AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
NFL Network Adds Five Thursday Games

League also announces new Spanish-language version of its RedZone channel

By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/3/2012 12:57:08 PM

The NFL Network will bump up its Thursday Night Football total to 13 games next year, which had been hinted at for the past few months.

The new Thursday slate now runs from weeks 2-15 (NBC will have the Thursday night game on Thanksfiving and the first Thursday night game kicking off the season) and will include at least one Saturday night version of TNF.

That means that all 32 teams will play at least one primetime game, the league said Friday. The NFL also announced a new Spanish-language version of its RedZone channel that provides look-ins on all the key scoring and would-be scoring plays around the league.

That also means five more NFL games moving from broadcast to cable, except in the team's home markets, where they will still be available over-the-air barring blackouts.

The Sports Fan Coalition has been calling for an end to the FCC's blackout rules and opining about the move of sports to cable.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...sday_Games.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

NFL Network Adds Five Thursday Games

.... That also means five more NFL games moving from broadcast to cable, except in the team's home markets, where they will still be available over-the-air barring blackouts.

Not good news for football fans who by choice don't subscribe and those who's cable providers don't offer NFL network

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #3 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 147
If you are a Time Warner/Brighthouse customer a few of us in the Orlando forum are going to try and make a big push towards them adding NFL Network this year. The link to our blog and how you can help is in my sig below. Pass it on to others who want NFL Network.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #4 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Not good news for football fans who by choice don't subscribe and those who's cable providers don't offer NFL network

How is it bad news? If you live in the local area you still get the game OTA. If you don't you never would have seen the game anyways. The only ones who are "screwed" is those that pay for Sunday Ticket since they are getting less games for their money.
post #5 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

NFL streams their games.
post #6 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I think I'm the only one who HATES Thursday night games. The league has implemented new rules to prevent injuries, yet they don't have a problem sending teams out to play 4 days after they've beaten on each other. Makes no sense. I know - money. Thanksgiving is a tradition, I get that, and that is doable one week out of the year. Pro football is for Sunday and Monday night. Period.
post #7 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliens View Post

i think i'm the only one who hates thursday night games. The league has implemented new rules to prevent injuries, yet they don't have a problem sending teams out to play 4 days after they've beaten on each other. Makes no sense. I know - money. Thanksgiving is a tradition, i get that, and that is doable one week out of the year. Pro football is for sunday and monday night. Period.

this!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I think I'm the only one who HATES Thursday night games. The league has implemented new rules to prevent injuries, yet they don't have a problem sending teams out to play 4 days after they've beaten on each other. Makes no sense. I know - money. Thanksgiving is a tradition, I get that, and that is doable one week out of the year. Pro football is for Sunday and Monday night. Period.

You're not alone, I pretty much ignored the Thursday night games this season. If it was a game I actually cared about (not usually), I would occasionally check it out while watching some of the ESPN college game that night before firing up my Blu-Ray player for a movie.

One of my rules is that if the Ravens are on any national game, I don't watch it.
post #9 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

How is it bad news? If you live in the local area you still get the game OTA. If you don't you never would have seen the game anyways. The only ones who are "screwed" is those that pay for Sunday Ticket since they are getting less games for their money.

A good question. Let's see if I can answer it...

Assuming most or all of these games would otherwise be on Sunday, let's say Green Bay and Detroit are playing. You may see that in Chicago on Sunday as part of a regional game, but if you're in Chicago, you'll be out of luck if you're OTA only and the game is on Thursday. On a Sunday, if the Bears weren't playing at the same time, you'd see it.

Of course, you are spot on that it doesn't affect home market games...yet.
I wonder how NFL Network does with ratings on that channel during the games, anyway?

Gilbert
post #10 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

A good question. Let's see if I can answer it...

