post #151 of 202 Old 06-04-2012, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

I think it actually enhances the narration because you get a window into what his character is thinking.

The problem is if he's thinking like this, he's well aware of all the trouble he's causing, and most importantly if he's thinking like this, then he has no trauma then the show formula is pointless. Cause if he just refuses to talk he's an ass sorry. I'd rather have Kiefer doing the narration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 202 Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

The problem is if he's thinking like this, he's well aware of all the trouble he's causing, and most importantly if he's thinking like this, then he has no trauma then the show formula is pointless. Cause if he just refuses to talk he's an ass sorry. I'd rather have Kiefer doing the narration.

We are all on the same page that this kid is on the autism spectrum right?

We all know what the autism spectrum means from a communication/social interaction perspective right?
post #153 of 202 Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

We are all on the same page that this kid is on the autism spectrum right?

We all know what the autism spectrum means from a communication/social interaction perspective right?

Yes we are. Obviously I can't tell what's on the mind of an autistic person, and how this person formulates his thoughts. Maybe this example can seem silly, but remember Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man. The way he behaves never suggests that he can organize, so to speak, his thoughts like you and me. Yet, at the beginning of each episode in Touch, the kid makes perfect sentences and explains complex things without any difficulty. I don't criticize the fact that he's autistic and its relevance regarding the storyline, but the way he introduces each episode he looks pretty normal. So if it's indeed his character who's supposed to talk at the beginning of each episode, then his behavior is contradictory.
post #154 of 202 Old 06-04-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Yes we are. Obviously I can't tell what's on the mind of an autistic person, and how this person formulates his thoughts. Maybe this example can seem silly, but remember Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man. The way he behaves never suggests that he can organize, so to speak, his thoughts like you and me. Yet, at the beginning of each episode in Touch, the kid makes perfect sentences and explains complex things without any difficulty. I don't criticize the fact that he's autistic and its relevance regarding the storyline, but the way he introduces each episode he looks pretty normal. So if it's indeed his character who's supposed to talk at the beginning of each episode, then his behavior is contradictory.

I guess I'm ok/accepting of the contradictory nature of his narration. I know people who have kids who are autistic. They long to communicate in a "normal way" with their kids. I'm sure they envision a narration along the lines of what Jake is doing each week from their kids. So for me, it works and I "get" it.

To each his own I guess. I just wanted to get a grasp on whether EVERYONE realized the parameters of the condition that this kid is dealing with. If it doesn't work for everyone it doesn't work. I'd like to hear Tim Kring and the rest of the producers take on the reasoning behind having Jake narrate.
post #155 of 202 Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I think when you read the following, it makes it much easier to understand Jake's situation - or at least accept his narration. This is an excerpt from a stage manager's daily performance report from a production of 'Harold and the Purple Crayon' staged at The Children's Theater Company in Minneapolis earlier this year.

PERFORMANCE NOTES: It was generally agreed by all that the show was kind of rough (tech wise). But after the show we learned that there was a 5 year old autistic child in the house. He had never spoken. But as the lights went down, he began to talk. In full sentences. He called the teacher by name. She had no idea he even knew her name. He was engaged in the show - at one point commenting to the teacher that if there is a dragon then there will be fire. And there was fire. He talked all throughout the show. When the lights came back up - he quit talking and returned to his world. So, yes, I could list all the little things that wrong today but that is not what this show is about. And that little boy certainly didn't see those things as he sat talking in the dark theatre watching Harold and the Purple Crayon.

It's also quite a statement on the power of live theater, but that's a discussion for a different web site.
post #156 of 202 Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I think when you read the following, it makes it much easier to understand Jake's situation - or at least accept his narration.

Indeed. Thanks for posting it.
post #157 of 202 Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Yes, that was quite a story, thanks.
post #158 of 202 Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I think when you read the following, it makes it much easier to understand Jake's situation - or at least accept his narration. This is an excerpt from a stage manager's daily performance report from a production of 'Harold and the Purple Crayon' staged at The Children's Theater Company in Minneapolis earlier this year.

PERFORMANCE NOTES: It was generally agreed by all that the show was kind of rough (tech wise). But after the show we learned that there was a 5 year old autistic child in the house. He had never spoken. But as the lights went down, he began to talk. In full sentences. He called the teacher by name. She had no idea he even knew her name. He was engaged in the show - at one point commenting to the teacher that if there is a dragon then there will be fire. And there was fire. He talked all throughout the show. When the lights came back up - he quit talking and returned to his world. So, yes, I could list all the little things that wrong today but that is not what this show is about. And that little boy certainly didn't see those things as he sat talking in the dark theatre watching Harold and the Purple Crayon.

