post #181 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

After reading this list, I am forced to agree. Although, before 96 there was a high percentage of marching bands. From there, a few big names that were just not my cup of tea. 2000 and 2001 hold the names that I would enjoy most. Even a few after were ok, if not, very safe. Black Eyed Peas made me want to vomit. This year was weak, but so very much better for me.

If there was ever a year that begged for lip synching, it was Black Eyed Peas. Blech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I was hoping for Lady Gaga for 2013, but with that stunt by M.I.A. is pretty much not happenning, the network won't take the risk... unless they make Lady Gaga sign a contract that she will pay the FCC fines to the network if she does something "wrong"

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #183 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Maybe they could just get Steve-O to be shot out of a canon. Tape his mouth shut so he can't say anything stupid. Same for his hands. He could land in a giant pool of water & foam. (not sure how he could swim with his hands taped up, but what the hey)

My Maelstrom-18" EGG build.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post

Far, far more entertaining however has been this thread. From conspiracy theories over whether or not it was actually prerecorded, to not understanding the difference between objective and subjective, this thread has been a far bigger train wreck than Madonnas missed cues. Bravo!

Truth that is.
post #185 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I was hoping for Lady Gaga for 2013, but with that stunt by M.I.A. is pretty much not happenning, the network won't take the risk... unless they make Lady Gaga sign a contract that she will pay the FCC fines to the network if she does something "wrong"

They already do and have already said that M.I.A. is on the hook if the network or NFL is fined.
post #186 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Obviously, I’ve heard of Lady Gaga, but I’ve listened to few of her songs and have never seen her perform. Is she that vulgar? I know she’ll dress provocatively. I watched the PBS special with her and Tony Bennett a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with her voice. I did like the exchange between the two when they were sitting and talking:

Lady Gaga: “I’m a tramp.”
Tony: “No, you’re a woman, you play a tramp.”

Some people don’t realize so much of what these entertainers do is nothing more than an act.

Just X out the subscribe and any subsequent banners and enjoy.

post #187 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Lady Gaga does have a good voice IMO, but she relies on shock value to sell. I doubt that the NFL would want to chance it with her. She could come out and give a great family performance. She could also come out and offend a lot of people. We might not know what we were getting until it was too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #188 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From that bastion of objective reporting, TMZ:

Quote:

M.I.A.
She'll Be Left Holding the Bag If NBC Gets Fined

M.I.A. will end up paying any fines imposed on NBC as a result of her finger wag during the Super Bowl halftime show ... sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ.

Our sources say ... the NFL has indemnified NBC ... because the NFL is responsible for the halftime content.

But the NFL was smart, given the history of performers who wanted to do something shocking to get attention during the biggest TV event of the year. So we're told ... M.I.A. signed a contract with the NFL for the halftime performance, and in that contract M.I.A. agreed to indemnify the NFL for any money it might be forced to pay if the FCC comes down on the Peacock Network.

Remember, CBS was hit with a $550,000 FCC fine after Janet Jackson's famous wardrobe malfunction, but that fine was thrown out by a federal appeals court.

Sources tell us ... aside from the fact that the NFL doesn't want to pay a huge fine, the organization wants to send a message to performers -- don't you dare screw with us.

We don't know if the NFL got a similar indemnity clause from Madonna.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/06/m-i-a-...bc-gets-fined/

Thanks to DrDon for this link.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #189 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Pulling a hamstring would affect her movement, not her ability to sing. Lipsynching the entire performance was what made it a joke. Just awful.

If your in pain. Your not going to be able to sing. So it would affect her singing performance.
post #190 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

From that bastion of objective reporting, TMZ:

Wow. Personally I think she should be held responsible. I don't know why they had her there to begin with.
post #191 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Great, hit her hard. So it seems everything has gone up in price, even the cost of 15 minutes of fame.

Larry

I thought we were

post #192 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I wasn't involved in the production.

However, prior to my recent retirement, I spent the final decade and a half of my career at the RCA Dome, and subsequently Lucas Oil Stadium. I was involved in the very first technical, logistical discussions and meetings regarding the Superbowl, and the halftime show from day one. I'm certainly not uniquely qualified, however I'm entirely familiar with the technical complexity of the production. It was superb,... visually stunning. Additionally, when listened to at home, the audio quality was good over my reference system. No, the bass wasn't muddy as a previous contributor stated.

