AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84

About the Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC View Post

Inspired by the best-selling books from actress/comedian Chelsea Handler, "Are You There, Chelsea?" follows the exploits of the twentysomething Chelsea (Laura Prepon, "That '70s Show"), an opinionated and unapologetic young woman who lives life to the fullest as a cocktail waitress, friend, daughter, sister and sexually dynamic "advanced drinker."

Chelsea's life revolves around her work at Jerry's Ultimate Sports Bar in New Jersey, where she is surrounded by an eclectic group of friends and co-workers, including Rick (Jake McDorman, "Greek"), the handsome bartender; Olivia (Ali Wong, "Breaking In"), a fellow cocktail waitress and Chelsea's best friend since childhood; and Todd (Mark Povinelli, "Water for Elephants"), the bar back who is always ready with a quick comeback. Chelsea and Olivia have recently moved in with Dee Dee (Lauren Lapkus, "The Middle"), a sweet and somewhat sheltered young woman who could be considered the polar opposite of Chelsea. And then there's Chelsea's dad, Melvin (Lenny Clarke, "Rescue Me"), a man with a big personality and a big heart... and all too often - a big mouth.

Chelsea Handler ("Chelsea Lately") has a recurring role as Chelsea's born-again Christian sister, Sloane, a married, conservative new mom who has little in common with her carefree sister.

"Are You There, Chelsea?" is a production of Bonanza Productions in association with 4-to-6 Foot Productions, Werner Entertainment, Borderline Amazing Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Dottie Dartland Zicklin ("Dharma & Greg") and Julie Larson ("The Drew Carey Show") are creators and executive producers. Chelsea Handler serves as executive producer, along with Tom Werner ("That '70s Show"), Mike Clements ("The Life & Times of Tim") and Tom Brunelle ("Chelsea Lately").

You can watch "Are You There, Chelsea?" on Wednesdays at 7:30 PM CST only on NBC.

For more information about the show, please see the official link below.
http://www.nbc.com/are-you-there-chelsea/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I wonder if the show will have more episodes than this thread will have posts? Well, now they're tied.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Watched both episodes so far. The show is pretty bad.

I recommend sticking with Chelsea Lately and After Lately.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I wonder if the show will have more episodes than this thread will have posts? Well, now they're tied.

Ha. That's funny
post #5 of 21 Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The artwork with Laura is funnier than the show.

CW Hinkle
post #6 of 21 Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Too bad Prepon got mixed up in this train wreck, I always thought she was a pretty enjoyable actress.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-20-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The 2nd episode was much better than the first.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

That's not saying much. It couldn't be worse.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Staff,

Somebody edited the thread title with ' ' marks.
I was trying to be organized and go with the thread Whitney on NBC HD. Considering they are both programs from female-comics.

FYI
post #10 of 21 Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I'll have to take your word for it......It was one of my rare one and done programs, I thought it was that bad
post #11 of 21 Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'll have to take your word for it......It was one of my rare one and done programs, I thought it was that bad

Took me the first 4 minutes of episode #1 to STOP, DELETE and DELETE SERIES.

That beat my prior experience with "Whitney", which I gave up 10 minutes of my life on before applying these same recovery measures.

Astonishing that this "every single line is apparently a killer joke", followed immediately by suitable pause-in-what-is-supposed-to-be-dialog to allow hysterical laugh track to occur for 1-2 seconds, has been adopted for these attempts at making a so-called comedy show.

NOBODY LIKES THIS STUFF!!! So who green-lights it??? It's funny situations, funny dialog (without laugh track), perfect delivery and timing and facial expressions, and inherently funny characters and their personalities or quirks, which makes for TRUE COMEDY. Sometimes there's a huge comedic payoff LATER... after a suitable build-up that kept you interested or amused or entertained along the way... that doesn't always come in a 1-liner every 15-seconds.

Doesn't the writing staff, director, and actors understand that this is pure crap??
post #12 of 21 Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I LIKE this show. It stays on for me.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The style of the show is the same one that's failing miserably for Whitney. Every line is delivered like a punchline at a comedy show, then the actors wait for the canned laughter to stop, then they deliver their next bad joke. The only question that remains is will they cancel this before Whitney, or Whitney first and then Chelsea, or just axe them both at the same time?
post #14 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I think I've figured out the laugh track and why some people don't like it and some don't seem to hear it. If you don't like the program and hear a laugh track it really grates on you, you think to yourself why are people laughing, that wasn't funny and resent it. If on the other hand you think it was funny yourself, you don't really hear the laugh track and probably laugh along with it. In the case of Whitney or AYTC since I personally don't think they are funny I really resent the forced(or so I think) laugh track.
I agree with DSperber in questioning how a program like this ever sees the light of day. You'd think the first focus group that watched it would have said this sucks and that would have been the end of it
post #15 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I've figured out the laugh track and why some people don't like it and some don't seem to hear it. If you don't like the program and hear a laugh track it really grates on you, you think to yourself why are people laughing, that wasn't funny and resent it. If on the other hand you think it was funny yourself, you don't really hear the laugh track and probably laugh along with it. In the case of Whitney or AYTC since I personally don't think they are funny I really resent the forced(or so I think) laugh track.
I agree with DSperber in questioning how a program like this ever sees the light of day. You'd think the first focus group that watched it would have said this sucks and that would have been the end of it

I think it's easy to see how Chelsea go to the air (and not surprising that the network who did it was NBC). Women love her talk-show, and buy the hell out of her books. Instant success for a TV show, right? Ohhh NBC, you silly goose.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I think it's easy to see how Chelsea go to the air (and not surprising that the network who did it was NBC). Women love her talk-show, and buy the hell out of her books. Instant success for a TV show, right? Ohhh NBC, you silly goose.

Yeah, because that built in audience idea worked so well for NBC with Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman, Coupling, etc.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If on the other hand you think it was funny yourself, you don't really hear the laugh track and probably laugh along with it.

Must be why I don't mind the laugh track on Whitney.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I watched the first AYTC and thought that it was pretty bad. After 5 minutes of the second show, I was done with it. Too bad because Chelsea Handler is very talented and After Lately is hilarious. With Whitney, I've found that the shows are either very good or very poor. For example, the show two weeks ago with the masturbation plot line was very funny. Last week's show turned me off after a few minutes and off it went. I like Whitney Cummings but I agree with skyehill about too many lines being delivered as though they were part of a stand up routine. Whitney's facial expressions, at times, are part of the problem here. She sometimes looks like she is waiting for a club audience's reaction to the joke.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
The laugh track on Whitney is nothing compared to this show. I could almost see the operator playing with the faders after each prompt.

This is just another sitcom that's scraping the barrel of easy sex gags. Not enough to be actually daring (vaginal hubris - now that's funny) but just enough to pretend it's living on the edge of the censor's scalpel.

Worst sitcom this season? Probably.

I wish Laura Prepon would go back to being a redhead, far more attractive. Going blond seems to have had the same effect on her career as it did to Lohan.

edit: and the title makes no sense since they dropped the vodka

post #20 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I saw this topic pop up on the list here and immediately thought, "Oh they must have announced it's cancellation."

Too soon? Not yet?
post #21 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

(vaginal hubris - now that's funny)

I just like that it's sung/rapped by a guy named Taco.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page