It's also quite a statement on the power of live theater, but that's a discussion for a different web site.

I thoroughly enjoy the intro with Jake's narration. Not only does it set up the episode, but it provides Jake's insight into the situation. To me; it would not be "right" to have anyone else do this, as it would not be as powerful an intro.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #159 of 202 Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Fox is airing a new never aired first season episode of "Touch" this Friday night:

Fri, 9/14, 8:00 PM "The Road Not Taken"
Martin's car mysteriously breaks down in the town where he got his start as a reporter; when he begins to suspect that his mentor is involved in illegal activities, he risks breaking up their friendship in order to search for the truth.
post #160 of 202 Old 09-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks - I probably would have missed this!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #161 of 202 Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hopefully the DVR sees it as a new episode since I'm out of town.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #162 of 202 Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Hopefully the DVR sees it as a new episode since I'm out of town.
If it's a TiVo it will, mine is showing it as a scheduled recording on Friday night.
post #163 of 202 Old 09-14-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My Comcast DVR has it.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #164 of 202 Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'll know Sunday when I get home. Guess can always catch it on the web. rolleyes.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #165 of 202 Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
On FOX, an "extra episode" of Touch earned a 0.7 18-49 rating, down six tenths from last year's season finale.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/09/15/tv-ratings-friday-shark-tank-premieres-up-americas-next-top-model-hits-cycle-high-touch-bonus-episode-fizzles/148747/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #166 of 202 Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
The lost episode was ok. It was very evident that it was meant to be a stand alone episode that could be pulled without affecting the overall larger story as it developed throughout the season. This episode fills in the gap of why Martin went to NY which is really immaterial. It was nice seeing the Japanese girls again.
post #167 of 202 Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 189

I finally caught the season premiere (one of only a few based on its ratings) and found it improved. Some what of a reboot especially with Maria Bello getting quite a bit of airtime. I think if this was the opening episode it would have served the series better as it might be too late to save.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #168 of 202 Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I finally caught the season premiere (one of only a few based on its ratings) and found it improved. Some what of a reboot especially with Maria Bello getting quite a bit of airtime. I think if this was the opening episode it would have served the series better as it might be too late to save.

I hope more people agree with you about it being better this season, for the sake of the crew and their jobs. I'll be curious to see the ratings next week. My guess is that they will drop like a rock, unfortunately. I fear that all the people who were looking for something more like '24" had already tuned out last season, just leaving behind people who enjoyed the family-friendly 'Touched by an Angel"/"Highway to Heaven" aspect of helping random people each week improve their lives. Those family-friendly viewers most likely tuned out after about the second time (Not)Sylar cut the throat of somebody with special abilities. This show is one of the few TV dramas still shooting in Los Angeles. It would be nice if it sticks around for a while.
post #169 of 202 Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I hope more people agree with you about it being better this season, for the sake of the crew and their jobs. I'll be curious to see the ratings next week. My guess is that they will drop like a rock, unfortunately. I fear that all the people who were looking for something more like '24" had already tuned out last season, just leaving behind people who enjoyed the family-friendly 'Touched by an Angel"/"Highway to Heaven" aspect of helping random people each week improve their lives. Those family-friendly viewers most likely tuned out after about the second time (Not)Sylar cut the throat of somebody with special abilities. This show is one of the few TV dramas still shooting in Los Angeles. It would be nice if it sticks around for a while.

I'm in for the run!

post #170 of 202 Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 633
I bailed after the pilot last year. Just didn't seem compelling enough to compete with all the top-notch serialized dramas on the dial and there are only so many hours in the day. For me, the Kiefster will always be Jack Bauer - the role of his lifetime - and it's too soon to see him as anyone else.
post #171 of 202 Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 AM

Liked: 19
Based on last night's ratings, I wouldn't be surprised to see Touch pulled from the schedule soon, with the rest of the episodes burned off this summer. Here are the ratings for the first three episodes (2-1 and 2-2 from 8pm and 9pm last week, 2-3 from last night at its regular 9pm slot):

Ep. 2-1: 3.94 million / 1.1 18-49 demo
Ep. 2-2: 3.59 million / 0.9 18-49 demo
Ep. 2-3: 2.53 million / 0.7 18-49 demo

