Smash on NBC HDTV - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 397 Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i thought the scenes where the husband reacted to the affair and how he drilled the guy and left the house all seemed very real. I like where the show is heading... its perked up a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 397 Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post

i thought the scenes where the husband reacted to the affair and how he drilled the guy and left the house all seemed very real. I like where the show is heading... its perked up a bit

I also liked the way in which they had him suspect the affair when he found the sheet music with references that had nothing to do with Marilyn. He even made a reference to, I believe, the workshop. When Michael was performing Lexington and 52nd Street and the song closed with just him and Julia alone, Frank, for a brief moment, had this look that suggested that he was putting things together or at least wondering.
post #153 of 397 Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Ellis finally got his clock cleaned by Eileen. The presumptuous little twerp was firmly reminded of the Rock's mantra "Know Your Place! when she made it clear what producers actually do. When she ordered him to answer the phone, the crestfallen puppy look on his face was priceless.

Yes, priceless. But I don't think he is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here, I hated the Times Square duet.

Two. Although usually I do like the songs, this one just annoyed me.
post #154 of 397 Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I can see your point about the duet in Times Square; a guy with a keyboard and two unmiked girls suddenly sound like a fully produced pop record. It's pretty silly. But, I did like the song and the performance, and I'm willing to give them a pass on the rest.
post #155 of 397 Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Speaking of technical issues: Going back 2 episodes ... was the surround mix horribly hosed on Ms. McPhee's "secret bed number" for anyone else?
post #156 of 397 Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I laughed all the way through the 4/23 episode.

But I don't think that was the intent.
post #157 of 397 Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 513
I found all of Karen's (Katharine McPhee) numbers curiously uninvolving this week. I thought her first one in the nightclub where Rebecca (Uma Thurman) had taken her and the Bollywood number were both badly over processed, The Bollywood number was also over produced. All was forgiven, though, after I heard Ivy (Megan Hilty) sing Second Hand White Baby Grand. Wow, just wow! It was beautiful and it moved me. The bottom line is that, despite its unevenness I enjoyed this week's episode.
post #158 of 397 Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I enjoyed the 4/23 episode.
post #159 of 397 Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I enjoyed the episode too. Still not sure who I want as Marlyn, certainly not Uma.
post #160 of 397 Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I thought Bollywood was perfectly appropiate within context and alot of fun. Without this and the other numbers, this episode was unwatchable. Because they were there it was fun. I'd like to see the little PA on Game of Thrones, working for Littlefinger...he'd soon find out not to mess with people...or learn to be truly evil .

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #161 of 397 Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I thought Bollywood was perfectly appropiate within context and alot of fun. Without this and the other numbers, this episode was unwatchable. Because they were there it was fun. I'd like to see the little PA on Game of Thrones, working for Littlefinger...he'd soon find out not to mess with people...or learn to be truly evil .

I had read about the Bollywood fantasy number before I saw it and thought it had a chance to be good. For whatever reason, though, it just didn't do anything for me. That was surprising because I think Katharine McPhee is both beautiful and talented so I love most of her songs.

I agree that Eileen's assistant, Ellis, could do with a Game of Thrones beat down. Perhaps the Hound could give him a little extra "instruction."
post #162 of 397 Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

The only reason the ratings are holding up are:

1) It follows "Voice"
2) It's really just "Grey's Anatomy" set in the rehearsal hall ...

Here are this week's ratings according to the Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information thread in this forum:

NBC's "Smash" also grew from last week's series low, up 11 percent from a 1.9 to a 2.1 in the 10 p.m. timeslot, tying ABC's "20/20: Dance Floor Confidential: Behind the Scenes of DWTS" for first in the hour.

post #163 of 397 Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ And it still follows "TheVoice" (which I hear is ramping up the stakes) and It's still mostly Grey's ...

If it weren't for the musical numbers, I would have considered the past episode (along with most of previous ones) "unwatchable."
post #164 of 397 Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I thought Bollywood was perfectly appropiate within context and alot of fun. Without this and the other numbers, this episode was unwatchable. Because they were there it was fun.

But, it's not unwatchable in the same way that the non-singing portions of Glee are unwatchable. This show at least makes an attempt to cater to adults. The relationships and plots seem plausible and realistic, and the singing, as much as possible, doesn't seem awkwardly forced into the story. All in all, I'd say they're doing a very good job with a concept that is obviously not easy to do.
post #165 of 397 Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm still liking it a lot, though it has seemed to slip a bit lately in some areas. Overall though, it remains high on my list of shows not to miss. Just a few left before the end of the season, so things are getting interesting.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #166 of 397 Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
We've really been enjoying the show since day one. We were part of a test audience last year when we happened to be pulled off the street at Universal Studios. One of the questions was whether we would watch this or Castle? Well, we've been hooked on Castle for like four years now, but now we watch Smash and record Castle.

So anyway, I think the last couple eps have been down a bit from most of the earlier episodes, but there has to be a little lull before a climax. Overall this program is totally upbeat and nowhere as sappy, or soapy as Gray's, and we've never seen more than a just few minutes of Glee. And don't anyone think for a minute that Uma has anything more than a passing role in the long run.

