Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 368

Quote:

We are all interconnected. Our lives are invisibly tied to those whose destinies touch ours.

This is the hopeful premise of the new drama TOUCH from creator and writer Tim Kring (“Heroes,” “Crossing Jordan”) and executive producers Peter Chernin (NEW GIRL, TERRA NOVA) and Katherine Pope (NEW GIRL, TERRA NOVA).

Blending science, spirituality and emotion, the series will follow seemingly unrelated people all over the world whose lives affect each other in ways seen and unseen, known and unknown. At the story’s center is MARTIN BOHM (Kiefer Sutherland), a widower and single father, haunted by an inability to connect to his emotionally challenged 11-year-old son, JAKE (David Mazouz). Caring, intelligent and thoughtful, Martin has tried everything to reach his son. But Jake never speaks, shows little emotion, and never allows himself to be touched by anyone, including Martin. Jake is obsessed with numbers—writing long strings of them in his ever-present notebooks—and with discarded cell phones.

Social worker CLEA HOPKINS (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) believes that Jake’s needs are too serious for Martin to handle. She sees a man whose life has become dominated by a child he can no longer control. She believes that it’s time for the state to intervene. So Jake is placed in foster care, despite Martin’s desperate objections.

But everything changes after Martin meets ARTHUR TELLER (Danny Glover), a professor and an expert on children who possess special gifts when it comes to numbers. Martin learns that Jake possesses an extraordinary gift—the ability to perceive the seemingly hidden patterns that connect every life on the planet. While Martin wants nothing more than to communicate directly with his son, Jake connects to his father through numbers, not words. Martin realizes that it’s his job to decipher these numbers and recognize their meaning. As he puts the pieces together, he will help people across the world connect as their lives intersect according to the patterns Jake has foreseen.

Martin’s quest to connect with his son will shape humanity’s destiny.

TOUCH is a production of Chernin Entertainment and Tailwind Productions, in association with 20th Century Fox Television. Tim Kring created the series and wrote the pilot. Kring, Francis Lawrence (“Water for Elephants”), Peter Chernin, Katherine Pope, Kiefer Sutherland, Suzan Bymel (“The War at Home”) and Carol Barbee (“Jericho”) are executive producers. Lawrence directed the pilot.

http://www.fox.com/touch/

Series Preview: Tonight 9pm
Season Premiere: Monday March 19th

I still think this sounds like Early Edition crossed with the movie Mercury Rising.

Will it become repetitive after five episodes? Will it start well and then fall apart after one season like Heroes did? Will Kiefer Sutherland say "DAMMIT ARTHUR, WEDON'THAVETIME!" and cut someone's hand off with an axe? Is Danny Glover getting too old for this s**t?

Only one way to find out ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm looking forward to it, but I have a feeling my mid-season critique is going to be that it needs less kid and more torture.
post #3 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

. . . critique is going to be that it needs less kid and more torture.

"Put down your weapon.. NOW!"

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #4 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ran 7 minutes late. Luckily I had the TV on and hit the record button.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #5 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Ran 7 minutes late.

It was scheduled to run 1:07.

Rocky
post #6 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

It was scheduled to run 1:07.

Not in my Comcast guide. Somebody didn't get the memo.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #7 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I wasn't impressed with the episode. I found it rather slow and boring until the final 10 minutes. I'm not sure if I will watch any future episodes.
post #8 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Why is this show called Touch? They kind of threw that idea out of the window when the first episode ended.

I like the idea of the show because it is kind of fun to try and figure out how and where the disparate story threads will meet but I'm not sure how long that's going to work for. I did enjoy the phone reveal. That was pretty neat.

Also this was Kiefer's first TV role since 24 and they not only had to have a terrorist bomb plot, Kiefer running through a station trying to beat the countdown clock but they really did make him say "Damn it!" a couple of times. That made me unintentionally laugh.

One thing I really hate is the narration. Having the kid do it shows he thinks, feels and observes in a coherent fashion just like any other kid. So now when you look at him he's just someone who doesn't talk and really likes numbers.

They should have had Danny Glover doing the narrative. It would make more sense since he understands how the kid sees the world but doesn't remove any sense of mystery.

And my early comparison still stands ...

post #9 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I liked it and will continue to watch.
post #10 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
missed the last 7 min... now I have to wait for the replay...unless someone post it....

* Disclaimer...The above post may or may not have misspelled words ...deal with it...
post #11 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It will probably be at Fox or Hulu in a week.

You won't find any links to illegal sites here.

post #12 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Really enjoyed it more than I thought I would...
post #13 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I'm looking forward to it, but I have a feeling my mid-season critique is going to be that it needs less kid and more torture.

LOL! I literally did a spit take and sprayed a mouthful of coffee over my desk and the script for the 6th episode when I read this.
post #14 of 202 Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 478
I quite enjoyed this episode. Plus it's good to see Kiefer back on the tele. Nice Heroes reference when they mention Ando's brother works the Jumbotron. I'm looking forward to when this resumes March 19th.

The full episode will be available on Fox's website 8 days after it aires. http://www.fox.com/touch/full-episodes

Growing Older But Not Up
post #15 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Not in my Comcast guide. Somebody didn't get the memo.