Assuming most or all of these games would otherwise be on Sunday, let's say Green Bay and Detroit are playing. You may see that in Chicago on Sunday as part of a regional game, but if you're in Chicago, you'll be out of luck if you're OTA only and the game is on Thursday. On a Sunday, if the Bears weren't playing at the same time, you'd see it.

Doubtful a Packers/Lions game would be on Thursday night. Sunday and Monday Night football are going to get the premier games. The NFL said EVERY team gets primtime game so most likely the Thursday games are going to feature teams that kind of suck anyways. Speaking of MNF if the Packers/Lions game was on MNF people in Chicago watching TV via OTA wouldn't get that game either. So what is the difference?

Quote:

Of course, you are spot on that it doesn't affect home market games...yet.
I wonder how NFL Network does with ratings on that channel during the games, anyway?

Well without TW or Cablevision the ratigns are probably lower than ESPN. And the lack of TW and Cablevision is probably part of the motivation to add more games. I predicted this a couple of years ago. People would say "Not enough content to justify my cable company paying 70 cents for NFLN. Only 8 games". Ok now they have 13, next year maybe it 16 or 17. Maybe next year they take the NFL draft away from ESPN and make it NFLN only. Maybe they take the pro-bowl off of network TV then maybe some wild card games. If cable companies hadn't been stonewalling adding NFLN maye there would be ZERO games on it and those games would still be on OTA, but people don't want to listen.
post #11 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:

I think I’m the only one who HATES Thursday night games. The league has implemented new rules to prevent injuries, yet they don’t have a problem sending teams out to play 4 days after they’ve beaten on each other. Makes no sense. I know - money. Thanksgiving is a tradition, I get that, and that is doable one week out of the year. Pro football is for Sunday and Monday night. Period.

As we see here, you're not the only one. There's only one reason there are Thursday night games at all and that's the insatiable greed of the NFL owners - 32 guys who want to mine every last ounce of gold from that staggeringly profitable goose.

From the anachronistic viewpoint of a ticket-holding fan's standpoint, all these night games really stink. And now we've got more. Yea; that means my team, which blessedly played every game on Sunday afternoons this year thanks to a really bad season the year before, is going to have multiple weeknight games next season. You're out past midnight, on a work night, after you've been partying it up because, heck, that's what a ticket-holding football fan does. Then you have to drive home, fall into bed, and drag yourself up in the morning and resume your normal schedule, making a vain attempt to be as productive as you would have been had you not been screaming your lungs out and consuming all manner of stuff that's bad for you at a pro football game the night before. Think of the productivity lost! It's downright unpatriotic! There's a reason football games should be limited to weekend nights. God wants it that way.
post #12 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The only ones who are "screwed" is those that pay for Sunday Ticket since they are getting less games for their money.

Not really. Even the least D* programming package Choice has NFL Network HD, so they still get all the games moved off ST.

I know! The NFL & DirecTV will reduce the ST package price because of the games moving to NFL Network. HAHAHAHAHHAHAH......

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #13 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Not really. Even the least D* programming package Choice has NFL Network HD, so they still get all the games moved off ST.

Those are games they'd get anyway, so you can't really say they're getting them "for their money" that they paid for NFLST.
post #14 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

The advertised price of Sunday Ticket for next year is down to $300 from $360 AND includes To-Go. Many thought it was a typo but it now makes sense.
post #15 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Maybe they take the pro-bowl off of network TV then maybe some wild card games.

Already been announced that starting 2014 espn gets the pro bowl & a wildcard game.

post #16 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pro football is for Sunday and Monday night. Period.

Playoffs are saturdays.

post #17 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Playoffs are saturdays.

It's still the weekend, for many folks Monday night is "recovery from the weekend" night, so it still counts as the "weekend"! Thursdays are definitely not the weekend.
post #18 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
And this will significantly diminish the importance of ESPN's Thursday night college football package.

Side note...all teams getting 1 prime time game is a bad idea. Do I really want to see Indy or the rams or Cleveland in a primetime game?
post #19 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Already been announced that starting 2014 espn gets the pro bowl & a wildcard game.