Regarding tracking, or lip syncing; the landscape changed in the 80's and 90's whereby acts like Madonna, Janet Jackson, etc, pushed the stage show into a realm whereby elaborate costumes and perfectly timed special effects, blended with heavily athletic moves/dancing, and combining all these elements into the larger scope of the production pushed the actual singing off the top spot,.. with regard to order of importance. The larger multiple-component visual element, became of paramount importance.

Obviously, a nice side benefit to tracking the vocals is added headroom/dynamics, and freedom from any issues from feedback. If I recall correctly, there was an open mic and some feedback occurred early in the performance. In an acoustic environment such as a stadium in the round, the acoustic summation that occurs in the middle of the venue can be a nightmare scenario. There are tools to mitigate such things, however problems do come up. Choosing to track the vocals isn't viewed as any less a performance in my opinion, actually it's clearly the prudent thing to do. The vocal quality of the small head-worn mics is highly compromised over that of a full size diaphragm mic. Although I've never mixed any production when lip syncing is used, I am somewhat familiar. Typically, when lip syncing is done, the vast majority is tracked, then one may bring up the mic for the conclusion, thank yous etc. In this case, Madonna dropped down into the staging, a touch too soon as she could be seen plunging. I'm not certain, but if I were to guess, I'd think the intent was to wait a moment longer to make it appear as if she disappeared entirely.

The Gladiators, etc, were locals,.. firefighters, fitness buffs, dancers etc, recruited for their roles. The drum corps were also local high schoolers. The Drum Corps International, (DCI) world headquarters is located in Indianapolis, so stellar drummers are in strong supply. Anyway, knowing the electrical, electronic, logistical, and physical issues involved in pulling a show like that off, it's phenomenal.

A mere 8 minutes to set up, 12 minutes to perform, and only seven minutes to tear it down. And if you've not aware, rolling anything remotely heavy across field turf full of rubber chunks is a real bitch. Sure elements were less than perfect, however I thought it was great, very creative, and seemed to flow relatively smoothly. Also, when it's examined in the entire context of the logistics encountered, it was superbly done in my opinion, and in my experience.

My 2 cents

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #193 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Think of all the people who knew nothing about M.I.A. last week but know who she is now. It could end up making her more than the fine in the long run. Time will tell.

post #194 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

If your in pain. Your not going to be able to sing. So it would affect her singing performance.

If she pulled in prior to the show there's more than enough time to numb the area in order to perform or simply change the performance where she could just stand and sing. If she hurt it during the performance, then it was all planned to be a lip-synching affair to begin with since she was lip-synching from the very start. The woman can sing. Or at least at one point she could. I wanted to see her sing live, much like Blake, Miranda, and Kelly all did.
post #195 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I wasn't involved in the production.

However, prior to my recent retirement, I spent the final decade and a half of my career at the RCA Dome, and subsequently Lucas Oil Stadium. I was involved in the very first technical, logistical discussions and meetings regarding the Superbowl, and the halftime show from day one. I'm certainly not uniquely qualified, however I'm entirely familiar with the technical complexity of the production. It was superb,... visually stunning. Additionally, when listened to at home, the audio quality was good over my reference system. No, the bass wasn't muddy as a previous contributor stated.

Regarding tracking, or lip syncing; the landscape changed in the 80's and 90's whereby acts like Madonna, Janet Jackson, etc, pushed the stage show into a realm whereby elaborate costumes and perfectly timed special effects, blended with heavily athletic moves/dancing, and combining all these elements into the larger scope of the production pushed the actual singing off the top spot,.. with regard to order of importance. The larger multiple-component visual element, became of paramount importance.

Obviously, a nice side benefit to tracking the vocals is added headroom/dynamics, and freedom from any issues from feedback. If I recall correctly, there was an open mic and some feedback occurred early in the performance. In an acoustic environment such as a stadium in the round, the acoustic summation that occurs in the middle of the venue can be a nightmare scenario. There are tools to mitigate such things, however problems do come up. Choosing to track the vocals isn't viewed as any less a performance in my opinion, actually it's clearly the prudent thing to do. The vocal quality of the small head-worn mics is highly compromised over that of a full size diaphragm mic. Although I've never mixed any production when lip syncing is used, I am somewhat familiar. Typically, when lip syncing is done, the vast majority is tracked, then one may bring up the mic for the conclusion, thank yous etc. In this case, Madonna dropped down into the staging, a touch too soon as she could be seen plunging. I'm not certain, but if I were to guess, I'd think the intent was to wait a moment longer to make it appear as if she disappeared entirely.

