2012 GRAMMYs on CBS HD! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Major malfunction there at the end. Screen went completely black for quite a while towards the end of McCartney's last song.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Audio mix for the birds tonight Listen to The End with the drum solo. As soon as the guitar wars begin the base drops out. Poor audio mix. What's it set for auto?

I agree. They get a FAIL for the audio reproduction tonite. My sub was thumping more during commercials, I noticed Bruce Springsteen's guitar sounded terrible during the closing performance, and again, lots of equipment malfunctions during the whole show.

Nevertheless, this is the first time in years that I've watched this much of the Grammys, and it was good to see some of the greats I grew up listening to.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #93 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Oh, and congrats, Adele. Gotta love someone so unpretentious and un-Diva like. She's adorable and such a huge talent. I'm glad to see someone so deserving and gracious have such a big night.

..well put ...congrat-s ms adele !!
post #94 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow! What an ending! Paul et al. doing Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, and The End, complete with the drum solo (at least part of it) and the trading guitar licks among Paul and Joe Walsh and Bruce and Dave Grohl and the others.

Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Wow. What a way to end a show.

Indeed indeed indeed! Woo Hoo!

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #95 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Wow! What an ending! Paul et al. doing Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, and The End, complete with the drum solo (at least part of it) and the trading guitar licks among Paul and Joe Walsh and Bruce and Dave Grohl and the others.

Awesome.

It was. But didn't anyone notice the dynamics? That base drum should have kept going into the guitar solo. It dropped out as soon as the guitars started-- but it was still banging away.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #96 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I agree. They get a FAIL for the audio reproduction tonite. My sub was thumping more during commercials, I noticed Bruce Springsteen's guitar sounded terrible during the closing performance, and again, lots of equipment malfunctions during the whole show.

Nevertheless, this is the first time in years that I've watched this much of the Grammys, and it was good to see some of the greats I grew up listening to.

Thanks for the reply. Had to jump for the remote at the commercials to lower it.

Larry

post #97 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke View Post

We wouldn't know in Omaha as the local affiliate switched away right at 10:30 central time to local news in the middle of a song.

Call the station business office tomorrow. Ask for the Programming Manager.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #98 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke View Post

We wouldn't know in Omaha as the local affiliate switched away right at 10:30 central time to local news in the middle of a song.

Do what Ken said but just so you know it ended seconds after that. I had my DVR set for 11:30 (or 10:30 in your case) so my viewing ended and it went live. The song was over in less than a half a minute. But still complain.

Larry

post #99 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I guess I heard something different than some here- the sound was fine on WWJ Detroit. LOTS of bass, my floor was shaking for most of the broadcast. I used Audyssey to set up my system so the levels should be close to correct.

Not a bad show overall, on par with most recent outings. Not quite sure what was up with the Taylor Swift set, not to mention the costumes, seemed out of place. Enjoyed the Beach Boys, Glen Campbell sets, loved the Sir Paul ending, hard to believe he's 71!!!
post #100 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

...loved the Sir Paul ending, hard to believe he's 71!!!

Paul's 69.
post #101 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Paul's 69.

Oh, that's why it was so hard to believe.
post #102 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Paul's 69.

Glanced at my Directv cast info and it showed his birthday as something in 1942, so technically he could still be 69, but going on 70. I guess for some reason I'm already writing off 2012. My bad...
post #103 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Adele: Why do I keep thinking about KT Tunstall (Black Horse & Cherry Tree)?

Foo Fighters: Been listening to much Rush lately?

Just random thoughts on the evening's proceedings
post #104 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I like taylor swift but she should learn from Adele as that is how you graciously accept a standing ovation! Swift sometimes look to be faking it as there have been reactions in past award show where Swift seemed upset that there was no standing ovation!

Think the adoration for Adele was a bit much? Rihanna, with more number one hits than any other female artist in the last decade, never came close to that kind of reception.
post #105 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

this is over the line here this Nicki act. But I guess it's still open season on the Catholic church this week. Totally vulgar.