While Friday is a dead night ratings-wise, I don't think any of the four major networks would be happy with a new episode of a Friday show getting a 0.7 in the demo (well, maybe if the show was incredibly cheap to produce, which Touch isn't, I'm sure).
post #172 of 202 Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by diditagain View Post

Based on last night's ratings, I wouldn't be surprised to see Touch pulled from the schedule soon, with the rest of the episodes burned off this summer. Here are the ratings for the first three episodes (2-1 and 2-2 from 8pm and 9pm last week, 2-3 from last night at its regular 9pm slot):

Ep. 2-1: 3.94 million / 1.1 18-49 demo
Ep. 2-2: 3.59 million / 0.9 18-49 demo
Ep. 2-3: 2.53 million / 0.7 18-49 demo

While Friday is a dead night ratings-wise, I don't think any of the four major networks would be happy with a new episode of a Friday show getting a 0.7 in the demo (well, maybe if the show was incredibly cheap to produce, which Touch isn't, I'm sure).

How is Touch on Fox Fridays at 9PM ratings compare to what Fringe was getting in the same time slot the past few months?
post #173 of 202 Old 02-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Liked: 19
For its 13-episode final season, Fringe averaged 2.84 million viewers and a 1.0 in the 18-49 demo.
post #174 of 202 Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

"Hey, isn't that Focker's son?"--what my wife said when she saw the computer guru/hacker (Ruben) working at the "newspaper".

Can't believe I didn't notice him first...and can't believe that after looking up actor Ray Santiago on IMDB, that I also missed him as Jimmy's friend Javier in "Raising Hope".

I'm slipping in my old age.....mad.gif
post #175 of 202 Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I actually enjoy 'Touch' quite a bit and do not want to see it go. The heartwarming aspect of each episode always seems to delivery and they've amped up the action/drama this season. That being said the ratings aren't looking too good. I must admit I was disappointed Fox chose 'Touch' over 'Terra Nova' last year and that decision doesn't seem to be paying off (yes I know TN was quite expensive to produce.)

Derek
post #176 of 202 Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am really enjoying this season, as well. I don't miss the Jake, Jake, Buddy, Buddy, constant yelling by Keifer. I think the addition of Maria Bello really helps the plot. She can go off either looking for her daughter or with Jake leaving Keifer to investigate his leads. Much more happens in an episode this way and I do like Bello as an actress. Wonder if they will become intimate. Do we know what happened to her husband or if she was married? I may just forgetting that bit of backstory.
ltownsend likes this.
post #177 of 202 Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post

I am really enjoying this season, as well. I don't miss the Jake, Jake, Buddy, Buddy, constant yelling by Keifer. I think the addition of Maria Bello really helps the plot. She can go off either looking for her daughter or with Jake leaving Keifer to investigate his leads. Much more happens in an episode this way and I do like Bello as an actress. Wonder if they will become intimate. Do we know what happened to her husband or if she was married? I may just forgetting that bit of backstory.

+1 - I am really liking the direction and plot lines they are developing this season. I hope they don't can this.

post #178 of 202 Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post

Do we know what happened to her husband or if she was married? I may just forgetting that bit of backstory.

Remember when her story line was injected into the show? I don't exactly, but something to the extent that the husband wants her to stop looking for the daughter. That's why they are separated/divorced. Sorry if that's not exact. Too many show story lines and characters to remember! biggrin.gif

On another note: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/maria-bello-leaving-touch_n_2535172.html
post #179 of 202 Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Remember when her story line was injected into the show? I don't exactly, but something to the extent that the husband wants her to stop looking for the daughter.

She appeared in episode 1.11 last season where they were finding the trash from the Japanese tsunami washed up on the beach in California. And I think the specific conversation with her husband was in episode 1.12.
post #180 of 202 Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

She appeared in episode 1.11 last season where they were finding the trash from the Japanese tsunami washed up on the beach in California. And I think the specific conversation with her husband was in episode 1.12.

I just checked it on Netflix. You are correct about her appearance in episode 11. They have the conversation at about the 38 minute mark. Frank Robbins (the ex husband) calls her because Martin (almost called him Jack, LOL) contacted him about Amelia. Frank says she is dead and to leave it alone. Then he calls Lucy to tell her to stop. When she explains to the guy on the beach, she says "that was my husband, ex-husband". She corrects herself.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page