It's good to finally have a decent drama from NBC (beyond Parenthood) after so many recent failures.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #167 of 397 Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

We've really been enjoying the show since day one. We were part of a test audience last year when we happened to be pulled off the street at Universal Studios. One of the questions was whether we would watch this or Castle? Well, we've been hooked on Castle for like four years now, but now we watch Smash and record Castle (we've never watch more than a few minutes of Glee).

So anyway, I think the last couple eps have been down a bit from most of the earlier episodes, but there has to be a little lull before a climax. Overall this program is totally upbeat and nowhere as sappy, or soapy as Grays. And don't anyone think for a minute that Uma has no more than a passing role in the long run.

It's good to finally have a decent drama from NBC (beyond Parenthood) after so many recent failures.

Like you, we have really enjoyed the show but thought that it went a bit off the rails last night in the soap opera aspects. Derek with Rebecca? Given his propensity to try to score anything in a skirt, it's entirely plausible. The man is a natural hound dog. The episode did highlight how naive and insecure Ivy is, despite her years in the biz. She really thought that Derek was genuinely telling her that he loved her? Hah! I read it as a more common use of the phrase between friends, co-workers, family members, etc. And then we have Karen and Dev, a match truly made in heaven..not! When Karen used the fact that she was in Tech as a way to avoid responding to Dev's proposal, my daughter,who "is in the biz" and has suffered through many tech rehersals, literally put a pillow over her face and groaned with a "please God, kill me now". She thought that it was ridiculous and devoid of any reality. Dev and the NYTimes reporter? Has there ever been a more transparent person than her? Is Dev that dense? Well, not totally. Of course Dev has not apparently tried to learn anything about the theatre world that Karen is trying to get a foothold in. The topper was Dev and Ivy and where the preview clearly had them heading. That's when the show jumped the shark for me. It's is still very good but they need to be a bit more careful about how mawkish that they try to make it. One nice thing was hearing Christian Borle get to sing again. It's what the man does and he does it very well. He was just nominated for a Tony for his role in Peter and the Star Catchers.
post #168 of 397 Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Like you, we have really enjoyed the show but thought that it went a bit off the rails last night in the soap opera aspects. Derek with Rebecca?

A little???? Good grief! This is rapidly turning into a generic CW show ... and not one of the good ones.

My eyes are still bleeding.
post #169 of 397 Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Yeah, too much for me last night.

post #170 of 397 Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Well, while it might not appeal to us, the ramped up soap opera aspects of the show seem to be working with a target audience. This show suddenly became water cooler conversation. I overheard a heated debate between several people yesterday about whether Dev and Ivy knew who each other were, or not. The debaters were clearly invested in their points of view.
post #171 of 397 Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If by 'target audience' you mean a smaller audience, then I guess you are correct, based on the plummeting ratings. We are still 4 episodes behind, but will get to them eventually, I suppose. We like the music, but both the wife and I agreed that after this season is over, we are done with it.

Too many silly plot lines, too many cardboard characters, and frankly, pretty terrible acting by McPhee. Hilty is pretty awesome in her role, though.
post #172 of 397 Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It's not art, and it deals in cliché, but I still like it.

CW Hinkle
post #173 of 397 Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I overheard a heated debate between several people yesterday about whether Dev and Ivy knew who each other were, or not.

Doesn't matter ... that "setup" was pretty much the last straw for me.

And furthermore, for a supposedly "adult" show, suddenly all the characters appear to be acting like (spoiled) high-school (or even middle-school) kids.

I guess I must being working from a different definition of "adult behavior," than the creators are ...
post #174 of 397 Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Doesn't matter ... that "setup" was pretty much the last straw for me.

And furthermore, for a supposedly "adult" show, suddenly all the characters appear to be acting like (spoiled) high-school (or even middle-school) kids.

I guess I must being working from a different definition of "adult behavior," than the creators are ...

You've not been around the dance world I take it?
post #175 of 397 Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Or actors, for that matter.
post #176 of 397 Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not in many years ... that's at least 3 re-boots in my past.

If this is how "adult" actors really live their lives, then I suppose I "get" why they seem to be so keen on shows with titles like "Arrested Development."

... or maybe I'm just old.

Either way, I gotta call "Uncle" after the Ivy-Dev scene ...
post #177 of 397 Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Quote:

You both beat me to it. Let's just say "show biz".

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #178 of 397 Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Either way, I gotta call "Uncle" after the Ivy-Dev scene ...

Yeah...that was Mozzarella with extra Gogonzola sauce smothered in Limberger.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #179 of 397 Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A little???? Good grief! This is rapidly turning into a generic CW show ... and not one of the good ones.

My eyes are still bleeding.

There are good ones?
post #180 of 397 Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

So anyway, I think the last couple eps have been down a bit from most of the earlier episodes, but there has to be a little lull before a climax.

I thought the last episode was one of the better ones... and generally it has been getting better.

Quote:

Calling it decent might be a little optimistic. My take is their storyline is based on one-dimensional characters where nothing is ever really developed. Rather it simply touches on the various arcs but never gets dragged down by them. For what it is I think they do it rather nicely.

If I'm not mistaken Ivy saw his picture and asked Karen about him. I loved the Ivy / Dev scene and thought they played it just right. Far more was not being said than said. Sort of reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut for some reason.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page