'American Idol' Season 11 on FOX HD - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I thought Hollie Cavanagh did herself a real service with her performance. She has not really been in the spotlight before, and she does not really stand out otherwise. She easily had the best performance of the night. I thought Elise Testone was pretty good.

Back to the male singers. I was just thinking some one should do a take on "In The Air" the other day because it is a cool song that could be tweaked in a good way. Phillip did not nail it for me, but I was happy see some one attempt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake14mw View Post

I'm not sure if I can take another season of the judges telling every single contestant that they are a star. Whatever happened to actually giving people real critiques? Remember back when they actually told people when they were not great? I really miss that. I used to enjoy watching the judging part, but now I just fast forward through because it's all the same.

Yup .. like I've said before, I used to believe at least Tyler would find his footing, but it's just more of the same .. sad, really .. I don't know if there has ever been a season that's started off as bad as this one ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #213 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Hollie Cavanagh (the girl with the Liverpool accent).

What's up with that accent?
post #214 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brother went to last night's airing of AI. He told me that about 8min before going live the stage director came over and told a guy that it was time to link up. They told everyone that they need to verify the transmission to the east coast and that everyone needed to be quiet and still. Perfectly still. Everyone (which included all CBS employees and AI employees) had to stay still and everyone had to be perfectly quiet. About 30 sec later they said everything was good and then everyone went back to their business.

Does anyone with technical experience with live broadcasts know why they require complete quiet plus no one moving?
post #215 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

What's up with that accent?

At first I thought I was hearing things, but the more she talked, the more her accent came out. My wife is from the UK and she claimed the accent was similar to how they speak in Liverpool.
post #216 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

At first I thought I was hearing things, but the more she talked, the more her accent came out. My wife is from the UK and she claimed the accent was similar to how they speak in Liverpool.

Her brother had the thame acthent. Liverpool? It thounded like a lithp to me.

Fortunately, it completely disappeared when she sang.
post #217 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Her brother had the thame acthent. Liverpool? It thounded like a lithp to me. .

She was born in Liverpool.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #218 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

... Reminds you how amazing Adele sings. ....

Yeah, even though Adele wasn't at 100% on the Grammy's she still made all the other performers look terrible by comparison.
post #219 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I wonder why two performers both did the same Adele song when the theme for the night was "Producers Choice"?

During the audition shows, Steven Tyler complained that he was about to "listen to 40 different people sing the same Adele song for six %$#$ hours." I guess he cannot escape it in the "live" shows either.
post #220 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
A former finalist reveals what is wrong with American Idol
Unfortunately it is all obvious stuff that is hardly worth printing. More interesting to me is why this person felt it was necessary to be "anonymous" for such a soft critique?
post #221 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Yeah, even though Adele wasn't at 100% on the Grammy's she still made all the other performers look terrible by comparison.

Yeah, the difference between singers like Mariah, Kelly, Beyonce, Adele, and Christina are that when they sing the slow, low, quiet parts, they do so with such power and conviction. Last night was just a stark example of the fact that none of these women are comparable to the best (at least not yet). They were all extremely weak on the quiet parts. When I watch these shows, those are the parts of the songs that I listen to and am most interested in. Kelly Clarkson shined on Idol because she nailed those sections as well as the big "money" notes. My favorite performance last night was the girl who I think is from England when she sang Christina, but she completely missed on the quiet sections.
post #222 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake14mw View Post

I'm not sure if I can take another season of the judges telling every single contestant that they are a star.

I can't. I won't. I didn't last season. If they're going to blather about the sky-high talent level, they're going to have to demand more from the performances, not brush them off with, "Oh, gosh, I don't think that was the best song choice..."

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #223 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

She was born in Liverpool.

Yep...
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-30419501/

Bobby 

post #224 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Her brother had the thame acthent. Liverpool? It thounded like a lithp to me.

Fortunately, it completely disappeared when she sang.

If you fast forward to 4:30 you can really hear it(and you can also see her wearing the hell out of that dress). And a producer needs to slap the **** out of Jennifer and Randy when they criticize the good performances (this is one of maybe 4 good performances across all 24) and all those two did was sound negative. Meanwhile they praise some of the absolute worst garbage I've ever heard.

post #225 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is my take on the girl's night

Definitely in:

Hollie Cavanagh - She walked a REALLY FINE line between a good performance and a horrible one. She barely pulled it out and I would not recommend trying something like that again. That is a very very very difficult song to sing. There is no need to up the difficulty like that on the first show where almost half are going to get cut.

Skylar Lane - Ritalin much? Great voice, perfect for her genre and just perky enough to make it all work. But she really needs to cut down on the Red Bull.

Shannon Magrane - Talking about channeling Celine... A good song choice that showcased her surprisingly powerful voice. Technically, she not quite there and there were spots that were shaky, but compared to her competition, she did enough to survive.

Should be in:

Elise Testone - Actually, she was my favorite singer of the night, but the nerves got the best of her. And really, people should stay away from Adele songs.

Jen Hirsh - See above. Technically the best singer in the competition.

Jessica Sanchez - Again, a GREAT GREAT voice. But I am afraid she got almost no TV time leading up to last night. And something about the way she present herself is just not that appealing.

Definitely Out:

Chelsea Sorrell - Skylar eats girls like you for lunch.

Brielle Von Hugel - "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"??? What are you? 40??? Stop listening to your MOM!

Hallie Day - Really bad song choice.

Haley Johnsen - Even worse song choice.

