post #271 of 397 Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Like you guys, I am a self-confessed Broadway fanboy and worry for the show's future because of the relatively narrow audience for Broadway music there is these days and because of the high price required to make the show. Anyway, it's great while it lasts.

+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 397 Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

The Nielsen number was adjusted up very slightly to a 1.2/3.

This show must cost a fortune to produce and it's just not able to find an audience. So what is it's future?
No future, based on the ratings. It might not even make it to the end of its current run. This week's episode scored a .9 before adjustments. With numbers like that, NBC might go ahead and remove it from the schedule and air the remaining unaired episodes during the summer. Assuming, of course, that NBC has anything else to fill that time slot.
post #273 of 397 Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I sorta liked it last year, though I got tired of the constant deification of Marilyn Monroe, who made mosty mediocre movies. This season it's all over the place, though some of the plots are interesting. But it looks like they are throwing everything at the refrigerator and waiting to see if anything sticks.

It does look like it's headed for disasterville.

CW Hinkle
post #274 of 397 Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood 
It does look like it's headed for disasterville.
Keep in mind-Smash's producers are producing the Oscars this year. I expect the ratings will be fine due to the box office of the nominees, but the quality of the show might be a disaster. They're planning a musical number to conclude the show, AFTER the Best Pic is given out.
post #275 of 397 Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 553
I loved this week's smash episode almost as much as last week's. Jennifer Hudson'a solo, can't remember the name of the song, was soaringly beautiful. Man, what a voice! I suppose my continuing fondness for Smash puts me in the minority these days bit I love it nonetheless.
post #276 of 397 Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Finally got around to watching this seasons 2hr premier and all I can say is WOW! Lots of singing and dancing and great looking picture quality, what more can we ask for! It will be sad if it goes thats for sure frown.gif
post #277 of 397 Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Lots of singing and dancing and great looking picture quality, what more can we ask for! It will be sad if it goes thats for sure frown.gif

Yeah - it gets a few points for being different. Which nowadays (whether you like it or not) is a good thing.

post #278 of 397 Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Finally got around to watching this seasons 2hr premier and all I can say is WOW! Lots of singing and dancing and great looking picture quality, what more can we ask for! It will be sad if it goes thats for sure frown.gif

As much as I love Smash I recognize that it's not everybody's cup of tea. I have been a musical theater fan all my life. In fact, I love all forms of music drama, even opera. Telling a story with music heightens the emotion exponentially, or at least it seems so to me.
post #279 of 397 Old 02-21-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:

I loved this week's smash episode almost as much as last week's. Jennifer Hudson'a solo, can't remember the name of the song, was soaringly beautiful. Man, what a voice! I suppose my continuing fondness for Smash puts me in the minority these days bit I love it nonetheless.

You and me both. I've got 'Glee' episodes building up on the DVR but can't muster the enthusiasm to watch 'em. 'Smash', however, that's a show I won't pass up. Alas, it's "different" and to the masses who won't watch unless it's "reality" or crime, crime, all the time, that's ratings death.
post #280 of 397 Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29

Finally caught this latest episode on the DVR and liked it a lot.  The new direction they are going is vastly different from last season and the imprint of the new show runners is apparent.  I've never been a big fan of Jennifer Hudson though and haven't become one in Smash - though I did like the job she did with her big song.  Interesting turn for Daniel Sunjata after his Rescue Me role of Franco, a completely different type.  Looking forward to the rest of the season and hope they get any bad renewal news in time to deal with it.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #281 of 397 Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Looks like they are continuing to tinker with the plot line, and that is a good thing. Enjoyed tonight's episode, though it really had a "Let put on a show!" feel to it. I in no way believe they could rejigger a whole show in a few hours and have the costumes right let alone the choreography. I think the weak spot for me was the Mama Rose bit, that whole plot line could have been very easily dropped.

Next week looks very interesting.
post #282 of 397 Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Looks like they are continuing to tinker with the plot line, and that is a good thing. Enjoyed tonight's episode, though it really had a "Let put on a show!" feel to it. I in no way believe they could rejigger a whole show in a few hours and have the costumes right let alone the choreography. I think the weak spot for me was the Mama Rose bit, that whole plot line could have been very easily dropped.

Next week looks very interesting.

Get the DVD of Burn The Floor and watch the documentary about the show, you'll be amazed at how close they cut it. The original choreographer quit and Jason Gilkison re-choreographed most of the show in a couple of weeks and was making changes right up to opening night.