And internet bloggers thought Madonna's half time show had sacrilegious undertones and symbolism. Wonder what they will say about this performance?
post #106 of 161 Old 02-12-2012, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I give this little speech every year but this, alongside the Oscars, is probably the most complex difficult live programming all year (the Super Bowl for all its hype is still a football game at the end of the day). This show is the equivalent of not 20 performances but 20+ mini-concerts in 3 hours. It's like jumping on a speeding freight train from another moving freight train often with little rehearsal (and considering the show's rundown got blown up last night with the passing of Whitney Houston) I thought everything was handled very well.

Of course these guys are pros. I thought the music mix was really phenomenal (as is standard for this show). My sub was kicking during the David Guetta, DeadMau5 and Chris Brown segments, but even the quieter Tony Bennett segments sounded nice. I really loved the way Wouldn't It Be Nice sounded. Could've been an album recording.

Video quality was undoubtedly as good as you can expect and I know many of these guys have had a busy month coming off the Super Bowl and moving immediately onto the Academy Awards, but they did a fine job tonight. I heard the bass drop out of the final performance but all things considered, when you have show with 500+ microphones and minimal rehearsal (there have been years where this show has literally had to fly by the seat of its pants on air) I think the fact that it came off pretty well is a testament to the talent of those involved (even something simple like adding Whitney Houston to the In Memorium is a HUGE undertaking).

I don't think the average viewer grasps the gravity what they are doing on this show. They are on live television converting a stage from a Bruno Mars 8 piece band to a full orchestra for Paul McCartney often in the space of a commercial break (maybe 10 minutes total to do this) and it all has to work right -- often with little rehearsal with the actual artists. It's extraordinary and they pull it off every year somehow (its gotten a bit easier since 2000 when they first broke the stage out into 3 different performance spaces, but they've also added a lot more performances).

That being said the Grammys have become the new Oscars. It used to be the Oscars ran 3.5- 4 hours. Now the Oscars has gotten its time under control, and the Grammys are routinely running near midnight. But kudos to Louis J., and Ken Ehrlich and crew on a good show.

...all that being said Nikki Minaj (and probably Lady Gaga) really need to seek psychiatric help.
post #107 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 View Post

I don't think the average viewer grasps the gravity what they are doing on this show.

That's an understatement. Coming from a background in local TV, I've never worked on anything remotely of this scale. But knowing what it takes to pull off even seemingly simple things in a live situation, I am in awe when I watch a production like this. It is hard enough to mic and mix ONE band -- I have NO IDEA how they handle this many, and in such rapid succession. The fact that it sounds as good as it does is nothing short of amazing.

And let's face it -- the people who work on these shows are the cream of the crop. This is as good as it can humanly be. There isn't anyone who can do it better.
post #108 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I couldn't agree more. Having grown up playing in bands, working concerts as stage crew, and also working stage crew in summer stock productions, I can just imagine what it's like to run a 3.5 hr chinese firedrill with hundreds of participants and technolgy fighting every step of the way. I think we are a little bit jaded when we complain that the bass didn't sound as good as my pristine BD 7.1 master audio studio music.

My hat is off to the whole production crew for pulling off what was to me a very stunning and professional production.
post #109 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
By the way, I thought it was a little bit of a heart breaking moment at the end of Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy". They didn't shut off his mic and you could hear him asking which direction to get off stage.

I wish he had played "Wichita Lineman". That's my personal favorite.
post #110 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
ABCTV99, videojanitor, and mikeewing, thanks so much for your perspectives. You are right that most viewers don't really appreciate what goes on in the production of such a huge scale live event. From my layperson's perspective, even I could tell it was an outstanding production, and everyone involved in it deserves enormous praise and appreciation. They should all get the recognition they deserve.