Baylie Brown - Her bosoms were squeezed into that dress within inches of their lives. I am really sad to see her go as she was the only real eye candy left in the competition. She just had to be competent to pass this round. Alas, she couldn't even pull that off.
post #226 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
WNYW-DT

There's a lot of room echo on Ryan's mic and the mic Jennifer Lopez is using sounds awful.
I did not notice a mic on Jennifer just the microphone on the table.
post #227 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The only two people I give a damn about made it in during the first 15 minutes of the show. Phil and Hollie. He definitely leans too hard on the Dave Matthews impression, but his voice is solid and I look forward to seeing which songs he picks. Hollie's just really cute with a good voice and I'm a sucker for a UK girl (married one). It's also interesting that there aren't any black women in the final 12 women. I think that's a first.
post #228 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I must say, I can't disagree with any of the choices tonight (okay, maybe for Deandre). I think the judges and voters got it right and sent the right people to the top 13.

I am really happy for Jermaine and Erica. I loved both of their voices, but I didn't think America would "get" it.

And Jeremy KILLED it tonight. That boy is going far.
post #229 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

I must say, I can't disagree with any of the choices tonight (okay, maybe for Deandre). I think the judges and voters got it right and sent the right people to the top 13.

I am really happy for Jermaine and Erica. I loved both of their voices, but I didn't think America would "get" it.

And Jeremy KILLED it tonight. That boy is going far.

I dont see the appeal of Jermaine, but at least the Bieber looking kid didn't get in. Agreed about Jeremy. He was a bore the other night, so America got it right not voting him in. What he did tonight earned him that spot. I was happy for Jennifer because she appeared to really want him to be great to win that spot. Erica is very solid too. I'd gladly swap Jermaine for Jenn Hirsh, but I'm just really thankful that the 3 people I didn't want to see in the final 13 aren't in it - Reed, Eben, and the guy that sang Cindi Lauper. I like Philip a lot but I fear what he's going to do on theme weeks that don't fit well with his Dave Matthews impression.
post #230 of 969 Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

How about Jimmy Iovine? The man speaks the truth!!!

I don't think there was a single thing he said that I did not agree with. He gave praise when due and was merciless with those who deserved it.

Why is he not a judge???
post #231 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, basically he said all the things the judges should have been saying. You could see that Randy and Jennifer knew it too.
post #232 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Couldn't agree more. After listening to Jimmy, the three of them should be embarrassed. I'm not saying that they have to be blount like he is, but you do have to honestly judge people. I found myself really interested and anticipating Jimmy speaking vs. clutching the remote to FF through another judge telling every person how they are special they are and what a star they are going to be.

I also have to agree that America and the judges did a great job as far as picking who should go through. I'm not a fan of the gentle giant guy, I think Reed would have been a much more interesting contestant, but Reed didn't earn it. I love contestants that are different, but you have to be different AND good. That performance last night may have been different, but he should have concentrate more on sounding great. Glad to see the little girls didn't vote Eban through. Great job America. No eye candy for men left though.
post #233 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
I like the ones who made it, but I wish there had been a spot for Jen.
post #234 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Also agree with the peoples choices. Groaned loudly when DeAndre got in as Steven's pick. I just don't get what anyone sees in that guy.

I'll be looking forward to more antics from Heejun Han. Love that guy! Woohoo Heejun!
post #235 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps someone here has a better memory than me-how many times have Whitney Houston songs been performed on this (or any other) show? I don't specifically remember any except for Tatiana singing Saving All My Love over and over again. For obvious reasons, I think next week will be mostly disastrous for the women. This will be a very stressful weekend for the women and the AI people who are trying to prep them. I don't know that the top two women from last year could have convincingly sung one of her songs (robotic Pia could have managed it alright). On the other hand, any guy who goes on AI should have already heavily practiced one or two Stevie Wonder songs, considering the likelihood that they would be required at some point.

Requiring Whitney Houston songs at this point, which is really the first opportunity, really stinks of another desperate ratings grab. Bad news for the (presumably) woman who doesn't receive enough votes next week.
post #236 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, "Whitney Houston Tribute" night has disaster written all over it. There is only one girl who is capable of singing Whitney straight up (Jessica Sanchez, Shannon, sit yourself down).

I predict whoever sings "I Will Always Love You" (and you KNOW someone will), will be in the bottom three.
post #237 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Yup, "Whitney Houston Tribute" night has disaster written all over it. There is only one girl who is capable of singing Whitney straight up (Jessica Sanchez, Shannon, sit yourself down).

I predict whoever sings "I Will Always Love You" (and you KNOW someone will), will be in the bottom three.

They can sing one of the songs that everyone knows and sound bad in comparison, or they can sing a more obscure song and risk being forgotten when it comes time to vote. Screwed either way.

Considering that "The Star Spangled Banner" did chart for Houston, that could also be a possibility, assuming a responsible version could be squeezed into 90 seconds.
post #238 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone still want to make the argument that competition is keeping down AI's ratings? Last night Idol pretty much had no broadcast network competition, and it still only scored a 5.3. The only other shows all night with over a 1.8 rating were a repeat of TBBT, Rob with a 2.6, and The Office with a 2.5. Meanwhile look at what The Voice was up against on Monday night.
post #239 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
With the February sweeps period in the rear view mirror, and its PR competition with The Big Bang Theory on hold, American Idol's 2 hour show was up 18% to a 5.3 adults 18-49 rating, vs. last week's one hour show. Its total viewership of 18.3 million was a Thursday season high. Against ABC & mostly CBS broadcast repeats, Fox's ratings victory in adults 18-49 and total viewership was never in doubt. While up vs. last week, Idol's ratings are still far below last season. It was down 45% vs. the comparable episode last season (3/3/11) which drew an 8.2 adults 18-49 rating.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...eepily/122757/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #240 of 969 Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

45% was either a typo or a math error. It was down 35%, and it has been corrected. Down 45% and executives start jumping out of windows, or at least firing people.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page