Super Bowl XLVI in HDTV on NBC - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 159 Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would you get a cleaner signal if you used over the air signal vs going through TW? Can this be done, having both TW cable and over-the-air signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mr. Video,

KNTV is my local NBC affiliate, but I receive it through D*. Assuming they have this inverse telecine turned on, would that make it problemative for D* to encode? I saw horrible macroblocking during the halftime show and into the beginning of the 3rd Quarter, but posters using Comcast and Dish locally here in the SF Bay Area reported no problems.

Tom
post #153 of 159 Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post

Would you get a cleaner signal if you used over the air signal vs going through TW? Can this be done, having both TW cable and over-the-air signal?

Can be done very easily. I recommend OTA for any critical viewing if possible.
post #154 of 159 Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post

well, I did have a post about the game quality, but apparently my post got deleted for some reason.

Because there were a half dozen topics already created for the purpose.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #155 of 159 Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Koegel View Post

KNTV is my local NBC affiliate, but I receive it through D*. Assuming they have this inverse telecine turned on, would that make it problemative for D* to encode? I saw horrible macroblocking during the halftime show and into the beginning of the 3rd Quarter, but posters using Comcast and Dish locally here in the SF Bay Area reported no problems.

In a nutshell, no.

Long answer... If D* was not able to handle the metadata to rebuild the 2:3 pulldown, you'd probably end up seeing jerkiness in the video. Macroblocking is not related to the IVTC "feature" of MPEG-2.

I would hope that the pizza-pan dish providers would get high quality video feeds, via fiber, in the SF area, especially from the network affiliates.

But, the pizza-pan dish providers over compress the locals in order to be able to get more locals onto their birds, resulting in macroblocking.

Your best best for the best video is via OTA. While that also varies depending on where the viewer lives, it can't be any worse that what cable-cos or pizza-pan dish providers do to the video.

Unfortunately, the only place to get the best video is via the network feeds. Once the video is destroyed by the network affiliate, and/or cable-co, and/or pizza-pan dish provider, you are stuck with crap.

Sorry to say that pristine video for the consumer is not in the cards.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #156 of 159 Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Kare11 HD via DirecTV. Pixilation galore during motion scenes, gorgeous picture if everyone is still... Sitting 11' back from a 125" 16:9 screen using a 1080p DLP projector. This is not the projector as motion on other sporting events is a non-issue.

Total BS if you ask me if you look at the price we pay and the fact it is the Super Bowl.

And Comcast is even worse (I dropped them after 1 year).
post #157 of 159 Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Wonderful production. I never even thought about picture quality the entire game which is the way it's supposed to be. Nice job.
post #158 of 159 Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 View Post

I get what your saying. It's just I know these guys and their style and I'm just willing to believe 23.976 pulled down to 29.97i because that's seemingly in line with what someone like director Hamish Hamilton would do. It fits his M.O. (bringing in the Alexa on the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show -- that entire show is done at 23.976) and because I think it is a much easier sell to the NBC suits to do a simple add pulldown on a few cameras than to experiment with 29.97p acquisition (mind you I'm not saying your assessment is wrong, its just that the 23.976 fits a pattern with this particular production crew). Hamish (and probably Madonna as they've worked hand-in-hand for over a decade now) would've wanted it to look as much like a concert film as possible (being a Brit I don't get the sense he's all that fond of the 29.97 look but that's just speculation). I actually wouldn't be surprised if he had outfitted many of the cameras with cine-style lenses and was shooting at as shallow of a stop as he could.

The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show was also 30p for at least the last couple years. 30p gives the same "film" look as 24p but doesn't need any goofy 2:3 pulldown and doesn't have pulldown judder on playback.
post #159 of 159 Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

. . . I would hope that the pizza-pan dish providers would get high quality video feeds, via fiber, in the SF area, especially from the network affiliates.

But, the pizza-pan dish providers over compress the locals in order to be able to get more locals onto their birds, resulting in macroblocking.

. . .

Sorry to say that pristine video for the consumer is not in the cards.

Thanks for the reply. What I was seeing was definitely not just "ordinary" poor PQ with small blocky jaggies (for want of a technical term). This was full fledged picture breakups, although oddly the NBC peacock bug (perhaps because it doesn't move) wasn't affected. I thought it was something related to the halftime show, as that was when it first showed up. And it seemed to happen most when they were broadcasting from the field level camera in front of the stage rather than when they had the wide shots from above. But it continued into the early part of the third quarter of the game. And then ultimately disappeared entirely.

I seem to recall hearing that D* has trouble in the SF getting fiber feeds from the locals. This is really a different issue, but I remember that Comcast refused to give D* a fiber feed of CSN Bay Area until D* agreed to run the network 24x7. I think there have also been other issues between D* and KNTV related to the (baseball) Giants' broadcasts.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page