The Gladiators, etc, were locals,.. firefighters, fitness buffs, dancers etc, recruited for their roles. The drum corps were also local high schoolers. The Drum Corps International, (DCI) world headquarters is located in Indianapolis, so stellar drummers are in strong supply. Anyway, knowing the electrical, electronic, logistical, and physical issues involved in pulling a show like that off, it's phenomenal.

A mere 8 minutes to set up, 12 minutes to perform, and only seven minutes to tear it down. And if you've not aware, rolling anything remotely heavy across field turf full of rubber chunks is a real bitch. Sure elements were less than perfect, however I thought it was great, very creative, and seemed to flow relatively smoothly. Also, when it's examined in the entire context of the logistics encountered, it was superbly done in my opinion, and in my experience.

My 2 cents

Thank you very much for an 'insiders' view of a Super Bowl half time show.

Bobby 

post #196 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post

I agree. I'm not sure what people are expecting to be so disappointed. Should madonna have repelled down from a blimp? Jumped a shark tank on a motorcycle? She's a pop icon lip syncing to some classics with some cool stage effects. I personally didn't expect much more than that. :::shrug:::

I love Steven Taylor! He's right up there with Jim Bon Jovi and Mike Jagger!!

*I'm sure you were just autocorrected, but I couldn't resist! ;-)

I still think Bob Springsteen was the best.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #197 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by i want more View Post

i still think bob springsteen was the best.

lol!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Larry

I thought we were

post #198 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You guys missed this?

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #199 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
well a nipple was worth 500k. whats a finger gonna cost?

neflixis our nemesis
post #200 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

You guys missed this?

She's so nasty looking.
post #201 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well a nipple was worth 500k. whats a finger gonna cost?

That fine has since been thrown out by the FCC. But a bird flip will probably be minor, I'm betting.

(to tune of Farmers Insurance jingle)

We are movies. The Home Box Office. bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum.
post #202 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Thank you very much for an 'insiders' view of a Super Bowl half time show.

"Regarding tracking, or lip syncing; the landscape changed in the 80's and 90's whereby acts like Madonna, Janet Jackson, etc, pushed the stage show into a realm whereby elaborate costumes and perfectly timed special effects, blended with heavily athletic moves/dancing, and combining all these elements into the larger scope of the production pushed the actual singing off the top spot,.. with regard to order of importance. The larger multiple-component visual element, became of paramount importance."

Trying to justify lip syncing. Sorry, doesn't work. A singer sings. Why go to a concert only to hear a recorded version. The reason you go is because it is supposed to be a LIVE performance.
post #203 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
It was a halftime show. Not a concert. And the audience was there to see a football game anyway right?

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #204 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here is the main reason why I watched and enjoyed the Half Time Show: The Dancing Dolls of Southern University. http://theadvocate.com/news/1991792-...-halftime.html
post #205 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

It was a halftime show. Not a concert. And the audience was there to see a football game anyway right?

So that makes it acceptable? Regardless, "musicians" like Janet Jackson lip sync during concerts.
post #206 of 225 Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone aware of the controversy over reported satanic illuminati reports regarding Madonna's half-time show?

Madonna Super Bowl 2012 Illuminati Performance "MUST SEE'
Was Madonna Super Bowl Halftime Show full of Satanic Symbols?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLvwOYK5z8Q

Madonna's Superbowl Halftime Show: Illuminati Symbolism and the Departure of the Grand Priestess

http://www.truthistreason.net/madonn...rand-priestess
post #207 of 225 Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Anyone aware of the controversy over reported satanic illuminati reports regarding Madonna's half-time show?

Madonna Super Bowl 2012 Illuminati Performance "MUST SEE'
Was Madonna Super Bowl Halftime Show full of Satanic Symbols?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLvwOYK5z8Q

Madonna's Superbowl Halftime Show: Illuminati Symbolism and the Departure of the Grand Priestess

http://www.truthistreason.net/madonn...rand-priestess

Didn't they used to say that if you played a 33&1/3 Black Sabath LP at 78 speed you'd see God?

post #208 of 225 Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

Sorry Rich. Led Zep won't be playing next year's half time show.

post #209 of 225 Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

This year, the game was actually better than the 1/2 time show and the commercials.

post #210 of 225 Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post

They already do and have already said that M.I.A. is on the hook if the network or NFL is fined.

The NFL, NBC, or heck, even MIA can sue whoever they want (and they just might) but that doesn't change the FCC rule. These types of obscenity "fines" are handed out by the FCC to broadcast stations. Nobody else.

Only broadcast stations are licensed by the FCC and subject to a "Notice of Apparent Liability," as these things are known. CBS got included in the mess only because they own broadcast stations that broadcast the program, not because they were the network that distributed the program.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page