I think it happens a lot more than we hear about because the shows where that happens tend to bomb and everyone that was involved just wants to shut up and make it go away.
post #283 of 397 Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Get the DVD of Burn The Floor and watch the documentary about the show, you'll be amazed at how close they cut it.....
I wholeheartedly second the DVD Burn the floor, I have and just love it cool.gif
post #284 of 397 Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Looks like they are continuing to tinker with the plot line
Oh, is there a plot, now?
post #285 of 397 Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I loved this week's Smash. Thought that the duet of Everybody Loves You Now performed by the young songwriter and his partner was terrific. Also loved Jennifer Hudson's performance of I Can't Let Go, This show has to be costing an arm and a leg to produce but it has been money very well spent to my way of thinking.
post #286 of 397 Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

I wholeheartedly second the DVD Burn the floor, I have and just love it cool.gif

While I love Burn The Floor, I feel compelled to mention that it loses it's impact on a small screen. On my 110" front projector, it's amazing, but on a 40" flat panel it just doesn't have anywhere close to the same impact. I'm not sure where the crossover point is, but that show really needs a seriously big screen.
post #287 of 397 Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

For me, this was the first one that left me disappointed.  It felt stitched together, much like the plot they are exploring.  I don't think that was intended though.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #288 of 397 Old 03-06-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I really enjoyed last night's episode, But it's gotta be about over. Overnights from last night were horrible..

NBC – Smash
Viewers: 2.64 million (#3), A18-49: 0.8/ 2 (#3)
post #289 of 397 Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, disappointed again.  Except for the setup at the very end, I thought the whole thing was generally a mess.  Thank God that McPhee was onscreen a lot to look at.

Ray
post #290 of 397 Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry to be continuing to swim upstream guys, hell even my daughter disagrees with me, but i still love Smash. It has its weaknesses. Katharine McPhee is ethereally beautiful and sings like an angel but is only a marginal actor and a worse dancer. Megan Hilty is a Broadway baby but, despite her talent, the camera doesn't love her. Still, she is a pretty girl who can can sing and really sell a production number. Also, I think Jeremy Jordan continues to turn in powerhouse musical work. This week his performance of Caught in the Storm was so beautiful, it moved me. There's a lot of other good stuff in the show, too, and also some bad, but for me at least, it has been mostly good. Despite my minority position, I hope Smash lives.
post #291 of 397 Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You're not alone gwsat. Mrs. Archi & I continue to watch and enjoy each lowly-rated episode. I think the cast additions and, especially, subtractions (I'm lookin' at you, Dev & Ellis) have been positive. The musical numbers continue to impress, sometimes astonishingly so. Agree with McPhee - not a "natural" actress but adequate to the role and nice eye candy. My favorite cast members are Hilty - a woman seemingly born to play Marilyn - and Christian Borle as Tom, who's able to sell every minute he's on screen. It will be a shame if they don't at least get to finish the season. But what can NBC plug in to replace it that's going to do better?
post #292 of 397 Old 03-08-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

You're not alone gwsat. Mrs. Archi & I continue to watch and enjoy each lowly-rated episode. I think the cast additions and, especially, subtractions (I'm lookin' at you, Dev & Ellis) have been positive. The musical numbers continue to impress, sometimes astonishingly so. Agree with McPhee - not a "natural" actress but adequate to the role and nice eye candy. My favorite cast members are Hilty - a woman seemingly born to play Marilyn - and Christian Borle as Tom, who's able to sell every minute he's on screen. It will be a shame if they don't at least get to finish the season. But what can NBC plug in to replace it that's going to do better?

You are right about what a wonder Hilty is. In fact, the reason my daughter finally gave up on Smash was because of what she thought was the towering unbelievability of casting Karen (McPhee) to play Marilyn instead of Ivy (Hilty). I couldn't believe it either but soon forgave the writers because of all the great singing and dancing in the show.

I also agree that Christian Borle has been terrific. Like all of the honest to God Broadway people in the show, Borle is triple-threat, he can sing, dance, and act. Finally, the absence of Dev and Ellis has indeed been refreshing. I am prepared for the network hammer to drop on Smash but the prospect saddens me. I can't remember when, if ever, there has been a TV show I loved so much but which was on the verge of being cancelled. It's very sad!
post #293 of 397 Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

My favorite cast members are Hilty - a woman seemingly born to play Marilyn

I commented on this after the premier or shortly afterwards. For me she has zero Marilyn vibe. Her physical presence is completely different along with the lack of mystery, glamour, vulnerability, intelligence, and any number of other qualities.

post #294 of 397 Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I commented on this after the premier or shortly afterwards. For me she has zero Marilyn vibe. Her physical presence is completely different along with the lack of mystery, glamour, vulnerability, intelligence, and any number of other qualities.