That's unfortunate. Not about the Pro Bowl, because that's a colossal joke..but moving any playoffs games to cable. The NFL has always had all its playoff games on OTA television until this.
post #20 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Side note...all teams getting 1 prime time game is a bad idea. Do I really want to see Indy or the rams or Cleveland in a primetime game?

There were only 5 teams that didn't appear in primetime, this season, so it's not going to make that big of a difference. There were plenty of bad matchups, in primetime, this season without every team being shown. The fact is, until the game happens, we have no idea whether or not it's a bad matchup.
post #21 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 View Post

The advertised price of Sunday Ticket for next year is down to $300 from $360 AND includes To-Go. Many thought it was a typo but it now makes sense.

They've never offered Sunday Ticket for the next season until July so unless you have a link stating that price is for 2012 I don't believe it.
post #22 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

They've never offered Sunday Ticket for the next season until July so unless you have a link stating that price is for 2012 I don't believe it.

There's only one place that sells it, so it's easy to find. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/nfl

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2955028
post #23 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 View Post

There's only one place that sells it, so it's easy to find. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/nfl

yes smarty pants I've been there. Nowhere does that say it's for the 2012 season. Now how about a link that states DEFINITIVELY that that is the price for 2012. Surely this would have made the news somewhere. Surely DirecTV or the NFL would have made some sort of announcement about this. I have yet to find any. As I said it COULD be the price for 2012. It could be an error. All I am asking for is PROOF.
post #24 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Playoffs are saturdays.

I forgot to mention Saturdays.

Playoffs are two weekends and 8 teams, plus two extra days rest. Those two extra days are big. The last few weekends of the regular season have Saturday games and I don't like those either. Playoffs? We're talkin' about playoffs? Yeah, playoffs; I can get excited about playoffs on a Saturday.
post #25 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

yes smarty pants I've been there. Nowhere does that say it's for the 2012 season. Now how about a link that states DEFINITIVELY that that is the price for 2012. Surely this would have made the news somewhere. Surely DirecTV or the NFL would have made some sort of announcement about this. I have yet to find any. As I said it COULD be the price for 2012. It could be an error. All I am asking for is PROOF.

What other season could they possibly be talking about. Yes it could be a typo and if that's what you think it is you're entitled to your opinion.
post #26 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 05:10 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I think I’m the only one who HATES Thursday night games. The league has implemented new rules to prevent injuries, yet they don’t have a problem sending teams out to play 4 days after they’ve beaten on each other. Makes no sense. I know - money. Thanksgiving is a tradition, I get that, and that is doable one week out of the year. Pro football is for Sunday and Monday night. Period.

At our house, almost all Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night games end at halftime or shortly after. The alarm goes off at 4:15am here . . .

Start the games 2 hours earlier and let the left coast complain...

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #27 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

What other season could they possibly be talking about. Yes it could be a typo and if that's what you think it is you're entitled to your opinion.

When I log in to my account I can add ST for $300 for the 2012 season. So you are correct. Definitely went down in price.
post #28 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

At our house, almost all Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night games end at halftime or shortly after. The alarm goes off at 4:15am here . . .

Start the games 2 hours earlier and let the left coast complain...

Nope - ratings have shown that if the game starts too early the overall rating is lower.

When they give the half hour breakouts of the snf game for example more people are watching at 11:00 then 9:00.

post #29 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Nope - ratings have shown that if the game starts too early the overall rating is lower.

When they give the half hour breakouts of the snf game for example more people are watching at 11:00 then 9:00.

Seems like the Superbowl kicks off about 2 hours earlier than the "regular" games. I guess the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #30 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Seems like the Superbowl kicks off about 2 hours earlier than the "regular" games. I guess the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing?

Totally different situation.

there are no other games as opposed to usual sunday.
the network wants to have that show following it to use the huge leadin.
alot of people watching that arent typical snf viewers.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page