the format and or experience. The experience is far from unique at this point so the format becomes even more important.
post #106 of 969 Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Could The Voice beat American Idol in the ratings? I still think it is unlikely, but Idol's continued downward fall so far has made it a distinct possibility if The Voice can get off to a strong start. Last night Idol's 4.8/15.46M during the first half hour was handily beaten by The Big Bang Theory's 5.4/15.96M. For the entire hour Idol scored a 5.4/16.99M.
post #107 of 969 Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know about beating AI, however, I believe "The Voice" will come out pretty strong on the 2nd season ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #108 of 969 Old 01-27-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I don't know about beating AI, however, I believe "The Voice" will come out pretty strong on the 2nd season ..

If AI and X Factor have done anything, they've made me hear enough good things about The Voice to check it out for the first time.

post #109 of 969 Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

If AI and X Factor have done anything, they've made me hear enough good things about The Voice to check it out for the first time.

If things don't change dramatically, I think you'll like the voice .. the panel is very, very good ..

Uncle Willie

post #110 of 969 Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

What impact do these lower ratings have on the show, anyway? Well, most likely the ratings were a big reason why Fox has now announced that they are going to debut the new Madonna video on Feb. 2nd during the show. What does a Madonna video have to do with the ongoing auditions? Good question. Normally Idol reserves promo items like this for the results shows, but that doesn't seem to matter now. So Idol has a Madonna video, and The Voice has Kelly Clarkson.
post #111 of 969 Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

What impact do these lower ratings have on the show, anyway? Well, most likely the ratings were a big reason why Fox has now announced that they are going to debut the new Madonna video on Feb. 2nd during the show. What does a Madonna video have to do with the ongoing auditions? Good question. Normally Idol reserves promo items like this for the results shows, but that doesn't seem to matter now. So Idol has a Madonna video, and The Voice has Kelly Clarkson.

I look forward to seeing Kelly mentor. In my mind there's no question who has the better group of judges/mentors among the 3 big shows. I love Steven Tyler as a musician, but as a judge he's horrendous during the live shows.
post #112 of 969 Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe they plan on hiring Madonna as another judge .. she figures, hey, it revitalized J-Los career .. I'll give it a shot ..

Another aging Pop Star trying to get back in the limelight ..

I'd like to see Ga Ga as a judge / mentor ..

Uncle Willie

post #113 of 969 Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I look forward to seeing Kelly mentor. In my mind there's no question who has the better group of judges/mentors among the 3 big shows. I love Steven Tyler as a musician, but as a judge he's horrendous during the live shows.

Is there a message Kelly is sending by picking "The Voice" .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #114 of 969 Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If one of The Voice judges ever moved on, I think Kelly could be a good replacement. She clearly has the talent, and she's proven on SNL that she can be funny and personable.
post #115 of 969 Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. I think it is well known that her relationship with Idol hasn't been all that great since that first season. Part of this is due to the fact that Idol has continually tried to push its latest and greatest, part of it has to do with her music dealings post-Idol, and part of it has to do with her personal relationships with various Idol people (guessing she liked one Simon and didn't like the other Simon).

I also think that Idol hasn't really tried very hard to maintain relationships due to the lack of competition over the years. There weren't many other shows for these singers to appear on, and nothing at Idol's level except for America's Got Talent (summer) and Dancing with the Stars (which obviously isn't a singing show).
post #116 of 969 Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

What is alarming about the ratings of Idol is that they continue to drop further and further in the yearly comparison. Last night's rating was down 34% from a year ago. At this rate we might see a 40% drop in a couple weeks. Even more alarming? This is happening against dreadful competition. Last night was mostly repeats and/or bad shows.
post #117 of 969 Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is alarming about the ratings of Idol is that they continue to drop further and further in the yearly comparison. Last night's rating was down 34% from a year ago. At this rate we might see a 40% drop in a couple weeks. Even more alarming? This is happening against dreadful competition. Last night was mostly repeats and/or bad shows.

Yeah, I think it was down 9 percent from the same timeslot last week. I think next week is hollywood week, so I'll start tuning in again. If the singers suck, I'll duck out again.
post #118 of 969 Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think most are bored with this stage of the game, x-facor gave longer musical bits...

I think the numbers will tick up once they begin live shows and folks can size up if its a good group or not
post #119 of 969 Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 292
There just hasn't been enough watercooler moments in each show. No "Pants on the Ground," no "She Bangs," ...none of that stuff that kept us coming back for the nightly freak show. Seems like everyone is getting put through. And I've had enough sad stories. I'm ready for a belly laugh. Used to get those. Even Ryan seems to be phoning it in.

Plus, rather than do night after night of 2-hour auditions, they've spread the things out which makes it even more monotonous to me.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #120 of 969 Old 02-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's also the simple fact that this is AI's 11th season. It's a rare show that can sustain its numbers for such a long time. I've been a loyal watcher since the first season and we now watch the show with our kids, but the familiarity makes it harder and harder to find the format compelling, especially during the auditions process.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page