Great show.
post #111 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

The Boss opens it up.

i think if the boss had sung "born to run" that would have brought down the house.
post #112 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Not sure why some people got bad audio, but other than a few technical glitches it sounded great to me.

Highs for me:
Adele
Foo Fighters (not involved in the rave)
Bruce
Taylor Swift
Coldplay without Rihanna
Bruno Mars (probably the most energetic performance of the night)
Tribute to Glen Campbell
Aldean and Kelly Clarkson
Bonnie Raitt and Alicia Keys' tribute to Etta James. Much more tasteful than Christina Aguilera's was last week
Katy Perry's bouncing boobs

Lows for me:
The entire idiotic dance/rave section
Nicki Minaj. Seriously, WTF was that?
Anything involving Chris Brown
Anything involving Paul McCartney. He's really showing his age
Lady Gaga's outfit. Seriously, sweetie, we get that you're a moron.
Rihanna semi-singing her own song (and I like the song)
Rihanna actually singing with Coldplay. Shows you why she lip-synchs most of the time
Jennifer Hudson's tribute to Whitney. Sorry, didn't enjoy it.
Taylor Swift's woe-as-me attitude that she seemingly affects after every performance. Good song, stupid reaction.
post #113 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

-- the people who work on these shows are the cream of the crop. This is as good as it can humanly be. There isn't anyone who can do it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

I think we are a little bit jaded when we complain that the bass didn't sound as good as my pristine BD 7.1 master audio studio music.
My hat is off to the whole production crew for pulling off what was to me a very stunning and professional production.

Quote:

...even I could tell it was an outstanding production, and everyone involved in it deserves enormous praise and appreciation. They should all get the recognition they deserve.

Kudos to all.

Since when can't we express our own experience here. No disrespect but before you say-- "I think we are a little bit jaded when we complain that the bass didn't sound as good as my pristine BD 7.1 master audio studio music." go back to your DVR and give a listen (agin) to the examples I cited here and tell me I'm jaded-- And this has nothing to do with the overall masterful production by the exceptional crew.

Larry

post #114 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I personally don't understand Best New Artist. Both Bon Iver and Nicki Minaj have been around more than a year, so how can they be considered new?
post #115 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

I couldn't agree more. Having grown up playing in bands, working concerts as stage crew, and also working stage crew in summer stock productions, I can just imagine what it's like to run a 3.5 hr chinese firedrill with hundreds of participants and technolgy fighting every step of the way. I think we are a little bit jaded when we complain that the bass didn't sound as good as my pristine BD 7.1 master audio studio music.

Exactly. I also work in tv (live sports production), and almost every production we do, even if there's only 10 mics, you are bound to have some kind of problems with at least 2 of them, with the mics themselves, connections, wireless interference, etc. It's amazing the work that goes into a production like this. A glitch here and there is absolutely acceptable.
post #116 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
Huge tune-in to honor Whitney Houston
CBS's Grammy Awards on pace for second-biggest audience
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Feb. 12, 2012

Viewers turned out in huge numbers to remember late singer Whitney Houston last night.

Early numbers suggest that CBS's Grammy Awards, which included several tributes to Houston, will draw their second-biggest audience ever, and a Houston-focused special on NBC drew "Dateline NBC's" best Sunday numbers since 2009.

The Grammys averaged 41.6 million total viewers from 8 to 11 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights.

That number, if it holds, will be up substantially from last year's 26.7 million and be the second-most-watched ceremony of all time.

But overnights only measure timeslot data, and they also do not account for time zone differences. Updated, more accurate numbers for the Grammys will be out later today.

The ceremony averaged a 14.4 in adults 18-49, up from a 10.3 last year.

Also last night, NBC's Houston-focused "Dateline" drew a 1.6 in 18-49s from 7 to 9 p.m., its best Sunday rating since August 2009. That included a 2.0 in its first hour, before the Grammys began.

Viewers were all about music last night. The evening's third-highest-rated show was CBS's "60 Minutes," which aired the hour before the Grammys and featured an interview with big Grammy winner Adele, who was performing on the telecast for the first time since having throat surgery.

