2012 Australian Open on ESPN2 HD & The Tennis Channel HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 01-22-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Love the fact that the organizers of the Australian Open do not have a screeching high-pitch obnoxious sound when the ball hits the net on service unlike Wimbledon where it sounds like a personal alarm went off every time this occurs. The US Open is also guilty but to a lesser extent. I'm not sure the Australian Open even has an amplified sound; if so, it is very mild. Other grand slam tournaments should take note and step up to the class that is shown at the premiere Grand Slam tournament, The Australian Open. My only criticism of the coverage is that ESPN will occasionally air interviews with the players interrupting the very tennis game that the player is competing. I have seen a whole game missed because of this! Can you imagine that in the NFL....a retro on Alex Smith's Journey to the NFL and by the time they get back to the game it is 3rd down, or the team has already punted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-22-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So how about that Berdych eh? What a giant punk-ass.

I've hit people. People have hit me. It's part of the game, and it's a perfectly legitimate tactic. If you're going to play net, you should know that you could get a ball to the face (and he wasn't even hit in the face in the first place, despite his claims).
post #33 of 45 Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to watch the replay of Sharapova/Lisicki on Tennis Channel HD this morning - their scrolling ticker is covering up exactly the lower half of the scorebox - or 100% of Sharapova's score.

Are there no engineers in the channels production booth?
post #34 of 45 Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

It wasn't that way until late in the first set - I assume that they were cropping the top initially then decided to crop the bottom instead so as not go cut off the far player's servers. Not sure of this is better or worse than compressing vertically like some networks do when they add a scroll. Still, how about just not running the scroll if it's going to cover critical action or imagery (hard placed score boxes from recordings).
post #35 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Over the past 15 or 20 minutes, there has been an occasional crackling noise that comes in only during louder moments. It seems to be frequency-dependent, but I'm not sure. It can be heard with on-court action, as well as booth commentary, but wasn't there in the musical out to commercial.

Verizon FiOS / Montgomery County, MD

EDIT: Did hear the crackling during a French Open promo ~7:15 AM ET
post #36 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I have not heard any crackling noises.

But I have noticed that there have been no commercials at all during this 5th set. I think the last commercial break was late in the 4th set. Is there a contractual reason for this - is there a clause for no commercials in the 5th set of a major final?

Also, there has been no bottom line update that I can recall since I started watching the match around 6:30am CST (almost 2 straight hours).
post #37 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow. Nearly a 6-hour match. Tried DVRing it overnight and couldn't believe the recording stopped half way through. Forgot to add my usual 1 hour to DVRed sports end-times but even the 2-hour-max extension wouldn't have worked for this record setter. Tuned ESPN2-HD directly after lots of DVR fast forwarding so only missed one set (of 5). -- John
post #38 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 505
I think everybody's recordings of this one were all bollixed up, as few American tennis fans would have been willing to start this one in the middle of the night and finish in the middle of the morning. I came in at 4-4 in the 5th and was pleased to see ESPN roll right through to the end with no commercial breaks - classy.

Don't know how any human can continue to summon that effort for 6 hours. Amazing stuff. Both these guys are such gentlemen, classy and poised. You hate to see anyone lose a match like this.

On the technical side, I believe the greatest advance in telecasting these events is the inventive use of the super-slo-mo HD camera. It exposes the beauty of sport in a way we've never seen before.
post #39 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

zippyfrog: Over the past hour or so, I've tuned into the ESPN2 replay of the match, the crackling wasn't there early during the second set, now it's back in the third. It seems embedded into the recording; the crackling was never in the commercials. The TV I'm watching this on has pretty good built-in audio, and I have young ears, so maybe you just don't notice it through the ambient noise. The crackling isn't there when the arena is quiet; when it appears, there's a sort of buzz-like tone to the crackling, if that helps ESPN technicians any.

Here's the strange part: I was watching some footage of Djokovic's acceptance speech on Sportscenter, and there was no crackling. The crackling was there on the ESPN2 live broadcast. Are there two signal paths, and two recorders, within the Bristol facility?

On a side note, shortly after the match ended, I heard Chris Fowler wonder aloud, unprompted, where this match compares to the 2008 Fed-Nadal match at Wimbledon. I had been thinking the same thing.
post #40 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It's too bad they can't schedule the finals at prime time[6-7pm]our time[which would be around 1-2pm their time].

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #41 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 01:37 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think everybody's recordings of this one were all bollixed up, as few American tennis fans would have been willing to start this one in the middle of the night and finish in the middle of the morning. I came in at 4-4 in the 5th and was pleased to see ESPN roll right through to the end with no commercial breaks - classy.

Don't know how any human can continue to summon that effort for 6 hours. Amazing stuff. Both these guys are such gentlemen, classy and poised. You hate to see anyone lose a match like this.

On the technical side, I believe the greatest advance in telecasting these events is the inventive use of the super-slo-mo HD camera. It exposes the beauty of sport in a way we've never seen before.

Watched the replay on ESPN2 this morning. Amazing effort on both their parts. Thought for sure Nadal had the Joker there for a bit, but then he began to show signs of fatigue himself while Nole seemed to find another bit of reserve from somewhere. Definitely the kind of match you feel bad for the person who didn't win. As far as the super slo mo goes, I found myself rolling my eyes at it more than once. Don't get me wrong, it is great for some things. But when they use it for virtually every replay, and even some stuff that wasn't part of the play, it becomes annoying for me. Do we really need to see a super slo mo of a player throwing a towel over their head on the sideline?

ron
post #42 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Watched the replay on ESPN2 this morning. Amazing effort on both their parts. Thought for sure Nadal had the Joker there for a bit, but then he began to show signs of fatigue himself while Nole seemed to find another bit of reserve from somewhere. Definitely the kind of match you feel bad for the person who didn't win. As far as the super slo mo goes, I found myself rolling my eyes at it more than once. Don't get me wrong, it is great for some things. But when they use it for virtually every replay, and even some stuff that wasn't part of the play, it becomes annoying for me. Do we really need to see a super slo mo of a player throwing a towel over their head on the sideline?

ron

The Tennis Channel is repeating the match today and a few more times during the week. Interesting replay in that Martina Navratilova provides excellent analysis with several prescient comments.

But the Tennis Channel did not show Rafa holding for game six of the fourth set and NONE of the fourth set tiebreaker. I could think of better points to edit out if The Tennis Channel just feels it has to edit out some of the points. But why edit out any of the points? So the channel can make space for more important programming?!
post #43 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

It's too bad they can't schedule the finals at prime time[6-7pm]our time[which would be around 1-2pm their time].

It's not about us, its about the locals. Plus it was very warm in the middle of the day. I watched the whole thing live from 12:30am to 6:45 am Pacific Time. It was too good to fall asleep.

Very tired today but I didn't have to go anywhere.

Afro GT
post #44 of 45 Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Wow. Nearly a 6-hour match. Tried DVRing it overnight and couldn't believe the recording stopped half way through. Forgot to add my usual 1 hour to DVRed sports end-times but even the 2-hour-max extension wouldn't have worked for this record setter. Tuned ESPN2-HD directly after lots of DVR fast forwarding so only missed one set (of 5). -- John

I feel for ya John. I had a premonition that this would be an epic match and added an additional 2 hours and recorded show listed on the guide and added another 2 extension to that. Needless to say I'm glad I did.

And the FOUL!
post #45 of 45 Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

Too bad they couldn't show the the finals according to their own schedule. It was supposed to be shown starting at 1:30 am.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page