FIOS did the same thing. I was actually watching it live (!) and didn't miss the ending.

I thought this show was interesting and will continue to watch. I think the interplay between the social worker and Jack, er, Martin, will continue to grow.

Heroes + 24 + Knowing...
post #16 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Why is this show called Touch? They kind of threw that idea out of the window when the first episode ended.

If you are not going to pay attention any more than that then why even watch a show like this? "Touch" is more about how our actions/decisions/lives touch each other and almost nothing about how the boy did not like to be touched.
post #17 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I enjoyed the show, got to get used to Keifer without a gun in his hand. I was wondering how the kid looking for an oven tied into everything. reminds me of that 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon game.. I will stick with it in March, big 24 fan..

post #18 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Pretty good start. I hope a "6-degrees" type show is sustainable though, because I enjoyed the pilot. I'll need to see a few more though to see what kind of writing this has ..
post #19 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Ran 7 minutes late. Luckily I had the TV on and hit the record button.

Thanks for the warning! We'll watch this weekend, and this will save me the aggravation of having the ending chopped off. I saw the 10:00 end time on 3 different guides. I added the extra 7 minutes shortly before start time, and by then the local station had adjusted the PSIP guide. You'd think for a premiere, they'd make sure they sent out the right time to all guide sources.
post #20 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 AM

I thought I would hate this show but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
post #21 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I thought the episode was OK. I could have done without the Danny Glover scene it felt like exposition instead of a real conversation. I thought the scene between Kiefer and the Social Worker went a little beyond believability. She came off as a bit too harsh for the situation, and his reaction did not seem to match.

The manipulations to get thing to turn out right may have been a bit too subtle for every connection that was made.
post #22 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had trouble buying Kiefer as a concerned and caring father. He still seems like he wants to run around and punch people while yelling at them.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #23 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 84
For those of you who like statistics, here are a few based on the overnights:

* 'Touch' retained 62% of the 'Idol' audience...the highest retention for a post 'Idol' drama ever.

* The 'Touch' preview is FOX's highest rated drama opening in three years.

* 'Touch' is this season's second highest rated drama opening - behind only 'Once Upon A Time'.
post #24 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Why are they waiting until March 19 to start the rest of the season? That seems a little late in the year to start a show. I thought last night was the season premier but now I have to wait a month a 3 weeks for the next episode, and networks wonder why people don't stick with shows when they pull crap like this with there scheduling. I hate getting one new episodes then weeks of reruns, then a few new, then more reruns. It ruins my desire to stick with a show. Well, I enjoyed the show but a month and 3 weeks from now I'm may not care anymore.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #25 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

I like the idea of the show because it is kind of fun to try and figure out how and where the disparate story threads will meet but I'm not sure how long that's going to work for. I did enjoy the phone reveal. That was pretty neat.

Also this was Kiefer's first TV role since 24 and they not only had to have a terrorist bomb plot, Kiefer running through a station trying to beat the countdown clock but they really did make him say "Damn it!" a couple of times. That made me unintentionally laugh.

One thing I really hate is the narration. Having the kid do it shows he thinks, feels and observes in a coherent fashion just like any other kid. So now when you look at him he's just someone who doesn't talk and really likes numbers.

They should have had Danny Glover doing the narrative. It would make more sense since he understands how the kid sees the world but doesn't remove any sense of mystery.

And my early comparison still stands ...

I was thinking the same thing... opening scene he was already yelling at someone on the phone and by 11 minutes in we already heard him yell DAMMIT! lol. Unfortunately Jack would never so much as wince from a smashed finger in a drawer and the child services girl probably would have been choked at minimum for some of her suggestions.

Good show though, I liked it more than I thought and am bummed we have to wait til March for more but it has my interest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #26 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboland View Post

If you are not going to pay attention any more than that then why even watch a show like this? "Touch" is more about how our actions/decisions/lives touch each other and almost nothing about how the boy did not like to be touched.

Pay attention? There's someone who is new to this part of AVS. You might come to regret those words if I keep watching this show.

post #27 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I was thinking the same thing... opening scene he was already yelling at someone on the phone and by 11 minutes in we already heard him yell DAMMIT! lol. Unfortunately Jack would never so much as wince from a smashed finger in a drawer and the child services girl probably would have been choked at minimum for some of her suggestions.

Good show though, I liked it more than I thought and am bummed we have to wait til March for more but it has my interest.

I don't think it was a coincidence that in the first episode he gets punched by a guy and doesn't retaliate (at the gas station) and then hurts his finger in a drawer. They are just little reminders that this is not Jack Bauer.

I really enjoyed the first episode but I'm not sure what the weekly hook is going to be exactly.
post #28 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

I don't think it was a coincidence that in the first episode he gets punched by a guy and doesn't retaliate (at the gas station) and then hurts his finger in a drawer. They are just little reminders that this is not Jack Bauer.

And then they undid all that by forcing Kiefer to do Baeur-esque things in a 24-ish plot!

post #29 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pay attention? There's someone who is new to this part of AVS. You might come to regret those words if I keep watching this show.

Keep us on our toes, VisionOn.
post #30 of 202 Old 01-26-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

I really enjoyed the first episode but I'm not sure what the weekly hook is going to be exactly.

I agree, but I think the ride will be fun.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page