"Minutes" averaged a 2.9 rating.

ABC had the night's second-highest-rated show, "Once Upon A Time," which drew a very respectable 3.0 despite airing against the first hour of the Grammys.

Not surprisingly, CBS was first for the night among 18-49s with an 11.5 average overnight rating and a 27 share. ABC was second at 1.9/4, Fox third at 1.7/4, NBC fourth at 1.5/4, Univision fifth at 1.1/2 and Telemundo sixth at 0.2/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won't be available for several weeks. Forty-three percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

CBS led each hour of the night, beginning with a 2.9 at 7 p.m. for "Minutes," while ABC and NBC tied for second at 2.0, ABC for "America's Funniest Home Videos" and NBC for "Dateline." Fox was fourth with a 1.0 for a repeat of "Bob's Burgers" (0.7) and a new "Cleveland Show" (1.2), Univision fifth with a 0.7 for "Dale con Ganas" and Telemundo sixth with a 0.3 for "Pa'lante con Cristina."

At 8 p.m. CBS was first with a 13.8 for the Grammys, followed by ABC with a 3.0 for "Time." Fox was third with a 1.9 for "The Simpsons" (2.0) and "Napoleon Dynamite" (1.7). NBC and Univision tied for fourth at 1.2, NBC for more "Dateline" and Univision for its first hour of "Parodiando," and Telemundo was sixth with a 0.2 for more "Cristina."

CBS finished first at 9 p.m. with a 14.9 for the Grammys, while Fox moved to second with a 2.1 for "Family Guy" (2.5) and "American Dad" (1.7). ABC was third with a series-low 1.8 for "Desperate Housewives," Univision fourth with a 1.4 for more "Parodiando," NBC fifth with a 1.3 for "Fear Factor" and Telemundo sixth with a 0.2 for the movie "The Bourne Ultimatum."

At 10 p.m. CBS was first with a 14.6 for the Grammys, with NBC a distant second with a 1.6 for more "Factor." Univision was third with a 0.9 for "Sal y Pimienta," ABC fourth with a series-low 0.7 for "Pan Am" and Telemundo fifth with a 0.2 for its movie.

CBS was also first for the night among households with a 19.1 average overnight rating and a 29 share. ABC was second at 3.8/6, NBC third at 3.3/5, Fox fourth at 2.1/3, Univision fifth at 1.3/2 and Telemundo sixth at 0.3/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ey-Houston.asp
post #117 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Except for the terrible tribute to club music, it was one of the fastest moving awards shows that I think I've ever watched. Is it just me or do they not give out all that many awards at the Grammys? I think I can remember 5 or 6.
post #118 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Except for the terrible tribute to club music, it was one of the fastest moving awards shows that I think I've ever watched. Is it just me or do they not give out all that many awards at the Grammys? I think I can remember 5 or 6.

Extremely high commercial break to program ratio last night. There was a lot of planned in "downtime," seemed like more than previous years, but at least it ended "on-time."

But yeah, most of the awards are given out long before the award-show starts.
post #119 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 View Post

I really loved the way Wouldn't It Be Nice sounded. Could've been an album recording.

This was one of the highlights that I won't soon forget. Foster the People did a great job. Mark Foster sounded a lot like Brian Wilson. If you haven't yet, check out their album "Torches". Good stuff.

The other highlight to me was Adele's performance of "Rolling". I am so sick of that song! It's been way overplayed, but she just stood there and sung it so well that I was stuck to the screen, regardless. Amazing.

Another note: The Foo Fighters are a REAL rock band. They don't sound as clean and clear as their recordings, but that's what rock is supposed to be like. "Wasting Light" is their best album ever, IMHO, and I was glad to see them as a part of the show.
post #120 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Nearly non-existent lfe bass at my house via comcast in PDX. I even stopped to check my calibration at one point.

ron
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page