I think that in assessing whether Hilty or McPhee would be better as Marilyn in Bombshell, it's important to remember that Bombshell is a musical theater piece. Of course, Hilty would not work as Marilyn in a film. As I said in an earlier post, one of her weaknesses, compared to the ravishingly beautiful McPhee, is that the camera doesn't love her. But when it comes to belting out songs, dancing, and presenting a believable performance of a Broadway musical theater role, it seems to me that Hilty would be in a class by herself. Hilty's strengths are her Broadway chops, most of which McPhee lacks, namely dancing and acting ability that is sufficient to move me.
post #295 of 397 Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But when it comes to belting out songs, dancing, and presenting a believable performance of a Broadway musical theater role, it seems to me that Hilty would be in a class by herself. Hilty's strengths are her Broadway chops, most of which McPhee lacks, namely dancing and acting ability that is sufficient to move me.

By that logic you could say a male performer would be a better choice. Sorry, I understand your logic but we aren't picking a great performer... rather someone to bring Marilyn alive. The show is about Marilyn and if she is missing so is the show.

post #296 of 397 Old 03-13-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I loved this week's Smash. Thought Karen and Jimmy's duet in the basement was beautiful and Ivy's comic song in an otherwise awful show was a hoot. I just hope Smash lasts the rest of the season because I am really enjoying it. The only down note was that the execrable Ellis may reappear. God, I hope not!
post #297 of 397 Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I loved this week's Smash. Thought Karen and Jimmy's duet in the basement was beautiful and Ivy's comic song in an otherwise awful show was a hoot. I just hope Smash lasts the rest of the season because I am really enjoying it. The only down note was that the execrable Ellis may reappear. God, I hope not!

My reactions weren't quite as effusive as yours. Karen may be the dumbest person in the show at this point. She is willing to throw away a career making star turn in a major Broadway show to work, in effect, a cabaret or black box piece of work with a guy who is clearly desperately in need of psychiatric help? She was a nobody who got a break and jumped over a 10 year Broadway ensemble veteran and this is the best choice that she can make? In what galaxy does that happen? Tom's character has become somewhat dishonorable IMHO. He kind of stabbed Julia in the back and is there any doubt that he would have done anything to help push Derek out in order to take the Director's chair? I'm sure that he will find a way to finagle Ivy into the lead as well. There's too much intrigue going on and it's starting to detract from the primary "mounting a show"themes. One bit of intrigue that I am looking forward to is how Eileen will wrest control of the show away from Jerry now that she knows that Ellis stole confidential personnel files and sold them to him. I'm sure that she has collected enough dirt on her Ex's financial dealings to ruin him if so chooses. That could be grand fun.
post #298 of 397 Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The problem with this season is they have completely abandoned any sort of character development. Except for the kid songwriter. And I think we've all figured out his form of idiocy, nothing left to show.

So at this point it's basically watching songs. That's keeping me around for now, it's better than the stupid Idol and similar.

BTW, I think a kid actor (Karen) making a silly mistake is probably ridiculously common. And after the events of the day, I would say anyone would have said piss off to Jerry's ultimatums and gone to have some fun. Bombshell is currently falling apart, not even sure it was a mistake.
post #299 of 397 Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd pay to see a real musical based on the songs and original book of Bombshell. Especially if Megan Hilty played the lead! Perhaps that's going to the enduring legacy of this show.
post #300 of 397 Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Good news for fans of the show: looks like it will be on for a while longer. Copied from the Hot Off the Press thread:

NBC Shifts 'Smash' to Saturday Nights

Source: thewrap.com

NBC is moving its struggling musical series "Smash" to Saturday nights at 9 p.m. starting April 6, the network said Wednesday.

The shift was among a number of scheduling changes that NBC announced. And NBC said that the show will air its entire 17-episode season.

Even so, the move is not a good sign for the series, which started out strong with its first season, when it had "The Voice" as a lead-in, but has struggled since returning for its second season last month.

For its season premiere on Feb. 5, "Smash" drew an anemic 1.1 rating/3 share in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic -- its lowest-rated episode at that date, and down 71 percent from the show's series premiere. It was also down 39 percent from its May 14 season finale.

Things got worse for the show -- which has been airing Tuesdays at 10 p.m. -- from there, with the show dropping to a new low of 0.7/2 on March 5, though it rebounded somewhat in its most recent airing on Tuesday.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page